Forums / Discussion / General

232,635 total conversations in 7,777 threads

+ New Thread

PC and Console Gamers: Why Can't We All Just Get Along?

Last posted Feb 24, 2013 at 01:44PM EST. Added Feb 23, 2013 at 06:52PM EST
13 posts from 13 users

I just don't get why gamers must fight. Yes, PC games can have better graphics, modifications, and player limitations (such has having 64 players in Battlefield 3 instead of 24). However, consoles have their own advantages. While they're much weaker than their PC counterparts (which might change once the next batch of consoles rolls around with specs such as 8 GB of ram), they're much more accessible. Consoles are cheaper, have some neat exclusives, and provide an easier way to split-screen gaming for local players, which is something I do constantly.
So, after all of these advantages that both sides of gaming can give to players, why do people argue? Am I missing something? Or is the Internet willing to complain and fight every damn chance that they get?
And let me know if you're also someone that appreciates both gaming outlets. It'd be nice to see a diamond in the rough for once.

It's the same argument as Apple vs. PC: If there is ANY kind of superiority on one particular system, people will argue.

And I hate that. It's basically saying people can't have preferences. "Oh no, you can't like the Smurfs, My Little Pony is the superior TV show!"

I also hate when it's targeted down to just two or three, because then there's that one person who's like "Well, I prefer X" and will immediately get laughed out of the discussion.

This video pretty much sums up my feelings:

Because supremacy. PC vs. Console is just like Nintendo vs. Sony vs. Microsoft. People love their console so much that everything else is irrelevant. People like to convince themselves that they are right and everyone else is wrong. It isn't a case of " My favorite has both strengths and weaknesses, as do the others", it's a case of "[input name here] IS BEST AND IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE, YOU'RE A [input insult here]". If you like something, you only want to see the strengths, not the weaknesses

Relevant:

Also, being that I’m a somewhat avid player of both console and PC games, and seeing as I frequently play multi-interface games for both console and PC for comparison, I must say that I certainly agree with you, OP. I definitely do appreciate both outlets, and while they both have their advantages and disadvantages, I’ve never understood why people generalize about the quality capabilities of both, and from there, determine which outlet is better.

A console or a gaming PC is a very big money commitment. Because of this, people don't want to feel that their investment was a waste of money so they will defend it.

And thus the console wars was born.

I was a big console war fighter back in my early days of the internet, however I then realized that each of the systems had their own likeable things about them and fighting was pointless. Besides, it's good to have diversity so you can just go to a friends house to play on a system they own.

Last edited Feb 23, 2013 at 07:29PM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

A console or a gaming PC is a very big money commitment. Because of this, people don't want to feel that their investment was a waste of money so they will defend it.

And thus the console wars was born.

I was a big console war fighter back in my early days of the internet, however I then realized that each of the systems had their own likeable things about them and fighting was pointless. Besides, it's good to have diversity so you can just go to a friends house to play on a system they own.

Damnit, you stole my thoughts.

Arguing and the need to feel superior is just human nature. We want to feel like our opinion and decision is the correct one, and will defend that against those who disagree.

RandomMan wrote:

Arguing and the need to feel superior is just human nature. We want to feel like our opinion and decision is the correct one, and will defend that against those who disagree.

pretty much this people just want to feel superior

Humans are the most idiotic species when it comes to superiority, at petty things like these. Even though the fights are more emitted from younger people as they defend their likings, I still find it not cool to stray off of the video or topic just to fight.

>mfw gamers fight over it on a non video game related topic

I used to skim r/skyrim a lot, and many of the PC users there had a huge prejudice against console players. They had valid points to their arguments – mods, better graphics, mods – but they always came off as rude and incredibly snobbish.

I really don't care where you play your games. I play on consoles because I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a super-powerful gaming PC when I can play most of the same games on a console where it works just as well. So that definitely goes back to what Natsuru said about money.

Basically, I think either side is stupid and pigheaded for arguing at all; PC gamers are stupid for their superiority complex, and console gamers are stupid for responding to PC elitism with their fanboyism.

PC exclusives
MMOs (although remember Destiny is coming up for consoles.)
Garry's Mod
Source Film Maker
Minecraft with mods (although Xbox version doesn't deserve most of the heat it takes)
Slender
Dwarf Fortress
Diablo
Numerous indie games
Flash games

Console exclusives (unless you count ROMs. Naughty, naughty…)
Mario
Halo 3 and up
LittleBigPlanet
Legend of Zelda
Uncharted
Gears of War
Pokemon

And that's just exclusives. Honestly they're both good, and as long as you get enjoyment out of playing it, does it really matter if some smartass on the other side thinks they're better than you?

Last edited Feb 24, 2013 at 01:45PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!