Forums / General

195,841 total conversations in 5,394 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9,944 conversations with 165 participants

Kewln00b? wrote:

Or Derpy and the Doctor get shipped because the Doctor has a thing for the Derp eyes. And knowing the internet that one seems a bit more valid than something that sounds like it makes too much sense to be real.

Who doesn’t have a thing for Derp eyes?

Nov 14, 2013 at 02:52PM EST
Quote

Dr Whooves wrote:

Who doesn’t have a thing for Derp eyes?

It’s impossible not to.

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:37PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

Please let that be a Sound of Music reference at the end there. Just please, let me have that.


Oh, hey, nine days!

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:49PM EST
Quote

Dr Whooves wrote:

Who doesn’t have a thing for Derp eyes?

Me!
Well, I find them funny, but not attractive or anything like that.

Then again, you all probably know that already after the big Derpy argument.

Nov 14, 2013 at 04:51PM EST
Quote

Man, remember when I was speculating that the Hub wouldn’t start leaking all these clips? Boy how wrong was I. I just hope this time I’m right about them not releasing basically half the episode a week before Season 4 premieres. But then again, I don’t see that happening considering we only have two weeks left and they only just started the Season 4 Hype train while with Season 3 it was like “What’s this? Season 3 is still four whole months away? Here, HAVE EVERYTHING!!!!! Wait did you just see all those prototype Princess Twilight dolls? What Princess Twilight Dolls? Twilight isn’t becoming a princess, Look a moose!”

In other non spoiler news, one of my coworkers called me to tell me that at work they have My Little Pony pinatas. Each one shaped like each of the Mane 6, he told me he was going to buy one for me to cheer me up but some overweight guy bought them all. Which kind of raises a few questions for me, why would you buy a pinata for something you like? You know what you do with Pinatas right? Exactly, can you look at me with a straight face and say “I want to buy this Fluttershy Pinata so I can crack her head and stomach open for her sweet delicious candy.”

That makes me wonder, was this guy a hater who wanted to just smash these ponies over and over again to get the feeling of killing our Waifus? Or was he a brony who just wanted the pinatas? I mean what would a brony want with a bunch of Pinatas modeled after the Mane 6 if he’s not going to smash them open?………………………………………………….OH SWEET MERCIFUL XENU! I hope it’s not that.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:40PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

Gee, thank you for that spoiler. Yep, I wasn’t avoiding spoilers until premiere day here. Nope, not at all.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:43PM EST
Quote

Just to let you know, by quoting the spoiling video, you bring it over into the new page. Even if I went back to spoiler it, it still may show up in your posts.

I wouldn’t have noticed until it was quoted.
 
Don’t quote objectionable content. @SillyUser will suffice.
  
 
Have Best Condescending Background Ponu.

I need a drink. I may also need a moment to reconsider my lot in life now.

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:20PM EST
Quote

Condescending background ponu? That’s a funny way to spell “musicpone who probably has a sexy British accent.”

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:54PM EST
Quote

Verbose wrote:

Even if I went back to spoiler it, it still may show up in your posts.

Now that you have spoilered it, any new quotes will now have your update added into them. Therefore it should be ok for people to quote the post.

Old quotes take a while to update. A quick way around this waiting period is to mod edit yourself into their posts and just hit update. The update you then cause will also force the quote to update to its new style.


Why one mediocre background musician, when you can have a mediocre cast.

Last edited Nov 14, 2013 at 08:07PM EST
Nov 14, 2013 at 07:56PM EST
Quote

…..But what’s so spoilerific about the video post? Unless you actually click on the video you’re not really getting ‘spoiled’ as the thumbnail is just a picture of Twilight and background ponies, I mean it’s not like it’s a picture of Twilight being royally pwned by a Griffon or something. Even the title for the video isn’t spoilerish it’s just “My Little Pony Season 4 clip”

@Randomman’s ‘Mediocre cast’ Implying they’re important enough to be considered a ‘class’ outside of those who believe their Fanfics are in the same canon as the show like me.

Last edited Nov 14, 2013 at 08:49PM EST
Nov 14, 2013 at 08:47PM EST
Quote

@Platus
Dose untagged spoilers.

sstabeler said:

…what IS the line of succession in Equestria?

I would guess it’s Celestia>Luna>Twilight>Cadance>Head of Parliament/other top government official. I think because of the Crystal Empire, Cadance would be lower on the totem pole than Twilight. Why pass the throne onto somepony who already has enough on their plate when you have a perfectly good alicorn just sitting around?

Dr Whooves said:

Who doesn’t have a thing for Derp eyes?

We already had this conversation. CrashGordon doesn’t, because of reasons. The conversation eventually devolved, as it always does on /kym/, into talking about fetishes.

@Disturbed Brony
>gets sarcastic about people not using spoiler tags
>doesn’t use spoiler tags when he quotes the person

Ah, sweet irony.

Verbose said:

I need a drink. I may also need a moment to reconsider my lot in life now.

Why do I get the feeling that when the Thread Title Games inevitably drive President Blue Screen insane, it’ll finally send Verbose over the edge and he’ll become a bitter, cynical anti-hero.

RandomMan said:

Now that you have spoilered it, any new quotes will now have your update added into them. Therefore it should be ok for people to quote the post.

Unless you do like I do and manually use the blockqoute tag with copy/paste instead of the quote button, since the quote button’s too much of a hassle when quoting multiple people.

Kewlm00b said:

…But what’s so spoilerific about the video post?

The biggest irony is that the second they go to the Image Gallery, it’ll be spoiled anyway by a screenshot happy poster. Even when you click on the video, it doesn’t give any new information that wasn’t already in the synopsis. I suppose if you were one of those super avoiders, you wouldn’t have read the synopsis yet, but that just ties back to your point about it just being a pic of Twilicorn and a random background pony.

I’ve long since given up on avoiding spoilers, as I’m bound to be spoiled by something. Whether it’s the Image Gallery, or a random post on EQD.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:22PM EST
Quote

The biggest irony is that the second they go to the Image Gallery, it’ll be spoiled anyway by a screenshot happy poster

I know what you mean. What’s worse is the fact that people keep reposting those spoilers that they’re ALWAYS on the front page. At least the first guy who posted them put an NSFW tag on them, which probably disappointed a few of the guys who come the image gallery for a quick wank. I can imagine it now “Wait a minute, I can’t fap to this….wait a minute why is Fluttershy a dragon?”

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:25PM EST
Quote

HEY GUYS! I’M BACK!

I just spent the last few days marathoning Adventure Time, so I’m probably not in a fit state of mind to be posting here. Why did I do that? I might have known once, but I sure as hell don’t know now. Still, I’ll try my best to cover everything I’ve missed. I might have to make it short, though.


@Derpy discussion

Mike:

Agreed. I can’t say more than you did in that post, as you hit everything with it. (is that a right expression? Please correct me if it’s not)

Prettymuch that, but it’s more commonly worded as “hit all the points.”

Dead Carrot:

I think I’m mostly in line with Stunt’s analysis on this one.

Ha! That’s a win in my books! This one is going in the diary.

Then again, you all probably know that already after the big Derpy argument.

It wasn’t really an arguement, I just wanted to hear some more points of view from wonderful intelligent people who I’ve come to know and love… and you! (Kidding, hugs and kisses and such).
Either way, yeah, glad this has been cleared up.


@Fetishes
For the safety of myself, and the safety of others, Stunth-etishes will not be discussed.

@Blue

If only we could use their butts for pillows.


@Comics
in short: iz gud.
In long: The comics are very good and I’ve enjoyed them quite a bit. Next question.


@Fluffle Puff and the pillows of the gods
Okay, I’m not the hugest fan of Fluffle Puffle Pudding & Pie, but that was a pretty funny animation. I’ve never understood why they always use the same sound effects though. Is it a stylistic thing? If so, I’m not much of a fan of it.


@Parrot’s Peculiar Perfect Pony Picture Picking Powers.
He finds these images with finding magic… and image searches!

@ That one picture with the butterflies

Oh my god, that was funny, and I’m not just saying that because DeadParrot posted it. Unless that’s what he wants, in which case I TOTALLY DID!


@All dem doctahs


@All dem spoilahs
I’ve always been more-or-less okay with spoilers so long as they’re official and they aren’t too long. Leaks and that massive video that was released that spoiled half of the season 3 premier are no-no’s to me.


Okay, I think that’s it. STUNTHEAD AWAY!

Last edited Nov 15, 2013 at 01:14AM EST
Nov 15, 2013 at 01:09AM EST
Quote

@Doctor Countdown

11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!
All done!
Can we have season four now?!

I’ve been trying to remain calm, but…
These ponies aren’t making it easy!

Just nine more days…
Just nine more days…
Just nine more days…



Looks like the writers are getting into the idea of ‘live tweeting’ during their episodes, at least for these first two weekends.
Nice to see that they aren’t afraid to face the fans.
God knows McCarthy’s going to be getting plenty of stupid hate tweets…

And then there’s this:

So apparently Daniel Ingram is getting a voice cameo somewhere in season four!
I wonder where that’s going to come up…
(Before anyone assumes that the non-VA show staff is self-inserting or something, it’s not unprecedented. Director Jayson Theissen already made his voice debut back in “Read It And Weep” as the guy who says ‘Hey, get back to the hospital!’)


Aww, she’s just like us!


More bloopers!

Now in 3D!

Last edited Nov 15, 2013 at 02:57AM EST
Nov 15, 2013 at 02:54AM EST
Quote

@Jimmy: That definitely seems to be a pretty prevalent idea about her (and her “girlfriend”), it also seems that some make her and/or Vinyl English sometimes.
@Random: That’s one dude, at least a better gender ratio than the main characters.
@Spoilers: Honestly, it just seems like people are getting really paranoid about this and really excessively broad on what counts as one.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:17AM EST
Quote

8 Days left!

:

“These hooves, they fit perfectly!”

I couldn’t find a picture of the 8th Doctor as a Pony that I liked ( as in one that actually looks like the 8th Doctor) so I quickly threw one together myself, so please excuse the crudeness of said drawing and instead get excited that it’s almost a week away!

Last edited Nov 15, 2013 at 03:27AM EST
Nov 15, 2013 at 03:22AM EST
Quote

@Dontmess

You have an edit button in your post, please use it rather than double posting.


@Stunt

For the safety of myself, and the safety of others, Stunth-etishes will not be discussed.

It’s okay, we already know your DP-related fetishes anyway ;)


@RM

This got me thinking. What exactly are those elements?

Element of time?
Element of harmonics?
Element of bakery?
Element of symphony?
Element of wubs?
Element of delicacy?

Not a very broad range of elements. Most are to do with music and cooking.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:02AM EST
Quote

Hey… Quick question… What do you guys think of the name Serenity for a Bat Pony?

I thought it might make a nice stealth pun if you realize it’s just a couple of distortions onward from the Greek moon goddess Selene. (If you pronounce it with a bit of an accent.)

… Since Luna herself is a direct taking of a name from a Roman Moon god, I figure that for more regular ponies, a name distorted to a common word is probably less presumptuous.

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:17AM EST
Quote

@Lunar

Serenity is a cool name. I’d go with it.


On another unrelated note, I was watching Lets Play video’s of Binding of Isaac and you know those 15 second ads they put in front of the video? Well I got one for the brand new official Twilight Sparkle super special awesome Alicorn Princess action figure! Batteries not included. Only from Hasbro

I don’t think Hasbro would at any point decide little girls search YouTube for Binding of Isaac gameplay video’s, so no doubt Google knows I have a pone fetish and decided I might like the latest toy

Last edited Nov 15, 2013 at 08:19AM EST
Nov 15, 2013 at 08:12AM EST
Quote

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Doctor Countdown

11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!
All done!
Can we have season four now?!

I’ve been trying to remain calm, but…
These ponies aren’t making it easy!

Just nine more days…
Just nine more days…
Just nine more days…



Looks like the writers are getting into the idea of ‘live tweeting’ during their episodes, at least for these first two weekends.
Nice to see that they aren’t afraid to face the fans.
God knows McCarthy’s going to be getting plenty of stupid hate tweets…

And then there’s this:

So apparently Daniel Ingram is getting a voice cameo somewhere in season four!
I wonder where that’s going to come up…
(Before anyone assumes that the non-VA show staff is self-inserting or something, it’s not unprecedented. Director Jayson Theissen already made his voice debut back in “Read It And Weep” as the guy who says ‘Hey, get back to the hospital!’)


Aww, she’s just like us!


More bloopers!

Now in 3D!

Yeah, I think now Meghan has either developed the thickest skin that not even Wolverine’s claws could pierce or she secretly cries herself to sleep every night after her nightly therapy session after Twilicorn. I mean shit The only other person that I’ve seen get this much shit on Twitter are Celebrities who did something that made everyone hate them momentarily, Justin Bieber and Chris Brown. I remember some guy calling Meghan a worthless unfunny cunt when she was trying to build some hype for Season 4, all because of Twilicorn.

It’s times like this that she must be glad that she’s a professional because I couldn’t imagine trying to build hype for something then get insulted like that because some people didn’t like one of my ideas that was kind of forced on me to sell more toys. For that, I salute Megan McCarthy.

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:40AM EST
Quote

I agree… and to be fair… Twilicorn is not the end of the world… I feel kind of bad for the major flak that Meghan has received. what she did, she did well. all in all the Magical Mystery cure was a good episode. maybe some people didn’t like that twilight became an alicorn, but they had all season long to get their bodies ready with the number of spoilers/ leaks there were. they were talking about alicorn twilight weeks before the season started. also, question: why is this change bad? it doesn’t change her character, it will provide two episodes of “learning to fly” gags, and I don’t foresee twilight using her wings much anyway… the only difference will be that she can visit cloudsdale, and fly around a bit. think about it though, does twilight seem like the pony to use flying before magic? i think giving a Pegasus a horn is a bigger step than giving a unicorn wings. anyway, I enjoyed all of the season 3 episodes.
In other news, I’m doing a watch-through with a 2 new bronies here at my dorm. also, my R.A. will have to re-watch season 3 because last year someone who is a former brony (apparently yes, that’s a thing…) ruined it for him with negativity, so he’s convinced it was terrible.
anyway, tl;dr, have some filly cadence

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:20AM EST
Quote

Yeah, I think now Meghan has either developed the thickest skin

I like to think that Meghan simply has too much self esteem to feel threatened by the same people who get reduced to bitter hateful shallow husks of their former selves, all because a magical unicorn in a young girls television show turned into a beautiful princess and grew wings so she she could fly in her wondrous world of flowers and rainbows AND have the petty self entitlement to hold a grudge about that for an entire year

If anyone here really is so miserable and hopeless that you find THAT of all things so much of a problem for you personally, I don’t know what to tell you apart from GROW SOME BALLS

Last edited Nov 15, 2013 at 11:02AM EST
Nov 15, 2013 at 11:00AM EST
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) Wrote:

I don’t know what to tell you apart from GROW SOME BALLS

>Not Spine
>Implying everyone here is male
>Implying everyone here wants to be male
>Imagine saying it to the main characters

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:51PM EST
Quote

^…
>Trying to start shit about gender
>Clearly MUST know that Blue really didn’t mean it that literally or deeply after having been here for so long

I’m sorry Lunar, but mankind and ponykind have united to Shiggy this Diggy.
Also, I swear, if you get upset because I said “mankind” I’m gonna scream…

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:27PM EST
Quote

CrashGordon94 wrote:

^…
>Trying to start shit about gender
>Clearly MUST know that Blue really didn’t mean it that literally or deeply after having been here for so long

I’m sorry Lunar, but mankind and ponykind have united to Shiggy this Diggy.
Also, I swear, if you get upset because I said “mankind” I’m gonna scream…

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:40PM EST
Quote

Crash was all like:

That definitely seems to be a pretty prevalent idea about her (and her “girlfriend”)…

That’s weird. I can’t really imagine Vinyl as British at all. I think she’s more nightlife area, which is why I have her in Vegas. Speaking of, is there any such thing as a Vegas accent, or do they just borrow from SoCal?


By the way, Paul McGann days left.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:56PM EST
Quote

Kewlm00b said:

Yeah, I think now Meghan has either developed the thickest skin that not even Wolverine’s claws could pierce or she secretly cries herself to sleep every night after her nightly therapy session after Twilicorn.

She’s a content producer. Content producers always get loads of shit on the internet. Maxwell Atoms (creator of Billy and Mandy) went on /co/ yesterday to drum up support for his “M rated puppet show taking place in a post-apocalyptic LA” (I’m not joking) and had people demanding puppet porn in exchange for supportng the project.

I remember some guy calling Meghan a worthless unfunny cunt…

That’s all? I’ve heard people threatening to send mail bombs to Hasbro HQ. And then there was that one McCarthy/Faust clopfic thread…sometimes, I question why I go on /mlp/.

Blue Screen said:

I like to think that Meghan simply has too much self esteem to feel threatened by the same people who get reduced to bitter hateful shallow husks of their former selves, all because a magical unicorn in a young girls television show turned into a beautiful princess and grew wings so she she could fly in her wondrous world of flowers and rainbows AND have the petty self entitlement to hold a grudge about that for an entire year

Honestly, I can kind of understand it. Fictional media is essentially escapism and people frolic to ponies to get away from the boring/stressful/sad lives. When they see something that upsets them, that escapism is shattered and they’re once again thrust into the world, realizing that no matter what, real life will dominate even their fantasies. And that makes them bitter and angry.

This is why fandoms are such serious business. People fight to ensure their escapism will remain intact and free of things that remind them of the real world. It’s why shipping’s so popular (romantic fantasies are one of the oldest forms of escapism), and deadly, as the wrong canon ship will shatter that little part of the person’s escapism. The biggest irony is the more protective people get with their fandoms and escapism, the more shitstorms are likely to happen, and the more likely that escapsim is to shatter.

Ignore this, it’s just worthless philosophical BS that’s more than likely untrue.

CrashGordon94 said:

Also, I swear, if you get upset because I said “mankind” I’m gonna scream…

The proper, non-cisgendered, non-Patriarchy, non-speciesist term is “creaturekind” as we don’t want to offend those who identify as an Asian mollusk.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:15PM EST
Quote

7 Days Left!

:

“Unlimited Rice Pudding!”

A week from today.. It begins. This is going to be the longest week ever, also, this Doctor Whooves McCoy art is by the best Doctor Whooves artist I’ve seen on the interwebs, Lissy-Strata if you haven’t seen their work before, I’d recommend checking it out!

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 11:13AM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 11:11AM EST
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Yeah, I think now Meghan has either developed the thickest skin

I like to think that Meghan simply has too much self esteem to feel threatened by the same people who get reduced to bitter hateful shallow husks of their former selves, all because a magical unicorn in a young girls television show turned into a beautiful princess and grew wings so she she could fly in her wondrous world of flowers and rainbows AND have the petty self entitlement to hold a grudge about that for an entire year

If anyone here really is so miserable and hopeless that you find THAT of all things so much of a problem for you personally, I don’t know what to tell you apart from GROW SOME BALLS

You never know man, a LOT of people in the business can’t even take a joke compared to criticism. I mean, look at Kanye West. Imagine if HE were the one who made Twilicorn and then got all these insults. South Park would have enough material for a two parter!

Also, be forewarned folks. A new preview for Season 4 is about, this one is one of the ones that appear in one of those commercials….One. I decided to watch it because well….let’s say I manage to catch an episode of Pone on the Hub this week I’ll probably end up watching it because I don’t want to sit there covering my ears and eyes going “LALALALALALALALALA I CAN’T HEAR YOU HUB! LALALALALALALA” mainly because I’m not in a position to be covering both of my ears (yes, more pity!!!)

All I can say is, well, the preview isn’t ‘spoilerish’ in a way. But then again with the way some people think as spoilers YOU JUST SAID THE EPISODE TITLE?! Well I might as well go break into the hub and watch the episode right now because you just spoiled the entire episode for me! it’s spoiler crazy!!! I mean even the voice doing the narration is kinda a spoiler.

Also, it’s nice to see that despite the fact that they’re using flash they’re able to make the animation better and better every year. I wonder if animation schools will end up looking at Season 7 of My Little Pony and having their students study that or something.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 01:27PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 01:25PM EST
Quote
YOU JUST SAID THE EPISODE TITLE?! Well I might as well go break into the hub and watch the episode right now because you just spoiled the entire episode for me!


By eugene-joe-c

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:45PM EST
Quote
Something Something, “Only one Princess” sounds less like Luna did on the story board panel with voice and more like Celestia. Damn, this was more eloquent the first time I wrote it.

Urgh… Exuse me while I go hate myself for a bungled attempt at Spoiler Tags due to improper copying of the Tags.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 02:21PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 02:14PM EST
Quote
it sounds more like Nightmare Moon, actually. Which makes more sense, because by the tale Twilight read out in the first episode, Celestia tried to reason with Luna/Nightmare Moon. It makes even less sense for ti to be Celestia if it is in current times, not a flashback, since Celestia was the one who engineered Twilight becoming an Alicorn
Nov 16, 2013 at 04:28PM EST
Quote

Kewlm00b said:

All I can say is, well, the preview isn’t ‘spoilerish’ in a way

>isn’t spoilerish
>shows Discord’s original stoning scene
>has NMM/Luna say “There can only be one princess in Equestria!”

Honestly, it’s the most spoilerish promo we’ve had yet. I wonder who the actual Everfree villain is going to be? So much has been made of NMM and Discord that the real villain’s been lost in all the hype.

@Lunar Protege
That’s definitely Luna/NMM. As sstabeler said, contextually, it doesn’t make sense for it to be Celestia.

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:33PM EST
Quote
Could it be that the Everfree Forest of Nightmare Moon again? we know from the comics that the Nightmare part isn’t attacked to Luna…
Nov 16, 2013 at 05:46PM EST
Quote

If you have time to gawk, you have time for chalk. I didn’t upload the one from last week because I didn’t want to give anyone cancer, but here it is for reference. We had a very low supply of chalk in those colors and it was very windy, so it looks very faint.


Also, you can’t tell in the picture, but we messed up Celestia’s mouth and she sort of looked like the Joker.
However, this week we did a big one for the premier that is apparently next week. Behold:



And the camscanned versions:

This is the first time we’ve drawn Cadence (we actually drew alicorn Twilight last year in September before she was even canon). I personally assisted in various parts of Luna and most of Cadence, since nobody else seemed to want to draw Cadence. Luna’s body fill is actually several colors blended by hand. Cadence’s hair and wing gradients were also blended by hand. This was very painful and time consuming because the ground is all rocky and sharp, and these chalkings are pretty big. The whole thing took about 3 hours.

There probably won’t be a chalking next week, but we have something else special planned for this week so fear not.

Also, that’s supposed to be the Hub logo we chalked on the sewer cover near Cadence’s tail. Because we’re terrible people.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 08:19PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 08:17PM EST
Quote

Honestly, I can kind of understand it. Fictional media is essentially escapism and people frolic to ponies to get away from the boring/stressful/sad lives. When they see something that upsets them, that escapism is shattered and they’re once again thrust into the world, realizing that no matter what, real life will dominate even their fantasies. And that makes them bitter and angry.

You and I both know the reasons for that upset. But I believe that upset points to much bigger insecurities and instabilities in peoples lives that are more important than Twilicorn. Think about it. If people are upset because Twilicorn pulled them back down to reality, then they must lack the ability to face reality. That’s a problem for them, not the show. As human beings we need to learn to adapt to life shattering changes, let alone fantasy shattering changes. Being bitter and hateful of change is no way to live

I also understand the upset that stems from the fact that a good show jumped the shark. If it were a major drama series like the X-files, then I’d be upset too if Mully and Sculder quit their job to be the undisputed king and queen of the galaxy. But this isn’t a major drama series. It’s just an innocent kids cartoon. It doesn’t need to be taken quite so critically. Twilicorn was a disappointment. But not worth so much jimmies. My advice to those affected by it: Man up.

You never know man, a LOT of people in the business can’t even take a joke compared to criticism. I mean, look at Kanye West. Imagine if HE were the one who made Twilicorn and then got all these insults. South Park would have enough material for a two parter!

He’d make some noise about it. But I think even HE would recognise that he’s being criticised by people who get upset by a magical unicorn becoming a princess. That’s just too ridiculous! Not even Kanye could take that upset seriously. He’d be more like “LOL U MAD?” And he would also quote me on “GROW SOME BALLS

As for Meghan, obviously she is a lot more mature than either me or Kanye so she’s able to brush them all off and extend only her deepest pity. She must know as well as I do, that if you get upset by a magical unicorn becoming a princess, then you may have bigger issues with your life to worry about.

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:38PM EST
Quote

I think once you get into the realm of “Grow up,” Grow some balls," and “Deal with it,” you begin to discredit the person who’s actually having issues with it.

Remember, for better or worse, a lot of people put a lot of emotional stock into this show. A lot of those people were previously depressed and/or suicidal. This show about magical, cartoon ponies might be a crutch that is based more on the whims of a company built to make money on people who are not the people using the show as a crutch, and it might be sad that people are so attached to it. But I don’t think that’s a reason to simply dismiss them and tell them to just deal with it. That’s unnecessarily flippant.

Just telling someone who’s really upset to deal with whatever issue their having without actually saying how they should get over it is, at worst, dangerous to those people you’re (quite actually) putting down with no support. And, at best, being a bit condescending (and I know all about being condescending.)
 
The creators are probably going about it in the best way possible though. They’re having fun with it and aren’t letting a (now significant, periphery portion) of their audience get them down. Remember that if they critically offend bronies, a lot of things that were targeted for us is gone. The bathrobes, the full season DVDs, Hot Topic merchandise…money (no matter how small) out of Hasbro’s pockets. It’s bad business to be overtly flippant.

You tell the upset portion of the fanbase to “grow some balls,” and those same people (me included to some extent) who are upset about Derpy or Princess Twilight may just stop buying that merchandise.

If we’re petty enough to make a stink over a cartoon show, then I would certainly think we’re petty enough to stop supporting it especially when you’re getting picked on for our enthusiastic connection to it (even if we left ourselves open to such criticism and sarcasm.)

This coming from the whole social science degrees and research I did. And those 2,000+ participant studies opspe and I did.

Probably nothing to it though. You’re probably better off going with the “lol u maed? grow some losers” approach.
 
 
But you know me: I take everything too seriously.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 10:11PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:07PM EST
Quote

@Verbs

Thats a very fair way to look at it from Hasbro and the show creators perspective. Keep in mind that when I say this:

As for Meghan, obviously she is a lot more mature than either me or Kanye so she’s able to brush them all off and extend only her deepest pity

I am still only speaking from my own perspective on the matter. I cannot speak for Meghan personally.

But taking what you say into account. Then it is very reasonable for Meghan to not respond to her critique purely in the interest of damage control and not making matters worse. She seems like a decent person who wouldn’t like upsetting bronies for whatever reason, even if they may sound petty to me personally, and this is likely one of those cases where the best response she can make with respect to those affected is to not actually respond directly, but to keep doing the best she can do as a content creator

It certainly would not serve in her best interests to snap back to her critics/death threateners. Especially not with my style of snide remarks. That would, as you say: threaten Hasbro stocks and turn away potential buyers

I can say “grow some balls” because I’m just some asshole on the other end of a PC monitor. But Meghan has to be far more considerate and sure enough, she is.

Just telling someone who’s really upset to deal with whatever issue their having without actually saying how they should get over it is, at worst, dangerous to those people you’re (quite actually) putting down with no support.

On this note though, how do you suggest people get over it? The case is that grown teens/young adults feel disgruntled and upset over a kids cartoon doing what a kids cartoon is likely to do. Yes, I do (as dickish as it may seem) think those people should get over that but I don’t know how one could elaborate that any further.

The alternative is obvious: you’ve got literally dozens of other matters in your life that are more important that Twilicorn and if you don’t, you are getting some soon. If it hurts you that much, you can easily let it go and concentrate on other area’s of your life. Unlike say: family matters, taxes, insurance, relationships, employment, legal suits, personal health, habits, philosophy…

But then again, I say all this as a hardened adult that’s already been pounded in the ass by life and I have many more years of pounding to go. In terms of great strains on my life, Twilicorn didn’t even appear on radar compared all the other crap I go through. You will recognise an anecdotal fallacy in me saying that because it doesn’t register as a problem for me, then it isn’t for others. Even I know that I’m being silly here.

I don’t really have a way of understanding how it impacted others. Others who may have found it more significant in their lives. Let alone what to tell them. Obviously “get over it” is simply too broad and too dismissive for something that would be more realistically approached on a case-by-case basis. But I don’t know what else to say.

Last edited Nov 16, 2013 at 10:56PM EST
Nov 16, 2013 at 10:49PM EST
Quote

@Show Staff
That’s one of the big reasons I love the people who work on MLP: They know how to handle criticism while still having fun.

(By the way, ‘Big Jim’s’ normal position is storyboard supervisor so he another example of staff members getting in on the whole VA thing.)

I guess they all got to hang around with and learn from the best, didn’t they?

But yeah, the real key is that they are mature enough to handle the occasional internet insanity without taking it too seriously and without becoming defensive about themselves and their work.
They clearly put a lot of themselves into the production of the show and it comes out in the quality of it all, but at the end of the day, they know that they make cartoons for one primary reason: fun.
They enjoy it.
If they didn’t, they wouldn’t have their entire lives focused on that goal.
They know that critics and assholes will come along and try to deter them, but they are comfortable enough with what they do that they take it all in stride.

Even though, as we all know, ponies are serious business…

Hot Mac on Mac action.
Eeyup…


@Verbose
I see your point, but I think we are mostly talking about different kinds of people.
If someone has a legitimate issue with the direction the show is taking and is willing to articulate that issue in a calm and respectful manner, then yes, dismissing them out-of-hand is insulting and flippant.
Once someone takes their frustration to the level of direct insults and death threats, though, I don’t mind at all.
At that point, it is unlikely that the person is at all interested in actual constructive debate and simply wants to vent and berate.
Constructive criticism needs willing participants on both ends.

And again, as BSoD said, what exactly are they supposed to say?
I mean, a lot of the recent crap they’ve been getting has been over Twilicorn.
People don’t like it, some people downright hate it, but in the end, it happened.
It was a major event in the course of the show and it’s kind of set in stone now.
No amount of complaining and screaming is going to undo the last season so, to a certain extent, ‘Get over it’ really is all you can say in a general case.
If someone absolutely can’t get past the idea of Twilight having wings, full stop, there isn’t much that anyone can do to help them.
They will either need to find some way to ‘deal with it’ (not the sarcastic, meme-y way) or move on.

If I can use an analogy, think of it like a time when a friend accidentally but severely betrays another.
No amount of berating the other person will undo the mistake or make things go back to the time before it all happened.
The ‘victim’ at that point has a choice: Attempt to salvage the friendship or cut ties and move on.
It can be sad and infuriating to have to leave something you once held dear, but if you really can’t possibly get past the issue any other way, it’s going to be for the best.

(The only other solution I can think of is reassuring fans of ‘Twi Classic’ that ‘New Twi’ will be the same character, thus preserving a sort of status quo in their minds and letting them continue to enjoy it as before. And McCarthy has done just that from the day we found out about Twilicorn.)

Also, I think it should be mentioned that any attempt to please the disgruntled side of the argument will almost assuredly piss off some other, likely equally large (or larger) segment of people.
For example, as forced and unnecessary as Twilight’s transformation was, it would only be compounded were they to suddenly say ‘Oh wait, do-over!’ and send her back to Unicorn-Land.
Honestly, something like that would do far more toward destroying my faith in the show than any single character change.


And now for something a bit lighter:

I have watched this thing about a dozen times now.
It’s so damn silly and cute and catchy.
WHY CAN’T I STOP?!

Last edited Nov 17, 2013 at 12:31AM EST
Nov 17, 2013 at 12:27AM EST
Quote

Honestly, I think you’re all right, it’s true that telling these people to grow a pair can be very dismissive though at the same time taking the show as seriously as to be physically enraged by it is just silly, I think it comes down to how someone deals with their disapproval of something, remember when “Love and tolerate” used to be a thing? Threatening the cast and crew is not cool, no matter who you are, how attached you are and whatever change they have made Unless they give Spike a spin-off show then, by all means go nuts. Although I like to believe that the staff are able to brush it off, the fact it gets to a point where such comments are being made is the real problem. There are many sane ways to voice any negative views you, as a viewer might have. I agree with Blue that MLP isn’t really a show where a big change should have such backlash, however I also agree with Verbose that these complaints shouldn’t be overlooked if they do exist for whatever reason, and I agree with Deadparrot it’s about how that person makes their opinion known.

Though on that note, am I the only person who thought Twilight being turned into a princess was cute? I mean I’ve realized that I’ve never been angered by the show, and I just enjoy everything that comes with it, like Equestria Girls and all that so, equally I’m probably not someone who’s able to really comment on it either, but, I mean I can’t be the only person who likes Twilicorn?

Faust does deal with Trolls in the best way, though I imagine dealing with stubborn imaginary monsters for so many years has probably given her enough training, and I’ll leave it there on a Fosters reference.

EDIT: I just thought I'd add, in case anyone misunderstands, the spike-spin of bit was a joke and there's never a good reason to send threats to anyone (Might seem obvious but I'd rather make sure tis' is clear) - and if there were a spike spin-off show, I'd hypocritically watch and love every second of it..

Last edited Nov 17, 2013 at 02:00AM EST
Nov 17, 2013 at 01:50AM EST
Quote

I was never pissed off by the whole ‘Twilicorn’ thing. Especially during Season 2 when some guy came up with a theory that involved Twilight becoming an Alicorn (though, he was thinking it was going to be at the end of the series), and the fact that I kind of had this feeling it was bound to happen from the beginning and it just became my personal headcanon for how the series would end. Though Lauren says that she wasn’t meant to be an Alicorn but it was obvious she had something BIG planned for her since the beginning. You know, due to those ‘subtle’ hints (How Twilight was able to get the helements of armory, Celestia choosing her for her ‘raw magical ability’, her special talent being magic itself. the foreshadowing just seemed about as subtle as a freight train to me) given through the first and second seasons.

By the time the rumors started coming around I just casually sat there and went “Called it” and just took it as it was. My only real problem with the whole Twilicorn thing was the fact that I felt like it happened too early. It wasn’t like if the Cutie Mark Crusaders managed to get their cutie marks this season as since they’re still young they still have goals in their lives that aren’t just “We need our cutie marks!” like say Sweetie Belle might finally realize she would like to make a career of singing, whereas when you’re promoted to Alicorn Princess that’s kinda like maxing out right there. She’s already reached the top of the top right there, only way to go any higher is to become Princess of Equestria itself, but due to Celestia being immortal and the fact that Luna would probably take Celestia’s place if she hit a certain age and went “Well shit, looks like that’s as far as my immortality spreads out to.” and croaks.

I just don’t think it was possible for me to get as pissed off about the whole Twilicorn thing like a few choice posters on the Image Gallery treating Alicorn Twilight like the thing that’s driving Lauren Faust to suicide and completely destroying the world. The worst thing Twilicorn did to me was make me limit my exposure with the fandom, not because Twilicorn was a mistake that’ll bring forth Armageddon unless Alicorn Twilight and Meghan McCarthy was destroyed, but because of the fact that it just made me take a second glance back at the fandom and take a few steps back and jump ship.

Nov 17, 2013 at 02:55AM EST
Quote

@DeadParrot I was going to post a bunch of pics of ponies since this page has too much text but that video was so great, so instead here is more of that YTer’s work.

Ah yes, such cute. Here! HAVE ANOTHER! (it’s on topic cuz we were talking about derpy. :3)

(sidenote: the default video embed width is randomly either 560 or 420 while the height is the same. lol. 420.)

Last edited Nov 17, 2013 at 03:03AM EST
Nov 17, 2013 at 03:00AM EST
Quote

Oh gawd. I didn’t want to double post, but here I am. It’s not my fault everyone else is sleeping when I should be too…oh wait. it is. Anyways where to start…

Ok, so if you didn’t catch this video posted by Kuledud3 eight months ago called Twilight’s Arctic Adventure then I’ll spoiler it here.


Also, it was partially animated by aginpro pretty well so I’ll spoiler that too.


But the real reason I had to post was this video below. I can’t breath, my sides!, etc….
(Oh, and extensive language abuse awaits. You should probably use headphones.)

Last edited Nov 17, 2013 at 05:08AM EST
Nov 17, 2013 at 05:02AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!