Forums / Discussion / General

168,562 total conversations in 5,399 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9944 posts from 165 users

Surprise visit from mother just happened… I’m probably going to be a little held up from work on drawing anything for a day or two…

That said… I may have a discussion topic… Fanfiction cliches Vs Reality.

The main one I always notice is in one of those stories everyone always retread for every franchise where a fantasitical race exists, to the point its practically a genre. “Human Transforms into X”. Or specific to this series, “Human Transforms into Pony”.

…So what’s the Cliche?

The human turned pony at some point brings up the question of Labs rounding up the transformed to perform tests on.

Usually in the stories it either happens or not happens. It could go either way, but rarely do the characters actually acknowledge that things don’t work that way.

In the real world, if a human turned into a pony or some other mystical creature. They’d probably spend a small amount of time checking out what’s going on at a hospital, checking if its contagious. And when they find nothing, they’d let them go.

That’s… Pretty much it. Not much more to say on that matter.

May 18, 2013 at 08:46AM EDT
Quote

@BSoD

Thanks for the encouragement. :) Funny thing is: that was the first picture I drew with a drawing tablet. It took me a few days to draw it (note that I’m a perfectionist), and now I’m practicing on how to keep a steady hand.


@Background for collaboration

I’m thinking maybe a setting from the show:

We need shading then for something visually striking or intensely horrifying:

For that ^ or that v

Or if we want lack there of, we can use something like this:

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 01:15PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 01:14PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Well, I already offered to make OC’s for the less artistically talented, so If you send a PM with a picture (and a brief description of what you would want your “special talent” to be) Then I would be more than happy to make you a pony!

Speaking of which, I’m gonna give myself a deadline of finishing all these ponysona requests by friday of next week (give or take). I only have a couple shifts of work next week, and I don’t have any social life plans because all my friends are just meeting for the weekend at Anime Boston, so I should have plenty of time to finish any and all requests and have them posted here by friday.

Thank you, I’ll send you the picture as soon as I steal find a camera.

I just had a weird thought. What if somepony’s special talent was thievery? What would their cutie mark look like? If it was something that says “Hey! I’m a thief!” then no pony would trust them. Here’s a discussion topic: Would acts of wrong-doing be considered special talents in the pony world? If so, what would the cutie mark look like?

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 01:47PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 01:46PM EDT
Quote

@ Lone K: You gotta find more images like these:
They really help to learn.


@ Family Photo thing. This img:

So many feels. I was the damn rock for quite a while. Any of the old posters still have the one Muumi did for us?

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 02:07PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 02:05PM EDT
Quote

Disturbed B wrote:

Thank you, I’ll send you the picture as soon as I steal find a camera.

I just had a weird thought. What if somepony’s special talent was thievery? What would their cutie mark look like? If it was something that says “Hey! I’m a thief!” then no pony would trust them. Here’s a discussion topic: Would acts of wrong-doing be considered special talents in the pony world? If so, what would the cutie mark look like?

To the question of “wrongdoing” acts being considered special talents… You just have to look to some RPGs to tell that the answer could be both “Yes”, and that they may be able to exercise those talents in a semi appropriate way.

For example, Assassins are useful for dealing with villains discretely before they do any harm. Thieves are just as capable at stealing something back as they are at stealing in general, so monarchs like Celestia could pay them to steal back important things when other countries have gotten their hands on them… So on so forth.

As for what kind of cutie mark they would have… Well, since a lot of cutie marks are poetic about what they mean anyways, they may end up being something easily misinterpreted, or can pass for another talent if explained away.

For example… A thief may have a cutie mark involving a bag of money… And everyone assumes they are rich. In fact, there is a cutie mark like that on a non thief… Filthy Rich!

And for less specific cutie marks. It could just be something generally foreshadowing their nature, but not overt… Like a dark rose. Which would essentially mean they are cunning rogues, with the rose itself representing their charm, and the dark color representing their secretive nature… But can easily be misinterpreted as “botanist of gothic plants”.

That help?

Edit: I’m well aware I could have just mentioned the Robin Hood thing… But that would be lazy exampling.

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 02:18PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 02:14PM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

All these OC’s are giving me an intense desire to begin shipping them.

I already have the USS Bulletcaro moored in the harbor and ready to disembark.

Shipping Ace and Vinyl would be good for your health.


@Backgrounds: Here’s some.


The boiler room section of The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror.


Shawn Micheals versus Chris Jericho, WrestleMania XIX.


The Warehouse level from Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater.


I updated Ace and gave him a white background. Made it work by darkening his coat a little. He’s rapping in the picture, and Vinyl DJing along with him is recommended.

May 18, 2013 at 02:42PM EDT
Quote

Jimmy Lethal wrote:

He is rapping in the picture, and he is in a hip-hop duo with Vinyl, who is his fillyfriend. Adding Vinyl DJing along with him wouldn’t hurt.

I updated Ace and gave him a white background. Made it work by darkening his coat a little. He’s rapping in the picture, and Vinyl DJing along with him is recommended.

Yeah, ok, I’m going to be a bit blunt here, so apologies in advance.

That doesn’t really look like he’s rapping, at all. His looks don’t even look like a rapper. I mean, I don’t listen to rap, but I know rappers commonly don’t look like that at all. He appears more like a midget emo than a rapper. And his “rapping” looks more like a spasm than a rap. His name “Ace Spade” and his cutie mark also don’t really have anything to do with rapping nor music in general.

The previous description with “Vinyl’s filly friend and rap duo” also bothers me a bit. For starters, being a rap duo with her apparently makes him super well known within the canon. How did he got that far? We don’t know anything on it. And her childhood friend? As BSoD already pointed out on mane 6 relationships with OCs: How did your OC suddenly got so important that he should be directly involved like that with widely known canon/fanon ponies?

If I had a vote on him, I would lower the “rap duo and filly friend” a bit. Make it so he went to the same music school as her (not close friends though), and he recorded just one song with her once as a highlight in his life. Also some edits on his looks so that he actually looks more like a rapper. The current setting is more a setup to a highschool smoochy love story during music class. Making a rapper OC is a good idea and can work out, but bluntly making him super important to the state of being extremely close related with a well known fanon pony….. not so much.

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 03:17PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 03:07PM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

Just Lyra’s luck – finally gets a human body, thinks she’s a dog.

May 18, 2013 at 05:38PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Jimmy Lethal wrote:

He is rapping in the picture, and he is in a hip-hop duo with Vinyl, who is his fillyfriend. Adding Vinyl DJing along with him wouldn’t hurt.

I updated Ace and gave him a white background. Made it work by darkening his coat a little. He’s rapping in the picture, and Vinyl DJing along with him is recommended.

Yeah, ok, I’m going to be a bit blunt here, so apologies in advance.

That doesn’t really look like he’s rapping, at all. His looks don’t even look like a rapper. I mean, I don’t listen to rap, but I know rappers commonly don’t look like that at all. He appears more like a midget emo than a rapper. And his “rapping” looks more like a spasm than a rap. His name “Ace Spade” and his cutie mark also don’t really have anything to do with rapping nor music in general.

The previous description with “Vinyl’s filly friend and rap duo” also bothers me a bit. For starters, being a rap duo with her apparently makes him super well known within the canon. How did he got that far? We don’t know anything on it. And her childhood friend? As BSoD already pointed out on mane 6 relationships with OCs: How did your OC suddenly got so important that he should be directly involved like that with widely known canon/fanon ponies?

If I had a vote on him, I would lower the “rap duo and filly friend” a bit. Make it so he went to the same music school as her (not close friends though), and he recorded just one song with her once as a highlight in his life. Also some edits on his looks so that he actually looks more like a rapper. The current setting is more a setup to a highschool smoochy love story during music class. Making a rapper OC is a good idea and can work out, but bluntly making him super important to the state of being extremely close related with a well known fanon pony….. not so much.

1.) Being born human, Ace actually looks more like a rapper on Earth than in Equestria, where he wears a white T-shirt (with a spade on it, but still), baggy jeans, white high-tops, and occasionally, dog tags and a baseball cap. Also, keep in mind he’s white. That being said, I drew some of his human style from guys like Fred Durst. And what does Fred wear? Yep. Baggy jeans and a baseball cap. The transition to pony form was an attempt to mimic his shirt and shoes’ color scheme.

One more thing on the subject of appearence – his hair is not at all emo-like or spiky on Earth – it is actually medium-short. And as for the “midgit” thing… well, quoting The Sugarhill Gang, he’s six-foot-one and tons of fun. On Earth. Seriously, a six foot pony? What are you, insane?

2.) The lackluster pose stems from my complete inability to actually make a character’s pose on Pony Creator look decent. Because, frankly, most of the time, they look retarded. He also lacks a mic, so I kind of get where you’re going with that.

3.) Remember Cheerilee’s cutie mark? Indirect meaning. Ace’s cutie mark? Indirect meaning. It stems from the fact that he’s an “ace” at rapping. avoids tomatoes His parents were successful casino owners, but aside from being a part-time blackjack dealer, Ace mainly focuses on rapping. That and the fact he’s from Vegas.

4.) Alright, now here’s my theory: it is fine to pair an OC with a background character that has a grand total of fifteen seconds of screen time and has no established backstory whatsoever. Alright, fine, I kinda fucked that one up with the Jeff/AJ pairing, but then again, Jeff technically isn’t an OC. And if I could invent a trope, I’d say Ace and Vinyl are a “Best Friend Romance”. Hell, Ace is pretty much a bro, and Vinyl isn’t far from it.

Also, I never said he was well-known or important in canon. Vinyl has never been mentioned by name in the show. Ever. As for being important in fanon, there is such a thing as a headcanon. In mine, Ace and Vinyl are a hip-hop duo who are romantically involved. That is my personal belief, and I’m sure you have yours.

One final note: my headcanon involves the Prime dimension (containing our world and Equestria) and thousands of other dimensions that stem from Prime. Kinda like the Jappleack Tumblr. As such, Ace and Vinyl (part of the Prime dimension), having the ability to transfer between dimensions. And I can assure you that the two have probably been to your dimension. Yeah, you. The reader, not just RM.


Enough counter-critiquing, though. Have some Spitfire.


EDIT: There better be a chat tonight.

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 07:27PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 07:24PM EDT
Quote

Ooh, an argument! Let’s make it a threeway.

@Random

I agree with Jimmy here that you’re wrong to put Vinyl on the same level as main and secondary characters. I think we should be willing to tolerate a lot more fan wank concerning Vinyl just because she really doesn’t have any canon personality to speak of besides her occupation and what can be inferred from it (DJ, probably a party animal, etc.) Shipping Vinyl with an OC is significantly less annoying than shipping, say, Twilight with an OC because with Twilight, we’re forced to ask “How come this mysterious character is never even mentioned in all the time we see Twi on screen?”

Conflicting with canon is one thing, but when you get annoyed that Vinyl is getting shipped with some OC, you’re really just annoyed that your fanon is getting replaced with his fanon.

@Jimmy

Alright, the thing you need to realize is that there’s a big difference between fanon and head canon. Fanon is just any crap you decide to make up because fuck the police. Head canon however has some more rigorous standards that must be met. Something qualifies as head canon if and only if it is a plausible theory that helps explain something IN the canon. For example, observe that we seem to have two kinds of alicorns: God tier alicorns (Celestia and Luna) and pleb tier alicorns (Cadance and Twilight). Celestia and Luna are significantly bigger than Cadance and Twilight, they have glowing manes, they’ve been alive for hundreds of years, and they control the freaking heavenly bodies. Like a scientific theory, a head canon explanation would seek to address this observed disparity by positing that, say, Cadance and Twilight simply haven’t reached maturity yet, or Cadance/Twilight and Celestia/Luna are two fundamentally different kinds of beings who both just so happen to both possess wings and horns.

Positing that Vinyl Scratch is dating some OC pony you made up is not supported by canon evidence and therefore is not head canon. It’s fanon. You can have your fanon, and like I told Random, I believe we should be more tolerant with fanon concerning background characters, but it’s unreasonable for you to expect everyone to acquisesce to your personal fanon: I.E. having your OC get pictured with her in the family portrait that we all have to share.

As far as the design is concerned, I actually like the color scheme and cutie mark. Looks classy. Pony maker significantly increases the fail however.

May 18, 2013 at 07:56PM EDT
Quote

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

OH GOD, WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!?

It’s a WIP animation because I’m off my rocker. Also, it’s a JJBA reference still :P


POWAAAAAA

May 18, 2013 at 07:56PM EDT
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:


POWAAAAAA

But seriously, guys, are Twi’ing hard enough yet?

May 18, 2013 at 07:59PM EDT
Quote

You can’t bwame us fo Twi’ing

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 08:15PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 08:14PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

Ooh, an argument! Let’s make it a threeway.

@Random

I agree with Jimmy here that you’re wrong to put Vinyl on the same level as main and secondary characters. I think we should be willing to tolerate a lot more fan wank concerning Vinyl just because she really doesn’t have any canon personality to speak of besides her occupation and what can be inferred from it (DJ, probably a party animal, etc.) Shipping Vinyl with an OC is significantly less annoying than shipping, say, Twilight with an OC because with Twilight, we’re forced to ask “How come this mysterious character is never even mentioned in all the time we see Twi on screen?”

Conflicting with canon is one thing, but when you get annoyed that Vinyl is getting shipped with some OC, you’re really just annoyed that your fanon is getting replaced with his fanon.

@Jimmy

Alright, the thing you need to realize is that there’s a big difference between fanon and head canon. Fanon is just any crap you decide to make up because fuck the police. Head canon however has some more rigorous standards that must be met. Something qualifies as head canon if and only if it is a plausible theory that helps explain something IN the canon. For example, observe that we seem to have two kinds of alicorns: God tier alicorns (Celestia and Luna) and pleb tier alicorns (Cadance and Twilight). Celestia and Luna are significantly bigger than Cadance and Twilight, they have glowing manes, they’ve been alive for hundreds of years, and they control the freaking heavenly bodies. Like a scientific theory, a head canon explanation would seek to address this observed disparity by positing that, say, Cadance and Twilight simply haven’t reached maturity yet, or Cadance/Twilight and Celestia/Luna are two fundamentally different kinds of beings who both just so happen to both possess wings and horns.

Positing that Vinyl Scratch is dating some OC pony you made up is not supported by canon evidence and therefore is not head canon. It’s fanon. You can have your fanon, and like I told Random, I believe we should be more tolerant with fanon concerning background characters, but it’s unreasonable for you to expect everyone to acquisesce to your personal fanon: I.E. having your OC get pictured with her in the family portrait that we all have to share.

As far as the design is concerned, I actually like the color scheme and cutie mark. Looks classy. Pony maker significantly increases the fail however.

Huh. I had always thought headcanon and fanon were the same thing. I’d prefer to call it headcanon, since I’ve used the term since years, but if fanon is the correct one, okay. And I’ve come to accept everybody’s fanon with the “dimensions” concept, so more power to me.

And yeah, I can’t make jumpin’ jack shit without Pony Maker. (Well, to be fair, I did make the cutie mark in Paint.)


Unrelated and it feels so good:


EDIT: The chat? WHERE’S THE CHAT? AYEEEEEAYEAYEAYEYYAAAAAAYEYEEEE

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 08:25PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 08:22PM EDT
Quote

I went out and am still semi-drunk, but this argument is now fresh and I want to reply to it. So there’s a chance I will not fully agree with it tomorrow, but fuck the police.


Jimmy Lethal wrote:

Being born human, Ace actually looks more like a rapper on Earth than in Equestria, where he wears a white T-shirt (with a spade on it, but still), baggy jeans, white high-tops, and occasionally, dog tags and a baseball cap. Also, keep in mind he’s white. That being said, I drew some of his human style from guys like Fred Durst. And what does Fred wear? Yep. Baggy jeans and a baseball cap. The transition to pony form was an attempt to mimic his shirt and shoes’ color scheme.

“Being born human.” Wait, so this is that type of “portal to Equestria” type of OC? Yeah, not even going to bother countering that. Whether this can be considered fanon or headcanon (fuck terminology), the deal that humans can travel to Equestria and magically turn into horsies there is really far fetched. This doesn’t clash with the canon storyline, but it certainly clashes with the logic that applies to the canon (Equestria Girls is not an argument here).

It was impossible of me to be aware of his past as a human. Assuming that it is true, his looks as human are unrelated to his looks as ponei. If you are going to throw a human into Equestria, know that they are two entirely different species. A human suddenly becoming a pony would certainly mind having his junk hanging out. Make some of his past looks come back more to his current.

The lackluster pose stems from my complete inability to actually make a character’s pose on Pony Creator look decent. Because, frankly, most of the time, they look retarded. He also lacks a mic, so I kind of get where you’re going with that.

I dislike anything that creator spews out by default, so be aware of that. If you’re going to use an OC from the creator, go through with it. Put some effort into your OC’s looks and other stuff, instead of doing some shitty creator pony and calling it a day. That is my opinion though, and unrelated to just your OC here.

Remember Cheerilee’s cutie mark? Indirect meaning. Ace’s cutie mark? Indirect meaning. It stems from the fact that he’s an “ace” at rapping. avoids tomatoes His parents were successful casino owners, but aside from being a part-time blackjack dealer, Ace mainly focuses on rapping. That and the fact he’s from Vegas.

throws tomatoes But ok, fair enough, it has a history to his job, I wasn’t aware of this by just the small amount of info you gave me. BUT a cutie mark is related to a pony’s special talent, not his job. His talent is rapping, not blackjack. If being an “ace” at something would be considered a good reason to give a pony an ace cutie mark, we’d have tons of them even within canon.

I’ll go through the relationship thing using Fifths’ points.


Fifths wrote:

I agree with Jimmy here that you’re wrong to put Vinyl on the same level as main and secondary characters. I think we should be willing to tolerate a lot more fan wank concerning Vinyl just because she really doesn’t have any canon personality to speak of besides her occupation and what can be inferred from it (DJ, probably a party animal, etc.) Shipping Vinyl with an OC is significantly less annoying than shipping, say, Twilight with an OC because with Twilight, we’re forced to ask “How come this mysterious character is never even mentioned in all the time we see Twi on screen?”
Conflicting with canon is one thing, but when you get annoyed that Vinyl is getting shipped with some OC, you’re really just annoyed that your fanon is getting replaced with his fanon.

Correct yet incorrect. Given, she nor any possible backstory can’t be considered “canon”, as she simply is still on the levels of background pony. BUT what we have to remember here is that ponies like her and Derpy are widely known within fanon, to the point that specific points to their background are considered correct settings. Be aware here that I don’t have a fanon; what I’m working around here though is Vinyl’s spread and reputation within the majority of the fandom.

He could’ve shipped his OC with any self-created OC he also made (one that actually is a rapper) and make it work out, but instead he chose Vinyl exactly because she is so widely known within the fanon. It can be considered a legit setting (and would it become canon, I won’t give a fuck), but that still makes it a bad case of ego imo.

By the logic you apply here, any OC can be the love interest of Bonbon, regardless of how fanon depicts her in a relationship with Lyra. Hell, by your logic, Vinyl can be a farmer’s daughter who has a dick, only touched a dj table twice in her life (both canon times), stuffs potatoes up her ass because it turns her on, is the sub of a dom donkey, wears glasses because she’s blind, has aids and will die in two weeks, and is actually called Rachel instead of Vinyl. Yet you call her Vinyl here and accept her as a professional Dj who did more than just those two times playing records. Why? Because that’s what the fandom build upon.

Yes, in fanon logic my fucked up setting would’ve been a legit setting. But due to their spread within the fandom, most bronies would place serious question marks behind it and point it out to me, which is what I’m doing here with the way he places his OC. If I suddenly said Derpy hates muffins and instead shoots birds to bake up for dinner, I’m certain both you and Jimmy would question where I got the idea.

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 11:19PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 11:17PM EDT
Quote

@Family photo and background

I feel like we’re going off on a tangent here (A.K.A perfectly normal PG behaviour). I’m hoping to see more OC’s for a family photo but instead we ended up with a “rate the other users OC” discussion

Just to speed things up, how about we cut the critique and just let people make OC’s however they want? They will probably only use it for this one image anyway.

To avoid any disagreements, don’t add a backstory. You don’t need it for the photo. And ensure you follow the good OC guides.

Moving on…I have to say I like this idea for a background. Thanks Lone K

I also like this one. Thank you Fifths


@Ivan

I can’t find it. It’s either posted on one of the older PG’s or one of the old Family Photo Generals. Either one contains way too much post to sift through. They aren’t in Muumi’s gallery either since they were hosted on Imgur or something like that.

Best way to retrieve that old family photo is to summon Muumi from the lurkers depths using a seance. Everyone bring your hands around the table

We are gathered here to call out to the lurker world

 

We summon forth MUUMI to answer our prayers

 

If you are lurking MUUMI, tap the walls three times!

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 11:51PM EDT
May 18, 2013 at 11:49PM EDT
Quote

“By the logic you apply here, any OC can be the love interest of Bonbon, regardless of how fanon depicts her in a relationship with Lyra. Hell, by your logic, Vinyl can be a farmer’s daughter who has a dick, only touched a dj table twice in her life (both canon times), stuffs potatoes up her ass because it turns her on, is the sub of a dom donkey, wears glasses because she’s blind, has aids and will die in two weeks, and is actually called Rachel instead of Vinyl.” Thank yoooooooooou for that, I now have my own personal headcanon about Vinyl Rachel.

You are a great man Randomman.

May 18, 2013 at 11:54PM EDT
Quote

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumiiiiiiiii
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumiiiiiiiii
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumiiiiiiiii

As for my OC, I believe he was actually created in here. He’s not super great, though, so I wouldn’t mind an overhaul.

Doesn’t have a name. Cutie Mark is a whisk because his talent is cooking.

May 18, 2013 at 11:58PM EDT
Quote

@Twilit

I drew that ages ago as a rough draft. It wasn’t meant to be a finished design. I literally just dotted some vectors together and filled it with color. Took me 10 minutes.

It’s definitely due for an overhaul.

May 19, 2013 at 12:06AM EDT
Quote

Oh, for the love of…
I always have to argue with whoever points this out. Lyra and Bonbon AREN’T a canon couple! I will never understand how people ship two ponies just for being seen together, but then again, almost every matched pair has been done already. Seriously, I have no problem if they’re great friends, but I despise people saying Lyra and Bonbon are a canon couple. Does this irritate anyone else, or am I the lone Timber Wolf here?

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 12:38AM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 12:26AM EDT
Quote

RandomMan said:

BUT what we have to remember here is that ponies like her and Derpy are widely known within fanon, to the point that specific points to their background are considered correct settings.

LyraBon is the same, an extremely established fanon concept. Yes, it’s not canon, but it’s so fanon that it’s nearly canon, just like “Vinyl is an Equestria-famous DJ”.

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 12:29AM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 12:28AM EDT
Quote

@Lyra/Bon

Still, even though this is basically how Lyra and Bonbon were originally paired up, they are one of the only ‘couples’ that have been acknowledged in canon.
Now, whether they are ‘in lesbians’ or simply very good friends is obviously left up to each person to decide (cuz Hasbro ain’t touching that), it is at the very least heavily established that the two of them are very close in one way or another.
They aren’t a ‘canon couple’ in terms of romance, but they are absolutely canon… somethings.



@Vinyl dilemma
I’ll say that I’m mostly with Random on this one as, while Vinyl was only the most minimal of characterization in canon, I’ve never been a fan of OC pairings with established characters.
It just feels like an attempt to make the OC seem more important by attaching them to something that everyone already knows, similar to, though less severe than, the ‘daughter of Celestia’ kinds of OCs that pretty much everyone agrees are bad ideas.
I wouldn’t say that I’m ‘opposed’ to OC x Background shipping as I’m really more uncaring in truth, but it certainly keeps me from taking the concept very seriously at first glance.

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 01:14AM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 01:07AM EDT
Quote


As a dictator, I am not even that low.

May 19, 2013 at 03:38AM EDT

Bat Pug wrote:


As a dictator, I am not even that low.

For a second, I thought you meant that you took dictation for a living. Like, if I gave you money you would write down everything I said.

Maybe I should go to bed.

May 19, 2013 at 03:40AM EDT
Quote

Are you guise SRSLY asking the question as to why ponies get shipped? Do you need me to spell it out for ya?

GO home RandomMan you are drunk

@Ben Huh

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 04:01AM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 03:55AM EDT
Quote

@Character Head canon logic dilemma.

Well… It is our freedom to pick whatever head-canon we want… But some are easier to accept than others.

For example, in my “Anything goes” Epic Fantasy AU fic… The general Idea is that most Headcanons are true… Unless they conflict with more popular head-canons.

As such Vinyl Scratch’s lineage makes an equal amount of sense as any other character, but it still makes no sense if you’re only thinking one or two generations back. so you kind of need like… A lot of generations… (Three Generations Minimum.) And Twilight Sparkle’s Lineage will be utterly incomprehensible by the time the shenanigans stop.

(…Vinyl also has a legitimate reason to wear the shades, but she’s not blind.)

However… If it were a more serious fic instead of a cluster of the collective insanity of the internet applied liberally to every aspect… I probably wouldn’t do half of that.

…Because even though cute little ideas like “Vinyl is a Vampire” are cute, nobody should take it too seriously.

(Basically my stories are hints on what not to do if you want you want to be taken seriously. It is not a serious story, any attempts at being serious are promptly turned silly, including a certain Family Reunion 3X combo, with a Future Child 2X combo.)

Edit: Excuse me while I return to my drawing tablet I was being kept from… Being dragged off by my mother to go spend time with her is… Odd… Considering mother’s day was ages ago.

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 05:16AM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 05:12AM EDT
Quote

Platus wrote:

For a second, I thought you meant that you took dictation for a living. Like, if I gave you money you would write down everything I said.

Maybe I should go to bed.

A dictator does it for free.

May 19, 2013 at 06:12AM EDT

Well… After Five hours, half of which may have been fiddling with one section of Hair… I have another attempt for your scrutiny…

This time I’m slightly worried the stomach isn’t round enough, and the rib cage area isn’t broad enough compared to it.

May 19, 2013 at 10:11AM EDT
Quote

@Lunar

I spotted a couple errors.

What I meant when I said that the wings were backwards was that they aren’t bilaterally symetrical, I.E. they don’t match. Flip the right wing so that it looks like one is a mirror reflection of the other.

You did manage to get the dynamic pose right though. You should be proud of that.

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 10:56AM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 10:49AM EDT
Quote

@Fifths

… I think I was Trying to make one wing look like it was angled down while the other was angled up, like she’s slightly rolling her right wing towards the ground, so what you see should be the top of the wing… And now that you mention it… I wasn’t exactly sure I was doing that the right way either. I should have used a bend in the wing or something.

But not sure what you mean by “Bilateral Symmetry”… Is it that The two wings if both pointed upwards should look the same? Yeah… I guess one Line of thought I had screwed that up… (When drawing, I kinda started thinking to make the pose look right I’d need to have the wings at different levels of stretch… It didn’t turn out that way though.)

OH! I think I get it now! It’s like… If one’s angled back, the other should be angled forward? Eh… Complicated terminology…

…As for stomach… You’re saying it should be a continuation of the chest line right? (As opposed to human anatomy.)

(It’s funny that I have to ask for clarification on half the criticisms, so I know what I’m doing.)

You did manage to get the dynamic pose right though. You should be proud of that.

Daw, thanks!

:3

Although I’m more happy by the fact that means I don’t have to do complete redraws now… I just have to make minor alterations via a New Sketch Layer.


Edit: Wait a Second!

“He?”

…?

…Nevermind… Guess that’s not important…

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 12:32PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 12:01PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Lunar

Even better!

I’d comment more and post my OC plans but I’m going to bed. Yet before I do I’m linking this to you all

Fun times in the comment section of that one. Goodnight.

Weird how this guy’s articles never mentions adult women fans or the huge skepticism around the movie, but then again he’d probably consider that to boring for his article. :P

May 19, 2013 at 01:05PM EDT
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

@Character Head canon logic dilemma.

Well… It is our freedom to pick whatever head-canon we want… But some are easier to accept than others.

For example, in my “Anything goes” Epic Fantasy AU fic… The general Idea is that most Headcanons are true… Unless they conflict with more popular head-canons.

As such Vinyl Scratch’s lineage makes an equal amount of sense as any other character, but it still makes no sense if you’re only thinking one or two generations back. so you kind of need like… A lot of generations… (Three Generations Minimum.) And Twilight Sparkle’s Lineage will be utterly incomprehensible by the time the shenanigans stop.

(…Vinyl also has a legitimate reason to wear the shades, but she’s not blind.)

However… If it were a more serious fic instead of a cluster of the collective insanity of the internet applied liberally to every aspect… I probably wouldn’t do half of that.

…Because even though cute little ideas like “Vinyl is a Vampire” are cute, nobody should take it too seriously.

(Basically my stories are hints on what not to do if you want you want to be taken seriously. It is not a serious story, any attempts at being serious are promptly turned silly, including a certain Family Reunion 3X combo, with a Future Child 2X combo.)

Edit: Excuse me while I return to my drawing tablet I was being kept from… Being dragged off by my mother to go spend time with her is… Odd… Considering mother’s day was ages ago.

About Vinyl and the shades, in my headcanon she was born with a disease that made her see photo-negative colors. She only had this as a pony, henceforth, she was required to wear shades to correct her vision. By the time the disease was cured (when she was about four), she kept wearing the shades because they were special to her. This also explains why she doesn’t wear shades as a human – she never had a use for them on Earth. (She occasionally does wear shades of the same color scheme during Earth concerts, like during one in Savannah, GA in 2010, for example.)

Anyway, I absolutely love how I began this whole clusterfuck about OCs. Everybody cool your tits, and let’s just get back to discussing random poni shit.


@Ice:

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 01:14PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 01:13PM EDT
Quote

Um guys… Is there a way to upload a fixed version of an image with minor edits?

Because the fixed version of the image is ready to go up but… Reposting is universally annoying.

(Side note… Still haven’t figured out how to get Asynchronous wings to look right… So I just decided to go with synched wings instead)

Edit: Also… I keep thinking the back bit of the OC’s Hair looks like a Fox… Literally.

Edit 2: F- it, I’ll probably just upload it to Derpi-Booru…

Edit 3:

Just Minor Fixes this time, as suggested by the others.

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 03:12PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 02:42PM EDT
Quote

My vinyl headcanon . . . keeps breaking, because vinyl is too weak a material to be making a cannons out.

(ducks)

Alright, what I figure is that Vinyl is actually a brony in disguise. She has been able to break through the fourth wall and has manifested herself as a DJ with cool hair because why not. The glasses are there as a communication device between her and /mlp/ where she is posting about her adventures.

May 19, 2013 at 02:45PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Lunar

Even better!

I’d comment more and post my OC plans but I’m going to bed. Yet before I do I’m linking this to you all

Fun times in the comment section of that one. Goodnight.

As an average brony, I.E. an avid fetishist who is currently engaged to enter a polygamous marriage with the two plushies Deadparrot got me, both of them Rainbow Dash, I must say that I am very much looking forward to seeing Equestria Girls premiere in theaters this June and traumatizing some little girls. Right now I’m trying to decide whether to dust off my old Rarity S & M outfit or going as Futashy. In any case, I plan to get to the theater extra early so I can find the optimal seat for clopping-oops, I mean fapping-and spraying love juice over the maximum amount of children possible. Any bronies in my theatrical vicinity should contact me so we can make plans for the orgy. I’ll bring the anal beads.

Oh wait…I’m not going to do that. I’m probably just going to wear normal clothes and hope that no one takes notice of a grown man slipping alone into a kid’s movie.

Oh wait…I’m not going to do that. I’m just going to watch the fucker online.

Oh wait…I’m not going to do that because I have no interest in Equestria Girls.

Huh.

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 02:56PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 02:53PM EDT
Quote

Platus wrote:

My vinyl headcanon . . . keeps breaking, because vinyl is too weak a material to be making a cannons out.

(ducks)

Alright, what I figure is that Vinyl is actually a brony in disguise. She has been able to break through the fourth wall and has manifested herself as a DJ with cool hair because why not. The glasses are there as a communication device between her and /mlp/ where she is posting about her adventures.

That’s… new.


New Topic: Pony Theme Songs! Here’s one for Spitfire:

May 19, 2013 at 03:04PM EDT
Quote

Jimmy "Sniper" Lethal wrote:

That’s… new.


New Topic: Pony Theme Songs! Here’s one for Spitfire:

May 19, 2013 at 04:18PM EDT
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

Um guys… Is there a way to upload a fixed version of an image with minor edits?

Because the fixed version of the image is ready to go up but… Reposting is universally annoying.

(Side note… Still haven’t figured out how to get Asynchronous wings to look right… So I just decided to go with synched wings instead)

Edit: Also… I keep thinking the back bit of the OC’s Hair looks like a Fox… Literally.

Edit 2: F- it, I’ll probably just upload it to Derpi-Booru…

Edit 3:

Just Minor Fixes this time, as suggested by the others.

You should rename that take because no one here wants to be reminded of ANYTHING called ‘3.5’ if you know what I mean.

May 19, 2013 at 04:32PM EDT
Quote

Jimmy Lethal wrote:

Anyway, I absolutely love how I began this whole clusterfuck about OCs. Everybody cool your tits, and let’s just get back to discussing random poni shit.

If that is the decision you’re making here, I won’t stop you, as you didn’t ask for this development when you gave us some backstory on your OC, but I will look at this as fleeing from the discussion.

This was started because you felt like shipping your OC with a well established character by the fandom. Although none here don’t look at it similarly as shipping them with a canon character such as the mane 6, various of us have made it clear we look at it likewise but only to a smaller extend. Yes, it is not canon, but such an extremely established fanon concept like the background on Vinyl and Derpy can be considered near-“canon” due to their widespread acceptance amongst the fandom. This makes shipping your OC with them seem like an attempt to make the OC more important by attaching them to something that everyone already knows, in a similar way as mane 6 x OC shipping. Thus looking at it as different cases (even though they are that) is pretty much a bad excuse to force your own headcanon and make your OC seem like more than he is.

We gave arguments, what is your reply? To have a discussion meet its proper end, it’ll require some effort from both sides. we countered your counter-arguments, will you do the same?

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 04:48PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 04:40PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Well, I already offered to make OC’s for the less artistically talented, so If you send a PM with a picture (and a brief description of what you would want your “special talent” to be) Then I would be more than happy to make you a pony!

Speaking of which, I’m gonna give myself a deadline of finishing all these ponysona requests by friday of next week (give or take). I only have a couple shifts of work next week, and I don’t have any social life plans because all my friends are just meeting for the weekend at Anime Boston, so I should have plenty of time to finish any and all requests and have them posted here by friday.

Sorry about the wait, but I have my pictures for you now.







I would like my OC to be a unicorn. Keep the hat and beard. Sunglasses you don’t have to keep.

Color scheme: Gray coat, like my shirt (or like Derpy).

Mane/Tail style: color brown, tail braided like my beard

Gender: Isn’t it obvious?

Cutie mark: Having a hard time deciding. Just make it an hourglass.

Pose: Just a generic pose will do.

Post it here when you’re done. Thank you.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3
Last edited May 19, 2013 at 05:07PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 05:03PM EDT
Quote

It took me quite a while to dig this up from my gallery, but it was still there.

So here you go. The old KYM PG Family Photo. See how many of the people are still here with us.

May 19, 2013 at 05:51PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!