Forums / Discussion / General

175,247 total conversations in 5,765 threads

+ New Thread

Margaret Thatcher Dead at 87

Last posted Apr 12, 2013 at 07:13AM EDT. Added Apr 08, 2013 at 09:28AM EDT
20 posts from 13 users

Adam DeLand wrote:

Wait…I thought people hated her.

A lot of people did, because she forced a ton of coal mines in the North to close, which made thousands unemployed. Also people didn’t like her because of the Falkland shit.

HANG ON,

We are having a bit of a problem here, now that’s she’s dead “they” want a state funeral, and that is a big problem as a lot of people hated her and yet those people liked her enough to want to give her great commendations.

Seriously, what she’s done to this country is not something I particularly like at all and going to war for the falklands? tut tut.

量子 Meme wrote:

HANG ON,

We are having a bit of a problem here, now that’s she’s dead “they” want a state funeral, and that is a big problem as a lot of people hated her and yet those people liked her enough to want to give her great commendations.

Seriously, what she’s done to this country is not something I particularly like at all and going to war for the falklands? tut tut.

The problem is that most of the quotes I’ve seen (concerning her death) have been from politicians form all fields; ranging from far left to far right, at home in Britain or thousands of miles away in Russia or the US.
The quotes seem to be pretty similar, the conservatives praise her and anyone who isn’t a conservative just sort of says ‘she was very important’ without saying what they think. (I tell a lie there werea few Irish politicians who said harsher things; the strongest was ‘may she burn in the hellfires’)
It’s the fact that they are politicians in a democratic society that makes them scared to speak ill of the dead.
I also don’t believe she’s getting a state funeral for her political prowess (for that she’d just get chucked into a mine shaft) but because she was the first woman prime minister and is an inspiring figure to women, apparently.
Of all the first woman prime ministers we could’ve had, we got the one made of iron…

Even if you did like Margaret Thatcher (I don’t) do you really think this is the time for England to spend 10 million pounds on a funeral?

It’s also funny that Thatcher hated government social spending but is now getting a lavish funeral at the nation’s expense. Oh the Irony.

burning_phoneix wrote:

Even if you did like Margaret Thatcher (I don’t) do you really think this is the time for England to spend 10 million pounds on a funeral?

It’s also funny that Thatcher hated government social spending but is now getting a lavish funeral at the nation’s expense. Oh the Irony.

I hate how they’re doing this, and especially at how they’re going to this expense for her. Sure a funeral is completely fine, just not at this ridiculous scale.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!