Forums / Discussion / General

169,869 total conversations in 5,437 threads

+ New Thread

An Open Ended Question to All British KYMers

Last posted Apr 08, 2013 at 07:23PM EDT. Added Apr 06, 2013 at 03:56PM EDT
14 posts from 10 users

I had a discussion with my mother earlier today that somehow took an interesting turn. To keep it short, there’s a chance I might be traveling to Ireland, Scotland, and/or England over the summer with my family. Now, I’ve always wanted to go to the United Kingdom, but I thought it would also be a good opportunity to rendezvous with any of my fellow forumites who live in any of those three countries (sorry, Wales, Americans are prejudiced against you for some reason).

Keep in mind that this is not a done deal. Nothing has been given commitment, but I thought it’d be worth opening up discussion.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:56PM EDT

bring a heavy coat and some shorts. no matter where you go it will have crazy weather

my vote goes to london
London MCM expo 24-26 May
Hyper Japan 26-28 July

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:28PM EDT

Why on earth would you want to come here to Britain, its freezing cold, snowing for some odd reason and the hipsters are feral.

Although if you do persist I recommend staying away from the cities and enjoying the midland countryside, or better yet go to the Isles of Scilly, went there last year, Its an absolutely ace place, proper peaceful and full of history.

Last edited Apr 06, 2013 at 04:50PM EDT
Apr 06, 2013 at 04:48PM EDT

Bring clothing for the rain and cold… most important thing you could have on your trip. First thing you want to do when you arrive is want to switch your currencies from your U.S. dollars to pounds. Like Crow said, avoid the cities. Of course, it’s different for everyone. But no matter what you do, I’m glad to hear you’re visiting! Hope you have a great time, and that you enjoy the countryside!

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:12PM EDT

Britain, the country of unpredictable weather.

It’s been snowing often in Spring…

You had one job, Spring…

But yeah, I’d say, listen to the others, you must remember that Britain is of a similar latitude of Canada, so it’ll be cold about now as usual.

Last edited Apr 06, 2013 at 05:37PM EDT
Apr 06, 2013 at 05:27PM EDT

I’ll try and give some recommendations on where you could go. These are all places in the north of England, but I’m sure others can tell you what places in the south are like.

Places I recommend:
Newcastle, if you like big cities
York, if you like history
Keswick, if you like scenery

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:28PM EDT

量子 Meme wrote:

Just a quick question, am I the only Londoner here?

i’m a londoner, and considering everyone is recommending to NOT go to london i can assume everyone else is, too

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:40PM EDT

GoingMenthol wrote:

i’m a londoner, and considering everyone is recommending to NOT go to london i can assume everyone else is, too

I went to Covent Garden today, very cool as usual, but of course they had decorated large easter eggs.

I’m going to the Barbican centre tomorrow and then in the evening I’ll be at the Tate Modern for the Lichtenstein exhibition.

There’s plenty of things to do in London, and not just the city.

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:27PM EDT

Rin Tezuka wrote:

I’ll try and give some recommendations on where you could go. These are all places in the north of England, but I’m sure others can tell you what places in the south are like.

Places I recommend:
Newcastle, if you like big cities
York, if you like history
Keswick, if you like scenery

I live in Newcastle and it really isn’t that big compared to some other cities in the north such as Edinburgh or Manchester. If you want to see some truly beautiful and barren scenery like nowhere else in the world try and go through Northumberland, an eastern border county which is very dear to me. It may sometimes be known as ‘The Wilds of Wanny’ and is home to Hadrians Wall, the structure commissioned by Roman Emperor Hadrian to keep the invading Picts out.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:29PM EDT

South of England, somewhere like Southampton or Winchester is nice.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:56PM EDT

404 user not found wrote:

>England
>Complaining about the cold

>Britain isn’t cold
>Complaining about the cold
>people haven’t been doing that for decades
>We haven’t been having weird weather patterns

This is Spring mind you.

Well at least Spring seems to have sprung now though, right?

Last edited Apr 08, 2013 at 07:26PM EDT
Apr 08, 2013 at 07:23PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!