Forums / Discussion / General

232,902 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Love Despite: A KS Homage Visual Novel

Last posted Jan 15, 2013 at 10:45AM EST. Added Jan 09, 2013 at 12:07AM EST
9 posts from 6 users

The website being in-universe, I can't really decipher anything about the origins of the novel, and a quick glance over the blog revealed it won't be ready for quite some time. It has a definite chance to suck, but the artwork looks pretty good, at least. It will be interesting to see if it adds any mechanics or plot elements to be as distinct from KS as possible, which I think has potential to be problematic, or if it plays it straight and just tries to tell a good story. Heck, it might not be competing with KS at all.

I think the biggest hurdle for it, for me at least, would be overcoming the inevitable "I'd rather be playing KS right now." Another possible problem: is the game shooting to be AS GOOD as KS, or better? Because that might affect the quality. And again just make me want to play KS.

The characters have a chance to be hollow shadows of their KS counterparts, and feel cheap overall while maintaining only a superficial connection to their audience. The artwork and design are flashy and look great, but it could be a mere distraction from a myriad of storytelling problems we know nothing about.

Or it could be freaking amazing. You never know. It looks pretty good to me, just from my quick once-over. In any case, it won't be released for a while. Did it ever acknowledge KS as its direct inspiration? Granted, I looked at the website and blog for no more than five minutes, but I didn't see any reference to it.

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

The website being in-universe, I can't really decipher anything about the origins of the novel, and a quick glance over the blog revealed it won't be ready for quite some time. It has a definite chance to suck, but the artwork looks pretty good, at least. It will be interesting to see if it adds any mechanics or plot elements to be as distinct from KS as possible, which I think has potential to be problematic, or if it plays it straight and just tries to tell a good story. Heck, it might not be competing with KS at all.

I think the biggest hurdle for it, for me at least, would be overcoming the inevitable "I'd rather be playing KS right now." Another possible problem: is the game shooting to be AS GOOD as KS, or better? Because that might affect the quality. And again just make me want to play KS.

The characters have a chance to be hollow shadows of their KS counterparts, and feel cheap overall while maintaining only a superficial connection to their audience. The artwork and design are flashy and look great, but it could be a mere distraction from a myriad of storytelling problems we know nothing about.

Or it could be freaking amazing. You never know. It looks pretty good to me, just from my quick once-over. In any case, it won't be released for a while. Did it ever acknowledge KS as its direct inspiration? Granted, I looked at the website and blog for no more than five minutes, but I didn't see any reference to it.

Yes. This.

Saw this thread after searching for their website, decided to post what I know of it.

From what I can tell they formed on the 11th last year since they just had an anniversary post and tried to form a KS sequel that got denied by members of FourLeaf Studios. So they reformed into Love Despite as their own story and decided to go in a bit of a new direction.

Pretty sure they still respect the KS team and they have a cameo towards KS in their work study part of the website. So it seems like their act is together. I've lurked on it for a while and it's slow, but they seem to be getting things done.

Might be bad, might be good, so far it looks pretty good. They just updated their faculty page too. Here's to hoping they stick it out and make it. (And it doesn't take 5 years, hah)

Why do we have like five threads about this game.

Can't you all control your love for your waifus wait what the fuck am I saying of course you can't.

But seriously, do we really need this many threads.

Fridge wrote:

Why do we have like five threads about this game.

Can't you all control your love for your waifus wait what the fuck am I saying of course you can't.

But seriously, do we really need this many threads.

>Implying this is a thread about Katawa Shoujo

Ehh… I'm not a fan of the art style. (Not that that's any basis to judge the game on mind you; I imagine that's how non-anime fans felt when stumbling onto KS) I won't disregard it now, but I'll wait to see what everyone says. By the way, wasn't Missing Stars another KS-Inspired VN?

Reticent wrote:

Ehh… I'm not a fan of the art style. (Not that that's any basis to judge the game on mind you; I imagine that's how non-anime fans felt when stumbling onto KS) I won't disregard it now, but I'll wait to see what everyone says. By the way, wasn't Missing Stars another KS-Inspired VN?

Yeah i'm pretty sure it was, but their blog posts really have me thinking like its a lost cause. Plus i'm not sure how i feel about mental disorders.

Also looks like love despite posted up an "ask the characters" thing. Kind of cool.

http://blog.love-despite.com/2013/01/15/ask-the-cast/

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!