Forums / Discussion / General

232,887 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

R.I.P MSN Messenger

Last posted Jan 17, 2013 at 05:00PM EST. Added Jan 16, 2013 at 10:48PM EST
8 posts from 7 users

If you have an MSN account, you should have gotten this recently

Hello,

We are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

Update Now

Yours sincerely,
The Messenger Team

This is of course a result of Microsofts buyout of Skype. Microsoft always heeded the motto: "If you can't beat em, buy em" and the aquisition of Skype will do well in their favor. Skype is a superior messenger service in many more ways than MSN would ever be.

However, this still marks a great end of an era. MSN was famous for being…well, MSN in all it's horror. Like IE, it was the app that never succeeded but courageously just kept trying. Also, MSN was the messenger that many of us grew up on. I remember when MSN just a box that sent text messages and nothing more. That childhood is now going down with the famous app.

Also what's going to happen to the KYM-Brony Brotherhood group on MSN? is that going to move to Skype or what?

Me? Well I already have Skype, easy

Proxy into China

I don't think MSN is worth the effort. I started hating the service long ago after my old account got corrupted. I only started using it again for the KYMBB and I would still sooner use Steam chat

I think MS was wise to just drop it altogether.

The only thing I expect to happen is a flood of potential whines coming from the "I HATE CHANGE" crowd.

Last edited Jan 16, 2013 at 11:27PM EST

That was a secreeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhht…

And we were aware. Get in touch with opspe. PM me for my contact info. The group is already set-up (has been for a couple of weeks now.)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!