Forums / Discussion / General

171,348 total conversations in 5,617 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9943 posts from 165 users

as far as Applejack’s income and where the money goes, remember in Last Roundup she said that if she won the prize money she’d use it to rebuild the Town Hall? Maybe a large amount of her families earnings go back into Ponyville.

Also I was re-watching “Flight to the Finish” and I noticed Doctor Whooves in the background with Rose, a nod to the Whovians? I would say it was a coincidence but this is My Little Pony and NOTHING IS A COINCIDENCE!!

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:05PM EST
Quote

Dr Whooves wrote:

as far as Applejack’s income and where the money goes, remember in Last Roundup she said that if she won the prize money she’d use it to rebuild the Town Hall? Maybe a large amount of her families earnings go back into Ponyville.

Also I was re-watching “Flight to the Finish” and I noticed Doctor Whooves in the background with Rose, a nod to the Whovians? I would say it was a coincidence but this is My Little Pony and NOTHING IS A COINCIDENCE!!

Actually, I caught that one, too. If that was intentional, good on the animators.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:11PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

@Applejack’s Paycheck and Batman

Don’t forget her family happens to sell some one of a kind merchandise (Zap Apples) for a large profit to a wealthy business Pony, who is essentially their partner in some aspects of their business venture.

…Now… One can draw one of two conclusions when considering the paycheck in the light of possible Batman AJ.

1: Zap Apple Jam is expensive enough that the Apple Family is richer than they look, deciding to spend the money on more important things than family comfort, such as becoming Batman.

2: Mr Filthy Rich pays for all of Applejack’s fancy Batman esque tech for her, as a kind of “Thank You that I am rich and for your continued service to give me my most profitable product.”

So if AJ is Batman, Filthy Rich is Bruce Wane AND Alfred.

actually, it’s Filthy Rich that gets the massive profits from Zap Apple Jam, not the Apple Family. Its’ actually how the Rich family got started in business, and may well be the reason for most of their wealth. As for Filthy Rich being a partner- no he isn’t. he’s a regular customer, and family friend, not a partner in Sweet Apple Acres. He buys the first 100 jaras, and sells them on elsewhere for large profits.

also, it’s kind of hard to believe that Zap Apple |Jam is that expensive diretc from the Apple Family, because absolutely everyone in ponyville turns up when it goes on sale. I would guess it’s not more than £5 per jar.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:26PM EST
Quote

Yeah, I don’t see how the Applefamily could be this ultra rich family when in Super Cider Squeezy the very reason that they don’t partner with Flim and Flam is because they “Need Cider sales to keep them going through the winter.” if you have millions of dollars you’re not going to count on cider sales to keep you through winter. It’s a fun theory to think of but like most headcanons it doesn’t stand a chance in canon (although, my headcanon that Gummy’s inner voice is either Patrick Stewart or the voice of Moe from the Simpsons probably has a better chance than most headcanons since they’ll probably never explore Gummy’s inner thoughts…..But if they do they need to get Patrick Stewart.)

@Scootasinging. This is another headcanon of mine that I actually wanted to talk about a few days ago. I had a theory thinking that most of the songs don’t really ‘happen’ in the show. Except for a select few like the Cutie Mark Crusaders theme, You gotta share, Smile smile smile (or all of Pinkie’s songs due to the fact that she’s Pinkie Pie and imagining her Grand Galloping Gala song happening for realz in the show isn’t that farfetched.) and a few others. I mean let’s think about it, Scootaloo’s singing debut was so bad that even after purposely singing badly Daniel Ingram had to edit her voice in Post Production to make it sound worse, then suddenly she sings pretty well….to the point where all the Crusaders can sing pretty well now and makes Sweetie Belle’s talent look a little less impressive in the group (what’s next, are they all going to be amazing on scooters as well? Lul).

Dec 15, 2013 at 01:12PM EST
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

If I take issue with any of these things, I do it as a human being, not as a fan concerned about the fandom’s image.

I noticed and agreed with most of Fifths’ post except for that part. I will grant that I feel less connected to the brony subculture, so perhaps I just don’t care as much how bronies on the whole are perceived. The friends I’ve made through the show are now my friends with or without the show now. I haven’t made the same ties to many of the current regulars here as I have with older ones despite being active on the site and actively lurking the thread.

I love the art, and I love the show. I frequent Derpibooru for about an hour a day, and I get up every Saturday morning to catch the new episode on The Hub regardless of what I did or did not do last night (and will often watch it once or twice more that same weekend.) But I’m not really concerned about how (who I personally consider) sick people within the same subculture affect the perception of the subculture.
 
I will also say that even though I consider myself a feminist (something between second-wave and third-wave), I agree with xTSGx that Social Justice Warriors as they are so-called shouldn’t go looking for trouble (just as those who don’t agree with SJWs shouldn’t go looking for them.) I also don’t like how either side goes and mocks the other. It’s not conducive to understanding, and it only serves to make the two opponents to each other instead of two groups who have decidedly different opinions.

If feminists like me (or similar to me) want to change opinions on an issue, mocking the other side isn’t the way to go about it. And it’s not going to happen unless the person/people you’re wanting to talk to wants to talk about it as well. Tumblr and Reddit are a little too one-sided for all of that, so if you’re wanting to understand, you probably need to find a well-moderated forum where people discuss such issues and topics. Find topics about news stories where lines may or may not have been crossed, and see what users say. Find forums where moderation is active enough to keep everyone on-topic but are passive enough to let people come with strong opinions that differ from others.

Your own logic can only take you so far. Most of us don’t have a basis in Women’s/Gender Studies, Philosophy, Sociology, Political Science, or other social sciences/humanities (formally or informally). If you don’t want to have an opinion that makes it obvious that you don’t know what you’re talking about, then be sure to know what others are saying and understand that they have their own logical basis behind it. I highly doubt that most feminists are looking for a world that is unfair to men or that most of those who hate “feminists” are looking to reinforce oppression if not further it.
 
I do think that many (probably not most) people frequently making rape jokes have mindsets that aren’t conducive to respect for others or understanding people who aren’t like them. And I will say that until I know otherwise (based on other posts), I will assume they’re sexist/racist/prejudiced/etc.

The good news for them is that this just means that I wouldn’t be friends with them. And they probably don’t care to be friends with me anyway. I’m not going to bother with them outside of being cordial in our shared mediums (usually KYM or Derpibooru.)

Personally, if I come to know a person for being offensive before anything else, then that probably means one of two things:

  • That’s their brand of humor.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but being offensive isn’t being witty or being funny. It’s almost a social commentary in itself. “I disapprove of political correctness in most of its forms, and I’m active in attacking it in the most mockish way possible: humor.” Or perhaps worse, “I get my chuckles out of making other people uncomfortable.”

If you know him, then Bob is certainly offensive, but he has no ulterior feelings of the sort. I know he respects people (if they’ve earned it), and he probably has more of a basic respect for any human than he’d say. So when he makes certain jokes, I know his mindset behind it isn’t ignorant or out of hate. Just because we have different opinions doesn’t mean that he is ignorant or that I am ignorant.

  • They have a mindset that I fundamentally disagree with.

I’ve found many rape and molestation jokes funny, because they are made to be ridiculous such as Princess Molestia or comics like this.

In the Hua Tumblr comic, Hua adds the caption “Then they had…” which obviously implied that Octavia “punished” Vinyl with sex, because “And then they had sex” is an obvious Internet meme of sorts. It’s true that Twilight, Molestia’s guards, or Vinyl could all have PTSD, thoughts of suicide, partake in their own risky sexual behavior, and other outcomes related to sexual assault. But that isn’t shown nor is it implied in these.

That’s the terrible thing about rape. It’s an invasion of the most personal kind, and it has all-sorts of life-altering outcomes.

In these universes though, rape and molestation is a crime akin to wearing your roommates’ shirt without their permission. “Rape” here isn’t really rape. Rape has so many awful consequences, and the act in itself is reprehensible. It doesn’t look to be as bad as that here.

I think that’s where the “they’re just cartoons” argument is misunderstood. It’s not like rape isn’t awful. It’s not like people don’t care about the characters. Most sad fanfiction work on the basis that we already know the characters and care about them in one way or another.

But it’s a different universe where rape, for whatever reason, for lack of a better articulation, “ain’t so bad.”
 
I do think a considerable level of respect has to be given to those bothered by it such issues. Don’t invade “Safe Spaces” on Tumblr. Don’t joke about them. Just leave them alone. They don’t like the jokes, they’re offended by them, or they don’t want that atmosphere around them.

I also don’t think taboo topics should be treated so gingerly that you can’t be allowed to derive humor from them at all.
 
 
Again, basic skills of human interaction would probably help, but God knows most of us who spend a ton of time in Web Culture aren’t good with that sort of thing.


Enough ramble.

It was purely coincidental that Twilight doesn’t have her wings here. I just found all of the images to be cute.

Last edited Dec 15, 2013 at 02:00PM EST
Dec 15, 2013 at 01:52PM EST

I really liked the look of Scootaloo’s house so I did a Sketch-up drawing of it for fun/procrastination, since we only see the front of her house I just improvised what I imagined the back would look like and I didn’t really do any work on the sides of the house though if I did it would probably just be adding a window or two..

Edit: It’s a pretty big image, so I’ll just put a link to it here

Last edited Dec 15, 2013 at 03:16PM EST
Dec 15, 2013 at 03:12PM EST
Quote

Dr Whooves wrote:

I really liked the look of Scootaloo’s house so I did a Sketch-up drawing of it for fun/procrastination, since we only see the front of her house I just improvised what I imagined the back would look like and I didn’t really do any work on the sides of the house though if I did it would probably just be adding a window or two..

Edit: It’s a pretty big image, so I’ll just put a link to it here

Now that I get a good look, that’s actually a pretty small looking house compared to the others seen in ponyville. And by others I mean most.

Heck… if I remember correctly, Sweetie Belle lives in a huge house with her parents.

…Now we should remember that a larger house is desirable for a family with children or a spouse, or both…We have never seen Scootaloo’s parents though…

I personally think that Scootaloo’s house is most comfortable for a single energetic filly rather than any number of parents, though they may be able to go without problem if there’s only one parent.

…However… taking this all into account… This leaves the “Scootaloo is an Orphan” thing with a large question mark, but only if one assumes she gets by on her own.

…However… I somehow think two other possibilities need to be brought up.

1: Scootaloo’s family is Low Income, meaning she can’t really stay around the house if she wants to do anything energetic. (Aka. Scootaloo’s family is Poor as heck.)
2: Scootaloo’s family lives elsewhere, are alive, and provide for her, and let her have free reign without them being anywhere nearby to stop her. (Aka. Scootaloo may as well be an Exchange Student.)

There’s some elaboration on the second:
Scootaloo would find it hard to live in a sky city or sky house where her parents live or work, so her house is basically just for her benefit. To the point that her parents may as well be living right above her house.

This is… A surprisingly large amount of thoughts from just the fact Scootaloo lives in a tiny house.

So what do you guys think? Is she an Orphan getting by on her own? Is she an Exchange Student/Boarding Student? Or is her family just poor as hell?

I personally like the whole idea she got sent away from her family to study in pony-ville angle. In fact, it kind of implies her family is loaded for her to have a place all to herself just for her to live in while she grows up in an environment that’s less hassle for her than her parent’s place.


@Sstabler

Pretty sure that what you elaborated on about Filthy Rich is effectively semantics. It still stands that their reputation with each other may still be good enough that Applejack can convince Filthy Rich to let her borrow some expensive equipment.

…Provided she doesn’t break anything.

Their professional relationship goes back generations after all, whether partner or just good business relations, they still know each other well enough that they could have something worked out.

Dec 15, 2013 at 04:24PM EST
Quote

@Luna

Yeah, I’d noticed how small the house was when sketching it in comparison to other ones I’ve done in the past, I personally just went with the cartoon logic of ‘bigger on the inside’ which is common in other family cartoons like Courage the cowardly dog for example, but after reading your in-depth elaboration I really liked your idea where the house was made especially for Scootaloo, since she can’t live in Cloudsdale due to her disability, the idea hits me hard with the feels. It would also add depth to Scootaloo taking the whole bullying from Diamond Tiara extremely hard. So if we’re voting I’m voting for number 2. and I will consider that headcanon from now on! It’s both a sad and lovely idea. I feel there could be a really touching story in there about her parents learning of her disability and trying to adjust their lives around it so Scootaloo can still live a normal life.

Last edited Dec 15, 2013 at 05:37PM EST
Dec 15, 2013 at 05:36PM EST
Quote

Dr Whooves wrote:

@Luna

Yeah, I’d noticed how small the house was when sketching it in comparison to other ones I’ve done in the past, I personally just went with the cartoon logic of ‘bigger on the inside’ which is common in other family cartoons like Courage the cowardly dog for example, but after reading your in-depth elaboration I really liked your idea where the house was made especially for Scootaloo, since she can’t live in Cloudsdale due to her disability, the idea hits me hard with the feels. It would also add depth to Scootaloo taking the whole bullying from Diamond Tiara extremely hard. So if we’re voting I’m voting for number 2. and I will consider that headcanon from now on! It’s both a sad and lovely idea. I feel there could be a really touching story in there about her parents learning of her disability and trying to adjust their lives around it so Scootaloo can still live a normal life.

But seriously, holy shit my heart. What if the reason we’ve never seen Scoots’ parents is because they live in Cloudsdale and she can’t be with them? Oh, my aching feels.

Dec 15, 2013 at 05:40PM EST
Quote

Maybe it’s just because I come from a family of 4 that is crammed into a 3 bedroom apartment, but it seems completely plausible that Scoots and her parents would be able to live in that house together, especially since Scoots is an only child. It would be small, but I can easily picture a living room and kitchen fitting in the first floor, two small bedrooms on the second, and storage in the attic. I could also accept the headcanon that Scoots technically lives alone and her parents provide the house for her while they live up in Cloudsdale, but I feel this would never be confirmed in the show, and it also raises the question of why they gave her a house instead of something smaller like an apartment (are there apartments in Ponyville?). Either way, I never liked the idea of Scoots being an orphan, so the fact that we see she lives in a house that is too small to be an orphanage (not to mention she seems to have a room all to herself, which probably would not happen in an orphanage) helps me feel that my own personal headcanons have been strengthened.

Dec 15, 2013 at 06:04PM EST
Quote

Blue Screen said:

We’ve had this exact same discussion previously when the DWM issue cropped up.

It’s the neverending ride. Every couple of months, when the next iteration of the shitstorm dies out, another one will rise, consume the rotting husk of the previous one, and grow stronger.

But this time I’m not going to defend the rape scene involving Buttonmash and his mom because…frankly IMO….it was kinda tasteless and unfunny and I don’t think that literal depictions of rape like it are worth fighting to protect.

And I will defend it, regardless as to how “evil” or “horrible” it may be, because it’s being used for humor (specifically the audacity and juxtopostion of the scene), and humor is something that’s subjective. Some people may find it unfunny and tasteless, but others will not. Just because some people don’t like something, doesn’t mean that something should be banished or censored.

Lunar Protege said:

As such, realistically if the writers were to throw in an internal monologue,

That reminds me, when was the last time we had a character thinking “out loud” like Dash did? Lesson Zero comes to mind, but I can’t think of any later instances.

Don’t forget her family happens to sell some one of a kind merchandise (Zap Apples) for a large profit to a wealthy business Pony, who is essentially their partner in some aspects of their business venture.

And yet, Sweet Apple Acres is constantly on the verge of bankruptcy. Either the headcanon that Big Mac’s good at that fancy math’s wrong, or there’s some shady underdealings going on.

sstabeler said:

actually, it’s Filthy Rich that gets the massive profits from Zap Apple Jam, not the Apple Family.

That depends. Sweet Apple Acres essentially holds a monopoly on Zap Apple Jam. As the only supplier of the good, they can charge Filthy Rich whatever price they want (assuming there isn’t some anti-trust laws in place). Filthy would probably pay that price, as demand for the product is so high, consumers would most likely pay a raised price for the good.

It also depends on the contract. Sweet Apple Acres could, instead of charging a fixed price for the Jam, instead charge Filthy a percentage of total profits (i.e. Sweet Apple Acres takes 20% of the money Filthy makes of off the Jam instead of a fixed price).

Kewln00baloo said:

…if you have millions of dollars you’re not going to count on cider sales to keep you through winter.

New headcanon incoming: The Apple Family are millionaires, however, all of their money is tied up in long-term index funds and treasury bonds and so they have very little liquid assets that can be easily converted into cash, requiring them to get by month to month on the farm’s revenue.

Last edited Dec 15, 2013 at 07:01PM EST
Dec 15, 2013 at 06:58PM EST
Quote

I doubt it- Occam’s razor tells us that the simpklest explanation is the correct one, and Applejack appears to be in charge of selling the produce. Applejack is almost certianly bad at maths ( the reference to fancy mathmatics) so it would not surprise me if she prices the apples at less than she could. It would explain why Sweet Apple Acres apples are so popular, and yet the farm is constantly on the edge of bankruptcy.

Dec 15, 2013 at 07:09PM EST
Quote

sstabeler wrote:

I doubt it- Occam’s razor tells us that the simpklest explanation is the correct one, and Applejack appears to be in charge of selling the produce. Applejack is almost certianly bad at maths ( the reference to fancy mathmatics) so it would not surprise me if she prices the apples at less than she could. It would explain why Sweet Apple Acres apples are so popular, and yet the farm is constantly on the edge of bankruptcy.

Actually, Occam’s razor only says that the simplest possibility is only the most likely to be correct. It could very well be that there is a complicated-as-fuck explanation behind all of this that’s based around a bunch of stuff that we haven’t been told yet. It’s less likely to be that way, but not impossible.

Dec 15, 2013 at 08:55PM EST
Quote

Knowing honest Applejack, she probably can’t bring herself to charge more for the product than is absolutely necessary to allow Sweet Apple Acres to survive. Of course, this could be somewhat stretching what the meaning of the term “honest” is, but something tells me AJ and the rest of the Apple family couldn’t charge more than they need to without feeling like they were scamming their customers. The Apple family is just “too nice” in that regard. That’s my headcanon, at least.

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:05PM EST
Quote

Yay, topics!


@Applejack’s business
Yeah, I don’t think the Apples are loaded by any stretch of the imagination.
If for no other reason, I think AJ’s original reasons behind wanting that ticket to the GGG way back in episode 3 of season 1 proves it.
Things like a new barn or plow are mostly optional, but she talked about needing money for Granny’s hip.
If she had money, even if that money was difficult to directly access, you know damn well that Applejack would have done absolutely anything to alleviate the suffering of her family.
The fact that major medical procedures fall into the category of ‘If we can make more sales’ kind of indicates that they are living on relatively tight funds.

And while they might have a monopoly on Zap Apples and their various sub-products, I think it is pretty clear that the Apples are under-pricing their goods.
Basic economics tells us that a seller should be aiming to sell at a price that attracts exactly enough customers to sell out of their stock, thus they don’t have leftovers that no one wants to buy and they don’t leave a bunch of money out there uncollected because more people want the product than there is product to sell.
Since the Apple family had exactly that second scenario during cider season, and this apparently happens every year according to RD, I think it is pretty clear that the Apples are pricing themselves well below ‘market level.’
What this means is that they could actually increase profits, possibly by a substantial margin considering the massive crowd left without cider each day, if they increased their prices significantly.

For that reason, I fall in line with Crimson: The Apples are just ‘too nice’ for their own good, at least in terms of pure profit.


@Scootaloo’s Home
First off, yay!
She has a canon residence!
Take that, homeless headcanons!

Second, yeah, it does look a little small from the outside while Scoot’s room itself seems pretty sizable, but I think the idea that she has a house to herself is a bit of a stretch.
I mean, even if a pegasus family had a kid who couldn’t fly, forcing them to buy a home on the ground, why in the world would they send only their daughter to live in it?
Parents, especially not the kind of parents you would ever expect to see in Equestria, wouldn’t consider their jobs more important than their child.
Much more likely, the parents would make the decision to give up whatever jobs they held in Cloudsdale and move the entire family to the new town in order to accommodate her.
The other way around just feels… cruel, or at least uncaring.

Due to the size of the house, I will say that I like the idea of a single parent which may also partially explain Scoot’s hero worship of Dash, too.
Maybe if Scoot has only her dad, she’s a little desperate for validation from a strong female role model so, as small kids are wont to do, she latched on to the coolest pony in town more strongly than others might have.

The financial position of Scootaloo and her family, however, is debatable.

Ignoring the circle drawn by someone who was apparently surprised that Scootaloo had a Rainbow Dash poster in her room, look over on the dresser.
That chest looks like it has a pretty nice pile of bits in it.
Scale is tough to read, but I’d say that it looks to be roughly half the size of the bit box the Apples used for cider season (It’s all connected!) and a few days of full boxes there was enough to get an entire farm through the winter months.
Scootaloo’s stash is probably a nice chunk of change.
I’m sure she’ll put it to good use…


Can we talk about butterflies for a second?


Butterflies are assholes.

(That second one was freaking sad…)


No, Hub.

Bad Hub.
Stop being weird.


Speaking of the above: So many awesome faces in this episode!









Oh god…

Seriously, do we know who storyboarded this scene?
It’s a goldmine of expressions!

“This is highly unprofessional, Miss Dash…”

Last edited Dec 16, 2013 at 01:15AM EST
Dec 16, 2013 at 01:02AM EST
Quote

@xTSGx

Just because people think something is funny doesn’t make it completely immune to criticism or reproach. Case and point:

I’m happy we’ve got people to boo and hiss about things like Button Mash and Molestia. It helps to keep us from just laughing and learning to accept rape jokes as run of the mill.

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:27AM EST
Quote

@Scootaparents moving to Ponyville because disabilities

I have a problem with that scenario. It’s pretty clear that Pegasus ponies normally have a period in early childhood when they can’t fly. For example, Diamond Tiara says in this episode that it was strange for a pegasus of her age to be flightless. So if Cloudsdale is going to function as a city, then then need to be able to accommodate all of the fightless babies running around. Also, it’s pretty clear that there is some kind of passive magic going on that lets them interact with clouds – I’m pretty sure that Scootaloo would still have that, so she should still be able to walk around the city.

Finally, there are lots of other Pegasus ponies who are perfectly capable of flying and who still live in Ponyville – Rainbow Dash, for example. There must be several totally innocuous reasons why a family of Pegasus ponies would choose to live there.

TL;DR – I don’t think that Scootaloo’s flying issue is necessarily the reason why she lives in Ponyville.

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:29AM EST
Quote

Platus wrote:

@Scootaparents moving to Ponyville because disabilities

I have a problem with that scenario. It’s pretty clear that Pegasus ponies normally have a period in early childhood when they can’t fly. For example, Diamond Tiara says in this episode that it was strange for a pegasus of her age to be flightless. So if Cloudsdale is going to function as a city, then then need to be able to accommodate all of the fightless babies running around. Also, it’s pretty clear that there is some kind of passive magic going on that lets them interact with clouds – I’m pretty sure that Scootaloo would still have that, so she should still be able to walk around the city.

Finally, there are lots of other Pegasus ponies who are perfectly capable of flying and who still live in Ponyville – Rainbow Dash, for example. There must be several totally innocuous reasons why a family of Pegasus ponies would choose to live there.

TL;DR – I don’t think that Scootaloo’s flying issue is necessarily the reason why she lives in Ponyville.

Isn’t there a scene in Sleepless in Ponyville where Scoots gets scared and clings onto a cloud? So yeah, that part of the headcanon is debunked.

Dec 16, 2013 at 04:29AM EST
Quote

Deadparrot222 said:

First off, yay!
She has a canon residence!
Take that, homeless headcanons!

inb4 homeless headcanons are replaced with squatter headcanons

Fifths said:

I’m happy we’ve got people to boo and hiss about things like Button Mash and Molestia. It helps to keep us from just laughing and learning to accept rape jokes as run of the mill.

I’m glad too. It helps remind me how ridiculous and idiotic Tumblr is. And why shouldn’t rape jokes be accepted? The only answer that’s given is that it “promotes” rape culture and “lessens the impact and seriousness of rape.” Two issues that are incorrect. As I mentioned previously, rape is still considered by media and everyone who isn’t evil or a troll as an incredibly reprehensible thing. Rape will always be very serious and making jokes about it won’t lessen that severity. Jokes have been made about everything--from the Titanic, to war, to famine--and yet, none of those things have lost their severity or seriousness. Why would rape be any different?

Dec 16, 2013 at 05:56AM EST
Quote

In the entire episode… not once is Sweetie Belle’s inability to use magic referenced.

She needs some words of encouragement too!

Dec 16, 2013 at 06:28AM EST
Quote

DeadParrot:

why in the world would they send only their daughter to live in it?
Parents, especially not the kind of parents you would ever expect to see in Equestria, wouldn’t consider their jobs more important than their child.
Much more likely, the parents would make the decision to give up whatever jobs they held in Cloudsdale and move the entire family to the new town in order to accommodate her.
The other way around just feels… cruel, or at least uncaring.

I disagree, I’ve known many real life cases where a child has had to be sent away somewhere from the parents for reasons spanning from that child’s disability (and the child not being able to get the best care in their current location) or merely because they just can’t look after the child and earn money for the child at the same time, it would be uncaring if it was just for the sake of it, but usually in real life situations you can’t just drop everything and go live with that child, and just because she lives on her own doesn’t mean she isn’t checked up on regularly, in a personal case I know relating to a close family member, they had this little room of their own to live in, well it was kind of a shed but I don’t like to say shed because it wasn’t small or anything.. it was just like a room for the house that was detached.. I don’t know I’m not describing it well – anyway – and it was right next door to his uncles and aunts house so they checked up on them regularly. – I think the misunderstanding here is I feel you think that if she lived in her own home, then she wouldn’t have anyone looking after her or checking up on her, which isn’t the case, in the same case as someone I know, her ponyville guardians could be living next door.

Or it could be like Leela’s parents in Futurama..

Platus:

Diamond Tiara says in this episode that it was strange for a pegasus of her age to be flightless. So if Cloudsdale is going to function as a city, then then need to be able to accommodate all of the fightless babies running around.

We know that ponies need to be a pegasus to walk on the clouds but not inside the houses, usually most children are carried until they are old enough to walk, and from the episode Baby Cakes, we see that they usually learn to fly at a very young age anyway:

Platus:

it’s pretty clear that there is some kind of passive magic going on that lets them interact with clouds – I’m pretty sure that Scootaloo would still have that, so she should still be able to walk around the city.

I wouldn’t say it’s pretty clear at all to be honest, since we know so little about Cloudsdale or how it works, all we know is that only Pegasus ponies can go there without needing to cast a spell first, I would naturally assume it would be a physical reason relating to flying, otherwise it asks the question why have pegasus ponies gone out their way to exclude anyone who isn’t a pegasus? I’d rather believe it’s to do with something they can’t control rather then they actively exclude other types of ponies, though you’re right both are possible.

Platus:

Finally, there are lots of other Pegasus ponies who are perfectly capable of flying and who still live in Ponyville – Rainbow Dash, for example. There must be several totally innocuous reasons why a family of Pegasus ponies would choose to live there.

She does? I thought she lived in a pimped out house in cloudsdale like the one we saw at the end of Daring Don’t and other episodes? Though I’m sure there are pegasus who do live on the ground, Fluttershy is a good example, and I’m not stating there is a rule that pegasus can’t live anywhere but cloudsdale, however it has been said before that cloudsdale is where majority of pegasus live so it’s not a giant stretch to think that her parents live there.

^
Though you bring a very valid point to hand, Rainbow Dash has best house. Seriously, her job must pay well, she’s living in a pimped out crib while the Apples are struggling to get though the winter!

Crimson Locks:

Isn’t there a scene in Sleepless in Ponyville where Scoots gets scared and clings onto a cloud? So yeah, that part of the headcanon is debunked.

There is? Where about is it? I just looked over the episode and I couldn’t find it, though there was a scene where Rainbow Dash is holding her up as they fly though what looks like cloudsdale. I’m not saying the scene your talking about isn’t there, but I couldn’t find it, also if the part your talking about were in a dream sequence then it doesn’t count because you know.. dreams and stuff..

3D House:
Also it’s important to note that since we only saw the front face of her house, my model isn’t the exact proportions of her house because we don’t know how long it is or how many rooms it has so it’s important to keep that in mind, though I will say that I based the proportions on the current format of background houses in the show as far as the perimeter go, so although I feel it is roughly accurate, unless we see more of her house in the future, this can’t be confirmed so take that picture with a grain of salt.

Last edited Dec 16, 2013 at 07:54AM EST
Dec 16, 2013 at 07:34AM EST
Quote

Dr. Whooves wrote:

There is? Where about is it? I just looked over the episode and I couldn’t find it, though there was a scene where Rainbow Dash is holding her up as they fly though what looks like cloudsdale. I’m not saying the scene your talking about isn’t there, but I couldn’t find it, also if the part your talking about were in a dream sequence then it doesn’t count because you know.. dreams and stuff..

Got ya covered, guy. Start at 10:17 in this video

This is during one of the day scenes with the rest of the group around, so definitely not a dream sequence. Instead of falling right through the cloud like we assume a normal pony would, we see Scoots cling on there for a solid few seconds before that part of the cloud “breaks off” as if she were clinging to a fragile branch on a tree. I don’t know why I remember this moment so well, maybe I just thought that gag was really funny. Either way it’s enough for me to solidify my headcanon that Scoots can stand on clouds even though she can’t fly.

Last edited Dec 16, 2013 at 08:54AM EST
Dec 16, 2013 at 08:52AM EST
Quote

@crimson

ah yes! you are correct! I was looking more towards the end of the episode since I thought you were talking about the tree branch part, though I’m not sure if she was able to grab the cloud because she was a pegasus or because it’s a cartoon.. in the same way I’m not sure if her house is bigger on the inside because she lives alone.. or because it’s cartoon and physics don’t apply (as Edd Ed and Eddy have taught us)

Though I suppose the fact that Ponyville switches every episode to match the needs of the episode is probably a big message from the production team of “Don’t take the physics of this universe too seriously”, I mean ponyville has a layout of big town hall in the middle, tents on the bottom left and a few buildings that don’t change on the top right, but many of the houses in the town move during the episodes and sometimes all together just change like the staircase from Harry Potter, I started keeping a good eye on the houses for a project though now Its just something I can’t help but notice when they change.. it can be distracting.

Though I’d just recently measured the size of scootaloo when coming out of her house and when coming out of the CMC clubhouse and her house is only slightly bigger then the CMC clubhouse, so yeah, it’s pretty small compared to other houses in the area – and if any pony is secretly rich, going back to the Batmare topic, it’s Rainbow Dash.

Last edited Dec 16, 2013 at 09:15AM EST
Dec 16, 2013 at 09:13AM EST
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

Deadparrot222 said:

First off, yay!
She has a canon residence!
Take that, homeless headcanons!

inb4 homeless headcanons are replaced with squatter headcanons

Fifths said:

I’m happy we’ve got people to boo and hiss about things like Button Mash and Molestia. It helps to keep us from just laughing and learning to accept rape jokes as run of the mill.

I’m glad too. It helps remind me how ridiculous and idiotic Tumblr is. And why shouldn’t rape jokes be accepted? The only answer that’s given is that it “promotes” rape culture and “lessens the impact and seriousness of rape.” Two issues that are incorrect. As I mentioned previously, rape is still considered by media and everyone who isn’t evil or a troll as an incredibly reprehensible thing. Rape will always be very serious and making jokes about it won’t lessen that severity. Jokes have been made about everything--from the Titanic, to war, to famine--and yet, none of those things have lost their severity or seriousness. Why would rape be any different?

Except that’s EXACTLY what humor does. This is why we have two common parlances in English concerning humor “To make light of something,” and “To make fun of something.” Jokes can have a serious power to alter the way we perceive things and they can have serious power, in and of themselves, to hurt others. It is not just mindless amusement, and any rhetorician worth a good God damn will tell you just what a powerful tool there is in being able to crack off a good joke.

Now does this mean we should start banning certain kinds of jokes? Of course not, but we should at least be aware of the power this kind of thing has. Are rape jokes going to create a rape culture where we’re all just raping each other 24/7? No, but they are going to have some influence I think.

I like what BSoD said: We don’t necessarily have to be against these jokes, but we really ought to think twice before just mindlessly defending them.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:13PM EST
Quote

Laud Piestrings wrote:

In the entire episode… not once is Sweetie Belle’s inability to use magic referenced.

She needs some words of encouragement too!

Except you’re forgetting that she used magic in the season opening:

True, it wasn’t intentional, because there was something wrong with her horn due to the entire situation with the elements going on. But her reaction towards it was more a case of “Something’s wrong with my magic”, instead of “Holy fuck, I can suddenly use magic”.

I’ll leave the conclusion up to you.

Dec 16, 2013 at 07:43PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Except you’re forgetting that she used magic in the season opening:

True, it wasn’t intentional, because there was something wrong with her horn due to the entire situation with the elements going on. But her reaction towards it was more a case of “Something’s wrong with my magic”, instead of “Holy fuck, I can suddenly use magic”.

I’ll leave the conclusion up to you.

Probably just a derp on the writers’ part. Which reminds me of another derp…

How the fuck is Scootaloo flying?

Last edited Dec 16, 2013 at 07:47PM EST
Dec 16, 2013 at 07:47PM EST
Quote

Laud Piestrings wrote:

In the entire episode… not once is Sweetie Belle’s inability to use magic referenced.

She needs some words of encouragement too!

To be fair, it doesn’t look like ANY Unicorn Sweetie’s age can use magic. I mean, Twilight was Sweetie Belle’s age (or close to it) when she started learning about how to use magic where as Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were already flying. So I’m thinking it’s normal for Pegasi to be learning how to fly long before a Unicorn would learn to use magic considering they just have to learn to get themselves airbourne while a Unicorn would have to unlock the magical potential inside of them which would determine if they’d be ‘magical’ like Rarity or ‘Magical’ like Twilight Sparkle. Although I’m ready for a “Sweetie Belle learns how to magic” episode.

On another note, I was listening to Hearts as Strong as Horses earlier today and listened to the lyrics where they mention how they’re the toughest little ponies around and how they work hard. I had to snicker for a second until I realized…..they’re absolutely right. Let’s think about it, what other pony do you see running around doing EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING they can to achieve something? They’re always doing Something, some things may be something like Zip-lining or working hard to build a fucking parade float overnight….okay that was for revenge but still.

Just think of how this will pay off for these three ponies when they get older…..Cutie Mark Crusaders Confirmed for Future Godtier ponies.

@Jimmy and his “Goof”.
Nope, that’s hovering like Scootaloo always does when she tries to fly since season 2. As you can see she’s flapping pretty hard in that scene whereas someone like Rainbow Dash or any other Pegasus wouldn’t have to exert all that energy just to float for a few seconds.

Dear god, if you told me I’d be putting so much thought into My Little Pony 3 years ago I’d probably deck you.

Last edited Dec 16, 2013 at 07:56PM EST
Dec 16, 2013 at 07:53PM EST
Quote

@Sweetie Belle’s magic
I thought her magic was green?

I always just explained away that bit in S4 E1 by just thinking that it was Rarity who was levitating Sweetie Belle. I mean, I know that it’s a pretty damn big coincidence seeing as she’s being levitated by her horn, but it’s not impossible. The magic is blue, plus that curtain started flying before Rarity’s horn started to glow again (and it was shown to be Rarity in the next shot), so… okay, shut up. I’m not good at this headcanon stuff, I just want to look at poni.

^Poni

Last edited Dec 16, 2013 at 10:21PM EST
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:19PM EST
Quote

@Stunt: Another theory that could potentially answer that question is that whatever was making the horns act weird was some sort of outside magic that had its own aura, and it was only using Rarity and Sweetie’s horns as a way to channel its own magic. Whatever, that one is a stretch, but I don’t really care.

We’ve been discussing a lot of headcanon this week, haven’t we?

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:38PM EST
Quote

Fifths wrote:

Except that’s EXACTLY what humor does. This is why we have two common parlances in English concerning humor “To make light of something,” and “To make fun of something.” Jokes can have a serious power to alter the way we perceive things and they can have serious power, in and of themselves, to hurt others. It is not just mindless amusement, and any rhetorician worth a good God damn will tell you just what a powerful tool there is in being able to crack off a good joke.

Now does this mean we should start banning certain kinds of jokes? Of course not, but we should at least be aware of the power this kind of thing has. Are rape jokes going to create a rape culture where we’re all just raping each other 24/7? No, but they are going to have some influence I think.

I like what BSoD said: We don’t necessarily have to be against these jokes, but we really ought to think twice before just mindlessly defending them.

Bang. That just about hits the issue on the head. While I won’t deny that a lot of people overreact to rape jokes, it doesn’t change the fact that consistently joking about it makes it into more of a nonissue. Just like repeated use of strong language dulls the impact it is supposed to have, joking about a serious issue like rape trivializes the major problem that it is. The point of the “rape culture” argument is supposed to be that trivializing a traumatic event like rape is not cool, and leads to people saying it’s the victim’s fault for not dressing modestly etc. and I completely agree (you may bring up that the louder argument is that rape culture means people are more likely to rape others and be excused for it. The thing is, that’s the argument of the most radical feminists, and the most radical are often the loudest.). The point of the people arguing against events like this is to remind us that rape is a serious issue, and shouldn’t just be a punchline.

Also, xTSGx, please don’t say that all of Tumblr is raging radfem idiots. Tumblr is one of my most frequented sites, and most people on there are rather nice, have excellent views on equality, and actually have a point about it all. If you stereotype all of Tumblr as angry feminists foaming at the mouth and yelling “die cis scum” you’re doing the exact same thing that they do when they stereotype bronies as pedophilic 20-something neckbeard losers who live in their parents’ basement and clop and browse /r/atheism all day.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:39PM EST
Quote

@Kewln00baloo

I like your theory about unicorn magic and it makes sense, though what about the episode “Baby Cakes” where the baby unicorn starts using a range of magical abilities? Also in “The cutie Mark Chronicles” we see Rarity at Sweetie belles age using magic, maybe there just hasn’t be a situation where Sweetie Belle has needed to use magic on-screen or maybe it’s just one more thing to add to the bag of “It’s a cartoon so canon on small stuff is wibbly-wobbly”, personally like the Scootaloo house thing – I’m content with a detailed answer or a “It’s a cartoon” answer, whatever floats your boat really, never the less I do find it fun to speculate!

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:04AM EST
Quote

Dr Whooves wrote:

@Kewln00baloo

I like your theory about unicorn magic and it makes sense, though what about the episode “Baby Cakes” where the baby unicorn starts using a range of magical abilities? Also in “The cutie Mark Chronicles” we see Rarity at Sweetie belles age using magic, maybe there just hasn’t be a situation where Sweetie Belle has needed to use magic on-screen or maybe it’s just one more thing to add to the bag of “It’s a cartoon so canon on small stuff is wibbly-wobbly”, personally like the Scootaloo house thing – I’m content with a detailed answer or a “It’s a cartoon” answer, whatever floats your boat really, never the less I do find it fun to speculate!

I think they explained in the episode that baby pagasi and unicorns don’t exactly have control of their powers yet, or at least they will have random spurts of power that they won’t necessarily have when they grow older. We at one point see Pumpkin Cake phase right through her crib, which is something I don’t think we’ve even seen Twilight do yet. If I’m not mistaken, it was Rarity that warned the cakes about baby unicorns having spurts of power which would imply that Sweetie did those same things when she was a baby. Keep in mind, I’ve only seen Baby Cakes once, so I could be completely wrong about this

Dec 17, 2013 at 08:54AM EST
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

I think they explained in the episode that baby pagasi and unicorns don’t exactly have control of their powers yet, or at least they will have random spurts of power that they won’t necessarily have when they grow older. We at one point see Pumpkin Cake phase right through her crib, which is something I don’t think we’ve even seen Twilight do yet. If I’m not mistaken, it was Rarity that warned the cakes about baby unicorns having spurts of power which would imply that Sweetie did those same things when she was a baby. Keep in mind, I’ve only seen Baby Cakes once, so I could be completely wrong about this

I guess it’s sorta like puberty for ponies. The random bursts of magic in unicorns and the small spurts of flight in pegasi could be like random erections in males. And don’t worry, I’m just saying this in biological terms, not what you think. Actually, the thought of an unwanted wingboner like that… hehehe.


I also got new poniswag!

I’ll put a picture up when I replace my phone’s screen.

Dec 17, 2013 at 03:58PM EST
Quote

Not once have I seen such screams for help in a man’s eyes.

Dec 17, 2013 at 04:09PM EST
Quote

@randoman

Dec 17, 2013 at 04:24PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Not once have I seen such screams for help in a man’s eyes.

So what’s the story here? Media turning us into basement-dwelling losers again? yawns Boring.

Dec 17, 2013 at 04:55PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Not once have I seen such screams for help in a man’s eyes.

He kind of looks like Heisenberg..

Dec 17, 2013 at 05:28PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Not once have I seen such screams for help in a man’s eyes.

Shit, that’s a Canadian news station – they’re based in Toronto.

It almost makes me wish I owned a TV and/or payed attention to broadcast news.

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:31PM EST
Quote

Jimmy Lethal wrote:

So what’s the story here? Media turning us into basement-dwelling losers again? yawns Boring.

Wait…..so you’re trying to say we AREN’T basement-dwelling losers? Shit I need to fix my schtick.

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:46PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Not once have I seen such screams for help in a man’s eyes.

No, seriously, I wanna know what the story on this was.

Applejack seems to be sharing a lot of episodes with the rest of the mane 6 this season. I kinda didn’t realize how much I wanted an episode with AJ and Fluttershy together until now. The synopsis sort of reminds me of that scene in Winter Wrap Up when AJ wanted Dash to melt all the snow so she could plant while Flutters wanted Dash to wait so that she could wake all the critters first and they just went back and forth.

Also notable, this episode is written by the infamous Merriwether Williams. I do not have any personal gripes against this writer or any of the other writers for this show (although she did write my least favorite episode, Spike at your Service), but I am well aware of the fandom’s hatred of her so I am very curious of how this episode will turn out.

Last edited Dec 17, 2013 at 07:07PM EST
Dec 17, 2013 at 07:06PM EST
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

No, seriously, I wanna know what the story on this was.

Applejack seems to be sharing a lot of episodes with the rest of the mane 6 this season. I kinda didn’t realize how much I wanted an episode with AJ and Fluttershy together until now. The synopsis sort of reminds me of that scene in Winter Wrap Up when AJ wanted Dash to melt all the snow so she could plant while Flutters wanted Dash to wait so that she could wake all the critters first and they just went back and forth.

Also notable, this episode is written by the infamous Merriwether Williams. I do not have any personal gripes against this writer or any of the other writers for this show (although she did write my least favorite episode, Spike at your Service), but I am well aware of the fandom’s hatred of her so I am very curious of how this episode will turn out.

Cool, Merriwether Williams. This could be pretty good like the Second half of Spike At your Service and Wonderbolts Academy. Or it could be bad like the first half of Spike at your Service and Mysterious Mare Do Well. Please Merriwether, you were able to get the characters just right (well….minus Spike). Please deliver and prove me wrong, you wrote my favorite episode of Spongebob for Fuck sakes!

Dec 17, 2013 at 07:24PM EST
Quote

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

Wait…..so you’re trying to say we AREN’T basement-dwelling losers? Shit I need to fix my schtick.

Oh, yeah? This week, I’ve already pulled a Nollie 360 Hardflip on my skateboard, and I’ve practiced singing a few Tool songs! What are you doing?


@Bats!: >Merriwether Williams

Dec 17, 2013 at 07:43PM EST
Quote

Oh, yeah? This week, I’ve already pulled a Nollie 360 Hardflip on my skateboard, and I’ve practiced singing a few Tool songs! What are you doing?

Watched TV and movies, played video games, listened to music, pony marathons who can forget the Pony marathons, sat on my ass all day and fucking dealing with goddamn physical therapy after being hit by a truck almost two months ago! So I bid you adieu sir puts on fedora and rolls on my fat rolls out of the room with the smell of Doritos’s filling the air.

Last edited Dec 17, 2013 at 09:28PM EST
Dec 17, 2013 at 09:26PM EST
Quote
Oh, yeah? This week, I’ve already pulled a Nollie 360 Hardflip on my skateboard, and I’ve practiced singing a few Tool songs! What are you doing?

Hopelessly browsing the internet to distract myself after surely failing 1 out of only 2 finals this semester probably earning me a F in the class (unless he curves, maybe I could get a D!). You win.

Also, does anyone know what happened to sweetie killer? I just noticed his account was deactivated.

(Also, also: There appears to be no official 404 pony. How has 404 not been ponyfied yet???)

And lastly have this:

Last edited Dec 18, 2013 at 03:58AM EST
Dec 18, 2013 at 03:36AM EST
Quote

@Cute Master

Also, does anyone know what happened to sweetie killer?

Check your PM.

If anyone else was wondering, PM me also

Dec 18, 2013 at 04:51AM EST
Quote

@Merriweather hate

I’ve never understood this. Just as I’ve never understood the hate toward Mare Do Well. The fact is, every writer’s not going to be perfect. They’ll have their good episodes, and they’ll have their bad. People like to complain about Mare Do Well and Spike At Your Service (personally, I find Dragon Quest to be her most disappointing) but they all seem to forget about Hearth’s Warming Eve and Wonderbolt Academy.

The Cute Master :3 said:

Hopelessly browsing the internet to distract myself after surely failing 1 out of only 2 finals this semester probably earning me a F in the class (unless he curves, maybe I could get a D!).

shudders
I’m very much like Twilight when it comes to college. I missed an online quiz in Econ which hit my grade down to a 93% (a horrifying A-) and, had I had a horn and the ability to mind control people, /pol/ would have been having a Habbening thread on the Ypsilanti Incident.

@Blue Screen
The mods really should organize a newsletter or something to send out so we can all be made aware of the latest drama and/or shitstorm that’s sweeping the site. I always seem to miss dramas and shitstorms. The same thing happens on Fimfiction. A big Conversion Bureau kerfuffle happens and I don’t find out about it until six weeks after everything gets sorted out… from another website, no less. And don’t even get me started on the “I’m leaving the fandom and deleting all my stories because x said I sucked.” microdramas that kick up.

Last edited Dec 18, 2013 at 08:11AM EST
Dec 18, 2013 at 08:05AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!