Forums / Discussion / General

232,893 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Toku Thread: Wars Between Heroes

Last posted Apr 02, 2013 at 09:07AM EDT. Added Feb 26, 2013 at 10:45AM EST
27 posts from 8 users

I'm not sure who here likes Tokusatsu, but I might as well anyways. I found out some crazy news about the upcoming movie, Kamen Rider × Super Sentai × Space Sheriff: Super Hero Taisen Z. This scan was revealed recently in a Japanese magazine:

It seems that Gavan, Sharivan and Shaider aren't the only Metal Heroes returning for the movie. The scan reveals that Janperson, Jiraiya, Jiban, Draft Redder (Exceedraft), Blue Beet (B-Fighter) and B-Fighter Kabuto are confirmed to be in the movie as well. With the all the comfirmed Metal Heroes, Super Sentai, Kamen Riders and the inclusion of New Inazuman as an ally, the hero count for the movie rounds up to 54 so far.

Here's a couple of other scan from the same magazine:

And the current trailer:

Also, if you have a PSP, remember to catch up on the recent free-roaming fighting game, Heroes' VS, a crossover between Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Gundam:

There are 21 characters, 7 from each franchise and the game works in a similar fashion to the Tenkaichi series. (Not surprising as Spike was the one who developed the game) Here's some gameplay of Heroes' VS:

Finally, as a reminder, Guillermo del Toro's American tokusatsu film Pacific Rim is coming soon so set your schedules for July 12! If you're a mecha or a kaiju fan, you won't want to miss this:

That's all for now~

I don't want to sound like a newbie, but the two on the left of the line up in the first scan… aren't those the Beetleborgs? My god, it's like I'm getting memories flowing through my head looking at that, my childhood is calling me once more…

Also, that game looks awesome as well.

Concise wrote:

I don't want to sound like a newbie, but the two on the left of the line up in the first scan… aren't those the Beetleborgs? My god, it's like I'm getting memories flowing through my head looking at that, my childhood is calling me once more…

Also, that game looks awesome as well.

Nope!

That's Kamen Rider, who, along with Super Sentai (whom the US knows as the Power Rangers) and the series that Beetleborgs used footage from, form the Japanese TV genre called sentai, which TV Tropes defines as "Superheroes, Japanese style."

Essentially what he said, but to be more specific, They are from the Metal Heroes sub-series B-Fighter which lasted two seasons, Juukou B-Fighter and B-Fighter Kabuto respectively.

"Metal Heroes" is a franchise from Toei that lasted from 1982-1999 which was slightly different from their Kamen Rider and Super Sentai franchises. Instead of people in spandex or people with superpowers, the Metal Heroes were just normal people with special metallic armor and cool weapons. They'd either have Rider-esqe series like Metalder and Jiban or Sentai-esqe series like Exceedraft and Blue SWAT.

It's been almost 15 years, but it seems that the Metal Heroes are back in full force!

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:
"a crossover between Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Gundam"

I have a PSP. Yay!

Here's Eiji Tsuburaya, who did the SFX for the 50s/60s Godzilla movies and created Ultraman. Founding father of tokusatsu.

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 11:41PM EST

Seeing as how this thread needs actual discussion in order to live and anyone in the Toku scene obviously knows of the juggernaut called Super Sentai, lets discuss how we feel about the newest entry into the franchise, "Jyuden Sentai Kyoryuger."

What about it do you like? What do you dislike? Overall, is it a worthy package?

Personally, I don't know how I feel about it.

The characters feel and over the top, but with this so early in the series, I can't tell if its corny in a good way like Gokaiger and some the Showa era Sentais or if its corny in the bad way like Go-onger and Goseiger.

From what I've seen, it seems the writers know how to make a light hearted show that can cause some serious feels but at the same time it feels like the writers are afraid of being a bit serious.

Case in point, how Nobuhara deals with him being a Kyoryuger and having a family. His dismay at having to hide his identity from them was a real shocker and added some good drama, without treading too far into the cliche. He hid himself to avoid angering his sister, who hates Sentai senshi, and so that his family wouldn't be harmed.

For once the "Secret Identity" trope was properly used and felt relevant. AND it was being used in a Japanese Superhero story, well known for their lack of secret identities. This felt like a breath of fresh air. But by the end of episode 2 (where Toei introduces this aspect to Nobu), its like Nobu went bipolar and, rather than stick to one of his established and well-executed traits, transforms in broad daylight right in front of his niece and exposing his Sentai identity to the villians.

Maybe its the staff not knowing how to properly flesh out Kyoryuger's world. I can't tell. I'm only 2 episodes in.

Pic unrelated.

From what I've seen of Kyoryuger so far, I think I like it. It's very corny indeed, but there's something about it that makes me smile. I think it's all the dancing… I tend to like light-hearted stuff for some reason. I do agree that the whole secret identity shtick is indeed very fresh to Super Sentai. That's probably another reason i like this season.

Also, have this vid of Kyoryuger's Walk the Dinosaur:

@ Concise: Huh, that's new.

With that said, I have more news! New scans for Kamen Rider × Super Sentai × Space Sheriff: Super Hero Taisen Z have been released:

The first scan depicts a scene where Wizard, Beast and Gokai Silver have to fight off Sharivan for due to framing. The second scan showcases a meeting between members of Space Shocker, Space Spiderman (not that Spiderman) fighting off Fourze and New Inazuman, Gai (Gokai Silver) being disguised as a Shocker mook, A team-up between Flashman, Dekaranger, Super-1, Decade, Fourze, Meteor and Gavan and interaction between the characters.

Next up are some new screenshots of Kamen Rider Battleride War and I have to say, they look beautiful:

And last but not least, it seems there's going to be a movie made for the Ishinomori Museum called Sea Jetter Kaito:

Apparently this new hero is based off some incomplete concepts and sketches that Shotaro Ishinomori had made sometime before he died. The museum put the pieces together and managed to create a suit out of the scrapped concept. Now, with some help of some big Toei actors and directors, the suit will now have a story to call it's own. Also, Kaito also has his own theme song, too!

I'll come with more news soon!

@20% cooler

And you forget to mention that the greatest show unofficial sentai, Akibaranger, is coming back this April?

How could you?

For lulz, here's footage from the recording of Akibaranger's Second season:

Last edited Mar 02, 2013 at 02:52PM EST

@Badsitrep: Ohhhh, I knew about that, I just thought the show was an acquired taste. It's nice to see a fellow Akibaranger fan! :D Also, just like last season, they're going to sell figures of the new Akibaranger suits as well!

Also, I found it funny how they mentioned the Space Sheriffs, but gave them antennae and different names.

I'm not even sure if it's real, so please take the following pic with a grain of salt:

This pic depicts what seems to be a Kyoryuzin combination with the Gabutyra, the WizarDragon and the Dol. This picture's origin is a unknown at the moment so I ask again that you please take this info with a grain of salt.

If true, I expect this mecha's finisher to be EXTRA FLAMMIN'!

Okay, from what I learned, the above picture is indeed fake. It was created on a Japanese message board for what I'm guessing is seeing who can make an absurd mecha combo for the movie. What is real, though, is this new promotional poster from Toei:

Ya got the Kamen Riders, the Super Sentai, the Metal Heroes, a couple of Ishinomori chatacters and surprisingly the Demon King Psycho from Sharivan.

This movie looks really explosive!

New poster of my favorite jaeger!
Crimson motherfucking typhoon

A new trailer will be shown at wondercon as well as a photo of a kaiju!
This movie is gonna make me it's bitch.

Badass stuff, Dac!

I got recent news for Super Hero Taisen Z. Remember when they announced the return of select Metal Heroes:

Well boom-zippity, it's actually the Gokaigers as Metal Heroes, using Metal Keys:

Also, the WizarDragon and the Kyoryuzin will combine to preform the Zyuden Brave Strike End:

This also includes the Space Sheriffs as well with Gavan, Sharivan and Shaider's mecha will combine to create the Big Grand Fire:

And here's the climactic lineup (obviously they can't do everybody again, so it's selective this time):

This movie will be epically cray, and I love that.

Last edited Mar 31, 2013 at 09:42PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!