Forums / General

195,501 total conversations in 5,381 threads

+ New Thread

So, CISPA back again.

Last posted Feb 21, 2013 at 03:48PM EST. Added Feb 21, 2013 at 06:55AM EST
4 conversations with 4 participants

I’m pretty sure that this petition does nothing in itself. US government doesn’t work that way.

It appears that petitions that reach a certain threshold are given an official response by the White House. That’s about it.

There are two critical thresholds for We the People. First, a minimum number of signatures is necessary for the petition to be publicly listed on We the People and searchable. Second, a minimum number of signatures is necessary in a given amount of time in order for the petition to be reviewed by the White House, distributed to the appropriate policy officials within the Administration and receive an official response. This response will be posted and linked to the petition on WhiteHouse.gov, as well as emailed to all of the petition signers. Petitions that do not cross this threshold in the given timeframe will be removed from the site.

I don’t think CISPA was ever any further along than it was before. It’s not really “back again,” because I don’t think it ever “left.” This petition is just a way for US citizens to say that they don’t want it passed into law.

Actually, I like this idea on both ends. It prompts as much of a conversation as Congress can have with its constituents, and between terms, it gives the constituents a way for officials to actually respond to a matter of interest.

But the thing to remember is that this is just a freedom of speech. President Obama himself may very well respond, but it doesn’t mean in the least that CISPA will be prevented from being passed into law.

The US is still a democratic republic. Those who voted collectively voted (democratic) representatives into office (republic) to make decisions for us.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:15PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!