Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

PlayStation Meeting 2013: PS4 Announcement

Last posted Feb 23, 2013 at 10:46PM EST. Added Feb 20, 2013 at 06:17PM EST
40 posts from 26 users

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-announcement/

"We were able to create in PlayStation 4 a system by game creators, for game creators," Cerny said. As far as specs, he said it runs on x86 architecture, a "highly enhanced" PC GPU (with "almost 2 teraflops of performance," he added), an unknown amount of local HDD storage, and 8GB of GDDR5 system memory.

So the next Playstation will be more powerful than today's mid-tier computers.
The 32-bit architecture might prove to be a mistake (hackers and such).

"Looks to have a gpu similar to the 7870 based on the teraflops alone".

So the grahics are going to be awesome. (DirectX 11 / OpenGL 4.2 level)

Specs are looking awesome.

PS4 will NOT have native ps3 backwards-compatability
PS3 UI and Interface

Last edited Feb 20, 2013 at 07:04PM EST

­­­­­­­­­­ wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-announcement/

"We were able to create in PlayStation 4 a system by game creators, for game creators," Cerny said. As far as specs, he said it runs on x86 architecture, a "highly enhanced" PC GPU (with "almost 2 teraflops of performance," he added), an unknown amount of local HDD storage, and 8GB of GDDR5 system memory.

So the next Playstation will be more powerful than today's mid-tier computers.
The 32-bit architecture might prove to be a mistake (hackers and such).

"Looks to have a gpu similar to the 7870 based on the teraflops alone".

So the grahics are going to be awesome. (DirectX 11 / OpenGL 4.2 level)

Specs are looking awesome.

PS4 will NOT have native ps3 backwards-compatability
PS3 UI and Interface

What about design?

BlackWolf, The Midnight Pirate wrote:

What about design?

This was leaked a few days ago:

The controller turned out to be true. I don't think Sony has finalized the PS4 design yet. There is still a lot of time before it will become available to the general public.

or

Its possible that they will show the design now, but somehow that seems unlikely.

Have to say I'm skeptical of that console design; I'd forgive a new system being a bit bigger than the old, but there's no way it could be that much bigger. That and, or maybe I'm just blind, but I don't see a Sony logo or anything on it. I dunno. Costs are supposed to be around $429 to $529 depending on the specs, which is a good hundred cheaper than the PS3 launched for, so that's nice. Graphics look really good, even though I only caught Killzone and The Witness.

I'd be stoked if I didn't know I'd have no use for such a big game system at college next year. Oh well, since my dad still insists on buying all the Call of Duty games I'm sure I'll just bum it off him during break.

Can't wait for Infamous First Son.
Didn't really catch anything about backwards compatibility, though.

Infamous Second Son

I too am excited for this game.

I was looking forward to it, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting it, especially since I'll be investing in a gaming PC. I don't like the cloud and I'm disappointed that I won't be able to use my PS3 games on it.

Having no backwards compatability is a huge turn off for me and I'm pretty anxious of the price after seeing the specs and processing demo.

Nether the less the hardware is very impressive and so are a few features, instant boot up and streaming, second chip for downloading and play as you download, recommendations and social pages…

If it dosen't happend to cost arms and legs and there are actually games on this I'd be pretty excited to get it, otherwise I'll just wait and see if any more good games get announced on the PS4.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED:Activision Blizzard confrimed to plan world domination with Sony!
Inform nintendo immediately and light up the Reggie-Signal!

Last edited Feb 21, 2013 at 02:32AM EST

­­­­­­­­­­ wrote:

This was leaked a few days ago:

The controller turned out to be true. I don't think Sony has finalized the PS4 design yet. There is still a lot of time before it will become available to the general public.

or

Its possible that they will show the design now, but somehow that seems unlikely.

Tell Sony I made their controller not suck.

Cale wrote:

Tell Sony I made their controller not suck.

This is brilliant. Combining the analog stick design of the Xbox controller with the not-shitty d-pad of the Playstation controller is just brilliant.

It's about time. This generation really needs to end, make way for the next wave of games and systems.

And I think I can make an educated guess and say that Watch Dogs is going to debut here, so there's one game.

I understand that Sony is trying to appeal to investors about the capabilities of this system but Sony's heavy focus on the social capabilities of this console is pretty irrelevant, The main focus that we should all be concerned about is the gaming experience which the PS4 will most likely improve, in-turn, it will improve PC ports, improving the gaming industry overall.

Last edited Feb 21, 2013 at 04:49PM EST

Specs look good but i generally prefer the xbox and especially since the ps4 is coming out first it will MS a advantage by making it improve on the ps4. (so if say the ps4 has good graphics MS might go better if they release a later console)

As always with Playstation:

Backwards compatibility? WHAT THE HELL'S THAT!?

But still, not sold yet. Let's see if they surprise us with games (unlikely, I know).

Last edited Feb 21, 2013 at 08:00PM EST

I'm excited for the PlayStation 4. There'll be more info on the console eventually, likely at E3. This was just them initially unveiling it.

Idk, I've been with Sony and Nintendo ever since I was a little girl. it's a personal tradition for me to get the next console. There will be more info at E3. I wonder if Nintendo will have anything new.

They just released the Wii U

Idk, I've been with Sony and Nintendo ever since I was a little girl. it's a personal tradition for me to get the next console. There will be more info at E3. I wonder if Nintendo will have anything new.

Is the Nintendo thing a joke? They just released the wiiU, and the 3ds is very new also. So don't expect a new console. Also, there was a Nintendo direct that announced all the upcoming games that they will show for e3. It was kind of a big deal.

Dac wrote:

Is the Nintendo thing a joke? They just released the wiiU, and the 3ds is very new also. So don't expect a new console. Also, there was a Nintendo direct that announced all the upcoming games that they will show for e3. It was kind of a big deal.

I'm not expecting a new console im satisfied with the 3ds. Im hoping for a Smash Bros. update, and more details.

I'm not expecting a new console im satisfied with the 3ds. Im hoping for a Smash Bros. update, and more details.

I'm expecting another annoying and never-ending fanboy war between consoles again.

Well then you are in luck. They will be showing super smash bros at e3. I suggest you watch the Nintendo direct.

well the whole power gap isn't big this time around and the wii u will most likely get a lot of third party support as well as the ps4 its going to come down who has the best games and i think this is going to be an interesting gen

Last edited Feb 23, 2013 at 10:18PM EST

Memelord wrote:

well the whole power gap isn't big this time around and the wii u will most likely get a lot of third party support as well as the ps4 its going to come down who has the best games and i think this is going to be an interesting gen

Power gap? There's a massive power gap. The Wii U has a tri-core, the PS4 has an 8-core, and so many other reasons why it's a total shutout this time.

Nintendo has gone in a different direction completely.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!