Forums / Discussion / General

232,729 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

2013 Oscars

Last posted Mar 02, 2013 at 08:07PM EST. Added Feb 23, 2013 at 01:11PM EST
35 posts from 15 users

I want Lincoln to win, but I get the feeling that Argo will take home the big prize. Daniel Day Lewis should win Best Actor and Jennifer Lawrence should win Best Actress.

Crimson Locks wrote:

I want to see Denzel Washington win best actor for his role in Flight. He played the role of an alcoholic way too well.

Yes he did. I'd also be happy to see him win that.

I want Daniel Day-Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones to win their awards in Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor categories, respectively, because Daniel Day-Lewis's Lincoln was so amazingly convincing and because Jones' Thaddeus Stevens was such a badass.

Anne Hathaway deserves Best Supporting Actress and the little girl whose name I can't pronounce or spell in "Beasts of the Southern Wild", because she's freakin' nine years old.

If Anne Hathaway doesn't win Best Supporting Actress I'm gonna tear out my brain stem, go out to the nearest four way intersection, and skip rope with it, followed by a quick visit to the Academy, where I will go completely postal and start murdering people.

Her performance in Les Mis was one of the greatest I've ever seen, and I will not be deprived of a teary-eyed speech.

Paperman's gonna win animated short. I can feel it.
Also, I only saw Les Miserables, Life Of Pi, Wreck-It Raplh and Lincoln, so my only big wish is for them to win, especially Lincoln, especially, especially Les Mis.
…Well, I also saw some of Cloud Atlas, but A) it's not on here (Thanks God.) and B) I hate it's super-gory guts. That movie literally made me throw up. And it was difficult to see clearly for a few minutes. Fun stuff.

Paperman is almost definitely gonna win animated short.
I wish I could make an opinion on the animated movie category because I absolutely love animated movies, but the only one I saw that made it to this list was Wreck It Ralph. And While I did love Wreck It Ralph, I'm not quite sure if it's worthy of an Oscar. Going on what I've heard of the other animated movies this year, I want Paranorman to win.

All I want is Argo and the actors involved to lose every single award that it is nominated for. Argo is a great piece of fiction, a warp of reality of the events that transpired. If the movie wins the Best Editing award then I will be pleased.

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

All I want is Argo and the actors involved to lose every single award that it is nominated for. Argo is a great piece of fiction, a warp of reality of the events that transpired. If the movie wins the Best Editing award then I will be pleased.

Yeah, I agree that Argo is not based on a true story.

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Ehh… [citation needed]

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Ehh… [citation needed]

I will let former president Jimmy Carter speak on my behalf.

Unfortunately most people believe the films produced by Hollywood (I guess you believe that the operation was lead by the CIA) so that is why I am displeased because it warped the reality of the event to a generation which did not experience it.

Last edited Feb 24, 2013 at 08:56PM EST

Best Supporting Actor – Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained
Best Animated Short – Paperman
Best Animated Film – Brave
Best Cinemotography – Life of Pi

Out of all the animated movies nominated, Brave won? Really? I'm not on the Brave hate train like a lot of diehard Pixar fans are, and I do think it had its merits, but it's far from deserving of an Oscar. I don't know why this makes me so mad, it wasn't a very strong year for animated movies, but this just makes me mad.

Last edited Feb 24, 2013 at 10:36PM EST

Ha, A Tie!! I didn't know there could be ties for Oscars.

@Crimson Locks: I really doubt the Oscars even watched all of the animated films as Brave wasn't even on the levels of Pixar's past hits like Toy Story 3, Up, and Wall-E. Some suggest Paranorman should have won and was overlooked right from the start.

Best Director – Ang Lee for Life of Pi
Best Actress – Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook
Best Actor – Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln

Last edited Feb 24, 2013 at 11:49PM EST

THE 2013 BEST PICTURE IS……………………………………………………………………………………….ARGO

Last edited Feb 24, 2013 at 11:56PM EST

Crimson Locks wrote:

Out of all the animated movies nominated, Brave won? Really? I'm not on the Brave hate train like a lot of diehard Pixar fans are, and I do think it had its merits, but it's far from deserving of an Oscar. I don't know why this makes me so mad, it wasn't a very strong year for animated movies, but this just makes me mad.

I couldn't agree more. I like brave, don't get me wrong, but its not Oscar material. Wreck it Ralph and pirates were more deserving, and while I found it boring, frankenweenie had a nice style. But I think paranorman should have got it. That movie was just amazing.

It really pisses me off that the Hobbit won no awards. Lincoln's production design, while period accurate, yes, took much less effort than The Hobbit's because everything you see in Lincoln had already existed-- in the Hobbit, they had to build their universe from the ground up, particularly since they had to recreate some of the sets from the older Lord of the Rings movies. because Even "Anna Karenina" beat it for Best Costume Design, and that movie sucked. The Hobbit was amazing, and anyone who tells you otherwise can go sit on a tack.

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Good thing it's not nominated for best documentary then.

Brave was an entertaining movie and the animation was excellent and the story was pretty good until about 45 minutes in, but there were parts of the storyline I felt like weren't explained or could have been handled better or differently.
Pixar just about hit their absolute pinnacle of filmmaking quality with Toy Story 3 and they just haven't been at the top of their game since.

Err…they've only made two movies since then, one of which was a simple marketing exercise.

I don't think that's fair to judge whatever pinnacle they may or may not have hit till a few movies in. I'm particularly excited about the Good Dinosaur despite knowing almost nothing about it…..

because dinosaurs are cool.

burning_phoneix wrote:

Err…they've only made two movies since then, one of which was a simple marketing exercise.

I don't think that's fair to judge whatever pinnacle they may or may not have hit till a few movies in. I'm particularly excited about the Good Dinosaur despite knowing almost nothing about it…..

because dinosaurs are cool.

Yeah. Dinosaurs are cool.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!