Forums / General

195,803 total conversations in 5,394 threads

+ New Thread

What's your political slant?

Last posted Feb 24, 2013 at 01:43PM EST. Added Feb 19, 2013 at 06:48PM EST
70 conversations with 37 participants

chowzburgerz wrote:

May I mention something? Today, a poll revealed that Obama’s approval rating reached a new high at 55% for the first time in three years while the GOP has reached a new low of 35%. How do you guys feel about that?

GOP has a brand problem.

That’s what I think.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:54AM EST

Katie C. wrote:

You must really hate education.

Just joking, but I gotta ask, why?

Btw you forgot UKIP, which is polling around the same or above Lib Dems last time I checked.

It’s realy in my eyes the lesser now that you mention UKIP a lesser of four evils (But to be honest i’m not even out of education and i am not old enough to vote it just seems that way)

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:10PM EST

Katie C. wrote:

3: Yugoslavia was a developed, industrialized nation. And no, 7% is not a given in an industrializing nation. Very few nations in the world have growth 7% or higher. Yugoslavia did meet its tenets adequately in the long run, what screwed it up was getting bullied by the IMF and CIA, then caving to their demands, turning into the Greece of their time by privatizing everything and taking bad loans. The crash wasn’t from a failure at communism, it was because of foreign economic pressure followed with a full ideological shift.

7: Slow revolution can also screw up, it’s just less apparent because it’s not seen as revolution. Everyone remembers it if things go wrong fast, people remember if things go right fast, or if they go right slow, but people don’t seem to be attentive of when it happens slowly.

8: For Keynes, see this. http://www.libertyjuice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/unemployment-new-deal.jpg

Here’s a few notes: FDR managed to keep those parts of the New Deal constitutional by having it reinterpreted after having the amount of Supreme Court justices risen from 5 to 9.

Also, the Second New Deal started in ’35, not ’37 as the table claims.

Spending cuts occurred in ’37, and an economic stimulus came in ’38. Funny, the graph seems to drop as you spend money.

Now, for Smith, that’s not what an Invisible Hand means, it’s actually about morality in one book of his, and I’ll get to the other later. “The proud and unfeeling landlord views his extensive fields, and without a thought for the wants of his brethren, in imagination consumes himself the whole harvest … [Yet] the capacity of his stomach bears no proportion to the immensity of his desires … the rest he will be obliged to distribute among those, who prepare, in the nicest manner, that little which he himself makes use of, among those who fit up the palace in which this little is to be consumed, among those who provide and keep in order all the different baubles and trinkets which are employed in the economy of greatness; all of whom thus derive from his luxury and caprice, that share of the necessaries of life, which they would in vain have expected from his humanity or his justice…The rich…are led by an invisible hand to make nearly the same distribution of the necessaries of life, which would have been made, had the earth been divided into equal portions among all its inhabitants, and thus without intending it, without knowing it, advance the interest of the society…” An Invisible Hand does appear in The Wealth of Nations, but it still has nothing to do with regulation. “By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry, he intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention. Nor is it always the worse for the society that it was not part of it. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good. It is an affectation, indeed, not very common among merchants, and very few words need be employed in dissuading them from it.”

By the way, Adam Smith was actually pro regulation, especially when banks were involved.

3 Well, that’s one interpretation of how things came crashing down.

And despite the supposed economic prosperity of Yugoslavia, I highly doubt it ever came close to the US or even West Germany at the time. Interesting fact, though. Wonder why we never learn about it in school. I BLAME OBAMA

7 Murphy’s Law.

8. No, the New Deal did work for employing people. That was the whole point. It just wasn’t really effective at fixing the economy (though it did help out a bit). No, you needed the war to do that.

That is exactly what the invisible hand is. Seems like he decided to apply the concept to morality as well. It’s a good analogy is all, regardless of whether it rings true or not.

And yeah, he was pro regulation. I believed he was a bit chafed about industrialization and the path it took before he died.

The GOP has gotten a really bad rep nowadays because of its entire representation in mainstream media is Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck, Rick Santorum, and the Tea Party.

Last edited Feb 22, 2013 at 08:10PM EST
Feb 22, 2013 at 08:02PM EST

Huh. Apparently I’m like Gandhi.

edit: oh dammit. &amp error strikes again!

here’s the actual page:

Last edited Feb 22, 2013 at 08:25PM EST
Feb 22, 2013 at 08:22PM EST

I’m everything that is logically good liberal-wise, conservative-wise and anything in between. Need better economic techniques, think conservative. Need better civil rights, think liberal. And all of that other good stuff that we need. We need politicians who think through both views and beyond w/o being biased.

Remember, everything ain’t black and white, there’s an array of colors to abide by.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:16PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

May I mention something? Today, a poll revealed that Obama’s approval rating reached a new high at 55% for the first time in three years while the GOP has reached a new low of 35%. How do you guys feel about that?

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:00PM EST

I don’t stand for any side, really. As long as someone sounds good, that’s who I like. Doesn’t matter what political party. Because you know, George Washington SPECIFICALLY STATED that he didn’t want opposing political parties to be formed. Looks like we really listened to him. The first president. Good job, America. Now clap slowly in a sarcastic manner.

http://www.thirty-thousand.org/pages/Baneful_Parties.htm

Last edited Feb 22, 2013 at 11:20PM EST
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:09PM EST

Myconix wrote:

[citation needed]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/02/20/obama-approval-rating_n_2729342.html

Aren’t you Republican?

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:56PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/02/20/obama-approval-rating_n_2729342.html

Aren’t you Republican?

That’s an odd question to ask in response to that. If he was Republican, why would he be expected to read a liberal website?

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:05AM EST

Crimson Locks wrote:

That’s an odd question to ask in response to that. If he was Republican, why would he be expected to read a liberal website?

Well, Yahoo is a liberal website and the comments are full of conservatives.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:12AM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Aren’t you Republican?

You do realize Huffington Post is an advocacy newspaper, right? And does it really matter?

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:24AM EST

Myconix wrote:

You do realize Huffington Post is an advocacy newspaper, right? And does it really matter?

Well, since this thread is all about political slant, then yes you’re political slant does matter.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:25AM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Well, since this thread is all about political slant, then yes you’re political slant does matter.

Well, if you saw my previous post, you’d know that I’m a minarchist.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:27AM EST

Myconix wrote:

Well, if you saw my previous post, you’d know that I’m a minarchist.

Oh sorry I forgot. Please forgive me.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:37AM EST

Spider-byte wrote:

It’s realy in my eyes the lesser now that you mention UKIP a lesser of four evils (But to be honest i’m not even out of education and i am not old enough to vote it just seems that way)

The reason why I really disrespect the Lib Dems right now is because they became the Tories’ bitches after the 2010 election and even voted for the massive tuition hike to 9000! pounds, despite promising to keep education cuts off the table. After that, Nick Clegg gave an apology, not for raising the tuition, but for promising to protect education in the first place, IE Nick Clegg is the Obama of the UK, and makes left wing promises while delivering right wing results and still trying to sell themselves as a left wing party which will put pressure on the Tories, meanwhile caving to the furthest right Tory era in history.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:29AM EST

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

3 Well, that’s one interpretation of how things came crashing down.

And despite the supposed economic prosperity of Yugoslavia, I highly doubt it ever came close to the US or even West Germany at the time. Interesting fact, though. Wonder why we never learn about it in school. I BLAME OBAMA

7 Murphy’s Law.

8. No, the New Deal did work for employing people. That was the whole point. It just wasn’t really effective at fixing the economy (though it did help out a bit). No, you needed the war to do that.

That is exactly what the invisible hand is. Seems like he decided to apply the concept to morality as well. It’s a good analogy is all, regardless of whether it rings true or not.

And yeah, he was pro regulation. I believed he was a bit chafed about industrialization and the path it took before he died.

The GOP has gotten a really bad rep nowadays because of its entire representation in mainstream media is Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck, Rick Santorum, and the Tea Party.

8 See graph

The morality one was in a book quite a while before The Wealth of Nations.

And it’s not an invisible hand that regulates the economy. That comes from misquotes.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:06AM EST

I’m often leaning towards the right when it comes to economic decisions, such as going against the banning of guns, but I almost always lean towards the left when it comes to moral and social decisions, such as allowing gay marriage and marijuana.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:37PM EST

I’m a conflicted semi-liberal. I believe that gay marriage should be legalized and allowed. I believe that assault weapons and marijuana should not, and I’m not going to explain why for fear of starting a political shitstorm, or at least not continuing the one that’s already going.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:50PM EST

Me? Well, I hate materialism when it is taken to excess, but I don’t have problems with capitalism per se, just with people using dirty tricks to screw each other over. I do think of poverty as a problem and often find myself wishing that I could do something to help those less fortunate than myself, so… Hmm… I guess I’d say that I’m a liberal, but not to the wacky extent that you often see on TV. I’m a very odd blend of pragmatism and idealism.

I’m also both religious and scientifically-minded… how’s that for a mind screw?

Last edited Feb 24, 2013 at 01:44PM EST
Feb 24, 2013 at 01:43PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!