Forums / Discussion / General

168,574 total conversations in 5,399 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9944 posts from 165 users

Crimson Locks wrote:

@Verbose: Seeing as this whole EQG spinoff series seems to be made in France and the show is only airing in France for now I doubt many, if any, of the original FiM crew will be working on it. This could become another story if it has enough success that the show is brought over to the states, but that’s a bridge that I will cross when I come to it.

On top of that, we should be getting a whole bunch of news on it’s English release at SDCC2014. As always, expect us to cover the hell out of that one.

That’s what made me think that it wasn’t only a French thing. Granted, EqD will say some things they can’t confirm, but they did confidently state that news would come from it at ComicCon (and not at some indefinite point in the future at an unspecified place.) I feel like that’s a pretty big claim to make without having some confirmation that there would be an English release.

May 07, 2014 at 12:04AM EDT

Wow, with the season lasting a whole 26 episodes I think it’s a given that we won’t have to wait forever and a half like we had to do with the wait for Season 4.

………

May 07, 2014 at 12:14AM EDT

Already talkin’ next season when you should be talkin’ season finale
WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

May 07, 2014 at 12:20AM EDT

@Season 5
To quote Equestria Daily’s post about the new season’s release date:

Note: As Kryptonlogic points out, this may in fact mean a late 2014 release. They mentioned Season 4 having a 2014 release back when it was first announced too, when it actually started in 2013.
May 07, 2014 at 12:40AM EDT

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

>inb4 somepony robs a bank wearing this mask.

I wonder how close you can get to Ponu with Payday 2’s mask editor?

May 07, 2014 at 04:38AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Cute

>inb4 somepony robs a bank wearing this mask.

It’ll be just like in Saints Row 3!

Twilight wearing a Twilight mask?

May 07, 2014 at 10:56AM EDT

CrashGordon94 wrote:

Twilight wearing a Twilight mask?

Ultra post-modernism. I love it.

May 07, 2014 at 01:28PM EDT

Kewln00b? wrote:

Wow, with the season lasting a whole 26 episodes I think it’s a given that we won’t have to wait forever and a half like we had to do with the wait for Season 4.

………

Seven months ain’t shit.

May 07, 2014 at 03:58PM EDT

Let’s put a smile on that face

Last edited May 07, 2014 at 04:16PM EDT
May 07, 2014 at 04:11PM EDT

Kewln00b? wrote:

………

Rest in space season 4 it was fun while the ride lasted. Now im going to figure out what im gonna do for 7 months

May 07, 2014 at 06:33PM EDT

Last post today. Test starts at 2 hours after I post this. Good thing it’s just physics, something I’m more used to.

And also,

SEASON 5 IN 2015?!

7 FUCKING MONTHS?!?!

Last edited May 07, 2014 at 07:33PM EDT
May 07, 2014 at 07:29PM EDT

Not Caramel wrote:

@Season 5
To quote Equestria Daily’s post about the new season’s release date:

Note: As Kryptonlogic points out, this may in fact mean a late 2014 release. They mentioned Season 4 having a 2014 release back when it was first announced too, when it actually started in 2013.

Requoting for Jimmy and XTR09.

May 07, 2014 at 07:44PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

That’s kinda understood, yeah.

But it speaks volumes to the show’s progression and what that means for the main show.

• First, the movies must be doing well enough to merit their own series. That could mean a shift from MLP:FiM
  • Or it may mean other differences. For example, the cast and staff have other interests. I’m not really sure if they’d want to work on something FiM-related all of the time. During the break (or the time they get off during the time we associate with droughts,) they may have the chance to pursue other interests and shows. If there are two different series which are essentially the same, then that probably means that the crew will have to work twice as hard to maintain two shows…or the shows will have different staffs in terms of writers.

That is to say, Ashleigh Ball may only voice Applejack and Rainbow Dash in one series or the other, but not both, because she has a band to keep up with.

#1: I think the fact that we got a sequel to the first movie pretty much shows that EqG has had some measurable level of success to make the bigwigs throw more behind it.
I wasn’t expecting a full-fledged series to come out of it, but maybe it did even better than what I thought.
Whatever the case, ‘vanilla’ MLP is clearly what started it all and is what continues to be really raking in the dough for Hasbro (according to the numbers I’ve seen from time to time).
I don’t expect them to be attempting to diverge from ponies any time soon; they are just tryng to capitalize on that success in as many ways as possible.
As I recall, they recently announced that FiM is up for at least 5 more seasons right now.

#2: The cast and crew definitely do have other interests (and I remember a few animators saying that EqG was a refreshing change of pace), but that doesn’t necessarily mean too much.
For your Ashleigh Ball example, she’s already working on two different shows (MLP and Littlest Pet Shop) and she seems to manage that just fine while still having plenty of time for her band.
The thing about animation is that, except for the animators, work is pretty spread out a lot of the time.
Recording one 22 minute episode of pony tends to take one day of recording, maybe two if there is a song.
So that’s basically 26 – 50 (being generous) days of work per season for a VA.
It isn’t really sucking up a lot of time for them which is precisely why most VAs work on multiple projects at the same time.
I’m not saying that potentially adding a new show to that mix won’t cause any scheduling issues, but it really wouldn’t be too difficult to have the same VA cast for both.
Even most of the writers, being largely freelancers, could have little issue working on either or both series.
The only people who pretty much would need to be on one or the other would be the actual animators as they are the ones doing the heavy grunt work, but that’s why they employ whole studios of dedicated animators.

Long story short, while I too am unsure about this new series, I don’t have any real expectations that it will negatively effect FiM, at least in terms of overworking the production team.
Now if you start going into the concept of upper management trying to get overly involved in the creative side of things, then there may be something there, but that has admittedly been happening in the series as it is anyway.

@Bald Ponies
While I still find them pretty creepy, I do like that they are putting the effort forward to reach out to kids in some of the worst situations.
Plus they can raise awareness for cancer patients while simultaneously feeding the hungry!
Two birds, one stone!

Yum!

@Finale
Oh, this is gonna be good…

… except that I’ll be out of town starting tomorrow.
Hopefully I’ll have internet access and be able to at least watch it, but I doubt I’ll be able to get on here and talk much until Monday.
Have fun, all!

May 07, 2014 at 09:16PM EDT

@Animation VAs

It just occurred to me that if you can become one of the lucky few that makes a high per-episode fee (not even as high as the $300,000 per episode the cast of The Simpsons makes) you could have a pretty chill life – work for only a month, make enough to pay for the entire year.

I mean, it’s phenomenally unlikely to happen, but still – think about what you could do with all that free time.

Here’s a pony:

May 07, 2014 at 09:41PM EDT

@Voice Actor’s work year. How do you guys think Tara Strong can be in everything? Simple actually, she has her own recording studio in her home. She records dialogue right in her house and sends out the voices. MUCH easier than say traveling across the world, sitting in make up for a few hours, stand around on set while the Director and crew set up a scene for a few months. It’s why they always say that Voice Acting is the Easiest Hard Job as it’s difficult like any other job out there in the entertainment business, but man is it convenient as all hell.

If I ever got into any Acting job I’d rather be a Voice Actor, Well I wouldn’t be someone like Tom Kenny or Tara Strong who have Range. I’d be that guy with the one voice for every character.

May 08, 2014 at 12:20AM EDT

@XTR09: Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction to seeing how long the gap is going to be between Seasons 4 and 5.

7 months, that’s a pretty damn long time.

May 08, 2014 at 02:16AM EDT

Kewln00b? wrote:

@Voice Actor’s work year. How do you guys think Tara Strong can be in everything? Simple actually, she has her own recording studio in her home. She records dialogue right in her house and sends out the voices. MUCH easier than say traveling across the world, sitting in make up for a few hours, stand around on set while the Director and crew set up a scene for a few months. It’s why they always say that Voice Acting is the Easiest Hard Job as it’s difficult like any other job out there in the entertainment business, but man is it convenient as all hell.

If I ever got into any Acting job I’d rather be a Voice Actor, Well I wouldn’t be someone like Tom Kenny or Tara Strong who have Range. I’d be that guy with the one voice for every character.

I can imagine it now…

Generic Voice Actor… and all you have to show for it is an injured leg.

Seriously, if you can come up with a go to catchphrase like that one, I would praise you. The question is… what would it be?

May 08, 2014 at 04:39AM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

Screw Equestria Girls and its portion of the ride I refuse to join, let’s have some season finale hype!

We’ve waited for it for four years…

We wondered if Hasbro still owned the trademark…

We wrote fanfics about it…

Tirek confirmed for canon.

Whoa! How did I miss that? (I have flash disabled on this site, that’s why.)

THAT was amazing! Just over 24 hours left! I can’t wait! Dis gunna be good!

Also, anyone know what the rating for the show normally is? Inb4 they have to bump it up to TV-Y7-FV because of awesomeness. (like they would ever make it that bad though.)

May 08, 2014 at 05:56AM EDT

48. I got confused with my days. Usually happens when I’m out of school, but dmn! I’ve been out for less than 18 hours! xD

May 08, 2014 at 10:06AM EDT

Man, just watching last week’s episode just makes me feel more disappointed every time. I mean except for the scene I actually wanted to turn off just so I wouldn’t see the ultimate form of Cringe from Spike I just feel that this episode was disappointing. Not bad, just a let down. For once we get a continuing storyline that takes place over TWO seasons (well…..three episodes and Season 4) only for it to focus on Stage fright which they’ve already tackled quite a few times. It’s like if they focused all that time on The Grand Galloping Gala only for the Gala episode to focus on Spike at the Doughnut shop talking about how he felt abandoned by his friends while getting drunk off doughnuts.

I know you can’t do much with an episode based off the Pony Olympics but if you’re going to focus on setting up the Pony Olympics since LAST SEASON don’t just make the episode about Spike’s problem to light the torch and just making a fool of himself the whole episode.

May 09, 2014 at 12:45PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

WE HASBRO NOW

Look forward to my executive producer credit in Season 5.

Try to get them to make Applejack an Alicorn.

May 09, 2014 at 04:11PM EDT

Kewln00b? wrote:

Larson will probably do that on his own without any coaxing.

May 09, 2014 at 04:21PM EDT

>history test today
>sneaking into kym for the last time
>text book:

I basically have to swallow the entire book just to finish the test. Whelp, hope I can get over the cold turkey again. Hopefully

May 09, 2014 at 07:34PM EDT

@Animation VAs
Yeah, and there’s the second reason why VAs take on so many projects.
Since ‘voice actor’ and ‘famous’ so rarely go together, most of them really don’t make all that much.
You pretty much have to hop from job to job just to pay the bills! especially since many jobs are very temporary.
Getting a long running series is a dream because it provides some unusual stability.
And having a big range is how you get more jobs so it all fits together.
(You can get around range by having something really unique like Frank Welker’s ridiculous ability to imitate any animal… though he also has a huge range, too.)

The only people who are able to get into voice acting with only one voice are the people who are already celebrities beforehand like all the actors who wind up voicing animated movies.
Those people are sort of the bane of full-time VAs because they grab jobs based more on fame than real talent with a microphone, and then they make more money doing it, too.

Those Simpsons guys, though…
Yeah, they hit the proverbial jackpot.

Kewl said:

He’ll do it!
He’s already done worse!

Wait, did I say ‘worse?’
I meant ‘so much better!’

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 01:04AM EDT
May 10, 2014 at 01:02AM EDT

Ooo, I’m looking at the guest list for Dallas Comic Con, and I notice one among the list of people I want to see.

Seems like John de Lancie is going to be there. So many people to see, but that one stands out for obvious reasons, though Christopher Lloyd and Robert Englund are also people I want to see.

May 10, 2014 at 01:32AM EDT

@Burning_Phoneix

First of all, what’s this show called My Little Corgi and where can I buy all seasons of it?

Secondly as Executive Producer of season 5, do you have any intention of giving Derpy more lines?

May 10, 2014 at 01:44AM EDT

Guys, I made my first Source Filmmaker video and it features best pony. Be sure to give me all your constructive criticisms and say how much you liked it!!1SHIFT+ONE

May 10, 2014 at 01:58AM EDT

Hey guys, I know I don’t normally post on the KYM forums (I hang out in the image galleries pretty much exclusively), but I felt like this was a better place to pose the following question I had. It might sound like a negative rant at first but just hear me out, I’m actually going somewhere with this.

So, about a day ago, this image was uploaded:

A very tired and predictable joke which received an equally predictable response: upvoted comments of “so true”, and “I’ll get the popcorn”, and “I’m laughing my ass off that those guys who thought Twilicorn would make the show shit”; while the one comment from a brave guy saying he simply doesn’t enjoy the show so much anymore got downvoted.

I see these kinds of images (mocking Twilicorn “naysayers”) uploaded all the time, and they always seem to get a very positive response.

All I want to ask is, how many of you people have honestly, truly seen people dramatically proclaiming that they’re leaving the fandom? I can think of maybe one such post that wasn’t being ironic.

There seems to be this very pervasive stereotype that all people who are not fans of Twilicorn (I. E. “Twilicorn Naysayers”) are doomsinging drama queens that whine and cry about every little thing. Yet in my experience, there is very little actual drama that isn’t exhibited in an ironic fashion.

I just want you guys’ opinion on the matter. Am I the only one who thinks it’s a bit much? Am I the only one who wishes people would stop with the mocking of fans who dislike Twilicorn?

And yes, for the record, I didn’t like Twilicorn, and still don’t like Twilicorn. I stick around mainly for the fan content (fanart, fanfics, etc.). However, my opinion of the show isn’t the point of this post. Please don’t downvote me just because of that.

Tl;dr: The notion that Twilicorn Naysayers sing doom and overreact about everything is itself a windmill that everyone seems to treat like a widespread thing, when it doesn’t actually exist in any substantial way. Everyone is perpetuating a joke about people who don’t exist, or who have been heavily exaggerated.

Thank you for your time, sorry for the ranty post. For reading the entire thing, here’s some cute dancing ponies:

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 03:13AM EDT
May 10, 2014 at 03:03AM EDT

So at first Twi’s pad was like:

…then it was like…

All in all, 9.1/10 for this one. And the season overall? That was the greatest season ever. IT WAS BETTER THAN SEASON 2.

May 10, 2014 at 11:02AM EDT

And now the long ass hiatus begins. Though giving that Season 5 starts in 2015, I hope I get my hover boards and flying cars to go with it.

May 10, 2014 at 11:04AM EDT

The second part of the final episode of Seasone 4 made me miss Fighting is Magic so much!

May 10, 2014 at 11:05AM EDT

Espurr wrote:

The second part of the final episode of Seasone 4 made me miss Fighting is Magic so much!

Fighting is Magic Tribute Edition is still a thing, you know.

May 10, 2014 at 11:11AM EDT

Oh gawd. That was awesome, but I missed the first half of the second part. I was tethering using my phone and the connection dropped out. Still cool. Also, Magic Rainbow Powered Treehouses!

May 10, 2014 at 11:20AM EDT

You know what I liked about this 2 Parter? It was paced. When it got to the rushed ending it didn’t feel as rushed as say Return of Harmony, Canterlot Wedding and the INCREDIBLY rushed ending of Crystal Empire but we all like to try and forget that Two Parter amirite? Definitely up there with the Canterlot Wedding when it comes to the finales, but then again it’s not hard to beat Magical Mystery Cure amirite? Yeah those last ten minutes were basically “Lol you lose, oh here Twilight have my magical key, lol now we’re super saiyans, lol goodbye Tirek, lol Princess of Friendship and Castle!, Time to sing! CAMEOS!” Also, let’s talk about Tirek. A G1 villain rebooted for G4, he definitely works well in FiM’s thing of “Well we’re not the average Girl’s show, we can handle this guy” although I can definitely see the Soccer moms complaining about Tirek being “Too Scary”. I can see this hate mail now.

“Dear Hasbro, my daughter was watching the season finale of My Little Pony today and I have to say she was scared to death of that new villain you made! Yeah she didn’t look like she was effected by it and her eyes were glued to the screen every time he was on screen but I know she was scared! Also, why did you focus the camera on that retarded pony I complained about years ago? I THOUGHT WE HAD A DEAL! Sincerely yours, Angry Mother.”

Another thing I like is the fact that in the end Twilight’s friends are getting a seat of power with her, something everyone were saying that they wouldn’t get. Welp, they got it lol. Also, time to go to /mlp/ and laugh at those guys who thought the whole Rainbow Power thing was going to be a permanent change and not just a temporary transformation when they need it which would (like always) “Kill the show”.

“And the season overall? That was the greatest season ever. IT WAS BETTER THAN SEASON 2.” Ehh I don’t know Jimmy, I will say however it was as good as Season 2. I just don’t know what happened with Season 3, when I look back at it I just…..I don’t know, I liked Season 3 at first but now when I look back at it it just feels like a complete downgrade. So I’m glad Season 3 will just be looked back at as ‘The weaker season’ like most shows that run long have and not “The Beginning of the end”. Thank you Hub for not somehow making Season 4 just as meh or worse than Season 3.

Now if you excuse me I’ll be waiting for 2015, Hoverboards, flying cars and My Little Pony season 5.

May 10, 2014 at 11:30AM EDT

The finale. What are the right words to describe such awesomeness? I was left speechless, that’s for sure, a reason why I enjoyed both parts very much. It felt like if I was watching a movie, but of course, the animation quality reached the tip of the mountain… and it’s going to surpass it for the next season.

Now, as for how G1’s legacy, my mind was blown after a certain character from the pilot was mentioned, besides the villain.

Scorpan. The creature that looks like a hybrid between a gargoyle and a werewolf

Reminds me when I decided to gave a look at the First Generation. I watched it in its entirey through December. I wasn’t disappointed by the mythology and the characters I was introduced. There were some episodes that made me cringe though, but overall, G1 is marvelous.

May 10, 2014 at 11:38AM EDT

Necromagenvion wrote:

The finale. What are the right words to describe such awesomeness? I was left speechless, that’s for sure, a reason why I enjoyed both parts very much. It felt like if I was watching a movie, but of course, the animation quality reached the tip of the mountain… and it’s going to surpass it for the next season.

Now, as for how G1’s legacy, my mind was blown after a certain character from the pilot was mentioned, besides the villain.

Scorpan. The creature that looks like a hybrid between a gargoyle and a werewolf

Reminds me when I decided to gave a look at the First Generation. I watched it in its entirey through December. I wasn’t disappointed by the mythology and the characters I was introduced. There were some episodes that made me cringe though, but overall, G1 is marvelous.

Funny enough, the actual creator of the MLP franchise wanted it to be for both genders, and the original special where Tirek was shown kinda shows that.

Of course Hasbro had to stick their noses in and it took up till now to get that both gender thing up to par.

May 10, 2014 at 11:47AM EDT

Of course Hasbro had to stick their noses in and it took up till now to get that both gender thing up to par.

“Rainbow Power” & “Equestria Girls”

Yeah, we’re still not there yet. No matter how hard the writers try Hasbro always has something else up their sleeve for marketing.

May 10, 2014 at 11:53AM EDT

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

“Rainbow Power” & “Equestria Girls”

Yeah, we’re still not there yet. No matter how hard the writers try Hasbro always has something else up their sleeve for marketing.

Maybe so, but it could still be worse as Gen 4 could’ve still been the entire marketing that the franchise has been up to this point.

They’re using parts of Gen 4 for marketing instead of using the whole thing like they did with previous generations.

May 10, 2014 at 11:55AM EDT

The scene where Fluttershy starts crying when she discovers Discord’s betrayal was sad. In fact, did anyone make a gifs or take a screenshot of it?

May 10, 2014 at 11:56AM EDT

Necromagenvion wrote:

Oh yeah, that’s exactly what I wanted to say in my post. THIS should’ve been the movie played in theaters, you telling me this episode couldn’t have made use of another 10-20 minutes? It does feel a little weird knowing that this is just another Two Parter where Equestria Girls got a theatrical release.

Oh and I forgot, LUNA SINGING

It was a nice song.

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 12:04PM EDT
May 10, 2014 at 11:57AM EDT

@Kewln00bs: 10-20 minutes you say? Sounds like it’s time for more song!!!

Edit: Let’s have the new song and the new Rainbow Rocks short while we’re at it!

Last edited May 10, 2014 at 12:34PM EDT
May 10, 2014 at 12:05PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!