Forums / Discussion / General

171,294 total conversations in 5,615 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9943 posts from 165 users

Hey guys, I wrote a story

So, who here is sick of that Deadparrot bragging about that Scootaloo story he wrote like forever ago getting on EQD? I know I sure was! That’s why I decided to write my own Scootaloo story, but with FLYING, and ADVENTURE…in fact, you know what, forget the Scootaloo! This is a story about Rainbow freakin’ Dash!

Synopsis: The Wonderbolts may be the greatest fliers in Equestria, but overseas in the griffin lands, aviation has become all but synonymous with the name of Gerard Goldenwings. Word gets out that the living legend is vacationing in Equestria and rumor has it he may be looking to take on an apprentice. Rainbow Dash is eager to meet him and prove herself worthy of his tutelage, but she must first perform one simple task: Catching a certain bird.

I was going to wait and see if I could get this bad boy on EQD before showing it to you guys, but they’re really backed up at the moment, and it’s going to be a couple weeks before they can get back to me, so what the hell. I wrote this story in an attempt to see how well I could mimic the style, formatting, and tone of an actual mlp episode, and I think it came out pretty nicely. So, if you’re looking for something to help tide you over for the long inter-season episode drought, give Like a Pegasus in a Pottery Shop a shot.

Haha, how do you like that Deadparrot, you arrogant schmuck!!!

(Special thanks to Deadparrot for the significant contributions he made during the planning, writing, and editing phases.)

Last edited May 28, 2013 at 08:57PM EDT
May 28, 2013 at 08:44PM EDT
Quote

@xTSGx: The “There’s no more symmetry” argument is easily the stupidest argument against Twilycorn that I have heard so far. I can at least understand fans being standoffish about the concept because people are creatures of habit that don’t like change, and change could equal the end of anything good coming from the show, but for god’s sake if you’re gonna get uppity about something as trivial as symmetry maybe a show about colorful ponies is too mature for you.

May 28, 2013 at 09:09PM EDT
Quote

The problem with the “symmetry” argument is that they seem to want to force balance to equaling harmony. They think that since there is one less unicorn, harmony is no longer in balance and there must be something to even the missing link. However, that is not how the balance works with harmony. For there to be harmony, there must be chaos. There are going to be forces that will disrupt harmony: Chrysalis and the changelings are still alive, Discord openly stated that he will be good “most of the time”, and there are forces that may have not been explored outside the current realm of Equestria that could cause the construct of chaos.

The other thing that the “symmetry” arguments also keep forgetting is the in show lore that has been established by the characters: Six ponies who were destined to be friends. The lore that the Elements of Harmony are composed of five known elements and one unknown. Twilight cutie mark represents Magic and the five other elements, her friends, and if you pay attention to the first rainbow blast, her five friends are in relative position to the respective stars on her cutie mark. To say there is an imbalance is to miss the depth of what the show is, friendship is not about one’s looks, it’s about one’s action and showing a comprehension of how Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, and Loyalty work together create the Magic.

At least that’s how I see things.

May 28, 2013 at 09:50PM EDT
Quote

Wait….what’s with this no symmetry argument? Is that the one where the idiots I mean the overly passionate fanboys I mean…….fuck it, the overly passionate fanboys hate Twilicorn because, ahem “OMG NOW THERE’S ONLY ONE UNICORN IN THE GROUP! TWILICORN IS THE NEW HITLER!!!” Yeah umm, that’s a HORRIBLE argument, more of a nitpick kinda like how I thought Season 3 was inferior because it didn’t have enough “Eyups” in it. Now you know what they say about Nitpicking, it’s like when you try to defend your favorite singer and the only defense you can think of is “But they’re super rich and you’re just jealous” it just reeks of bullshit. Now I’ve seen some GOOD Anti-Twilicorn arguments but when you have to resort to “But now there’s only ONE unicorn! The SHOW IS RUINED FOREVER” you need to stop right there, especially since I’m pretty damn sure most people’s reasons for watching this show wasn’t the fact that “Oh look, This show has two Earth Ponies, Two Pegasi and two Unicorns. THIS IS THE GREATEST SHOW EVER!”

God I fucking hate that argument….I have OCD and I’ve never had a problem with that. I always make sure to stop reading Anti-Twilicorn posts at ‘Well now there’s only one Unicorn’. I wonder if they would’ve brought up this ‘argument’ if they kept Pinkie Pie (I mean, Surprise) as a Pegasus.

May 28, 2013 at 10:43PM EDT
Quote

@Vazquez

That’s because they didn’t do it…

THE WAY WE WANTED IT DONE!!!!! BAWWWWWWWWWWWWW! TANTRUM!

Haha, I’m just kidding. But seriously TSG hit the nail on the head: Fanon and Canon are very different things and just because these things appeared in Fanon, does not mean people wanted them to appear in Canon.

In Fanon, Pinkie Pie is a psychotic mass murder, Rarity is a dominatrix queen, Berry Punch is a raving alcoholic, Applejack can sure eat a lot of apples and drop the F bomb just as much, Fluttershy is a dragon in Skyrim, Celestia is a child molester, Luna is a video game addict and every last one of them are all in lesbians with each other

Do we want any one of those canon? No, shitstorms would ensue on levels very much equal to Twilicorn. We don’t have shitstorms over them in Fanon is because they don’t apply and can be ignored by those who don’t like it. But as soon as they enter canon, they can no longer be ignored.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 12:05AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 12:03AM EDT
Quote

Derpy SJW wrote:

the fandom in a nutshell

I call and raise:

And to the picture above, I think xTSGx already hit on the primary problems with that argument.
Popularity in fandom does not equate to something being a good idea for canon.
Hell, if we wanted to change the show to more accurately reflect popular trends in the fandom, Equestria would have been nuked a while back and Pinkie would be on trial for murder (with all the ponies of Ponyville lamenting the loss of ‘the rainbow-colored town bicycle’).
Except Big Mac and Caramel, of course.
Yeah, fanon is fanon for a reason.
Obviously, I in no way mean to imply that all fan creations would be horrible if incorporated into canon, but the argument presented has far too many counter-arguments to be considered even close to valid.


@Hasbro’s in it for the money
(Apparently, I’m just going to be extrapolating all of xTSGx’s arguements today.)
Yeah, xTSGx hit it just right on the negative end.
No, Hasbro is not marketing these toys toward us, but that does not mean that criticisms are pointless or unwarranted.
When talking to a corporation, our loudest voice lies in our wallets and bad toy sales should get the message across.
That said, it isn’t exactly clear just how much of Hasbro’s revenue can be attributed to bronies so maybe the loss is considered negligible, but from a pure business standpoint, there should be an effort to go after every conceivably obtainable dollar.
Bronies were certainly unexpected at first, but it is also clear that Hasbro has taken note of what we like and has made solid attempts at providing those types of things (accurate toys, collectables, comics, etc.).
This allows us to speak with our wallets in a positive direction.
Buy the things that deserve to be bought because they have some actual quality.
If we accept the (pretty dubious) argument that little girls won’t care, then they will essentially be buying no matter what.
Making toys that appeal to more than their target audience could vastly expand their consumer base.


@ Fifths’ My Story
Hey, everybody!
Go read the story at the top of the page and tell us what you think!

(Just remember that I put in all the good bits! Eeeeeheeeheeeheee!)


Now if you will excuse me, my dinner is getting cold and my guest will be none to happy with my further absence.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 12:10AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 12:08AM EDT
Quote

I had dinner with Scootaloo once, we went to Popeyes, she thought I was just trying to make another Scootaloo is a chicken joke and all the people at Popeyes thought I was talking to myself even though I was CLEARLY talking to Scootaloo.

Also I don’t think those Tulpa lessons are paying off. I’ve had 0 results.

May 29, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
Quote

Still Erin wrote:


Hey guys, I had to get my computer fixed so it’s been a while since I’ve been able to get online. So what’s new in ponydoOH MY GOD.

WHAT? HOW? ZUUUH? How could anyone look at those and say they’re OK? It’s like they went out of their way to make them so fucking scary they’d make H.P. Lovecraft wet the bed! I’m just fucking astonished.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 01:50AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 12:45AM EDT
Quote

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

Was going to go to bed until I saw this gif and decided to share it with ya.

Jifs are fun.

OH NOM NOM NOM

May 29, 2013 at 03:47AM EDT
Quote

Not trolling but I can’t really understand how can a group of people like small little ponies so much.

May 29, 2013 at 05:22AM EDT

@Fifths
I just finished reading it, and it was a lovely little story. I don’t read much fanfiction anymore, but I might have to try to get back into it so tha- waitaminute.
Something is missing… OH! I know!
A comically harsh, over-the-top critique which rips your hard work appart in an unbeliveable and not-at-all serious manner! Isn’t that normally your job Fifths? Oh well, looks like I’ll be taking over for a bit.
ahem

This was quite possibly the most painful thing I’ve ever struggled to read through. It was like swallowing condoms full of cocain before going on a long twelve hour plane ride: I knew from the very start that there was no way it was going to end without pain. There were so many things wrong with that thing you so proudly call a “story” that it makes the plot of “Double Rainboom” seem like “A Clockwork Orange.”

The first rupture in the cocain-condoms was when I read the first line Rainbow Dash came in and freaking destroyed Twilight’s home. Seriously, I don’t know what show you got that character from, because it certainly wasn’t MLP. It sickens me that someone would interperate her character as someone that would gleefully tear apart someone’s house for their own selfish needs. You say you want to mimic the show and then you serve up a flanderization like that? You go against everything Queen Faust intended.

Also, what was with the language style? Did you hit yourself over the head with a thesaurus before typing? Because it shows.

Then came in that horrible Mary-Sue character, Gordan Griffinwings or whatever. He ticked all the lazy writing boxes. Different race, accent, rare and exotic pets, rich but generous, everybody loves him. You might as well have made him wear a big sticker on his head that said “THIS CHARACTER IS THE AUTHOR AND HE IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!”

That bit with Applejack and the rope couldn’t have been more predictable if you tried. “Oh look, I thought I grabbed the bird but I ACTUALLY grabbed Rainbow by mistake!” All that was missing was the loser horns.

There was blatent use of sexual imagery in order to hook in more readers. Most notable was the part where Rainbow Dash was “piercing” her “screwdriver” into a “can” she had between her legs. Real mature, asshole.

The condoms fully split open with that ending though. Fluttershy saves the day once again, huh? Every way but her way is wrong, huh? If she’s so perfect then why don’t you just make her a cancer-curing alicorn and call it a day? It’ll be quicker and less painful for the rest of us.

Also, who did the editing? That guy obviously has the skillz to be checking movie scripts, so he must be a real loser to be wasting his talent on a pleb fanfiction like this.

FINAL VERDICT: 8.5/10, literally unreadable. Go back to recording my Slim Shady parody, rapping slave. R@1nb0_D@$h_4_life~

(Seriously though, it was great. I can’t wait to see more from you).

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 05:34AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 05:29AM EDT
Quote

Still Erin wrote:


That’s it, I’m gonna push my ‘Ignore forever’ button hidden in a really concealed area on my body.

May 29, 2013 at 06:13AM EDT
Quote

wn12345 wrote:

Not trolling but I can’t really understand how can a group of people like small little ponies so much.


Totally trolling. If you did this unintentionally, stop now before you anger the mods. If you did this with an obvious intent to troll…


Everyone remember that one user who posted something almost exactly like that (saying Twilight was black and goth) and got banned? Steer clear of doing that, newbie, or the mods will undoubtedly do the same to you. Watch the show, then post on here.

May 29, 2013 at 06:14AM EDT
Quote

Laud Piestrings wrote:


Totally trolling. If you did this unintentionally, stop now before you anger the mods. If you did this with an obvious intent to troll…


Everyone remember that one user who posted something almost exactly like that (saying Twilight was black and goth) and got banned? Steer clear of doing that, newbie, or the mods will undoubtedly do the same to you. Watch the show, then post on here.

I didn’t intend to troll, I’ll stop derailing this thread though from whatever you guys are discussing about.

May 29, 2013 at 06:17AM EDT

I feel so loved.

@Deadparrot222
You know what they say, great minds think alike.

@wn12345 said:

Not trolling but I can’t really understand how can a group of people like small little ponies so much.

The same way a group of people can like a game/anime series devoted to capturing small, adorable creatures and training them. Or the same way a group of people can enjoy shows like Darkwing Duck, Powerpuff Girls, or Talespin. Don’t look at it just as “small little ponies,” look at it as a show that has excellent writing, humor, and characters and just so happens to have ponies as well.

@Fifths
As long as we’re pimping out our stories. Of course, I’ll never let this anywhere near EQD. It sucks.

May 29, 2013 at 06:50AM EDT
Quote

We’re posting fanfictions now?
I honestly would post mine; however, they’re not finished, and I update them on a weekly basis. Maybe when I finish them, I’ll post them up, but until then, they’re a work in progress.
Speaking of work in progress, I saw an amazing MLP comic called the Dog Green Sector…

but it was never continued…

which is why I don’t post my chapters too often yet not too late either. Gives me plenty of time to write each chapter without feeling lazy or rushed.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 07:06AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 06:58AM EDT
Quote

I’ve tried to write fanfiction, but I quickly lose inspiration on continuing work. Heck, the one I wrote is barely on chapter 5 and it’s been a month since I’ve touched it.
Also,

May 29, 2013 at 08:37AM EDT
Quote

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

Was going to go to bed until I saw this gif and decided to share it with ya.

Jifs are fun.


@wn12345

Really, most of us probably felt the same way as you at one point in the past because it is unusual when you think about from an outside perspective.
Give the show a try sometime and you might see that it is the characterization, the writing, the art, the music, ect. that people are latching onto most of all.
The fact that they are ‘little horses’ certainly is a factor in there, but I think I’m safe in saying that it is lower in importance than the other things I listed for just about everyone.
It’s just a well-made show that happens to be about ponies.
Don’t really need to explain it much more than that.


@mark

Whoa there, boyo!
This guy came in specifically saying that he had no intention to troll and nothing that he said was particularly hostile or inappropriate.
At the very least, please give people the benefit of the doubt before assuming that you know their intentions or putting them ‘on notice.’
Being knee-deep in the fandom can sometimes make us forget how truly odd it must look to the uninitiated so you should not be insulted by some initial confusion.
Making your first interaction with a new person a hostile one will not leave anything close to a good impression.


@Stunthead

(Glad you had fun!)

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 10:07AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 10:05AM EDT
Quote

@Twilight Sparkle eating bird and Pinkie Pie eating mouse

Pinkie Pie eating bird.

May 29, 2013 at 11:16AM EDT
Quote

vintiezre wrote:

I’ve tried to write fanfiction, but I quickly lose inspiration on continuing work. Heck, the one I wrote is barely on chapter 5 and it’s been a month since I’ve touched it.
Also,

What a coincidence… I only just remembered I’ve been putting off writing Chapter 5 of a fan Fic that makes no sense and is utterly insane even though all the characters seem to be going out of their way to make sense of it and are failing to explain it to each other.

…So I decided to start writing said chapter like… What… An hour ago?

…I had no idea what to use for chapter 5… So I’m just compiling a bunch of “Deleted Scenes” and throwing them together… Then have all the characters make sense of this mess themselves in some group meeting… When some of them have been out of the loop.

Screw linear Narrative.

Needless to say… Two of those scenes so far are characters interacting with alternate versions of themselves… And one where Rarity talks to her Half Dragon Daughter from an alternate Future.

…And in those two lines of explanation I have now brought on the extreme urge to yell at past present and future me for writing this Fic… Its like…

WHAT IS THIS?!

…Just… Give me a few hours… I’ll be back with something resembling a chapter by then.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 11:23AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 11:22AM EDT
Quote

@Why ponies are awesome.
Umm…..why do people keep asking this? I mean it’s not like there’s some hidden messages or some code to enjoy My Little Pony. It’s just that, liking the new My Little Pony show…..it’s just that.

@Fanfictions
I should be writing my Mary Sue Fanfic parody. buuuuuut I do enjoy this Minecraft.

May 29, 2013 at 11:36AM EDT
Quote

wn12345 wrote:

Not trolling but I can’t really understand how can a group of people like small little ponies so much.

For the record, you have not angered the mods. Despite some claims

As for your question, well it is valid but it can be summed up very easily: Because we can

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 11:51AM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 11:50AM EDT
Quote

@Fifths story

Great story, man. It was so good that I completely forgot you where the one who wrote it. Seriously, you blackmailed DeadParrot into giving you one of his stories didn’t you? DIDN’T YOU? Anyway, I don’t read alot of fanfics, but I enjoyed reading that one. 10/10 Would jack-off non-sexually.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 12:50PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 12:50PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

For the record, you have not angered the mods. Despite some claims

As for your question, well it is valid but it can be summed up very easily: Because we can

I don’t know about you Blue Screen, but my johnsons are thoroughly shaken.


@wn12345

Why do people like things? It can’t be answered, we don’t fully know. There is just something about it that can appeal to people. Perhaps we just want to relive our childhood in a creepy way. Simply because something is written as “childish” by the masses, doesn’t mean that it’s the law those of an older age aren’t allowed to like it. Something to the show appeals to people, let this be the charcters, story, or art; something that allows them to look past age- and gender norms. What that is varies, but can only be understood by those that watch it.


@Markhoax

DP already said it, but please don’t jump to conclusions on posts like that. Asking why we like it doesn’t equal trolling. We dislike being painted by the “weirder” fans, to then paint him as a troll due to the actual ones is then very ironic.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 01:13PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 12:57PM EDT
Quote

The Dark Horse claims no claims… but realizes their mistake. Truth be told, I did overreact, and for that…

Some men just want to watch the world burn… and I wrongfully took you as one of them. Forgiveness, please?

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 01:13PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 01:07PM EDT
Quote

Laud Piestrings wrote:

The Dark Horse claims no claims… but realizes their mistake. Truth be told, I did overreact, and for that…

Some men just want to watch the world burn… and I wrongfully took you as one of them. Forgiveness, please?

Too late, banning you.

May 29, 2013 at 01:10PM EDT
Quote

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

I had dinner with Scootaloo once, we went to Popeyes, she thought I was just trying to make another Scootaloo is a chicken joke and all the people at Popeyes thought I was talking to myself even though I was CLEARLY talking to Scootaloo.

Also I don’t think those Tulpa lessons are paying off. I’ve had 0 results.

OH, FUCK, TULPA THREAD IS GO.

Anyway, I enjoy having a Tulpa I know isn’t real. In other words, an imaginary friend.

Because I’m perfectly normal.


EDIT: Fanfics, you say? Here you go.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 04:17PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 04:13PM EDT
Quote

Oh God… For the last few hours… I’ve been trying to squeeze as much narrative I can out of my brain for an intermission Chapter of my fic i’m working on… Since Tumblr is having a slow day… and now my fic is beginning to sound even weirder than usual…

It’s like the fic is Criticizing itself…

…Judge for yourself…

Spitfire looked out over the horrizon. “Maybe a brief history lesson about knights then? Basically, its starts with one Pegasus Pony… Who decided to ride a Dragon.”

“Wait… What!?” Dash yelled, “this doesn’t sound like a history lesson! This sounds like a drunken story some crazy idiot told at a bar!”

Spitfire leaned one arm over the edge. “Trust me… It gets crazier… But its all true. But Suffice to say, for a long time afterward, ponies rode dragons.”

And so Rainbow Dash sat down, ready to hear a bat-shit crazy tale that would no doubt take the entire evening to tell completely and would be almost impossible to believe, and yet was all true.

…Probably…

The Kicker?

Spitfire is talking about the story of her own Youth about a thousand years ago…

… I just… Can’t… Take… This Seriously… And yet I wrote it… And made the story take it seriously…

You cannot even comprehend the Howling whine I’m making right now.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 04:43PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 04:42PM EDT
Quote

@Lunar Protege
Thanks for reminding me about the fanfic I need to work on. As long as we’re whining about our stories, I’ve had the hardest time trying to get the plot going in mine. I’m absolutely terrified I will botch it beyond repair and screw the entire thing over and as a result, I’m not working on it. It doesn’t help that I find everything I write crap.

As for yours, it all depends on what kind of a story it is. If it’s a serious business kind of affair, doing a lampshade hanging might not be the best thing. I’d tone down the hanging a little bit. Perhaps remove the omniscient narrator’s comment at the end or reword it to be less…stingy. Lampshade hangings are great for making fun of yourself and the ridiculousness of your plot points but if it’s too obvious it can make the reader go “if the author finds it this stupid, I probably should as well”.

And as long as we’re giving previews:

Twilight sighed.

“Nothing.” she pointed to one stack of books, “I looked through a hundred and fifty years worth of The Journal of Runes and Rituals.” she looked over to another stack, “Every issue of Arcane Magic Quarterly.” she motioned to two other leather bound books that had strange emblems engraved in a red dye, “I even went to the Restricted Access section and read through the Arcanus E Draconus and the Oksh’egn Nuba’kryygwquo.” At the mention of the Oksh’egn Nuba’kryygwquo, a slimy black tentacle seeped out of it, only to be blasted by a burst of purple magic, causing it to yelp and slink back into the book.

Rarity looked back from the ancient tomes.

“You didn’t find anything?”

Twilight put a hoof to her chin in thought.

“Well, if I ever want to turn the Princesses into fillies, or throw off the chains and bondage of friendship and love that have been holding back my true power and claim my eternal throne of suffering and agony, then I can, but as for figuring out immortality…” she blew a few raspberries.

Pretty much the only part of Chapter Three I’m happy with.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 05:09PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 05:05PM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

@Lunar Protege
Thanks for reminding me about the fanfic I need to work on. As long as we’re whining about our stories, I’ve had the hardest time trying to get the plot going in mine. I’m absolutely terrified I will botch it beyond repair and screw the entire thing over and as a result, I’m not working on it. It doesn’t help that I find everything I write crap.

As for yours, it all depends on what kind of a story it is. If it’s a serious business kind of affair, doing a lampshade hanging might not be the best thing. I’d tone down the hanging a little bit. Perhaps remove the omniscient narrator’s comment at the end or reword it to be less…stingy. Lampshade hangings are great for making fun of yourself and the ridiculousness of your plot points but if it’s too obvious it can make the reader go “if the author finds it this stupid, I probably should as well”.

And as long as we’re giving previews:

Twilight sighed.

“Nothing.” she pointed to one stack of books, “I looked through a hundred and fifty years worth of The Journal of Runes and Rituals.” she looked over to another stack, “Every issue of Arcane Magic Quarterly.” she motioned to two other leather bound books that had strange emblems engraved in a red dye, “I even went to the Restricted Access section and read through the Arcanus E Draconus and the Oksh’egn Nuba’kryygwquo.” At the mention of the Oksh’egn Nuba’kryygwquo, a slimy black tentacle seeped out of it, only to be blasted by a burst of purple magic, causing it to yelp and slink back into the book.

Rarity looked back from the ancient tomes.

“You didn’t find anything?”

Twilight put a hoof to her chin in thought.

“Well, if I ever want to turn the Princesses into fillies, or throw off the chains and bondage of friendship and love that have been holding back my true power and claim my eternal throne of suffering and agony, then I can, but as for figuring out immortality…” she blew a few raspberries.

Pretty much the only part of Chapter Three I’m happy with.

To be honest, I’m quite intimidated by the fanfics posted. Maybe I should just stick to writing about politics and drawing instead.

May 29, 2013 at 06:40PM EDT
Quote

Well…

After a long brutal beating, whipping, homoerotic sadomasochism session, talk with some of the mods here, I’m ready to go back on the thread once again! Let the Dark Horse continue the discussion!

@ Fanfics
Honestly, I made my first MLP fanfic when the show began, and part of me regrets ever making it. Three, no, four of my eight characters were (notice the word WERE) based directly off the Mane 6 (and Spike for my dragon), and at the time it seemed like a good start. Now that I look back on them, I see it was a HUGE mistake. In fact, that’s why I made the second fanfic… to distinguish the characters from the Mane 6 and Spike. The similar characters included one of the Pegasi, who now has a dark warrior past, one of the Earth ponies, who has her entire plantation burned down, making her a seeker of vengeance, and one of the unicorns, who is now a practitioner of Arcane magic. All of their conflicts actually worked much better than I thought they would. Yep… had to change them very heavily… and they now seem completely different from the Mane 6. Oh, and the dragon is the laughing stock who deals with his personal problems by drinking… I had such a terrible imagination then, and now they each have a dark part in there own story.
(I would post the links, but they haven’t been touched in so long that they now need a restoration version.)


BTW, the OC I sent to BSoD was one of the only OC’s not based off any character at the time I wrote the first fanfic (until Philomena was introduced). Thanks for vectoring it, BSoD! Means a lot if it can get in the family photo.

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 08:13PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 07:47PM EDT
Quote

Everyone’s talking about their MLP fanfics and I’m a little jealous. Not that I don’t write fiction. I do quite a bit of that. I have some ideas for fanfics but I’ve been more engrossed with my, for lack of a better term, original fiction (donut steel). Also, I don’t think I’d be able to keep it up due to having a case of Attention Deficit Creator Disorder. I just don’t have the kind of commitment that a fanfic requires and I’m kind of sad about that.

May 29, 2013 at 08:45PM EDT
Quote

I just had an idea for a reasonably sane fic for once… Not that I’m good at writing those but… Oh well…

Basically… It plays off how little we know of dragons (Especially female Dragons) and then compares it to real world Reptiles… Specifically… How their sex differentiation can be messed with by temperature’s at certain times…

So Basically… The plot would go something like this…

Spike finds out that he’s not going to be “Locked in” to being a boy until passing a few weeks of puberty. And if he wants to stay a guy… He’ll have to keep himself warm… Even though its the middle of winter.

However, this shall get complicated when Rarity gets stuck in a snowstorm… and Spike is her best chance at survival.

Will he save her in time? Will he still be a guy if he does? Will Rarity care about that last point?

(Also… For anyone who’s thinking of making this headcanon… Note that Female Dragons have been suspiciously absent from the teenage dragon’s lava pit… And don’t even seem to be anywhere near there… Despite there being lots of dragons, and they theoretically have to exist somewhere.)

May 29, 2013 at 08:54PM EDT
Quote

It’s not easy being a brony it seems.

May 29, 2013 at 08:56PM EDT
Quote

That’s nothing, I can’t watch episodes of MLP anymore since I canceled my Netflix so now I can’t watch episodes in Bluray quality and I refuse to watch the show in peasant quality (Standard Definition to you peasants)

Brony haters will never know my pain.

May 29, 2013 at 09:14PM EDT
Quote

@ Kewln00b
Ha! You call that peasant quality!? Bluray quality is a child compared to… wait for it…
3… F*CKING… D!!!!

Wait till you see Equestria Girls on that shite, and you’ll never want to go back to Bluray!

May 29, 2013 at 09:22PM EDT
Quote

Well, I get heppy if I can load the full video in less than 30 minutes at 360p (My internet conection have 1 MB)

@RandomMan:

Last edited May 29, 2013 at 09:25PM EDT
May 29, 2013 at 09:23PM EDT
Quote

Laud Piestrings wrote:

@ Kewln00b
Ha! You call that peasant quality!? Bluray quality is a child compared to… wait for it…
3… F*CKING… D!!!!

Wait till you see Equestria Girls on that shite, and you’ll never want to go back to Bluray!

3D? 3DDDDDD?! 3D is for peasant children who can’t watch a movie without pretty special effects flying out at them.

HD is the way to go, perfect sound quality, perfect picture quality, makes Pony an even more glorious moment. Ever have your ass blown off by the amazing sound from a Bluray home entertainment system while watching Pony? I know I sure haven’t because I don’t have surround sound speakers yet as I have a lot of bills to pay. But when I do you can bet your ass I’ll be Ponying up this living room with Beyond Theater Quality Pony.

Also, the word ‘ponying’ is not underlined with a red squiggly. Huh, guess it must be a real word.

May 29, 2013 at 09:29PM EDT
Quote

@Fanfics

Sadly, I have only ever written one fanfic. It was a WoW fic written for a contest that Blizzard had years ago. It wasn’t not un-terrible.

May 29, 2013 at 10:54PM EDT
Quote

I wrote a fanfic or two in my early high school anime craze, but those days are dead and gone, along with the fanfics created.

I’m not much of a writer, I’m much more comfortable with fanart.

May 29, 2013 at 11:19PM EDT
Quote

@Mark

Thanks for vectoring it, BSoD! Means a lot if it can get in the family photo.

Provided I get around to it. The window I had to draw some poni last week seems to be closing now. Past few days had me pre-occupied with business deals, mobile app design and Steam friends dragging me into games.

But I’ll try and get some poni designs completed tonight. Right after I visit the supermarket.


@Fanfics

I’ve never been really into fanfics, even though I have ideas for stories. I don’t really have much ambition to write them out. They just stay cooking inside my head. Mainly because I think they have been done before and would just be lame.

I have all these cool idea’s for a sci-f novel as well, but same problem: I’m too scared to write it and show anyone.

Last edited May 30, 2013 at 12:38AM EDT
May 30, 2013 at 12:34AM EDT
Quote

I wrote a fanfic once. A Deadliest Warrior fanfic. It’s the reason I never wrote a fanfic again…

May 30, 2013 at 02:49AM EDT
Quote

@Fanfics:

I wrote a fanfic once. It was a Sonic the Hedgehog fanfic. I wrote it when I was ten.

I was a red hedgehog. Amy was my sister. We lived in Knothole. There were no lesbian sex scenes, because I was a naive ten-year-old. There were no ponies in it. Ponies were not cool back then.

The end.

What? What are you staring at?

Don’t judge me.

Last edited May 30, 2013 at 06:00AM EDT
May 30, 2013 at 05:54AM EDT
Quote

And Faust now has more words on Twilicorn.

So… I guess this means that she was thinking “Something along those lines”, but hadn’t gotten round to deciding what exactly.

…And so the people that took over tried to interpret it and thought “Alicorn Princess? Do you think that’s what she meant?” And since everyone had the Headcanon that Alicorn=Princess=Celesia’s Successor, they naturally decided for it to be… That.

So basically… Since she didn’t make it clear… Her successors tried to decipher/decide what she meant themselves.

…Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is something you have to decide for yourself…

But in any case… One thing to Remember…. The show isn’t run by Faust now, and yet Faust probably still thinks of it as her baby. While she may be perfectly fine with how the new guys are going about things, she’s still going to be a little disappointed that she didn’t get to do it her way.

That said… Disappointment doesn’t necessarily equal disapproval. Its merely saying “I expected better”, which is not necessarily incompatible with the thought of “This is still good though.”

May 30, 2013 at 06:02AM EDT
Quote

>wanted Twilight to succeed Celestia
>doesn’t want her to be a princess or alicorn

How does that work? She becomes chancellor or something? And what about Luna? And who would raise the sun? It took the entire unicorn race to do that before.

I shudder thinking of the thousands of constitutional crisis/rebellion against Twilight/Equestria imploding without Celestia fanfics that would have been written.

Speaking of fanfics, l just stumbled across someone who viciously tore apart one of my stories on Livejournal. It was an interesting experience to say the least. First, because I never imagined I’d have one of my stories get the “My Immortal” treatment, and secondly, it gave a fascinating look at another community.

The story, Stereotypical, was written as a critique (a very anvilious one, mind you) against how many readers view red and black OC’s. Most of the Fimfiction readers understood that. The Livejournal commentators think it was written as a “take that” against some unnamed critic of my OC’s (and for some reason thought I wrote a shipfic about my OC and Big Mac). Livejournal is well known for its butthurt and drama, so I’m not surprised they would think that, considering it’s probably quite common on the site. It really shows how a story can be interpreted differently depending on what a group of readers are used to and how the “message” of the story can also be interpreted differently.

It was fun, especially when my “anti-sue” caused the reviewer to foam at the mouth and use size sixteen font. Oh, and wish that Celestia would smite me for writing it. I can see now why trollfics are written.

May 30, 2013 at 07:10AM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

>wanted Twilight to succeed Celestia
>doesn’t want her to be a princess or alicorn

How does that work? She becomes chancellor or something? And what about Luna? And who would raise the sun? It took the entire unicorn race to do that before.

I shudder thinking of the thousands of constitutional crisis/rebellion against Twilight/Equestria imploding without Celestia fanfics that would have been written.

Speaking of fanfics, l just stumbled across someone who viciously tore apart one of my stories on Livejournal. It was an interesting experience to say the least. First, because I never imagined I’d have one of my stories get the “My Immortal” treatment, and secondly, it gave a fascinating look at another community.

The story, Stereotypical, was written as a critique (a very anvilious one, mind you) against how many readers view red and black OC’s. Most of the Fimfiction readers understood that. The Livejournal commentators think it was written as a “take that” against some unnamed critic of my OC’s (and for some reason thought I wrote a shipfic about my OC and Big Mac). Livejournal is well known for its butthurt and drama, so I’m not surprised they would think that, considering it’s probably quite common on the site. It really shows how a story can be interpreted differently depending on what a group of readers are used to and how the “message” of the story can also be interpreted differently.

It was fun, especially when my “anti-sue” caused the reviewer to foam at the mouth and use size sixteen font. Oh, and wish that Celestia would smite me for writing it. I can see now why trollfics are written.

Mate, you just gave me a brilliant idea!
As for Twilight succeeding Celestia. There were many methods of doing it, Twilight didn’t necessarily have to have wings (Not that I take much interest in it.), she could have become princess without them.

May 30, 2013 at 08:34AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!