Forums / Discussion / General

232,895 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Boston Marathon Explosion

Last posted Apr 25, 2013 at 10:44PM EDT. Added Apr 15, 2013 at 03:31PM EDT
165 posts from 79 users

New York Post reports that there are at least 12 dead and twice as many injured, citing a federal law-enforcement officer (as of 3:04pm ET).

- At least two dead; more than 100 injured (as of 7:48pm ET)

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 07:48PM EDT

The_12th_Doctor wrote:

It was a terrorist attack.

Can you back that up with some sources? All I'm reading is that the possibility is there, but none have confirmed it so far. It seems believable of course, but I'm interested in reading more first.

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 04:13PM EDT

A summary of what I've heard (From reddit, BBC, and other news) is that there were 2-3 bags of explosives by the finish line, which exploded about 3 hours after the winner passed the finish line. As mentioned above, 3 are confirmed dead (so far) and atleast 12 are injured. People are also very worried not just in Boston, but also in Washington and NYC. Is this just a warning shot for annother terorist attack later today or this week (Similiar to what happened in Norway 2 years ago, Breivik etc if you remember, with a building explosion as a distraction to the actual deed).

Sorry, but this is all I have so far! And remember, if you want more information, Google is your friend!

EDIT: Sorry for my bad English!

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 04:14PM EDT

I'm watching NBC right now. They say according to the Boston police, two are dead and twenty-three are injured. As far as the whole terrorist attack thing, there were supposedly two explosions: one initial and another as security and aid arrived. Which is how it's done overseas.

Jak wrote:

I'm watching NBC right now. They say according to the Boston police, two are dead and twenty-three are injured. As far as the whole terrorist attack thing, there were supposedly two explosions: one initial and another as security and aid arrived. Which is how it's done overseas.

That’s usually how it’s done. They want to maximize the kill-count. First is always the initial victims and second is for the first-responders.

However, various sources say the explosions were near simultaneous.

andreavalentine wrote:

I seriously doubt it was a terrorist attack.

By the looks of it, I don't know what else it could have been. And on the day of the marathon. I hope youre right.

A small homemade bomb was the preliminary cause of explosion

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/boston-marathon-explosion_n_3086665.html#55_possible-small-homemade-bomb-responsible

Two more have been found, and are currently being dismantled

Source: http://huff.to/14qHXIq

SesquiAR wrote:

The explosions were about 10-15 seconds apart. Not enough time for EMTs and law enforcement to arrive. I have heard tell of a third suspected device in front of the Mandarin Hotel.

Actually, the police are on standby right there for exactly this reason; the emergency response took a few seconds.

According to a doctor they were interviewing, there have been amputations due to injuries. He said something about limbs being blown off. I don't know his name, I either didn't catch it or it was never mentioned.

Conflicting reports, wait till later to say a death/injury count. Also conflicting reports on what is the cause, heard from one source that the Anti/counter-terrorist organisation for the US should have an answer to who it could be/what the real cause is within an hour or so. Don't believe anything till we hear something else. It's just a flaming ball of shit coming from there till everything calms down.

jace is a boss wrote:

north korea might have an part in this

That claim is way too far fetched without some decent evidence.

If it was a joke, it's a bad one.

RandomMan wrote:

That claim is way too far fetched without some decent evidence.

If it was a joke, it's a bad one.

just an claim plus it might be real but then again some enemies might have reason to bomb an International race

i saw a live reports some minutes ago of the aftermath, one of the buildings which was shown had all the debris from the explosion as if the explosion came from the inside, it contrast with the rest of the nearest buildings, it caught my attention so maybe came from there.

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 04:49PM EDT

I'll be deleting some of the off topic posts with the bad puns and the reactions to them so this thread will stay on topic. Any future posts will get the same treatment.

No offense to the reactions, but I rather keep this on topic. Replies to bad posts only lead to further derailment. My appreciations to those sharing articles and good information.

Now I'm hearing that the explosions were simultaneous and some distance apart.
That's from Edward Davis, Boston Police Commissioner.

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 04:53PM EDT

These kind of things are so mind-numbing, I can't even think of what to say
I've never contributed to any thread but I guess I can start now
The latest report I can find is from Fox, it says officially 2 are dead and 23 injured

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/15/obama-notified-boston-explosion-directs-whatever-assistance-is-necessary/

jace is a boss wrote:

north korea might have an part in this

If it was North Korea they would probably make it obvious that it was them. Plus NK threatens to fire NUCLEAR weapons, not homemade bombs.

Man, the one time I don't look at the news and I've completely missed this. Terrible, an explosion at the finish line in a race and one a bit before? What was this, a message or a double accident? The initial signs are pointing fingers here.

Quantum Meme wrote:

Man, the one time I don't look at the news and I've completely missed this. Terrible, an explosion at the finish line in a race and one a bit before? What was this, a message or a double accident? The initial signs are pointing fingers here.

The explosions were caused by bombs, and a squad found additional explosives at the scene of the race. This was not an accident.

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 05:26PM EDT

Stop calling this an "accident".

An accident is defined as:
An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

Like Olivia said, it was caused by bombs and several additional bombs were found. This was intentional. It was NOT an accident.

Last edited Apr 15, 2013 at 05:51PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!