Forums / Discussion / General

232,731 total conversations in 7,781 threads

+ New Thread

You've Probably Never Heard of Them... And Now You Have!: The Music Recommendation Thread

Last posted May 05, 2013 at 05:45PM EDT. Added Apr 13, 2013 at 09:24AM EDT
33 posts from 23 users

This thread is for recommending music that you feel should be more well-known than it is currently. Post from Youtube, Bandcamp, Reverbnation, etc.

I'll start with a Scottish Indie-Pop band from the 80s called Shop Assistants.

I was beginning to think we forgot about our mandatory monthly music thread. The last music thread was a while ago (not counting threads for specific types of music). We are far behind schedule for this one.

Anyway, keeping on topic with someone you probably never heard of before…

If you have seen my profile page, you may have seen this:

Chinensis is just one dude that nobody knows but the music he makes is more pleasant than some of the stuff everyone knows. He started out a few years ago but is still deeper into the underground music scene than the Earth's outer core

Last edited May 05, 2013 at 04:23PM EDT

Well you've heard of the band, but you most likely haven't heard of more than one song. Ever since Todd in the Shadows did his One-Hit Wonder Land episode on Dexys Midnight Runners, I've discovered some of their other songs that I really like.

A band I've been listening a lot to lately is Liars. They jump around in genre a lot, so I'll just give you this:

Their most famous song:

And their most recent song:

Albumwise, my favorites are Liars (2007) and Sisterworld (2012), although two other good ones are Drum's Not Dead (2006) and their most recent, WIXIW (2012)

Canadians probably know who this guy is but almost every fellow American I talk to about Stan Rogers don't seem to know him. If you're into folk music, especially folk songs about the sea, than I highly recommend him. For example:

He also did stuff like this:

Dorito5 wrote:

London Elecktricity
That's about the lowest flying band I like and know the muisc they have enough to recommend them. All the rest are rather popular.

Since you said band, I assume you're referring to the late 90s/early 00s London Elektricity Live era?

opspe wrote:

Since you said band, I assume you're referring to the late 90s/early 00s London Elektricity Live era?

I honestly don't know. I thought they still did live shows, just not that often.

Dorito5 wrote:

I honestly don't know. I thought they still did live shows, just not that often.

Tony Colman still DJs, but they used to have a whole live band thing going.

I've always been more into Video Game Music than Regular Music. Yousuke Yasui produces some good video game tunes. Most of them sound like the Genesis.

Here
are
some
examples.

However, if you want to know about actual bands, I've got one or two. Jamiroquai has been my latest obsession, but I only like their songs sometimes. Sometimes it's just plain meh.

Some
more
examples.

And then there's Daft Punk, but I'm pretty sure you already know who they are.

I might post some more later.

Last edited Apr 19, 2013 at 03:02PM EDT

I highly recommend a band called Joyce Manor. Almost none of their songs hit anywhere near the two minute mark. They're labelled as pop punk on Wikipedia but I think it would be more appropriate to say that their more along the lines of a mix between Indie and Punk Rock.

I apologize if this isn't very hipster, to my knowledge Mastodon is relatively well-known
But I'm a huge fan, and the idea of such a harsh, operatic metal band covering a song as heart-warming as this always fickles my tancy
I listen to this quite often now

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do, they really are a top-notch band
Cheers, guys

a friend turned me onto this group around the same time some dude from my school used this song in his senior film

Alvin Band- Transcendental Meditative Mutant Ninja Turtles

oh, additional factoid, their 2011 album, "Rainbow Road" has a lot of songs that were inspired by video games. look up their song Bowsers Castle

Last edited Apr 21, 2013 at 12:34AM EDT

I like DethKlok
They've actually become pretty popular in the metal scene for being a death metal band and their album The Dethalbum III got to number 10 and is the highest charted death metal album in history of Billboard. I really like them and the tv show too, if you like metal or death metal check it out mate.

Fridge wrote:

Honestly I think their earlier work is a lot better. Examples:

Full Album:

Oh ill have to look. But thats their only song i heard

Off With Their Heads

A punk band with some highly intelligent lyrics and, despite said lyrics being rather depressing at times, pretty fun sounding music. Definitely check them out if you're into that kind of stuff.

Last edited Apr 25, 2013 at 09:07AM EDT

Omomon wrote:

Death Grips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigtCrO77L8
Industrial hip hop is great while reading Crossed.

Let me fix this for you

#NOIDED

Last edited Apr 25, 2013 at 03:52PM EDT

Pretty awesome band live. Though they take a couple of listens to appreciate it more, as it can be a bit different from 'normal' metal and the like. It may sound like chaos at first, but after listening them some more, I heard how 'precise' their playing is. the Dillinger Escape plan

Recently found this band. Sypmhonic black metal, fantasy like lyrics. Catamenia

Started as a one man project, with the first cd made only by their singer. Gradually they grew to a full band. Christian progressive power metal. IMO, this is their best song yet Theocracy

Oh, and @BSOD, you may probably already know this, but the video in your spoiler is removed

Last edited May 05, 2013 at 01:23PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!