Forums / Discussion / General

232,903 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

NINTENDO DIRECT 1/23/13

Last posted Jan 25, 2013 at 01:12PM EST. Added Jan 23, 2013 at 04:13PM EST
26 posts from 16 users

I could hardly tell what Iwata was saying at some points, so I only skipped to parts that visualy seemed interesting. I guess I missed him saying the things that would be mentioned at E3

DID SOMEONE SAY WIND WAKER HD? OMGOMGOMGBJBFJBDBFBDSKZKJBFKVBKDFHBVOMGNJJDSBZJBFBVJKBKZVBFZBVOMG
JDFZLJKNZDKJNJVJOMGDDHBVJDFVJKOMGFBFBJZBSKBZDOMGHBJHBZKBJFOMGBDBGJD
BKOMGOMGOMGBKKDZJBLLBJLBOMG.
Ahem.

Looks good so far. It's good to know we're getting some good games soon. Can't wait for E3, maybe Ninty will make up for last year's admittedly disappointing show. Then again, as soon as you bring Smash Bros. into play, you've basically already won.

Last edited Jan 23, 2013 at 04:32PM EST

I was looking for a reason to start another Legend of Zelda thread.

…Ok, I was probably going to do it at some point anyway, but as more details come out on Wind Waker HD, I'll do it without feeling guilty.

Verbose wrote:

I was looking for a reason to start another Legend of Zelda thread.

…Ok, I was probably going to do it at some point anyway, but as more details come out on Wind Waker HD, I'll do it without feeling guilty.

That was a very short post for you.

Anyway, I think Nintendo really hit a gold mine with the idea of Nintendo Direct. They hype people up so much that we're excited to hear the news regardless of what it is. The hype can make an average announcement sound exciting.

The announcement was really good. Not only did we get SMT X FE, Wind Waker HD, Yarn Yoshi, Xenoblade 2 (?), more Wonderful 101 footage and some Bayonetta 2 footage.

But we also got Iwata confirming that A new 3D mario game, a new Zelda game, a new Mario Kart and the new Smash Brothers will be shown or at least given some light at E3 this year.

What, no discussion about the announcement of a new Zelda title?

I'm a bit worried, personally. I love Zelda, and hopefully, it'll be great, but with the way they botched Skyward Sword, I can't help but be afraid of the same thing, especially since they talked about "redefining" the conventions of Zelda.

Teh Brawler wrote:

I'm a bit worried, personally. I love Zelda, and hopefully, it'll be great, but with the way they botched Skyward Sword, I can't help but be afraid of the same thing, especially since they talked about "redefining" the conventions of Zelda.

Skyward Sword was one of my favorites, actually. Up with OoT and WW.

Pretty darn high scores, too. I'm actually looking forward to see how they pull off doing dungeons in a non-linear way.

That about sums it up. Aside from the Virtual Console news which sucks that they're created a third market to buy games on which can't be shared. They haven't mentioned anything about dedicated accounts in months that can have downloads linked to rather than having to rebuy games on Wii, 3DS and Wii U.

It seems like we'll be getting the dripfeed of VC games on Wii U like we had with the 3DS _

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 01:32AM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

I don't know why it got such high scores, in my opinion, it was pretty mediocre.

I do agree with you on this, Skyward Sword was pretty mediocre. It's a bit like Other M, Fans hate it, reviewers love it. Speaking of Metroid, maybe we'll get a new game this year?

THAT'S What I Am Talking About! Nintendo is finally getting out all the games people buy their systems for, lawl.

Skyward Sword was not the best Zelda game. Much of it's focus was in Controls (which where fantastic in my opinion) and not in Art Design (conflicting art styles are an eye sore to me) or Story (besides the ending, wasn't that thrilling); which I feel was sort of the problem with many Wii Games. Too much focus on one category at a time.

Here's to wishing for a brighter future.

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 04:28AM EST

Sorry for double post, but watching the Zelda Explanation caught my ear on something:
~They wish to address the linear aspect of the series.
~They also want to address the pure single-player aspect of the series.

My mind is already trying to work out how this is going to work, but I already can tell a few things:
1. This game may be like the classic megaman series in terms of Dungeon Order and Boss Design, but still having an open Overworld (but perhaps more like Oblivion/Skyrim). This is a huge gameplay changer in itself, and I am already getting hyped up about it.
2. There is going to be Multiplayer. I wouldn't bet money on it being a 3D 4Sword Adventure, but there is going to be at least one more playable character in here. This is getting a few ideas flowing:
~To convey story, Link and the other protagonist may communicate to each other as they are progressing though the levels similar to Last Story or Xenoblade. Though this would break probably one of the biggest rules of any old Main Nintendo Series, it would add a lot of depth.
~Suddenly, you have Puzzles with the depth of Portal 2. Though they may change depending on if Single or Multiplayer is active.
~Zelda might finally be playable. Or maybe another, new girl. Or maybe an Obligatory Yaoi Pairing for Link.

My thoughts are jumbled at the moment, but yeah. This is getting me pumped.

Thoughts on Wind Waker:
~They promise to "Tune up overall game experience".

If that allows instant direction change of Wind (or Auto Direction Change), use The Cannon, Bow, and Boomerang while using the sail at the same time, and maybe shorter Sailing Times, I am all game.

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 05:18AM EST

Teh Brawler wrote:

For the longest time, people complained that Zelda was the same thing year after year but whenever Nintendo tries to change it up, people cry foul.

I got Skyward Sword at launch but I frankly haven't been able to play it yet because my damn Wii died (no one to blame but myself, I modded it pretty severely) so I have to wait till I have a WiiU to play the damn thing.

Random21 wrote:

I do agree with you on this, Skyward Sword was pretty mediocre. It’s a bit like Other M, Fans hate it, reviewers love it.

Other M is the lowest rated Metroid title of all time. And before you say "It has a 79 on metacritic!" Anything lower than an 8 is terrible considering how easy it is to get 10/10 and 9/10 scores these days.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Sorry for double post, but watching the Zelda Explanation caught my ear on something:
~They wish to address the linear aspect of the series.
~They also want to address the pure single-player aspect of the series.

My mind is already trying to work out how this is going to work, but I already can tell a few things:
1. This game may be like the classic megaman series in terms of Dungeon Order and Boss Design, but still having an open Overworld (but perhaps more like Oblivion/Skyrim). This is a huge gameplay changer in itself, and I am already getting hyped up about it.
2. There is going to be Multiplayer. I wouldn't bet money on it being a 3D 4Sword Adventure, but there is going to be at least one more playable character in here. This is getting a few ideas flowing:
~To convey story, Link and the other protagonist may communicate to each other as they are progressing though the levels similar to Last Story or Xenoblade. Though this would break probably one of the biggest rules of any old Main Nintendo Series, it would add a lot of depth.
~Suddenly, you have Puzzles with the depth of Portal 2. Though they may change depending on if Single or Multiplayer is active.
~Zelda might finally be playable. Or maybe another, new girl. Or maybe an Obligatory Yaoi Pairing for Link.

My thoughts are jumbled at the moment, but yeah. This is getting me pumped.

Thoughts on Wind Waker:
~They promise to "Tune up overall game experience".

If that allows instant direction change of Wind (or Auto Direction Change), use The Cannon, Bow, and Boomerang while using the sail at the same time, and maybe shorter Sailing Times, I am all game.

But the long sailing times were one of my favorite parts! They gave the game a huge feel that gave a sense of accomplishment and exploration.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!