Forums / Discussion / General

170,278 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9944 posts from 165 users

@ Incest Relations

Obviously, these two, or perhaps the other twins on this show (Cloud Chaser X Flitter, or those other two I forgot…) would provide a better incest relation.



EDIT: Page Get! OK… who are some ponies (or other characters) you cannot stand at all on the show?

Must I say why?

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 08:22AM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 08:02AM EDT
Quote

@Best incest

I’m not sure if this counts, seeing as it’s like… The same pony, except one is a pegasus… And there isn’t much art of the later yet alone shipping… But…

Bon Bon X Bon Voyage?

Oh wait, everyone already ships Bon Bon and Lyra to the point of saying “Bon Bon is Cheating on Lyra” or visa versa if they are shipped with anypony else.

…Then Maybe…

Bon Bon X Lyra X Bon Voyage?

…And this kind of solution people… Is why I got kicked out of drama class!

I’m not even joking. A long time ago, we were all watching this terrible performance of a guy who cheated on two girls… And for some reason I couldn’t hold in the urge to tell them to have a threesome…

… I don’t think anyone will forget how much of my blood the teacher spilled on that day for that… Seeing as it was an Anglican school.

Congratulations… This has been yet another… Pointless story from my crazy life.

So have an exerpt from the latest Chapter from my ongoing Fic:

Pinkie had just finished showing off another Vinyl and Princess Twilight to a year into the past. And she smiled to herself.

“Now… I wonder, is there a way I can get this place into serviceable shape before they get back?” she asked herself, “maybe something involving time travel?”

She walked out of the room, and greeting her was the sight of the entire building full to the brim with Chrono cloned Pinkie Pies.

Beside her stood Luna with a cup of Coffee and a smug look on her face. “You haven’t even done anything yet and you’ve screwed something up. This is why you’re not some kind of Hero of Time.”

Pinkie let out a huff. “Yeah… Well… I’m working on a solution.”

Luna tapped a hoof. “You better hurry, this could cause enough strain on time that a new timeline might be born… And then things will get even more complicated.”

Pinkie sighed. “All I got is throwing them into portal in the Sun or Moon, don’t ask me to explain why that’s a good idea, that’s a thing another Pinkie is better at.”

Luna shrugged. “Fair enough, I’ll help you out there.”


Snip!


Pinkie brushed her hands off as they finished the job of throwing the chrono-clones into the Moon using a giant Catapult and Luna’s magic.

“There, now neither of us have to mention this ever again baring some fluke of chance,” Pinkie said.

Luna opened up another flask of Coffee. “At least until the moon passes over the Mirror pool tomorrow. Then who knows what will happen.”

Pinkie groaned. “Yes, I’m well aware that’s going to happen, but the point of ‘never mention this again’ still stands.”

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 08:28AM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 08:27AM EDT
Quote


You incest shippers obviously do not realize the majesty that is BraeMac. For shame…


Also, wouldn’t it be interesting if Discord were Starswirl the Bearded?

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 08:55AM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 08:54AM EDT
Quote

mfw this thread

Why are we talking so much about incest? Kind of gross.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:13AM EDT
Quote


Um..I don’t normally come onto the forums..They’re scary to me..but I heard there was a pony thread, and that sounded nice. Do you want to party? You don’t have to.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:56AM EDT
Quote

@Hustlin’ Tom
We only party hard not “soft”.



O hai there handsome below me

Btw i wasn’t serious about that incest poll guys..
Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 11:31AM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 11:03AM EDT
Quote

Arlon The Serene (Free Cake) wrote:

Best incest is Babs Seed X Apple Bloom. I am sure of it.

Free Cake knows what’s up.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:27AM EDT
Quote

Maybe I’m not the best person to say this… But of all the things to talk about in the hiatus, it had to be incest? WHY? Why not humanized ponies? Everyone likes that. :C
Aw, to hell with that! WINCEST!

EDIT: Hey, the season 2 finale came out 1 year ago (yesterday)! So happy anniversary to these two:

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 12:37PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:25PM EDT
Quote

>be dreaming last night, nothing but the usual forgettable shit and whatever
>suddenly get something pony related
>it’s the synopsis of a new episode!
>something about how Twilight has a son out of fucking nowhere and he’s a brat
>Twilight has a son
>dream skips to premiere of episode, I’m watching it with irl brony friends that I don’t actually have
>first 5 minutes is nothing but Twilight arguing with the adorable little shit
>I lose my ability to even while my dream friends spark a long winded discussion about who the father could be
>also there’s fosters home for imaginary friends characters everywhere – PANDERING!
>the pandering is too much for one of my dream friends who storms out of the room and goes somewhere to hang himself I guess?
>I urge him to come back and at least see how it ends but I get no response
>skip to the end
>episode ends with some shitty drawn out joke and then Twilight has to drop out of magic college, I shit you not
>no friendship lessons
>no derpy
>no songs
>sadness and pandering only
>final destination

I think I went to bed too early after reading this thread yesterday. Also, I’ve been loving all this wrong neighborhood stuff floating around lately

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 01:04PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 01:01PM EDT
Quote

@Fifths
What now? Playing Derpy Videos?

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 01:37PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 01:37PM EDT
Quote

@wincest

I’d have to say, at least as they’re portrayed in the fandom, Celestia and Luna have a fairly strong incest dynamic. This is largely due to the unique relationship John Joseco has built for them on his Molestia tumblr, but they’re both generally portrayed as fun trolls who’re pretty close.


As they’re portrayed in the show, I can see Lotus and Aloe having more of an incest dynamic than anyone else.



Okay, so he’s not a “pony,” but the Spike episodes last year… I mean…

He went from being Twilight’s faithful and endearing companion (“Owl’s Well That Ends Well”) with a charming crush on Rarity (“Secret of My Excess”) and who was trying find his place as a dragon in a pony’s world (“Dragon Quest”), to being more or less a nuisance in season three -- attaching himself to Applejack and taking care of everyone’s pets when he wasn’t prepared. My objections are more thematic than actually against him. I like the little guy, but as a chief protagonist in an episode, I just do not like how he’s fit into recent episodes. He does better as a Shakespearean clown sort of character -- a complement to the rest of the cast who offers humor and, at times, good insight. At the very least, they should develop the earlier theme about him trying to fit in as a dragon, or find out more about his past, or at least use the fact that he is a dragon as a plot device, or focus on his relationship to the main cast as him being somewhat younger but still attached to them and trying to fit in as younger kids do, or even pair him up with the CMC sometimes. I don’t know quite how it would work, but I just know they should stop whatever they’ve been doing -- that him relating to the pets more than to the main cast is not really what I’d expect or want to see. I understand the value of “growing up” sorts of lessons, but even “Spike at Your Service” lacked those kind of lessons. It was just a rehash of the “life debt” formula, and not in a particularly creative way, in my opinion.

But again, I like Spike; I’d just love to see some good episodes for him.

As for someone I actually dislike:

Yeah. Still holding a grudge.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 02:41PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 02:38PM EDT
Quote

Are we talking main 6 worst pony or any pony worst pony?
My choice for any pony worst pony would be roidrage and main 6 worst is Rarity.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 03:32PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 03:26PM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

Are we talking main 6 worst pony or any pony worst pony?
My choice for any pony worst pony would be roidrage and main 6 worst is Rarity.

Whenever anyone says that, I just imagine that somewhere Advance gets a pained look on his face and says “I sense a disturbance in the forums.”

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:51PM EDT
Quote

Well I was just about to play vidya but I thought I’d check up on the forums first, needless to say, my presence is required.

Now, D. Vazquez, is there any reason why you believe Rarity is worst pony? I have no problem with someone referring to Rarity as their “least favorite” but when you phrase your statement as “worst pony,” it warrants some investigation.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 05:23PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 05:21PM EDT
Quote

Spidervance wrote:

Well I was just about to play vidya but I thought I’d check up on the forums first, needless to say, my presence is required.

Now, D. Vazquez, is there any reason why you believe Rarity is worst pony? I have no problem with someone referring to Rarity as their “least favorite” but when you phrase your statement as “worst pony,” it warrants some investigation.

Considering your sudden love for Flutter Butter, I’ll repeat the words from Verbose:

How does this make you feel?

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:36PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Considering your sudden love for Flutter Butter, I’ll repeat the words from Verbose:

How does this make you feel?

Apr 22, 2013 at 05:38PM EDT
Quote

@Least favorite/worst pony

I would have to agree that Rarity is at the bottom, in a constant fight with Pinkie.

As for why, the main reason is her selfishness/greed. She’s the only one of the Mane 5 who I didn’t think was being brainwashed by Discord when the whole “diamond” scene happened--it seemed exactly like something she would do. How she got the Element of Generosity, I’ll never know. The elements probably just didn’t want planetary omnicide to happen and said “Screw it”.

She treats Sweetie Belle like crap (Sisterhooves Social, Sleepless in Ponyville), and her over dramatic antics and whining complaining get irritating after a short time. Her accent’s also a pain in the ass to write.

If we travel outside the Mane Six, then Trixie’s the winner. I’ve never wanted to punch a fictional character more in the face--and I had to sit through five seasons of Misty!

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:26PM EDT
Quote

Blind Follower wrote:

That would be a huge twist if it turned out they weren’t actually related and were applebloom’s parents. AJ got pregnant off of Mac when she was really young and doesn’t want to appear as a bad role model or is just ashamed of it so she lies to applebloom. like in that one episode of doctor who with the gas mask kid. Maybe Dash or Twi could be the ones to catch on and reveal their secret. Somebody get on that fanfic, I ain’t got the time to do it myself.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:26PM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

@Least favorite/worst pony

I would have to agree that Rarity is at the bottom, in a constant fight with Pinkie.

As for why, the main reason is her selfishness/greed. She’s the only one of the Mane 5 who I didn’t think was being brainwashed by Discord when the whole “diamond” scene happened--it seemed exactly like something she would do. How she got the Element of Generosity, I’ll never know. The elements probably just didn’t want planetary omnicide to happen and said “Screw it”.

She treats Sweetie Belle like crap (Sisterhooves Social, Sleepless in Ponyville), and her over dramatic antics and whining complaining get irritating after a short time. Her accent’s also a pain in the ass to write.

If we travel outside the Mane Six, then Trixie’s the winner. I’ve never wanted to punch a fictional character more in the face--and I had to sit through five seasons of Misty!

Rarity is an interesting character because she’s the only pony who’s personality is a direct contrast of her element. For example, Fluttershy is always kind (unless a Fluttershy episode needs a plot point) and Rainbow Dash is always Loyal. Yet Rarity is much purer in regards to her element than any other pony, let me explain: Rarity is constantly struggling to uphold her element, both in and out of her episodes. She’s greedy and selfish, not because she’s evil, but because it’s who she is. Rarity does give into her greed (very often, I might add) but when she does, she realizes it and knows that what she’s doing is contrasting her element. Instead of continuing to be selfish, she works to improve herself, that’s what makes her so much pure (element wise) than the other ponies. It’s that constant reaffirmation and struggle that show’s that she’s selfish and greedy, yes, but also that she’s more than willing to fight against her base desires in order to become like her “oh so perfect” friends. To me Rarity is the most realistic character in the show. Unlike the others whose personalities reflect their elements, Rarity, like real people has to work at her faults and continuously tries to become a better pony.
Like a very wise anon once said: “Rarity is an antagonist in a protagonist’s body.”

Also, do you have siblings, xTSGx? If you do than you have a very strange relationship with them, because anyone who has a siblings treats them like crap. But we can see that Rarity is working to improve her relationship with her sister, just like her personality she has to work at it (unlike AJ and Bloom who are the most perfect sisters that have ever existed.) All that cart pulling in SiP was played for comic relief, it wasn’t meant to be an honest example of Rarity’s opinion towards her sister, besides, Sweetie Belle was more than happy to pull the cart in order to spend time with her sister.

Also:
>not loving Rarity’s whining
>disliking Rarity’s accent

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 07:06PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 07:04PM EDT
Quote

Spidervance wrote:

Well I was just about to play vidya but I thought I’d check up on the forums first, needless to say, my presence is required.

Now, D. Vazquez, is there any reason why you believe Rarity is worst pony? I have no problem with someone referring to Rarity as their “least favorite” but when you phrase your statement as “worst pony,” it warrants some investigation.

Huh, you came literately just after my “I sense a disturbance in the forums.” post. Didn’t really think that would happen.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:03PM EDT
Quote

Worst pony character ever is freaking Gilda. The only people that like her seem to have a very shallow attraction to her “coolness”.

Least favorite mane 6 is Rainbow Dash, and I already posted a lengthy rant a while back explaining why.


Hey look, I found Lunar Protege a waifu.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 08:15PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 08:13PM EDT
Quote

@xTSGx: Advance puts it best, but I want to elaborate on a few things:

She’s the only one of the Mane 5 who I didn’t think was being brainwashed by

Discord when the whole “diamond” scene happened--it seemed exactly like something she would do.

That’s not how I read that scene at all. She was so enamored with the diamond rock that she wouldn’t even let anyone touch it or help her out with it. Meanwhile, in A Dog and Pony Show, she enlists Spike’s help in finding jewels for outfits commissioned by a pop sensation (in other words, jewels for a huge job opportunity), and she not only has no problem having Spike handle the jewels, she was gracious enough to let Spike eat a few of them as a reward. That does not sound like brainwashed!Rarity at all. Other than that, we have never seen Rarity viciously attack someone over a jewel before or after that. The closest we’ve seen to it was in this scene

And that was just a throwaway gag, and Rarity seemed immediately embarrassed by her behavior, as she did when she was released by her brainwashed state. I’m rambling now, let’s move on.


How she got the Element of Generosity, I’ll never know. The elements probably just didn’t want planetary omnicide to happen and said “Screw it”.

Oh yeah, because making 5 amazing dresses for your friends for a Gala, then having to remake those dresses because your friends didn’t like them, completely free of charge is not generous. And I think we forget that she gained her element by cutting off her tail for a complete stranger. The fashion and image obsessed Rarity. Just because we have seen Rarity act selfishly does not mean she is not generous. We have seen Applejack lie, we have seen Fluttershy be mean, we have seen Pinkie Pie not laugh and smile, and yet we never see these ponies accused of not encompassing their element. As Advance said, Rarity’s selfish side is a side she is trying to better in herself.


She treats Sweetie Belle like crap (Sisterhooves Social, Sleepless in Ponyville)

You… don’t have siblings, do you? The scenes between Rarity and Sweetie Belle are the most relatable scenes in the show to me because I not only have siblings myself but I am also a middle child so I know what it’s like to both be the younger sibling and the older sibling in a situation. I can say that the annoyance that Rarity feels towards Sweetie Belle and the way she yells at her in Sisterhooves Social is something that I have felt towards my little bother who was honestly just trying to spend time with me but was messing everything up, while Sweetie Belle wanting to spend time and go to events with Rarity even if she knows that means carrying all of her shit in Sleepless in Ponyville is something I have felt towards my big sister. Keep in mind, Rarity didn’t go camping and participate in the Sisterhooves Social (covered in mud, no less) because she suddenly had an appreciation for those things, she did it because she knew it was important to Sweetie Belle.

and her over dramatic antics and whining complaining get irritating after a short time.

I personally find her dramatic antics hilarious, but hey, different strokes.

TL;DR: I will defend Rarity till the end of my days, and haters need to embrace the fabulosity.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:44PM EDT
Quote

Wow, this thread is off to a weird start. First crucial question: KYM Pony General VI covered all of season three in one thread, but how will this thread do with season four? The following will happen:

a. This thread closes before season four premieres
b. This thread will cover some of season four, but not all of it
c. This thread will cover ALL of season four

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:02PM EDT
Quote

I wish to speak my opinion (which will NO DOUBT get me killed) on which mane 6 I like the least. Now…..I feel this is brony blasphemy here when I say….Fluttershy is my least favorite mane 6 (in a constant struggle with Pinkie Pie over my least favorite IMO).

When it comes to the Mane 6 Fluttershy (and most of the times when not in her own episode: Pinkie Pie) are just one trick ponies, they really don’t get good treatment unless it’s their own episodes and it’s basically just “Oh look Fluttershy is being so cute, oh look Fluttershy is being Flutterbitch again! Oh look Pinkie Pie is being so wacky.” Don’t get me wrong, when they get their own episodes they’re great but…yeah like I said, the rest of the time they’re just the same one trick ponies (yes, pun intended. Fuck off!)

I mean usually when the mane 6 are brought into an episode that’s not theirs they’ll usually play a role while Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are there being Fucking Adorable and Breaking the Fourth wall wacky. Yeah you could say Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity have their one dimensional moments but IMO even Applejack isn’t as predictable as Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie in other episodes.

My list would have to be
Rainbow Dash
Purple Smart
Rarity
Applejack
Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy (tied)

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:25PM EDT
Quote

Millennial Dan wrote:

Worst pony character ever is freaking Gilda. The only people that like her seem to have a very shallow attraction to her “coolness”.

Least favorite mane 6 is Rainbow Dash, and I already posted a lengthy rant a while back explaining why.


Hey look, I found Lunar Protege a waifu.

Squee

Excuse me while I die of Diabetes.

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:42PM EDT
Quote

Spidervance wrote:

Well I was just about to play vidya but I thought I’d check up on the forums first, needless to say, my presence is required.

Now, D. Vazquez, is there any reason why you believe Rarity is worst pony? I have no problem with someone referring to Rarity as their “least favorite” but when you phrase your statement as “worst pony,” it warrants some investigation.

I had a feeling you would show up. So to answer your question
Twi and Pinkie always being my favorites – Twi for being the smart under-rated princess in training and Pinkie for well, being Pinkie.
Flutters is just adorable. Nuff said.
That leaves Rarity and Dash
Dash is spunky, sporty, a firecracker of a pegasussesessss pony
and now Rarity a fashionista, spoiled southern girl that reminds me of Blanche from Golden Girls
Sorry man she is least/worst favorite pony. One thing I do like is the Spike X Rarity love story.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:15PM EDT
Quote

Kewln00b? wrote:

I wish to speak my opinion (which will NO DOUBT get me killed) on which mane 6 I like the least. Now…..I feel this is brony blasphemy here when I say….Fluttershy is my least favorite mane 6 (in a constant struggle with Pinkie Pie over my least favorite IMO).

When it comes to the Mane 6 Fluttershy (and most of the times when not in her own episode: Pinkie Pie) are just one trick ponies, they really don’t get good treatment unless it’s their own episodes and it’s basically just “Oh look Fluttershy is being so cute, oh look Fluttershy is being Flutterbitch again! Oh look Pinkie Pie is being so wacky.” Don’t get me wrong, when they get their own episodes they’re great but…yeah like I said, the rest of the time they’re just the same one trick ponies (yes, pun intended. Fuck off!)

I mean usually when the mane 6 are brought into an episode that’s not theirs they’ll usually play a role while Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are there being Fucking Adorable and Breaking the Fourth wall wacky. Yeah you could say Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity have their one dimensional moments but IMO even Applejack isn’t as predictable as Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie in other episodes.

My list would have to be
Rainbow Dash
Purple Smart
Rarity
Applejack
Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy (tied)

I can respect your opinion, but I disagree with you saying Fluttershy (my favorite Mane 6 pony) is a “one trick pony.” Let’s see… first season immediately placed her as the timid one…

Immediately, I’m sure she surprised you and perhaps most others like I was when her brave or “bitchy” side came out, and how it came out harshly compared to how she usually was. She isn’t as predictable as some ponies are (i.e. Rainbow Dash), but I don’t mean that in a bad way. All of them stick to their personalities because it’s who they are, not because they can’t change.
There are many examples of the Mane 6 being “different” then they usually are. For example, Applejack is seen as reliable most of the time, but remember when she couldn’t make enough cider for every pony? You usually see Twilight as level-headed, but she loses her mind in Lesson Zero. None of them are predictable, and none of them are the same all the time.

I hope you got all that down. And as for worst character…

She is just EVIL!!! How can a foal be so abusive to the CMC… a FOAL!? I am glad she gets her comeuppance at the end of each episode she’s in.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 10:24PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:20PM EDT
Quote

My list of favorite to least favorite ponies is always changing. But if you wanna know what I think, here’s my ranking (this week):

Twilight Sparkle
Rainbow Dash
Applejack
Pinkie Pie
Fluttershy
Rarity

Let me point out that just because Rarity is at the bottom of the list doesn’t mean I don’t like her. I just like the rest of the Mane six more. Who knows, maybe I’ll choose her as my number one favorite next time.

Worst character is Diamond Tiara.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 10:44PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:41PM EDT
Quote

Spidervance wrote:

Rarity is an interesting character because she’s the only pony who’s personality is a direct contrast of her element. For example, Fluttershy is always kind (unless a Fluttershy episode needs a plot point) and Rainbow Dash is always Loyal. Yet Rarity is much purer in regards to her element than any other pony, let me explain: Rarity is constantly struggling to uphold her element, both in and out of her episodes. She’s greedy and selfish, not because she’s evil, but because it’s who she is. Rarity does give into her greed (very often, I might add) but when she does, she realizes it and knows that what she’s doing is contrasting her element. Instead of continuing to be selfish, she works to improve herself, that’s what makes her so much pure (element wise) than the other ponies. It’s that constant reaffirmation and struggle that show’s that she’s selfish and greedy, yes, but also that she’s more than willing to fight against her base desires in order to become like her “oh so perfect” friends. To me Rarity is the most realistic character in the show. Unlike the others whose personalities reflect their elements, Rarity, like real people has to work at her faults and continuously tries to become a better pony.
Like a very wise anon once said: “Rarity is an antagonist in a protagonist’s body.”

Also, do you have siblings, xTSGx? If you do than you have a very strange relationship with them, because anyone who has a siblings treats them like crap. But we can see that Rarity is working to improve her relationship with her sister, just like her personality she has to work at it (unlike AJ and Bloom who are the most perfect sisters that have ever existed.) All that cart pulling in SiP was played for comic relief, it wasn’t meant to be an honest example of Rarity’s opinion towards her sister, besides, Sweetie Belle was more than happy to pull the cart in order to spend time with her sister.

Also:
>not loving Rarity’s whining
>disliking Rarity’s accent

I’ve always interpreted Rarity’s personal struggle a bit differently. I think both her way of generosity and her way of greed both stem from her materialism. She places a much higher value on objects than her friends do and it really shows. her materialistic nature helps her understand better what her friends want and how she can benefit them with her gifts. at the same time she sees the benefits she could have for herself. She wants, but also wants to give. It creates the duality we see in her character, and I agree with you that this duality and struggle makes her an interesting character.

Sadly still, she can never quite be best ponu.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:54PM EDT
Quote

@Kewln00b

Got my eye on you buster.

In all seriousness, I think you’ve missed out on the complexity of her character. Yes, she’s pointlessly exaggerated in many episodes that don’t focus on her, but that’s just writer laziness if you ask me. The personality that was established for her in S1, as well as in episodes like Keep Calm and Flutter On, is fascinatingly nuanced in a number of ways. She has a very interesting set of personal moral standards, not to mention that quiet courage that markhaox14 mentioned.

Yep, she’s not just a cute face.

But she is the most adorable pony in existence.

Last edited Apr 22, 2013 at 10:58PM EDT
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:54PM EDT
Quote

As a Fluttershy fan, it pains me to see that she is basically the only character in the mane 6 without a clearly defined character, and so I can see why many would consider her least favorite of the mane 6.

Now, that may confuse some considering everyone knows right from the get-go that Flutts is “the shy, quiet one” but the writers can’t seem to come to an agreement on just how shy she is and so her level of shyness bounces all over the scale and in the end nobody exactly knows what the hell to do with her. Some writers make her a confident pony that is just passive and talks quietly, while other writers make her cripplingly shy to the point of her having to learn the same lessons on confidence over and over again, and then there are other writers that just have no clue what the fuck to do with her at all * coughM.A.Larsoncough *. Sure, the other ponies in the mane 6 bounce around their own character trait scales, but I have seen none that have bounced around the scale more than Fluttershy, and I wish the writers would just get it together already.

That being said, I think she still has enough clearly defined character traits and skills to make her one of the best characters in the show. Her understanding of animal’s and ponies feelings makes her unique from what you see in many main characters. Usually a kind and nurturing character like her would be in the background giving sage advice to the heroes of our story, but this time she is one of the heroes in the foreground getting her own story with her own struggles though day to day life, and I think having a main character with such character traits is a very good thing not only for a kids show but for any show in general. Not to mention, her problem solving skills in certain conflicts (such as in Dragonshy, The Elements of Harmony pt 2, and Keep Calm and Flutter On) are absolutely wonderful in that they’re not aggressive or abrasive, but very in control and thought out, even when it doesn’t seem like so on the outside. Really, I think an understanding and kind pony like Fluttershy sets a great example for anyone to follow.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:38AM EDT
Quote

I’d expect the thread to go along like this:

Oh well, I’ll call something next time.


Soooo, ya’ll talking about the worst ponies, eh?
Let’s see…
hm.

I don’t really like Rarity due to her personality, reasons why will be posted very shortly after this, and I really have a bone to pick with Diamond Tiara.
Also Gilda. Diamond Tiara and Gilda are the two thorns in my sides. More or less literally, because rose bushes.

Reasons for not liking Rarity:

I find her personality to be a bit along the lines of pompous, somewhat (in other words: very) annoying due to her constant drama scenes where as she just whines complains about the least important of topics that have barely anything or nothing to do with the situation she is currently in, the neglecting of her sister (headcanon though [random]: I believe Sweetie Belle is 9 years old and Rarity is 19, but basic assumptions, I’ll explain it later), and the fact she is not very generous in most shown cases (while the element she represents clearly defines her as being generous).

Funny thing, I really think at a bit more than a fourth of the time the Mane 6 clearly do not act much like how their Elements derive from.

I’m pretty goddamn sure you know why I don’t like Gilda or Diamond Tiara.
I SWEAR I WILL SCREW THEM OVER IF THEY THROW SHIT AT THE CMC, RAINBOW DASH, OR FLUTTERSHY.

:)


I forgot to end
With one single haiku.
I feel dishonored.

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 12:49AM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 12:47AM EDT
Quote

@Fluttershy being worst pone

I direct you to the evidence.

That. Was. RELENTLESSLY CRUEL! There have been only three occasions in my time as a fan of mlp that I have come anywhere remotely close to shedding a tear, and this was by far the closest of those moments. This fucking cunt just came in and demolished two of her oldest friends, friends that were only trying to help her ass. She basically said ‘Your special talent and reason for existence is shit and you’re shit as well.’

I think Fluttershy is a great illustration of Nietzsche’s concept of slave morality, of a pony who would be a cruel and selfish despot if she could, but instead must embrace the virtues of meekness and charity because she’s too weak to get away with being cruel or selfish.
Iron Will didn’t teach Fluttershy that cruelty, his assertiveness lessons just served to let out a side of Fluttershy that was there all along.

Do not mistake Fluttershy’s acts of kindness for true beneficence. A true benefactor is a strong and disciplined being who fights to achieve an objective good in the world despite the personal pains it might cause him. Fluttershy is too much a base creature enthralled to her passions to ever fight to achieve that objective good. Sure, she’ll be kind to you, but only if she’s afraid of what will happen to her if she’s not kind, or because she thinks you’re cute and it gets her off to baby you. Admittedly, she’ll sometimes have a moment where she actually has a bit of a fucking spine (Standing up to the dragon was very admirable) but this is outweighed by her surrenders to the passions (Trying to duck out of tornado duty, trying to capture animals that clearly want nothing to do with her, stealing the princess’ bird)

She’s an innately cruel creature ruled by her passions. I’ve known too many people like that in my life not to be wary when I start hearing that obsequious voice asking me for permission to speak.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:00AM EDT
Quote

@Fluttershy
As someone who always likes a good, flawed character, I would have to say Fluttershy has a few areas where her character could improve. I mean, I wish they would give her some insentive to stop being shy other than “Being shy can make things difficult sometimes.” I want to see Fluttershy working toward some sort of larger goal like Rainbow Dash or Rarity, or even Pinkie to a degree. So yeah, I like her and all but she’s probably my least favorite of the mane 6. I have a few more reasons but I feel like it wouldn’t really be much good going into them.
Something I have been wanting to ask, though. Does anyone else feel like the fandom (generally speaking) is a little too… nice to Fluttershy?

BOOOOO! HOW COULD YOU WANT TO BE MEAN TO POOR LITTLE FLUTTERSHY? BOOOOO!

Okay, okay, yes, I get it. I’m just sayin- DAN PUT THE GUN DOWN!
I’m just saying that people seem to ‘ignore’ a lot of Fluttershy’s flaws when they include her in fan works because she always means well when she makes them in the show. I mean, whenever her shyness is mentioned in comics and stuff, it’s almost always:
A. Just a way to make her look cute.
B. Completely justified or nessisary and therefore not really a problem at all.
C. Solved by her switching into Flutterb**ch mode or using “The stare.”
D. Only a problem to her and not anyone else.
I know this is probably just a personal thing, but I want to see more fan works with Fluttershy actually being the direct cause for some sort of larger problem for others like in “Swarm of the century” or “A bird in the hoof” rather than always having her be the poor innocent victim or a super-awesome bear fighting extraordinaire!

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:42AM EDT
Quote

@Fifths
Actually, Flutters’s actions make a lot of sense if you read up on “Seminars” like EST (whom Iron Will undoubtedly represents) and the resulting cult psychology.

I’m writing a philosophy essay on it-- I might post it here later.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:59AM EDT
Quote

Gah, lots to catch up on here.

@Incest

…or self-cest.
or… whatever you want to call that.

RD x RD: OTP!


@Apple Bloom’s origins
Yeah, I’ve seen the whole ‘AJ and Big Mac are secretly AB’s parents’ done to death and it’s usually just meant to be an incest joke.
Now if we want to talk about some real ‘secret child’ stuff, I have to admit that I kind of like this: Fluttermom
Gentlemen, start your feels…
Aaaaaaaand… FEEL!


@Worst pony
Seems like we get into this argument every dozen pages or so, but I’ll reiterate: I do truly like all of the main characters; Rarity is simply the one I like the least, and that is down to a number of reasons.
I actually agree with pretty much all of what more Rarity Defenders say about her as, again, I do like her, but out of all the primary characters, I feel like I would have the absolute least in common with her.

I’m an AJ or Twilight when it comes to fashion; I want clean, functional, and comfortable far more than I have any desire to ‘impress’ someone with clothing.
I’ve worn a suit precisely twice in my life and I hated every single second of it.
When it comes right down to it, I’ve always found fashion to be extremely shallow.
(Beyond basic hygiene, of course) ‘dressing to impress’ has always struck me as more of a way to earn favor without actually doing anything and while there is certainly truth to the idea that people make impressions about others based on their attire, I would rather fight that instinct than play to it.

In a similar vein, ‘high society’ just irks me most of the time as it comes across as very phoney and vapid.
The way all the Canterlot ponies are fawning over Rarity in Sweet and Elite is a good example of the attitudes that I dislike and while Rarity herself does a marginally better job of avoiding the pitfalls of those side characters, she still has a clear goal of wanting to be a part of that society.

Basically though, those points come mostly down to taste.
I dislike almost everything that Rarity likes so I can’t help thinking that being placed in a room with her would wind up with the two of us just sitting there awkwardly, attempting to start up polite conversations while having essentially nothing in common to discuss.

There is one glaring character trait of Rarity’s that is an actual negative for me and it was the crap she pulled in this scene:

Not sure I really even need to say anything beyond that, really.
I despise that kind of emotional manipulation and the way she tried to pass it off as ‘assertiveness’ did nothing to help.
(Similarly, Pinkie’s scene in the market was not assertiveness either, but at least her tactic only came down to confusing the target with wordplay without that added layer of empty flattery.)
I would honestly love to see an episode in which Rarity learns not to abuse this ‘power’ she has over men.
It is a serious lesson that more children (girls and boys) could stand to see taught and it would resolve my most significant annoyance with the marshmallow pone.


@Iron Will
“Never apologize when you can criticize!”
Yeah, he kinda was telling everyone to be an asshole to everyone around them.
It doesn’t release Fluttershy from blame, but I think calling her ‘innately cruel’ is majorly off-base.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:33AM EDT
Quote

@Fifths



Oh, ỵ͖ͦ͛̌ͤ͢o͑҉͕̩̖͚̳̲ͅuͣ.̏͆͗̓̐ͧ͏̺̲̫͕̩͍.̺̘͞.̸

I’ve written big rebuttals and explanations to haters in the past explaining exactly why that is wrong. Unfortunately, I’ve got work in the morning, so suffice it to say, PYHD is drivel written by madame Spongebob and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Besides, I know that’s not what made you dislike her, you’d decided that long before. Now you’re merely using it to justify your pre-existing distaste. Bah, I say!

@Stunthead

Actually, I see more Flutterhate than almost any other pony, but it’s only because people claim that her fans are over-protective. Welp, maybe, maybe not, but fans shouldn’t be any reason to judge a character, I say.

And as for lack of development, I’ll be the first in line to say the writers are inconsistent, but also that I believe Faust had a pretty good idea of who she wanted her to be, and it’s been tough (apparently) to work with that, and still try to be as funny as they think they have to be. Personally, I’d sacrifice a slapstick gag or three for more believable interactions.

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 03:11AM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 02:53AM EDT
Quote

Wow, I started a big discussion thing. I feel so important.

But yeah like I said, I like Fluttershy….it’s just that like I said she just seems a bit boring now. She was great in Season 1, but since they started focusing on other ponies (and giving her an episode at the very end of Season 2) and gave her less time to develop. Like Hurricane Fluttershy is basically the one episode of the season to play off her weaknesses and make her a better character, unlike Putting your Hoof Down which I feel was just like the first 10 minutes was just random ‘Oh look at how helpless Fluttershy is! Look at Pinkie Pie, she’s using classic Looney Toon’s humor!’ then the rest of it was Fluttershy turning into Flutterbitch, then Flutterbitch turning back to Fluttershy in 10 seconds flat.

This is why I kinda think Season 3 is a dud compared to the last two seasons. The whole season was cut in half and was obviously rushed to all living hell. I mean….Hell Big Mac didn’t even get his yearly “I actually get to go in the recording studio and actually memorize a line” line, then Rarity……damn Rarity didn’t even get an actual episode as Merriwether Williams couldn’t write the episode without making Rarity a total bitch (not surprised looking at how Merriwether treated the whole Mane 6 in Mare Do Well and Spike in the Almost Rarity episode). They really didn’t get a chance to breathe that season you know? Ugh, I can’t wait for Season 4, hoping to see some real Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie Pie episodes.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:34AM EDT
Quote

And so, the KYM Pony Forum was torn apart by Civil War, not because of a Thread Title Election, but because of declarations of “worst pony”.

Advance the Rarity Fan wrote:

Also, do you have siblings, xTSGx? If you do than you have a very strange relationship with them, because anyone who has a siblings treats them like crap.

Crimson Locks wrote:

You… don’t have siblings, do you?

As a matter of fact, I have two older brothers. And while we tease each other and all that, I can say that neither of them have ever yelled at me simply because I was trying to be helpful or had me lug around their things like a slave when we went on outings together. Sure it’s Rule of Funny (and, indeed, it was funny), but that doesn’t mean it can just be struck from canon.

That’s not how I read that scene at all. She was so enamored with the diamond rock that she wouldn’t even let anyone touch it or help her out with it.

I’m not referring to what she does with Tom, just the actual brainwashing scene. It took AJ app. 1:45 to be discorded. Pinkie, 1:05. Dash, 0:50 . Fluttershy countertrolls him so well he has to just up and forcably brainwash her.

Rarity? Forty seconds. Discord doesn’t even have to do anything. No grand illusions like Dash or AJ. No Moral Dilemma like Dash. No “Reason you suck” speech like Pinkie. He congratulates her on finding the diamonds and, after putting up some resistance, she buckles. Of course, she would have been discorded regardless, but it seems telling that Discord had to do very little to sway her.

I personally find her dramatic antics hilarious, but hey, different strokes.

Eh, to each their own.

Now, have some cute Luna to distract you all while my Deathly Hasbro Liberation Front prepares its surprise attack in the opening folly of the Civil War.

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 05:05AM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 05:04AM EDT
Quote


sees anti-Fluttershy posts
OK… just… Wow… just need to get my facts right here…

@ Fifths
I agree that her character is at times flawed, but then again whose isn’t? You can say she acts completely irrational (i.e. Iron Will), but you can’t say any other pony hasn’t been some sort of corrupted (can’t find a better word) to be unlike their character at one point. Take a look at Applejack, for example. She’s supposed to be the honest one, yet the way she sees the only way to win in Fall Weather Friends, along with Rainbow Dash, is cheating. What I’m saying is that no one is perfect, but they at least learn an important lesson on their flaws. It’s about improvement of one’s self, not being the same thing everyday. Otherwise, the show would be like this to me…

@ Crimson
How is she underdeveloped? She’s shy, and that’s her main personality. Varying levels of shyness only mean she’s is actually showing some effort to improve herself. And when she gets angry, its because her impatience and irritability were high in her, and like I said earlier, when it goes off, it goes off like a bomb…

@ Stunthead

In all seriousness, though, you can’t blame people for loving her. She’s adorable, and you know it. Don’t believe me?

Here’s a seal of approval…

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 05:18AM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 05:07AM EDT
Quote

@Dan
I didn’t mean to imply that she got less hate. I’m just saying that I feel there’s too much of this and not enough of this (though I admit that upon checking my facts, there isn’t quite as much stuff like this as I thought there was, so I’ll give you that).
Plus, you’re right, you can’t really judge characters off of their fans, but if I didn’t my “favorite pony list” would be as follows:
1. Rainbow Dash
2. Twappity Piettershy

@markhaox14
Yes, she’s definitely the cutest by a long way, but I’ve never really considered that to be enough to carry her whole character. I suppose part if it is that I actually know someone in real life who acts a LOT like Fluttershy, and they can at times be… difficult to say the least. If you think her cuteness does make up for it though, that’s cool.

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 07:26AM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 07:25AM EDT
Quote

I just realized that I can search within favorited images of any user on Derpibooru (with (faved_by:whateveruser AND whatever search term)).

Now I can pick Advance’s mind for pictures of Rarity without asking him.


You guys should totally tell me if you have an account you fave images with on Derpibooru. It’ll give me an idea of what you like style-wise, and I might even be able to post random pictures on your walls from time-to-time based on that.

Mine is Verbose, of course. I looked to Derpibooru long before the fall of Ponibooru (well, the official fall…I think we all knew that it was falling to begin with,) so I didn’t have to fight off anyone for a username.

Anyway, feel free to look through that stash of images. There shouldn’t be anything objectionable, since even questionable tagged images are filtered in my normal searching (meaning I don’t see, let alone fave, anything “questionable” without removing the tag and then adding it back.) Suggestive is still in there, because it allows for some funny jokes, but you won’t see gore or anything…

…Well, you probably won’t see any of these:

alicorn drama, alicorn flash, alicorn oc, anthro, artist:captain paulo, ask velvet, awesome cutie mark, bad gift meme, blood, blue puke, brazzers, clopping meme, cosplay, cteno, derpygate, diaper fetish, evil people finding dash meme, fat, feministmylittlepony, fluffy pony, foalcon, fursuit, gak, give me a head, i-shooped-a-pwny, idw, inverted mouth, issue 1, issue01, john's chalkboard meme, juxtaposition win, loli, make it happen, milky way, morbidly obese, nature is so fascinating, niggertron, obese, official comic, origin generator, peta, poni licking poni, ponigg, pony creator, pregnant, princess celestia's letters for the day, pukershy, questionable, reaction if x buys hasbro, sculpture, secret pot meme, sliding ponies, small head, spanish, spoiler:s03e13, spoilered image joke, surprise door, sweetie's note meme, sweetiepoo, that is beautiful, theater meme, toy, trap, two words meme, vomit, youtube caption

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:24AM EDT

@DP
I can see where you’re coming from with Rarity and her ability to seduce males, though in defense, the one or two times we’ve seen her use that charm in the show was to benefit her friends. She never uses that power for her own sake, even though she could probably do so very easily. Rarity is a very beautiful pony, but she never abuses that power, she maintains her good looks because she likes to be beautiful, not because she likes to use them for nefarious means. If she does use her looks as an asset, she does so passively, or for her friends.

@xTSGx
Okay, now your just grasping at straws from wherever you can find them. You’re telling me that Rarity gave in quickest out of anyone else, but it’s actually the complete opposite. The elements were discorded by the counterparts of their elements, Rarity’s being greed. She had the choice to spend her time digging up a diamond or going to the center of the maze. Rarity was the only pony to realize her faults and actually fight against them before ultimately giving in. All of the others were discorded immediately, just because their setups were longer, doesn’t mean they took longer to actually fall (you may say that Fluttershy resisted, but she never actually realized what Discord was trying to do, she was just being her kind self.) If anything, Rarity’s discording was the most potent, it wasn’t trickery or mind games, just her base desires.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:33AM EDT
Quote

@Verbose: I browse Derpibooru, but you’d have better luck with canon-twilicorn. I know you follow it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:58AM EDT
Quote

@Incest


Selfcest is best -cest.


@Verbose
With those tags blocked, it’d probably be safe to look through my faves. They might seem kinda boring, though. It’s the same account pseudonym, but you could just look at most uploaded Fluffle Puff comics to find it if you’re feeling lazy

Also: Why on Earth do you have “IDW” blocked? You’re missing absolutely glorious things like this:


I can understand blocking some of the awful memes that come out of it (I’m THIS close to blocking “two words meme”), but quite a few of the images are pretty awesome.

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 12:42PM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 12:40PM EDT
Quote

@xTSGx:

As a matter of fact, I have two older brothers. And while we tease each other and all that, I can say that neither of them have ever yelled at me simply because I was trying to be helpful or had me lug around their things like a slave when we went on outings together. Sure it’s Rule of Funny (and, indeed, it was funny), but that doesn’t mean it can just be struck from canon.

Fair enough, your sibling relationship is closer to AJ and Applebloom’s than to Rarity and Sweetie Belle’s. I and several other fellow bronies have felt more similarity to the latter. I’ve had one guy tell me that Rarity making Sweetie Belle lug everything around is exactly the kind of thing he does to his siblings when they drag him out somewhere he doesn’t actually wanna be. It’s sort of an equal payment thing (of course, stretched to ridiculous extent in the show for the sake of comedy).


@Markhoax:

How is she underdeveloped? She’s shy, and that’s her main personality. Varying levels of shyness only mean she’s is actually showing some effort to improve herself. And when she gets angry, its because her impatience and irritability were high in her, and like I said earlier, when it goes off, it goes off like a bomb…

The problem is not that she is shy in varying levels, the problem is that her character seems to learn her lesson on not being shy and then just suddenly backtracks for no real good reason. Her varying levels of shyness are not just a slow trot from cripplingly shy to not shy, literally from episode to episode she is sitting on a random place on the scale, depending on where the plot finds it convenient. In an episode like Dragonshy, it makes sense for her to be scared because she has a dragon phobia, but then she’s able to stand up to the dragon as large as a mountain and convince him to leave. Phobia should be mostly dealt with, yes? No, because in Dragon Quest she refuses to go to go to a dragon migration to the point of shoving and stomping on one of her friends to get away. Where did her ability to handle dragons go? Another example: In Magic Duel when Flutts had to escape Ponyville she was so cripplingly scared that she couldn’t even bear to hide in a log in that adorable bunny outfit, and this was just hiding from Amulet!Trixie…. And yet we have seen her fight much stronger opponents in the past. Fluttershy is a bit of a flavor-of-the-day character depending on whose writing her, and she has not been developed quite enough to tie all of these sides of her together. It’s a frustrating thing, but it is not something that ruins the character for me.

I think my feelings on her character are explained in the beginning of this video

Last edited Apr 23, 2013 at 01:06PM EDT
Apr 23, 2013 at 12:43PM EDT
Quote
Also: Why on Earth do you have “IDW” blocked?

I treat the comic like I do the show. I have no real issue with some memes and screencaps in themselves, but I want to purchase the comics legitimately before viewing them. So until then, I have the comic filtered out to avoid spoilers.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:02PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!