Forums / Discussion / General

172,857 total conversations in 5,671 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9943 posts from 165 users

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Vinyltavia + VIIStar Sculpting = Win!


@Best Ship
Based entirely on this gif, RariDash is new best ship!

Yep, ded.


@Coco/Maud
“It’s not fair… Just because you’re the new pony in town, everyone is paying attention to you. Hardly anyone cares about me anymore…”

“I don’t really like having everyone obsess over me. It is tiring.”

“… I have an idea!”

Waifu Swap!

Based ENTIRELY on that gif? After we’ve had diabeetus fueled gifs made by that same person like THIS

Or D’AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW inducing a-fucking-dorable that could make a man like Arnold Schwarzenegger cry like a little girl upvotes galore (Based on the fact that anyone who posted this gif or one of the many Photoshopped variants got at least 7+ upvotes) gifs like THIS?!

Deadparrot I’m disappoint.

Last edited Mar 20, 2014 at 01:47PM EDT

@shipping

Nothing more needs to be said.

@Thread Title Election
The first round of the 2014 Pony Thread Title Straw Poll is now over. With 100% of polling locations reporting in, the top ten eleven vote getters are:

1. One Pony Away From A Cease and Desist (8% [9 votes])

2 (tie). Lyra in the Sky with Diamonds (5% [6 votes])
The Circlejerk of Life (5% [6 votes])

3 (tie). What ISN’T Our Fetish? (4% [5 votes])
Upgrade From the Comment Section (4% [5 votes])
Beating A Dead Pony (4% [5 votes])
I Accidently The Whole Thread (4% [5 votes])
Don’t Worry, We’ll Be Here Another Five Years (4% [5 votes])

4 (tie). Weird Magic (4% [4 votes])
The Ride Never Ends (4% [4 votes])
Pony General V + Pony General III (4% [4 votes])

Final results not yet certified by Board of Canvassers Chairman Blue Screen.

Since there was a tie, I let in an eleventh vote getter. The first round of totally non-binding run-offs will begin on page 176.

Last edited Mar 20, 2014 at 07:03PM EDT

Jimmy said on the last page:

>Implying the entire fanbase ships Octascratch

Nah, just that that’s a very common fanon for them.

@Raridash: Aside from those gifs being adorable, my main thought is that if we talk partial Rule 63, I would totally “ship” Dash and Elusive. Main reason being as petty as it sounds to give the middle finger to gay-related stereotypes, this pairing would have a heavy-duty tomboy who many assume to be a lesbian and a guy who totally fits the camp-gay mold… And they’re in a straight relationship with each other!
Of course, bisexuality would “make it happen” too, but that would play back into the stereotypes again.

@TSG and Twiluna: You monster, how could you do that to Twilight?! D:
Though now that I think about it, doesn’t Twilight get some weird ships? I mean, everyone does but Twi has some odd-balls that are quite popular, like pairing her with Shining Armor or Trixie…

@Shipping

Personally Princesst is a thing I delve into sometimes… Or rater it would be if Celestia was characterized a bit more… Actively than she has been.

So in the end, I’m stuck here waiting to see Celestia sing that one ear worm from Frozen and go freaking crazy about how restrained she’s had to be around the populace for so long.

…And at that point Luna, who’s long been neglected by the in universe population realizes her own freak out over being unloved is nothing compared to how bad Celestia feels about her own facade and popularity that comes with it, and that Luna’s own freak out only made Celestia feel worse.

…And then… The feels!

But seriously, the moment we see an episode about Celestia, the result will be a flood of Princesst just from the fact we’d suddenly have a canon flaw of Celestia rather than one we have to read into to find.

… Which makes me wonder if I just made canon Celestia out to be a Mary Sue-

-Oh wait, she is, never mind.

burning_phoneix wrote:

I actually like canon Hetero pairings like Big Mac and Cherilee..
.
.
.
.
.

What?
..
.
.
.

.
.

O…Ok…

If it makes you feel better, I’m perfectly cool with the canon hetero ships.

In fact I’m cool with pretty much any ship

I just like pone shipping in general. This pone with that pone, that pone with this pone. Mix & match and match up mixes! Anything goes in the world of shipping!

I’m not sure why I like shipping so much, I just think it’s so cute and adorable when critters that are already cute and adorable get together and snuggle. The adorableness just doubles.

How much sense it makes, matters not.


Hmmm tough one.

I like all three so I don’t want to kill any of them. I especially cannot bring myself to kill cute little coco. Mauds too innocent as well. Cheese cant really be killed though. He’d just reappear from the 4th wall or something

When it comes to fucking, I can skip Maud. She’s probably not into anything fun. She strikes me as uninterested and would just starfish the whole thing. Coco would be pleasant about it but Cheese is likely where it’s at. Cheese would be absolutely amazing in bed. That said, if I fucked Cheese, that means someone has to die.

Marrying? Maud hands down. Perfect wife

So, marry Maud. Fuck Coco and kill Cheese (He’ll be back, don’t worry)


@shipping

Don’t forget one of the most popular fandom crack-ships. Chrissypuff!

Last edited Mar 20, 2014 at 10:55PM EDT

Is it bad that I think AppleDash is my OTP? I mean whenever I see them in the show it always makes the most sense to me that they’d be lesbians for each other….or at least VERY good friends. I don’t know, I can’t get into shipping but sometimes the show makes it a little hard for me to go “No, Rainbow Dash and Applejack are just very competitive best friends forever there’s literally no evidence to make it seem like they’re-Ooooh they’re definitely >implying something there. APPLEDASH FTW!”

Although I really love Hearts and Hooves day because it seems like they made that episode to stop us from shipping, though it didn’t help at all.

@Lunar: Didn’t you say you hated incest in a previous discussion? I think it came up in the polygamy versus monogamy argument we had a while back.

@Blue Screen: Fair point on that Fuck/Marry/Kill, however I have a couple questions:
1) If Maud’s going to be horribly unresponsive in bed, isn’t that at least a small point against marrying her?
2) ….Did you indirectly call Weird Al a really good lay? I mean, yeah his pony version might be different enough but can’t help but think of that…


Not usually a shipper, but seeing as it looks like the hot topic right now, I can at least make a few increasingly snarky comments at you guys.


@Jimmy

Eh, to each their own. I personally se some appeal in Beautavia.

Jimmy translation: If Vinyl is going out with Octavia, she can’t go out with my OC! We can’t have that now, can we?


@xTSGx

You’ve been told wrong. Twiluna is objectively best ship.
>adorkable Twilight trying to sway ancient princess
>lonely!Luna provides for plenty of feels
>100% Who Wants to Live Forever? free
>rarely dark or angsty
>Luna’s dream and illusion magic allows for most fetishes
>adventure, mystery, comedy--every genre
>limited canon interaction prevents jossing
>shipping fuel (Twilight redeeming Luna, helping her in Luna Eclipsed )

Ha, objectively. Right mate, get out from behind your flimsy “canon best pony” armor and ship like a man.
>“Adorkable” and “Ancient Princess” is only as positive a point for Twilight as any good quality is for any other character. Unless you want to say Adorkable is superior, but then it’s bye-bye being objective.
>Lonely Luna only applies to fanfics, and only ones that need Luna to be sad or angsty. Plus, after Luna Eclipsed, we can see that she’s one of the few secondary characters who wouldn’t really be all that lonely, having won the hearts of most of the ponies in Ponyville and saying that she “couldn’t be happier” with being transformed back from NMM.
>Most ships don’t have this problem. And why is the idea of Twilight being immortal so widely accepted? Cadence is aging normally, why wouldn’t Twilight?
>Discrepancy detected. You can either have “not dark or angsty” or “Lonely Luna.” Not both. I can’t argue this point much further, though, because I don’t read enough fanfics.
>They live in a world of magic, any fetish with any character works if the writer or artist puts even a shread of imagination into it. Just because the dream excuse comes pre-packaged in an easy to open bag doesn’t prove TwiLuna as best ship.
>Holy crap, this really is mainly about fanfics isn’t it? I’m out of my depth here. Regardless, this is very open-ended evidence that comes from either uncreative writers or selective fanfic picks on your part.
>It could just as easily be jossed as any other ship simply by pairing Luna or Twi with somepony else. And what show have you been watching where character interaction leads to jossing of ships? Because from what I’ve seen, the Mane 6 interact all the time and they’ve never suggested anything to imply they would never be an item. Closest we got was ApplePie getting bumped to “possible incest” status.
>Someone is wearing their shipping goggles a tad tight. You can find shipping fuel for any character if you look hard enough.

I feel dirty from having used so many greater-than signs. I need to go wash my hands.


@Crash

You monster, how could you do that to Twilight?! D:

Sheesh, calm down, it’s just a ship…

@Blue

Don’t forget one of the most popular fandom crack-ships. Chrissypuff!

HOW COULD ANYONE DO THAT TO QUEEN CHRYSALIS?
Yeah, still not a fan of fluffle puff. I do find some parts of the animations funny sometimes (“I’m not allowed to use scissors”), but only at the level of “Hey, that was a clever gag. If only I liked Fluffle Puff’s look or the idea of Dan and Chrysalis living with Twilight or hearing the same damn sound effect all the time or any of these other choices the animator made.”


@Kewl

Is it bad that I think AppleDash is my OTP?

Why would that ever be a bad thing? That’s, like, basic level ship there. Like asking if it’s a bad thing for chocolate chip to be your One True Cookie. Plus it’s one of the few ships with show staff sorta backing it up.


@Crash, again

2) ….Did you indirectly call Weird Al a really good lay? I mean, yeah his pony version might be different enough but can’t help but think of that…

You have a bit of a habit of connecting things in your mind until you find something to be weirded out by. Blue says off-the-wall pony is probably good in bed, he’s based on his VA Weird Al, therefore Blue must be saying Weird Al is good in bed. Derpy is innocent, kisses are the first steps to a sexual relationship, therefore Derpy kisses are like Derpy having sex. I’m not trying to be an ass bringing this Derpy thing up again, it’s just a pattern I’m starting to notice.

Oh, and while we’re on the subject, Al is probably FANTASTIC in bed.


That’s the end of my snarky-ass post. Now look at Pinkie’s face and know terror.

Last edited Mar 21, 2014 at 07:01AM EDT

@Crash

If Maud’s going to be horribly unresponsive in bed, isn’t that at least a small point against marrying her?

Maybe, for some. But she’s still a better candidate for that option than the others. She’s not suitable for fucking or killing.

Besides. sex doesn’t seem to matter that much in marriage if the amount of healthy sexless marriages are any indication. There’s much more to an ideal wife than being someone you can fuck. Like say: being easy to work with, which will be a strong point for someone as non-abrasive as Maud.

If you think a good wife is defined by her bed performance, you’re an awful husband

Did you indirectly call Weird Al a really good lay?

Mmmmnnnno

I’m saying an excitable, fun loving and energetic party pony is probably good in bed

Last edited Mar 21, 2014 at 08:37AM EDT

CrashGordon94 posted:

@Lunar: Didn’t you say you hated incest in a previous discussion? I think it came up in the polygamy versus monogamy argument we had a while back.

You’re confusing me with someone else. I was the one that ships everyone and everything, and endorses polygamy.

… And I actually do have a thing for one of my cousins in some unrequited thing so I know you’re misremembering something… Or perhaps something I said was misleading one time.

And oh yeah, wasn’t I the one who said my own fan-fic was basically turning out like friendship is witchcraft’s song from foally matrimony? As in this one?

So no, I don’t have a thing against incest.

Stunt was all like:

Jimmy translation: If Vinyl is going out with Octavia, she can’t go out with my OC! We can’t have that now, can we?

In truth, though, I do enjoy Octascratch myself. I like the odd couple concept of it, for one thing, and secondly, it’s fucking sexy as hell.

Stunthead said:

Ha, objectively.

I was making a joke. Specifically on how shipping is “serious business” and thus, people tend to over-exaggerate the evidence that backs up their ship and make blanket, firm declarations on the superiority of their ship.

I had written out an in-depth rebuttal to your points, but then I realized that would defeat the purpose of the joke and probably lead to a shipping debate that I have no interest in taking part of since shipping is just a fun, occasionally sexual thing that I do.

Have some more canonically confirmed best ship.

Last edited Mar 21, 2014 at 07:23PM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

Stunthead said:

Ha, objectively.

I was making a joke. Specifically on how shipping is “serious business” and thus, people tend to over-exaggerate the evidence that backs up their ship and make blanket, firm declarations on the superiority of their ship.

I had written out an in-depth rebuttal to your points, but then I realized that would defeat the purpose of the joke and probably lead to a shipping debate that I have no interest in taking part of since shipping is just a fun, occasionally sexual thing that I do.

Have some more canonically confirmed best ship.

So that “canon best pony” thing and all this shipping was just jokes this whole time? I always had an inkling, but I was never entirely sure if you were making fun of the “serious buisness” bronies or if… you, yknow, were one. You do talk about 4chan, shhhstroms and fanfiction a lot, and your obsession with the thread title election always felt pretty real. Mainly because nobody else really seemed like they were playing along with the joke. Most people just seemed annoyed by it.

I’ve assumed people were joking about stuff before and found out it was very real, so now I usually lean more towards taking things seriously and literally unless the person is using caps or extreme textile. Hell, maybe I’ve just become a cynical grump because the RolePlay has been going on longer than I thought it would and it’s been costing me Sunday mornings in bed for months now. Screw you, timezones.

Stunthead said:

So that “canon best pony” thing and all this shipping was just jokes this whole time?

Yup. While I do think Twilight’s best pony and Twiluna’s best ship, I don’t take it seriously, and I certainly can’t “objectively” prove anything (although Twilight is the only character to ever be called “best pony” in canon). It’s all for fun.

…your obsession with the thread title election always felt pretty real.

I spend, at most, two or three minutes a day on the Election and that’s only if the matter is brought up in the thread (or I’m “promoting” my favorite thread title). For me, it, like every thing else in the fandom, is just a fun little hobby to pass the time between college classes.

In general, for most things in the thread, I’m going to approach carefree and lighthearted. I’ll save my cynicism toward society and politics and my obsessions for the rest of the Forum.


Speaking of shitstorms, JanAnimations has just received a C&D from Hasbro and has removed all his pony vids from his channel. I love a good shitstorm, but this one has caused a substantial rustling on my part. Copyright laws are going to be the death of creativity.

I’ve also never been one to take part in the doom and gloom side of the shitstorms but this one has me genuinely worried. Hasbro’s never targeted something so “normal.” What’s to stop them from going after 2snacks, or other animators? Even more doomsayee, what’s to stop them from going after fanfics? What with the expended universe now getting full length novels.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 04:55AM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

Stunthead said:

So that “canon best pony” thing and all this shipping was just jokes this whole time?

Yup. While I do think Twilight’s best pony and Twiluna’s best ship, I don’t take it seriously, and I certainly can’t “objectively” prove anything (although Twilight is the only character to ever be called “best pony” in canon). It’s all for fun.

…your obsession with the thread title election always felt pretty real.

I spend, at most, two or three minutes a day on the Election and that’s only if the matter is brought up in the thread (or I’m “promoting” my favorite thread title). For me, it, like every thing else in the fandom, is just a fun little hobby to pass the time between college classes.

In general, for most things in the thread, I’m going to approach carefree and lighthearted. I’ll save my cynicism toward society and politics and my obsessions for the rest of the Forum.


Speaking of shitstorms, JanAnimations has just received a C&D from Hasbro and has removed all his pony vids from his channel. I love a good shitstorm, but this one has caused a substantial rustling on my part. Copyright laws are going to be the death of creativity.

I’ve also never been one to take part in the doom and gloom side of the shitstorms but this one has me genuinely worried. Hasbro’s never targeted something so “normal.” What’s to stop them from going after 2snacks, or other animators? Even more doomsayee, what’s to stop them from going after fanfics? What with the expended universe now getting full length novels.

You know, those lawyers or anyone behind them should be dragged out from their office and be forced to justify their actions without quoting laws. Let’s see how well they fare then.

I now know why this cycle happens: Someone receives C&D, people are angry but instead of fighting, they eventually move on, leaving other victims vulnerable. If you have received C&D, the worst thing that you can do is trying to “be civil” while complying. Trying to “be civil” won’t calm the people down. It just gives encouragement to companies to continue their practices.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 05:50AM EDT

I’ll reply to the other stuff and the replies to my post later on, but right now I’ll just respond to the
C&D:
That’s really, REALLY awful, I never really checked out his videos but now I won’t even get the chance… And not to mention ongoing series and such…
Hopefully they’ll be able to find a new place to continue and will be able to not let this stop them, because it’d be really terrible if this stopped them forever…
And also, this is absolutely fucking despicable behavior on Hasbro’s part, hopefully someone eventually takes them to task and gets them to stop this bullshit once and for all, because this is really not on in any way, shape or form!

@Jan

Damn it…


With the episode coming up being called For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls, was going to come in here making silly jokes about this being the episode where they kill Sweetie just to be ‘edgy’…

Then they killed Sweetie’s boyfriend…

Now I don’t feel like it…

Before we lament too much though, Jan did make a short statement.
Looks like pony isn’t entirely out of the question (somehow), so I’d like to wait to hear his official side of things before we go too nuts.
This majorly sucks out loud, but if he’s still allowed to produce on commission, perhaps all his work will not be for naught.

@Jan Animation C&D

Sounds like Hasbro was concerned over the use of Button Mash specifically.

Seems they just don’t want people using actual characters or background characters that appeared in the official show or characters drawn in any way that could confuse people into thinking it comes from the official show. OC’s not drawn in the recognizable FiM style are okay.

Something something fair use act.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 08:15AM EDT

@BSoD
Yeah, it seems to fall into one of those instances of ‘infringement by being almost indistinguishable.’
Using canon characters with animation basically on par with the actual show put him in the position of looking enough like official content that the so-called ‘reasonable consumer’ could mistake it for such.
It’s one of those weird cases where he was essentially too good.
OCs and/or animations that are more stylized should not have this same issue.

Again, it sounds like this may not be the end of JanAnimations and pony so it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.
He did say that his AskTheCrusaders ask blog will probably have a better update schedule now that his videos are on hiatus.


In other news, since we’ve been talking about pony sculptures recently, there’s an artist over on dA who’s in a bit of a bind financially.
She’s looking to take on any commissions that come her way (or you can buy from her stock of pre-mades) so if you’ve ever been looking for a pony for yourself, give her a shout.

Commissions are OPEN

For a personal anecdote, here’s what she made for me:

Just arrived today and it’s awesome!
She’s a very nice person to boot so I’d like to help her out if I can (thus my out-of-character advertisement).

Anyway, cry for help over.
Back to our sadness.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 08:33AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Alright…

…who did it?

Wow! That’s sum artz! Looks like we got an awesome user up in here. I’m guessing that’s QWERTY Warrior Stevo’s work since he’s the uploader and he has an awesome DeviantArt.


@C&D: My blood is nearly boiling. I don’t want to say something stupid, so I’ll just bite my tongue. Next we’ll see the fanfics go and then it will be the custom plushies. Celestia help us all…

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Jan Animation C&D

Sounds like Hasbro was concerned over the use of Button Mash specifically.

Seems they just don’t want people using actual characters or background characters that appeared in the official show or characters drawn in any way that could confuse people into thinking it comes from the official show. OC’s not drawn in the recognizable FiM style are okay.

Something something fair use act.

Ok. What’s the worse that could have happened to Hasbro without C&D.

Before you say, you should make the research on largest fanworks that have been made to various franchises and how they have affected companies. See any examples where a fanwork has caused something really negative to them?

@Evilthing

How would I know? And why they hell do you think I want to argue for it? I’m not a lawyer

I’m just pointing out their prime target which looks to be any fan content that uses canon characters to a degree of exact show mimicking

You tell me why they want to C&D that. Though my best guess is that they don’t want to risk people holding them responsible (for whatever reason) for content they didn’t make just because the content looked like something they made or is something they own.

That or they’re fearful that if they don’t have a hard line on their content copyrights, they’re gonna lose it. But talk to them about that

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Evilthing

How would I know? And why they hell do you think I want to argue for it? I’m not a lawyer

I’m just pointing out their prime target which looks to be any fan content that uses canon characters to a degree of exact show mimicking

You tell me why they want to C&D that. Though my best guess is that they don’t want to risk people holding them responsible (for whatever reason) for content they didn’t make just because the content looked like something they made or is something they own.

That or they’re fearful that if they don’t have a hard line on their content copyrights, they’re gonna lose it. But talk to them about that

Here’s a thing: you don’t have to defend your copyright (as opposed to trademark). Those laws are so extreme in fact that works stay copyrighted even when there would be no known author for the work and it’s been reproduced and modified constantly by others.

Second, you may have to protect trademark. However, this can be easily circumvented by sending C&D notes to works specifically designed to receive them. One of the worst things that a company can do is to go after works that take or have taken a lot of effort to make.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 10:44AM EDT

@BSoD: Drawing confirmed to be of QWERTY’s doing. Alex Mercer even animated it.

Gawd that is just awesomesauce! I wish I had 1/10th of that talent.


@New Ep: So that was cool. Meghan promised good imagery, and those scenes really lived up to her word. The story was a little rushed as always, but thou shalts not heareth complaints from my lips. I got an episode staring the 3 best ponies! Now shut up and check my dubs.


Edit: C&D Update!

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 11:39AM EDT

No review from me. I missed the episode, luckily for me I found out they’re actually doing encores for new episodes ON THE DAY IT PREMIERED! I just have to wait till 11:30 for the new episode and It’ll be a-okay……wait, I work at 12 and it’s a 40 minute drive to work. Well shit.

>walk into Giant Eagle today
>pony Beanie Babies on the shelf of dust collecting cute shit
>nothing but Pinkie Pies

Even Giant Eagle knows who the real best pony is, pony general. So why don’t you? Getting a better look at them online I’d say they’re not bad for official merch. Wish I woulda bought one now.

@Jans C&D

You know what pisses me off about C&Ds? It’s difficult to be as mad as you’d like about them knowing we enjoy top notch fan work at Hasbro’s mercy. Still though I’d have loved to see more button mash adventures.

@C&D

FUCK.

FUCKING SHIT FUCK YOU HASBRO.

But seriously, I’m getting real sick of your shit. You know what? At this point, I want Hasbro to be bought out by Disney. At least they don’t seem to give a shit about Kingdom Hearts fan works and the like. Plus, we’d probably score a ride at Animal Kingdom or something. And as for that tweet, please do look into it, you FUCKING SHITEATER corrupt corporate executive.


@Episode:

Besides this, 9.2/10.

Calm your jimmies Jimmy. The C&D is bad, yes, but there is no need to fill your post with swears. You often do that too in the RP, and honestly, it’s starting to become sort of annoying. Maybe cut that down a little?

I find it weird that they C&D him while he’s in the middle of a large project. They most likely knew about his videos, so if they’re gonna do that, why not before he starts it? The whole C&D stuff comes over as rather childish to me, they’re doing good financially and Jan isn’t putting MLP in a bad daylight. But giving him that order while he’s in the middle of something large just makes it an extra dicky move.


@CrashGordon94
Someone on ED has made a google doc that has links to re-uploads of Jan’s videos. So if you want to watch them, here’s the link

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 01:21PM EDT
Calm your jimmies Jimmy. The C&D is bad, yes, but there is no need to fill your post with swears. You often do that too in the RP, and honestly, it’s starting to become sort of annoying. Maybe cut that down a little?

It’s satirical for the most part.

Evilthing said:

Ok. What’s the worse that could have happened to Hasbro without C&D.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is a federal judge revoking Hasbro’s trademarks (PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE, APPLEJACK, CRYSTAL EMPIRE PLAYSET, CUTIE MARK, etc.) due to “rouge third parties” using the trademarks freely, thus making the marks worthless. Hasbro must impose draconian policies because of Congress. The Lanhem Trademark Act was one of the worst IP ideas Congress has had.

Blue Screen said:

That or they’re fearful that if they don’t have a hard line on their content copyrights, they’re gonna lose it.

Trademarks can be revoked. Copyrights are indefinite. No amount of “rouge third parties” or federal judges can stop a copyright.

@Episode
I enjoyed it, even if the C&D’s left me in a bad mood. Sweetie Bitch was good and the Luna part of the episode definitely was the best part. I’m both glad and a little frustrated Luna didn’t dive deeper into her “sister troubles.” Glad because it means there will be no jossing today, and frustrated because they passed up a great opportunity to flesh out Luna and her relationship with Celestia some more. I’m also scratching my head. Celestia runs the government, attends meetings, does paperwork and Luna… visits foals’ dreams and helps them sew dolphins. I’m starting to see why Celestia made Twilight a princess.

7.5/10.

Well, considering cease & desists, there’s really only two options.
1. View the already created content somewhere not so mainstream where it still exists.
2. Move on to the next pony media and get over the former.

That’s all Hasbro seems targets: Flashes based off direct FiM animation style.

They’re not gonna target fanfiction (consider the numerous amount of work they’d have to do to remove every work, if it is even possible), artwork (again, much too widespread and countless), or other vids not really based off the animation style of FiM. Had Button’s Adventures been animated in a different style unlike the show’s, the series would probably not have been targeted, but then again, the possibility that most people here wouldn’t have watched it otherwise.

Now, I’m sure plenty of us are bitter about Jan’s C&D. I was about Fighting is Magic, but then I moved on (with the help of New Vegas and Garry’s Mod MLP addons). But there’s plenty of other pony media to appreciate out there.


Unrelated:

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 06:50PM EDT

Well, now I think I can reply to the other stuff!

Stunthead:

Sheesh, calm down, it’s just a ship…

Oh, that was really just joking, sorry about that response, thought it would be sufficiently over-the-top but I suppose people have those sort of reactions sincerely all the time…

HOW COULD ANYONE DO THAT TO QUEEN CHRYSALIS?

You have a bit of a habit of connecting things in your mind until you find something to be weirded out by. Blue says off-the-wall pony is probably good in bed, he’s based on his VA Weird Al, therefore Blue must be saying Weird Al is good in bed. Derpy is innocent, kisses are the first steps to a sexual relationship, therefore Derpy kisses are like Derpy having sex. I’m not trying to be an ass bringing this Derpy thing up again, it’s just a pattern I’m starting to notice.

You have a point actually, I certainly won’t push the point, though I will say it’s not that strange a connection, he seems pretty heavily based on Weird Al, and a lot of fans treat him as a ponified version of Weird Al to boot. Not to say I’m right, but just where I was basically coming from.

That’s the end of my snarky-ass post. Now look at Pinkie’s face and know terror.

DIDNEY WORL?!
As funny as that face is, notice that Maud also looks really stoned in that picture? She’s not so above it all…

Blue said:

Maybe, for some. But she’s still a better candidate for that option than the others. She’s not suitable for fucking or killing.
Besides. sex doesn’t seem to matter that much in marriage if the amount of healthy sexless marriages are any indication. There’s much more to an ideal wife than being someone you can fuck. Like say: being easy to work with, which will be a strong point for someone as non-abrasive as Maud.
If you think a good wife is defined by her bed performance, you’re an awful husband

Fair point, it wasn’t so much that I thought that’s what it’s all about, so much as most people I hear (anywhere) say that sex is part of a healthy marriage, so I was curious if that would be a negative point at all, not meaning to imply anything heavier than that and sorry if I did.

Mmmmnnnno
I’m saying an excitable, fun loving and energetic party pony is probably good in bed

Makes sense, people often say that about Pinkie, after all…

Lunar said:

You’re confusing me with someone else. I was the one that ships everyone and everything, and endorses polygamy.

I could’ve sworn you said something negative about it… But you know you better than I know you (obviously) and I don’t feel like looking anything up, so I almost certainly am just remembering wrong, my bad.

Sorry about the delay, have been busy for a bit after I made that post, and the C&D has had me in a foul mood…

Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys!

They make ponies in even cuter smaller size

Just when you think they couldn’t make the ponies cuter. Now I’m off to die from the Diabeetus.

Wow…a CMC episode I actually liked.

I found myself relating to Rarities situation a lot.

Having someone get in your grill over something you worked really hard on to please them and they wont tell you what is wrong, expecting you to somehow “know”.

Yea, I’ve been there Rarity. I’ve been there.


@Evilthing

I already know all that shit. Go tell that to Hasbro.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 11:34PM EDT

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys Guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys!

They make ponies in even cuter smaller size

Just when you think they couldn’t make the ponies cuter. Now I’m off to die from the Diabeetus.

Diasweetes thread!

Laud Piestrings wrote:

Well, considering cease & desists, there’s really only two options.
1. View the already created content somewhere not so mainstream where it still exists.
2. Move on to the next pony media and get over the former.

That’s all Hasbro seems targets: Flashes based off direct FiM animation style.

They’re not gonna target fanfiction (consider the numerous amount of work they’d have to do to remove every work, if it is even possible), artwork (again, much too widespread and countless), or other vids not really based off the animation style of FiM. Had Button’s Adventures been animated in a different style unlike the show’s, the series would probably not have been targeted, but then again, the possibility that most people here wouldn’t have watched it otherwise.

Now, I’m sure plenty of us are bitter about Jan’s C&D. I was about Fighting is Magic, but then I moved on (with the help of New Vegas and Garry’s Mod MLP addons). But there’s plenty of other pony media to appreciate out there.


Unrelated:

You move on, leaving another target vulnerable.

By the way, didn’t people tell before that Mane6 was not gonna be a target to C&D before that happened?

I wonder if a trademark loss can really lead a company that big to bankruptcy? I don’t think so, whatever anyone else might say. Those trademarks have little value as trademarks are supposed to protect consumers, not holding companies. Only trademarks that really matter are names of companies, and maybe if a product has a consistent quality. Trademarks about fictional stuff and characters which can change from product to product are practically worthless in this case.

Shouldn’t consumers dictate which trademarks are worthless and which are not instead of companies?

Last edited Mar 23, 2014 at 12:34AM EDT

CrashGordon94 posted:

I could’ve sworn you said something negative about it… But you know you better than I know you (obviously) and I don’t feel like looking anything up, so I almost certainly am just remembering wrong, my bad.

I think I remember one time I may have said something against a specific case of incest… But that’s more to do with… Well… The fact I’m not comfortable addressing Hillbilly stereotypes, and its hard to talk about Applecest without bringing it up.

…Although apparently the show has deflowered the issue of hillbillies and hicks.

Sorry about the delay, have been busy for a bit after I made that post, and the C&D has had me in a foul mood…

I’ve been out buying magic the gathering cards… So I didn’t notice the delay.

Speaking of which… I found it interesting that one card I ended up finding a lot of copies of was this:

…Anyone who thinks of Rainbow Dash just by reading the name of the card probably has too much MLP on the brain.

Last edited Mar 23, 2014 at 01:06AM EDT

@Episode
I liked it a lot!
Could have basically been entitled ‘Sweetie Belle: The Episode’ because it essentially described the whole basis of her character in one fell swoop.
Hell, this is pretty much Sweetie Belle in a gif:

Even if you had never seen anything about Sweetie Belle before today, that one scene says it all.
“I want to be like my sister!” splat

And good god, she is heart-breakingly cute.

The lesson was nice, as was Luna’s integration.
All around, a very cute little episode!


How Luna spends her free time:


@Evilthing

That doesn’t make sense…

I wonder if a trademark loss can really lead a company that big to bankruptcy?

Two things:
My Little Pony is a huge IP for them and I can guarantee that losing it would absolutely put a massive dent in their profits.
They would still have lots of other IPs in their catalog to fall back on, but a company would be pretty dumb to just give up on something so big.
Not to mention, it would set precedent for anyone to just come in and start messing with their other IPs, too.

‘If losing pony doesn’t matter, then surely they can do without Transformers.’
‘And why do they need this? And that?’

Second:
The amount of money that someone has or their financial security does not determine how the law is applied (until you get to the cost of court cases themselves, but that’s a different problem in itself).
Just because losing one trademark would not completely tank their business does not mean they shouldn’t be allowed to defend it when they feel they need to.
Stealing $20 is the same crime whether I commit it against Bill Gates or the homeless guy on the corner.
The morality is obviously skewed, but they would be legally equivalent.

Shouldn’t consumers dictate which trademarks are worthless and which are not instead of companies?

No, not directly at least.
I’m sort of curious where you got the idea that trademarks are intended to protect consumers over companies because that is pretty much untrue.
They can definitely be useful in creating a cohesive brand identity so that consumers can feel confident about a consistent source and thus have the ‘protection’ of knowing what they are getting, but that is not the intent of the law, just a very symbiotic side effect.
Trademarks have a lot to do with a company’s public image so in cases like this where there are imitations capable of being confused with the official product, it makes a good bit of sense to enforce.
Jan was using their trademarks, but they had no control over his intentions.
We know he wouldn’t because he’s a cool guy, but from Hasbro’s (or at least the legal department’s) perspective, there was nothing stopping him from using his skill to just start cranking out hard-core show-style porn anytime he wanted to.
(Or making money on bootlegs and stuff. Porn is just a visceral example.)
Lawyers are paid to protect their company so they will jump on these risky situations early so that they can’t blow up later.
Protecting their image is massively valuable to a company and it is exactly what these laws were created to do.

As to determining a trademark’s worth, customers sort of do have control over that.
It just comes in terms of spending power over actual direct influence.
In the same way that a trademark stands for all the positive aspects of a company’s image, it also hangs on to any negatives.
If Hasbro makes some really bad decisions and turns consumers against the name ‘Hasbro,’ that trademark will have essentially lost value.
Same goes for any smaller trademark that they own.

To this specific case, the C&D seems to indicate that it was largely the fact that he was imitating the style of the show that got him noticed.
If someone unaware of the fanbase came across Button’s Adventures on Youtube, I don’t think they could be blamed for thinking it might have been Hasbro-made/-approved because the quality and style were quite consistent with official products.
Then they get to the end and see:

All of a sudden, you have them wondering why a kid-friendly company has included profanity references in their cartoons.
Hasbro doesn’t want that (or anything else that they don’t have direct control over) associated with their brand image because it might effect how parents (the primary people who buy their stuff) view their products, so they jump on it.
It’s an unfortunate situation absolutely, but Hasbro is not Hitler here.
It’s just cold, impersonal self-protection.
I do wish they were more forthcoming with finding amicable solutions for both parties over simply asserting their right unilaterally, but that kind of case-by-case stance would take massively more effort than simple blanket restrictions (and can you imagine how many projects would be sending letters to Hasbro to get their seal of approval if they opened that can of worms?).

tl;dr Same as we always say; It sucks that it happened, but Jan was always on legall questionable ground at best.
Hasbro has the right to defend its products and, while we wish they were more open to compromises and deals, it’s hard to blame them too much.

Oh, and in regards to Mane6, I remember a lot of discussion specifically about how they were walking a very dangerous line, especially when they started putting themselves into major tournaments and getting coverage in gaming magazines and websites.
Anyone saying that they weren’t going to be C&D’d was speaking more out of hope than any legal basis.


Anyone want to join my new religion?
I call it Scootitarinism!

All hail Scootaloo, our Mother of Modesty!

Edit: Page get confirms! Scootitarianism is the one true religion!

Last edited Mar 23, 2014 at 03:54AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!