Forums / Discussion / General

170,185 total conversations in 5,453 threads

+ New Thread

Boston Marathon Explosion

Last posted Apr 25, 2013 at 10:44PM EDT. Added Apr 15, 2013 at 03:31PM EDT
165 posts from 79 users

Rob Robbie Rabuel wrote:

So why would terrorists attack a marathon

The Boston Marathon is one of the most popular athletic events in America. Not only that, but it is a place with a lot of families with children, so if a terrorist attack happened, it would hit the American population very hard.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:59AM EDT

j4jojo97 wrote:

How could North Korea be a part of this? it was a homeade bomb. Plus they would have had to get across the Pacific Ocean and most of the US, or cross Asia, Europe, Africa, and the Atlantic ocean just to get to Boston.

How do you know its a homemade bomb?

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:04AM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

How do you know its a homemade bomb?

From CNN’s article here.

A federal law enforcement official told CNN that both bombs were small, and initial tests showed no C-4 or other high-grade explosive material, suggesting that the packages used in the attack were crude explosive devices.
Apr 16, 2013 at 01:13AM EDT

Sonata Dusk wrote:

From CNN’s article here.

A federal law enforcement official told CNN that both bombs were small, and initial tests showed no C-4 or other high-grade explosive material, suggesting that the packages used in the attack were crude explosive devices.

Thanks, i take that last post back now.

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:17AM EDT

The early discussions relating about the bombing have stopped on most news stations.
Now we need to investigate for the culprit(s) and motive for this act of terror.

This isn’t being cliche. I think we should put our own investigation and see if we can somehow help.

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:37AM EDT

Just woke up, and my sister greeted me w/ this.

Tasteless, wanton, (attempted) killings. WTF. Hope they find those responsible.

Can’t seem to find the words for those affected by the attack/bombing =[

Apr 16, 2013 at 03:51AM EDT

@Lone K

Well for one thing, it definitely was not North Korea despite many paranoid claims.

A) They would have declared it internationally.
B) They wouldn’t have used basic homemade bombs.
C) They would have targeted a government/military installation, not a marathon
D) They’d much rather attack South Korea. Until the US intervenes with their war with South Korea, North Korea has no interest in the US

This looks like the work of maybe 1 or 2 messed up guys that were already in the area as opposed to some invading internationals. (I won’t rule out Al Qaeda but i’m not quick to blame them since they are usually happy to claim responsibility and gloat about their attacks. They haven’t done that yet, AFAIK )

Theres no sign of any clear target other than random people which makes me uncertain if any organised hate groups or fanatical militias were involved.

The attackers specifically chose a target and date that would inflict the most pain (physically and emotionally) but it doesn’t look like there is any other motivation (IE: Racially, politically, religiously etc), the attack is too random to indicate an intention like that. Methinks the attack was purely about wanton destruction. These guys must be some disgruntled psychopaths that just wanted to watch the world burn.

Also the attack may have been planned for a while, judging from all the bombs found littered about. It could have been much bigger than what it was.

The fact that several bombs failed to detonate or were intercepted indicates poor organisation or a small group of offenders.

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 04:03AM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 03:53AM EDT

Wow.
I’m…. truly at a loss for any meaningful words.

I’m a little too shocked right now to help look for more information (this is my first time being online since the event took place, so it’s all a bit too much for me to handle all at once), but perhaps in the coming days I’ll try and drop in with anything I find.

Just posting here to express my support for all the people currently in the thick of this mess, and by extension to all you guys here and elsewhere sorting through what’s happened.

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:09AM EDT

Boston Explosions InfoGraphic link below:

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/15/explosions-rock-boston-marathon-finish-line-dozens-injured/yLhfDT1XC3HXSa8wPiVijL/igraphic.html

The link above, courtesy of “G_L_J”, MTG Salvation Forums.
If this has been posted before, my apologies.

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:15AM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

a leak got out that its a CIA propaganda trick to get us wantin war again

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:08AM EDT

cyrione wrote:

a leak got out that its a CIA propaganda trick to get us wantin war again

Source?

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 05:31AM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 05:31AM EDT

Hope people stop claiming hoaxes and cia roles. Just grow up.

Apr 16, 2013 at 07:27AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Lone K

Well for one thing, it definitely was not North Korea despite many paranoid claims.

A) They would have declared it internationally.
B) They wouldn’t have used basic homemade bombs.
C) They would have targeted a government/military installation, not a marathon
D) They’d much rather attack South Korea. Until the US intervenes with their war with South Korea, North Korea has no interest in the US

This looks like the work of maybe 1 or 2 messed up guys that were already in the area as opposed to some invading internationals. (I won’t rule out Al Qaeda but i’m not quick to blame them since they are usually happy to claim responsibility and gloat about their attacks. They haven’t done that yet, AFAIK )

Theres no sign of any clear target other than random people which makes me uncertain if any organised hate groups or fanatical militias were involved.

The attackers specifically chose a target and date that would inflict the most pain (physically and emotionally) but it doesn’t look like there is any other motivation (IE: Racially, politically, religiously etc), the attack is too random to indicate an intention like that. Methinks the attack was purely about wanton destruction. These guys must be some disgruntled psychopaths that just wanted to watch the world burn.

Also the attack may have been planned for a while, judging from all the bombs found littered about. It could have been much bigger than what it was.

The fact that several bombs failed to detonate or were intercepted indicates poor organisation or a small group of offenders.

There’s a tasteless irony that while most of the Runners will be forgotten, the Bombing is likely to go down in history. Perhaps infamy was the motivation.

Apr 16, 2013 at 07:35AM EDT

This is horrible… I can’t even post a suitable reaction face gif for this kind of tragic incident…

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 07:39AM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 07:38AM EDT

Boston go Boom
It was probably a yankees fan
No but seriously what the fuck man, this ain’t good at all. I don’t think it would be a terrorist attack, it’s probably just some wackjob. I hate Every inch of Boston but i even felt sad for the city, strong motherfuckers up there man they’ll rise over this.

Apr 16, 2013 at 07:51AM EDT

Is this another strategy to distract the people? I don’t know and frankly I don’t care, I just hope the families of the injured are ok.

Apr 16, 2013 at 08:23AM EDT

@Cale

Perhaps. That is plausible. Many attacks are done for infamy such as the past several public shootings: almost all of them were done so that the shooter would die into the history books.

Though if infamy is the motivation, then we should expect a culprit to become known soon.

If we don’t have someone to render infamous, then it will just be another bombing for the record book that still gets forgotten, like all the other nameless public bombings that happened during the 90’s (do you remember those?)

All the of the past attacks that were done in the name of infamy were not done in stealth. The terrorist made his identity well known, whether he was shooting at people or detonating a bomb strapped to himself

So for the bomber in this equation to keep himself hidden, may still indicate other motivations…if one at all.

@Ernest

I believe this still qualifies as “Terrorism”. Just not by the “Terrorists” we know.

You don’t need to be part of a fanatical religious warband to be a terrorist. Just make an explosion and hurt lots of people and you become one.

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 08:27AM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 08:24AM EDT

I heard this excerpt on SportsCenter from the Boston Globe columnist, Kevin Cullen:

…This is how bad this is. I went out Monday night and bumped into some firefighters I know. They said one of the dead was an 8-year-old boy from Dorchester who had gone out to hug his dad after he crossed the finish line. The dad walked on; the boy went back to the sidewalk to join his mom and his little sister. And then the bomb went off. The boy was killed. His sister’s leg was blown off. His mother was badly injured.

That’s just one ­family, one story…

I’m not one to get very emotional about these sorts of tragedies. These sorts of things happen in war-torn countries and areas every day through bombings, torture, executions, and more. They are all for reasons that I don’t think merit mass death and injury. If I were to be sickened by this, then I’d be sick everyday.

This isn’t to say that I don’t think this is horrific or to compare this directly to “starving kids in Africa” or anything. Senseless death is senseless death. But I love my family dearly, and I could see an 8-year old (Verbose) walking out to meet his dad in his late thirties after running a marathon. Even if I were to die, I could also imagine my brother having his leg blown off and my mother injured in that event. I could see my father feeling a mixture of guilt and anger (an obscene amounts of both.) And I could certainly see all of my family being devastated by my death.

Reading this strikes a chord with me, because it evokes a subjective set of emotions I try not to indulge to keep from spending my life doing something I couldn’t do emotionally or practically (i.e., seeking out such injustices anywhere and putting an end to them while understanding the political and social climate behind them.)

The points about me not “feeling” much or considering similar atrocities occurring far more frequently away from American soil are tangentially related, but I suppose the article is properly relevant, at least.

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 09:43AM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 09:38AM EDT

Rob Robbie Rabuel wrote:

So why would terrorists attack a marathon

Adding to what was said above, the Marathon was on Tax Day (Apr 15) and Patriots Day (3rd Monday in April), which is a statewide holiday in Massachusetts. I’ve heard some speculation that this may be an act of domestic terrorism for those reasons.

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 09:53AM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 09:52AM EDT

wow….i’m only hearing about this now :,(
according to Global BC it’s 2 confirmed dead and approx. 23 injured i’ll try to find out more later tonight or when i’m online next

but i know Boston will come back from this and find those responsible for this ( gotta go cry a little bit )

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:28PM EDT

Last I heard from my brother last night (who has been keeping up with news on this) it’s currently 3 confirmed dead and around 120 injured.

You know, we’re actually lucky this happened at the finish line of the marathon, because while there were a lot of people there, there were also a ton of paramedics that were there to tend to the runners after they finished that were able to jump right into action. The fact that there have also been so few fatalities since the explosion also speaks volumes for the skill that the medical team has.

Also, I heard that marathon runners crossed the finish line and kept running to the hospital to give blood. If that doesn’t restore some faith in humanity, I don’t know what will.

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:26PM EDT

Ok, im fucking done. Now people are saying a man on a rooftop did it all. Also, people are blaming cia. Whats next? Fucking adolf hitler cam back to life and did this? Seriously take a moment and just look at how fucking stupid you sound. An 8 year old girl died. A man got his legs blown off. People were affected, and what do you do? Blame people. Last point: GROW THE FUCK UP.
James holmes shoots people in a theater-memes
Kid shoots elementry school-batman conspiracy
Boston marathon-cia conspiracy and memes
Sorry for breaking fourms rule #6 but this has to stop.

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 03:50PM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 03:28PM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

Ok, im fucking done. Now people are saying a man on a rooftop did it all. Also, people are blaming cia. Whats next? Fucking adolf hitler cam back to life and did this? Seriously take a moment and just look at how fucking stupid you sound. An 8 year old girl died. A man got his legs blown off. People were affected, and what do you do? Blame people. Last point: GROW THE FUCK UP.
James holmes shoots people in a theater-memes
Kid shoots elementry school-batman conspiracy
Boston marathon-cia conspiracy and memes
Sorry for breaking fourms rule #6 but this has to stop.

First of all, are you implying that a conspiracy involving the CIA is completely out of the question? That would be a very ignorant thing to say.

Secondly, comedy is tragedy. All tragic events, regardless of time passed or bloodshed, i.e., a chicken getting run over while crossing the road to the holocaust, will eventually and always be joked about, whether you are offended by it or not. While it’s not a particularly good thing, it is the basis of almost all comedy, and it is going to happen.

Whining on an internet message board (dedicated to memes, no less) will not stop it. Perhaps you should, in your own words, “Grow the fuck up”, and realize that.

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:51PM EDT

Someone else might have gotten to this first, but apparently the trauma surgeons dug ball bearings out of the stomachs of some people who’d gotten hit by the bombs. So in other words, this was not some kid trying to make a practical joke, but this was someone who was very, very angry and out to kill some people. However, as of yet the authorities deem it doubtworthy that Al Qaeda was responsible or some other terrorist group.

This was a homemade shrapnel bomb, if fortunately not an enormous one. If one of those shrapnel bombs had been inside a car and not a trash can, they could have killed a thousand people and not three. So, in a horrible kind of way, nothing good certainly happened, but something much worse could have happened.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:10PM EDT

Alight, so I discovered an odd thing about the explosion. According to this Huffington Post article, the bombs that went off were made of pressure cookers. Why is that unusual? Well, just a short time ago Randal Munroe (the creator of xkcd) posted an article on his What If? blog in which he described one possible way to make a pressure cooker bomb ():

Fill the cooker with oxygen up to 5 PSI, then pump in fluorine until it starts escaping through the safety valve. Put the vessel over an open flame until it reaches 700°C (That’s °C, not °F. Yes, this will probably set off the smoke alarm.) Now, pump the hot gas over a liquid-oxygen-cooled stainless steel surface.

The procedure here is a little tricky, but if you do things right, the gas will condense into dioxygen difluoride (O2F2).

And that stuff is awful.

Ray Bradbury taught us that paper burns when exposed to oxygen at temperatures above 451°F. Dioxygen difluoride is so volatile that it makes almost any organic substance ignite and explode at any temperature hotter than 300°F below zero. It can literally make ice catch fire.

In an article about O2F2, Chemistry blogger Derek Lowe (of the excellent In The Pipeline) used phrases like “violently hideous”, “deeply alarming”, and “chemicals that I never hope to encounter”. Another article refers to fluorine as “the gas of Lucifer”, and lists chemists who were poisoned or blown up while attempting to work with it.

If your house is heated by natural gas, and it happens to contain hydrogen sulfide, you could pipe some of it into your container of O2F2. In addition to a massive explosion, this will also produce a cloud of hydrogen fluoride gas. Hydrogen fluoride can dissolve human tissue on contact, starting with your lungs and corneas.

As Lowe points out, the chemistry of this kind of reaction (O2F2 and sulfides) is largely unexplored.

Which gives us an answer to our question. What’s the worst thing that can happen in a pressure cooker.

Now, I have no way to know if this is any more than a coincidence, but it is a pretty strange one. I just thought that I should point it out to you guys. Still, when they get around to saying in more detail how the bombs were made, see if they mention Dioxygen difluoride.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:40PM EDT

Jimmy "Sniper" Lethal wrote:

Fuck, they’re at it again.

I give them a week before their “church” is a pile of ash.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:43PM EDT

I think it’s time we stop paying attention to what these idiots think. They thrive on attention, so let’s ignore them. Just keep them at a respectable distance from the funerals, but other than that, nothing. No news articles or segments, nothing.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:50PM EDT

Platus wrote:

Alight, so I discovered an odd thing about the explosion. According to this Huffington Post article, the bombs that went off were made of pressure cookers. Why is that unusual? Well, just a short time ago Randal Munroe (the creator of xkcd) posted an article on his What If? blog in which he described one possible way to make a pressure cooker bomb ():

Fill the cooker with oxygen up to 5 PSI, then pump in fluorine until it starts escaping through the safety valve. Put the vessel over an open flame until it reaches 700°C (That’s °C, not °F. Yes, this will probably set off the smoke alarm.) Now, pump the hot gas over a liquid-oxygen-cooled stainless steel surface.

The procedure here is a little tricky, but if you do things right, the gas will condense into dioxygen difluoride (O2F2).

And that stuff is awful.

Ray Bradbury taught us that paper burns when exposed to oxygen at temperatures above 451°F. Dioxygen difluoride is so volatile that it makes almost any organic substance ignite and explode at any temperature hotter than 300°F below zero. It can literally make ice catch fire.

In an article about O2F2, Chemistry blogger Derek Lowe (of the excellent In The Pipeline) used phrases like “violently hideous”, “deeply alarming”, and “chemicals that I never hope to encounter”. Another article refers to fluorine as “the gas of Lucifer”, and lists chemists who were poisoned or blown up while attempting to work with it.

If your house is heated by natural gas, and it happens to contain hydrogen sulfide, you could pipe some of it into your container of O2F2. In addition to a massive explosion, this will also produce a cloud of hydrogen fluoride gas. Hydrogen fluoride can dissolve human tissue on contact, starting with your lungs and corneas.

As Lowe points out, the chemistry of this kind of reaction (O2F2 and sulfides) is largely unexplored.

Which gives us an answer to our question. What’s the worst thing that can happen in a pressure cooker.

Now, I have no way to know if this is any more than a coincidence, but it is a pretty strange one. I just thought that I should point it out to you guys. Still, when they get around to saying in more detail how the bombs were made, see if they mention Dioxygen difluoride.

You can’t get F2 gas. You just can’t, unless you’re a research lab. There are so, so many easier ways of making explosives that don’t involve toxic gases. So, as a chemist, I’m saying that there is no way that those were O2F2 bombs.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:51PM EDT

Please, stop going to or linking to them. Stop giving them attention. Stop listening to them. That is what they are after. Ignore them.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:59PM EDT

don’t worry one day there might be an day in history known as the day where westburo is hated by everyone don’t pay attention they act like the beast

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:02PM EDT

opspe wrote:

You can’t get F2 gas. You just can’t, unless you’re a research lab. There are so, so many easier ways of making explosives that don’t involve toxic gases. So, as a chemist, I’m saying that there is no way that those were O2F2 bombs.

Well, he does actuall explain how to make it, but that is neither here nor there – apparently pressure cooker bombs are a common type of improvised explosive. The pressure cooker is just a container that makes the explosive pressure build up. I mostly just thought it was an odd coincidence.

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:06PM EDT

opspe wrote:

I don’t think he was implying that, just the idea of using a rigged pressure cooker. The mere suggestion of O2F2 being involved is kind of silly though.

Granted, if this sick SOB had somehow managed to release hydrogen fluoride gas from those bombs, this would be an even more hellish tragedy than what we’re already facing.
I remember doing research in an engineering class of the usage on the extremely hypergolic ClF3, and why we ended up never using it as a rocket propellant. The reasons were very good ones.

It is, of course, far more likely that this was just a standard explosive made with premixed powders or chemicals. It’s much easier to make a small bomb than a lot of people think. You include shrapnel (the ball bearings) when you want to make it more effective. After that, it’s just a matter of using a wireless receiver and a trip to any DIY tech website.

Apr 16, 2013 at 06:07PM EDT

Noticed people already posting some dark humor pics of this tragedy on KYM
What is wrong with them? How can anyone find death humorous? That’s just sick and sad. My condolences for those harmed and lost in the bombings.

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 07:44PM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 07:44PM EDT

I was going to make a joke, but it might be too soon. Not for 4chan, though. I’ll head on over there.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:18PM EDT

@markhoax

The same thing happened on 9/11

There will always be some dipshits that have absolutely no remorse in tragic events because they are miles from the event, or they take life for granted or both. So where they don’t feel remorse, they try to substitute with humor (to them, anyway)

It’s easy for them to do that when the tragedy has no impact on them whatsoever. But if the bombing happened in their town, rest assured, they wouldn’t be making jokes

This is just one of the consequences of having a worldwide internet that allows apathetic people to weigh in on events that had no impact on them, including their total apathy. (Also a consequence of having an internet that lets immature little doucheclowns post on it.)

As I say: Just as there is nothing that the internet cannot take too seriously; the opposite is also true: there is nothing that the internet cannot joke about. An unfortunate way things are.

Last edited Apr 16, 2013 at 11:31PM EDT
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:27PM EDT

Le Bumpkin wrote:

I was going to make a joke, but it might be too soon. Not for 4chan, though. I’ll head on over there.

I wonder if you would be joking had you lost a loved one or a limb in the bombing. Show a little compasion bitch.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:07AM EDT

Dac wrote:

I think it’s time we stop paying attention to what these idiots think. They thrive on attention, so let’s ignore them. Just keep them at a respectable distance from the funerals, but other than that, nothing. No news articles or segments, nothing.

Check out their Facebook page right now. Anonymous hacked it and defaced it with pictures of the Guy Fawkes Mask, images from Star Trek and cries for tolerance.
It’s beautiful, you need to see it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:43PM EDT

Durvarowe wrote:

Check out their Facebook page right now. Anonymous hacked it and defaced it with pictures of the Guy Fawkes Mask, images from Star Trek and cries for tolerance.
It’s beautiful, you need to see it.

This is why I love Anonymous.

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:03PM EDT

sigh I’m really losing some faith on humanity.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:07AM EDT

Dac wrote:

I wonder if you would be joking had you lost a loved one or a limb in the bombing. Show a little compasion bitch.

I’ve been trying not to, but I’m just going to go ahead and say it: You aren’t in a position to say something like that. I know for a fact that half of you don’t even care, and are only posting to get Karma or look like a nice guy, and it’s really starting to piss me off.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:56AM EDT

Okay guys, seems the two main suspects were two Chechnyan men, two brothers. One was killed in a firefight early this morning, apparently not just guns were used, seems they also had grenades. The older brother, 26, is reported dead from the raid and the other is reported as escaping. More on this later.

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:54AM EDT

Cale wrote:

I’ve been trying not to, but I’m just going to go ahead and say it: You aren’t in a position to say something like that. I know for a fact that half of you don’t even care, and are only posting to get Karma or look like a nice guy, and it’s really starting to piss me off.

I’m just saying to show a little respect. Is it really that hard to believe that I feel sorry for people who are will suffer from there injuries for the rest of their lives? That an 8 year old boy won’t have the chance to grow up? Sure, a lot of my feelings for this stem from the fact that it makes me remember that life is such a fragile thing and that I or someone I love can just die in a split second, but If you honestly think that’s its impossible to sympathize with the people who died or were injured, the problem lies with you. So you know what, yeah, I think I am In the position to say that that someone should show some respect. I wasn’t aware I needed some kind of title to say that.
You want to know what pisses me off? Cynical ass hats that think " well, I don’t care about it, therefore others don’t either and are just trying to look good but acting like they care".

@ who am I

Any word on their motives?

Last edited Apr 19, 2013 at 09:35AM EDT
Apr 19, 2013 at 09:25AM EDT

Earlier this day a shootout took place on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Boston. The shooting apparently took place between the police and the two suspects of the bombing. One of the bombers was shot dead (name not released). His partner Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, both originating from the Chechen ethnicity from Russia, is still on the run for the police.

Police officers have started a manhunt around the MIT and Boston to search for Tsarnaev and the city is currently on lockdown. All residents are advised to stay indoors. The suspect is believed to be highly armed.

In the shootout, one police officer was shot and later died. Officials at Beth Israel Hospital reported they received one patient (who later died) who received so many blast, scrapnel, and gunshot wounds, that they were unable to count them. Whether this person was the later reported dead police officer or one of the two dead bombers was not released.

Boston Local
ABC News

Last edited Apr 19, 2013 at 09:48AM EDT
Apr 19, 2013 at 09:46AM EDT

There were two suspects.
Both brothers.
One brother died in the hospital, the other is out for brutal vengeance.

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:55PM EDT

Seems like the surviving brother is in custody.

Apr 19, 2013 at 08:55PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!