Forums / Discussion / General

170,541 total conversations in 5,575 threads

+ New Thread

Disney announces more Star Wars movies

Last posted Feb 09, 2013 at 06:00PM EST. Added Feb 07, 2013 at 11:46PM EST
20 posts from 15 users

Well is it a bad thing that the backstories behind certain characters are needed? (not rhetorical)

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:52PM EST

People are talking about a film focusing on Han Solo, his backstory, his previous ties with Jabba and Boba Fett, etc etc

That actually sounds like a really good idea.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:27AM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Quigon Jin, Yoda, or even Kyle Katarn anyone?

novels ’nuff said.

Last edited Feb 08, 2013 at 09:03AM EST
Feb 08, 2013 at 09:00AM EST

Oddly enough, I heard about this on NPR yesterday. I wouldn’t be annoyed or bothered at all by the fact that Disney is making more Star Wars movies if not for the fact that the series is supposed to be finished. Of course, I’ll be waiting to see how they handle this, and I think that the brief synopses that have been floating around sound interesting.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:42AM EST

Other characters? I thought it would be a continuation of Star Wars book, I mean, after Episode VI, Luke becomes a Jedi master and forms what is in the book, the New Jedi Order, after the destruction of the Empire and the death of Darth Sidius (Palpatine), Luke will be the new master of these new apprentices

Do you think this new apprentices will do the other characters?

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:16PM EST

I hope they do something about the enormous power vacuum that exists after the Empire falls.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:45PM EST

Zetsumei von Kiddo wrote:

How about a The Force Unleashed live-action movie starting from the light side ending of TFU II?

I did have an idea for a Force Unleashed movie, but it would have different music instead of the same music that’s always appeared throughout the franchise.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:58PM EST

Dr. Prof. Medic wrote:

Other characters? I thought it would be a continuation of Star Wars book, I mean, after Episode VI, Luke becomes a Jedi master and forms what is in the book, the New Jedi Order, after the destruction of the Empire and the death of Darth Sidius (Palpatine), Luke will be the new master of these new apprentices

Do you think this new apprentices will do the other characters?

I hope not. Most of the Expanded Universe is chalk full of ridiculous plotlines, stuff that repeats itself, and shark jumping.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:03PM EST

ConnerABacon wrote:

I hope they do something about the enormous power vacuum that exists after the Empire falls.

The Galaxy became The Republic, the Remnant, and many a sovereign state in the Extended Universe.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:10PM EST

I wouldn’t mind a Han Solo movie. There’s enough expanded universe source material to make something decent out of it, and they can just retcon the parts that don’t work.

My fundamental worry about the new films is that they retcon too much. The expanded universe is a thirty-year experiment, and I wouldn’t want to see all that I know about the Galaxy wiped away in one fell sweep from Abrams. Especially the Yuuzhan Vong, them niggas cray.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:16PM EST

Fridge wrote:

I wouldn’t mind a Han Solo movie. There’s enough expanded universe source material to make something decent out of it, and they can just retcon the parts that don’t work.

My fundamental worry about the new films is that they retcon too much. The expanded universe is a thirty-year experiment, and I wouldn’t want to see all that I know about the Galaxy wiped away in one fell sweep from Abrams. Especially the Yuuzhan Vong, them niggas cray.

The Yuuzhan Vong is something I do want to see, but fuck almost everything else. We don’t need to bring the Emperor back from the dead or the Sith coming back plotlines that are almost identical to the original saga, or the Sun Crusher or any of that.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:05PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

The Yuuzhan Vong is something I do want to see, but fuck almost everything else. We don’t need to bring the Emperor back from the dead or the Sith coming back plotlines that are almost identical to the original saga, or the Sun Crusher or any of that.

I have the inverse view. I didn’t care much for anything going from Yavin to The YV Invasion, but I enjoyed all the extras and other stories outside of the Skywalker and the rest of the Avengers.

Chewbacca dying is bullshit though.
Feb 08, 2013 at 10:15PM EST

I’m not exactly an extreme SW nerd or consider myself part of the fandom, but I know the feel always of that big suspense whenever a new company tries to take a franchise. Disney’s capable, but hopefully it won’t end up like the live-action Halo videos that just took a bazillion quotes from the older stuff and tried to ride off nostalgia.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:01AM EST

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

Oddly enough, I heard about this on NPR yesterday. I wouldn’t be annoyed or bothered at all by the fact that Disney is making more Star Wars movies if not for the fact that the series is supposed to be finished. Of course, I’ll be waiting to see how they handle this, and I think that the brief synopses that have been floating around sound interesting.

While I agree that the sky walker story ark is finished, Star Wars is full of so many things ready to be explored more. So I’m pretty excited for this.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:58PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

Well, I liked all of that. It was enjoyable. Star Wars was based off sci-fi pulp, anyway, so the fact that some of its tertiary content happens to be pulp itself isn’t a problem to me. It’s all fun (Although I admit Jacen Solo turning to the Dark Side and the whole Second Galactic Civil War arc was some dumbass nigga shit.)

I used to read about all these stories when I was a kid, and they were ten times better than fucking Attack of the Clones, which remains the only Star Wars film I’ve actually seen in the theaters. I got so much more enjoyment from these stories than the movies, which at that time were attempting to be serious to a fault.

Star Wars isn’t hard sci-fi; in fact, I’d call it fantasy sci-fi before anything else. You have knights, princesses, scoundrels, an evil emperor and his dragon, and so on. It’s not meant to be cerebral, it’s just meant to be fun. That’s what George Lucas was trying to invoke before he lost all his good will; he wanted to make audiences have a good time, and it made him rich and gave us something we could love and obsess over for 30 years. If J.J. Abrams manages to maintain that spirit (and stay the hell away from canon) I believe we are in for a great time.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:00PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!