Forums / General

195,599 total conversations in 5,383 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9,944 conversations with 165 participants

Crimson Locks wrote:

I don’t know, I’m not too inclined to believe that Hasbro shortened a season of what has become one of their most popular shows of what is probably their most important franchise right now just to make a cheap movie that is only playing in select theaters.

I actually heard a theory from Digibrony a while back that it’s possible that Hasbro wanted to have FiM syndicated so that it could be shown on other networks (such as Cartoon Network) and a show needs to have at least 65 episodes in order to be syndicated. Adding 13 more episodes onto the 52 they already had puts the show in a neat little package of 65 episodes. I can imagine Hasbro has been trying to sell their show to other networks since the finale of season 3, but then again I haven’t heard any news that they have. Meanwhile, Hasbro has their writers of the show make a little side movie to tide over the viewers after such a short season and giving such a long hiatus between season 3 and 4.

Yeah, that’s not so much a ‘theory’ as ‘all-but-irrefutable fact.’
That’s precisely how TV works.
Even shows that have a good following at their first airtime really make the bulk of their money in syndication because syndication has the potential to happen multiple times and go on for years, with royalties being paid all the time.
(And just to note, Cartoon Network is pretty unlikely to syndicate MLP because they are big enough to make their own shows and they have a huge catalog of old shows that they already own. They have little reason to buy something from another company.)
Syndication is primarily aimed at much smaller TV stations, usually local channels that don’t have the budget for original programming.
They just buy a contract to air another network’s popular but older shows.
The little channel can gain some more viewers by being able to air a popular show and the networks get money from the contracts that continues to flow for as long as people want to watch it.
For example, Seinfeld finished its original production run decades ago, but it was and remains popular enough that dozens of smaller stations syndicate it for reruns all across the country.
They’ve made more money after the show was cancelled than they ever did while it was filming.

One of the requirements for syndication, though, is a minimum number of episodes, typically 65 for children’s shows.
Basically, if Hasbro is going to bother putting out the amount of money a new show requires (Lots ‘o money!), cutting it off before they reach the minimum required episodes for potentially infinite profits would be silly in all but the most extreme cases.
I can pretty much guarantee that all of Hasbro’s shows were originally contracted to make 65 episodes from the very beginning.
Even if they ended up being only mildly popular, those shows could still turn a profit in syndication.
The fact that MLP has been renewed beyond the minimum is basically confirmation that it has been successful enough to warrant doing more.
Yay!

Equestria Girls came about after they saw that MLP really was popular combined with Hasbro noticing that another show (Monster High) was becoming popular with MLP’s target demographic.
Hasbro had no properties in Monster High’s genre so they decided to take an already-proven franchise and modify it to get into that market.
From a pure, soulless business standpoint, it makes a certain amount of sense despite how ridiculous it seems from the creative end.

This has been your daily dose of business.


@Iamslow
Yep, ComicCon is getting a super sparkly Vinyl Scratch this year!

Look at them glitter-hooves!


@Kitties
All shall bow before ScootaCat!

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:47PM EDT
Quote

I feel really bad about having Applejack vs. Rarity on the last page. Have some Rarijack.

@DeadParrot
I still can’t get over the fact that the figure has “Adult Collectible” on the package. Does that mean teenagers can’t have it?

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 12:43AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 12:36AM EDT
Quote

Man I’ve been watching too much Two Sisters Play (Was always a fan of Two Best Friends Play, hell I’ve been following them since they practically began, seeing them as ponies is just an added plus for me and the fact that they approve of the videos and give TwoSnacks their ‘seal of approval’ just makes this one of the best fanprojects IMO even though it’s just animating some ponies to an edited version of their videos…..Still waiting for Two Sisters play Super Smash Bros) and now I feel disappointed that I don’t hear Matt and Pat’s voices on Celestia and Luna, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:57AM EDT
Quote

Bruno the Rustler said:

And how blind you have to be to not see that Rarity is future of our fandom?

>Rarity
>Future of the fandom

Pick one.

@Cuteness

@Season three length

For once, Hasbro--and by “Hasbro” I mean their President and CEO, Brian Goldner--has descended from on high to give us a reason:

Yeah, yeah the cash spend you really have to do when you have a successful TV Series… In fact Hasbro Studios TV Shows has outperformed other TV Shows on the Hub by 74% rating with 4 of the Top 10 shows on the network right now. So as you look at great performance of TV Shows, you are able to produce fewer episodes in subsequent series than you need for earlier series. You know, kids love watching episodes over and over again but you have to add an element of newness but you don’t need to spend to produce entire new series again. You can add 13 episodes or a 26 episodes to a pool of 52 already produced Episodes. So therefore you are able to… with a success TV Series… produce fewer in a year. Overall, Hasbro Studios has greenlit over 800 half-hours of programming. We also still have several hundreds of half-hour programming that we are producing for the network and also looking at whether there are successful tv series we obviously then spend less per new series because we are able to produce newer shows.

TL;DR: Hasbro can spend less money by making fewer episodes because little girls love to repeatedly watch old episodes and once you have an established fanbase, you’re set to rake in the dough, regardless of the length of seasons.

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 06:35AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 06:34AM EDT
Quote

Disturbed B wrote:

I feel really bad about having Applejack vs. Rarity on the last page. Have some Rarijack.

@DeadParrot
I still can’t get over the fact that the figure has “Adult Collectible” on the package. Does that mean teenagers can’t have it?

Honestly, I’m kinda thinking of something else

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:00AM EDT
Quote

CrashGordon94 wrote:

Honestly, I’m kinda thinking of something else


Allow me to express my feelings in a short haiku. Ahem…

THE F*CKING PLUSHIE!?
ARE YOU BUCKING KIDDING ME!?
YOU DO HATE LYRA!!!

Well, I can officially call my stakeout off… I’m just gonna go… you know… run away casually now…

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 07:32AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 07:31AM EDT
Quote

Nah, it’s just what came to mind after hearing about an “Adult Collectable”, not out of disapproval to the character.
(Though I thought you might react as such)

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:59AM EDT
Quote

I still wonder why that plushie was made, did the fabricator not think ahead about the position of the hole?

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:40AM EDT
Quote

vintiezre wrote:

I still wonder why that plushie was made, did the fabricator not think ahead about the position of the hole?

Yes, it was fully intended to be a sex toy, the guy said it in the original auction thing.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:47AM EDT
Quote

CrashGordon94 wrote:

Yes, it was fully intended to be a sex toy, the guy said it in the original auction thing.

I don’t know why I deluded myself into thinking it was much more innocent than that. Once again, humanity disappoints me. Off to Equestria now, I guess.

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 09:08AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 09:08AM EDT
Quote

@ Level4
Well, humans are my waifu’s most favorite things ever, apparently, so I have to put up with the bullshit that many people have done to make us as homo sapiens look bad.


As for that rainboom…
Looks around, lifts coat…
I got just the thing…

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 09:17AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 09:16AM EDT
Quote

@Level4: Well, does it being derailed into some random carrier-bag by everyone else help at all?
@Mark: Would it make you feel any better about be if I told I was contemplating a crossover between MLP and a strategy game I playand Lyra is a stand-in for one of the most overpowered characters in the original game?

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 09:29AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 09:23AM EDT
Quote

Laud Piestrings wrote:


Allow me to express my feelings in a short haiku. Ahem…

THE F*CKING PLUSHIE!?
ARE YOU BUCKING KIDDING ME!?
YOU DO HATE LYRA!!!

Well, I can officially call my stakeout off… I’m just gonna go… you know… run away casually now…

People are allowed to like Lyra and the Plushie without making references to you Mark.

Besides, the fandom creations born from that plush are just fucking awesome.


I still wonder why that plushie was made, did the fabricator not think ahead about the position of the hole?

I quote, directly from the auction page:

“This is… the very first MLP plushie to feature a special hole in her butt that you can stick your penis in!”

Just read the entry. I wrote around 75% of the entry and even had to contact the buyer at one point to ask if it had arrived already (he was cool about me asking for the entry). Trust me, I came across all types of reactions. Still one of my favorite memes, just because it’s so random.

And to stay on the topic of Equestria Girls:

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 09:50AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 09:40AM EDT
Quote

@ RM
You were both in on this… I have no doubt now that you’re both plotting to destroy me and take Lyra all for yourselves… well it ain’t gonna work now! Escape measures up!

Well… that failed miserably…
But really, I don’t hate the plushie itself. I hate the intentions it was originally created for. I could NEVER imagine any human having sex with a pony… I just can’t.


@ CrashGordon

Haven’t you tortured me enough!?

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 10:22AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 10:10AM EDT
Quote

You know, I hope for a future con (not strictly bronytype con) they get those guys from Hasbro to do another panel. Don’t give a fuck about what you guys think, those guys were great and fun.

“Will Discord make another appearance in the series?”
Guys from Hasbro look at each other, look at the Executives in the back of the room.
Maaaaaaaaybe

God I hope it’s true what they implied about them releasing a soundtrack from FiM.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:30AM EDT
Quote

markhaox14 Wrote:

But really, I don’t hate the plushie itself. I hate the intentions it was originally created for. I could NEVER imagine any human having sex with a pony… I just can’t.

…You’d be surprised by how many ways some people would go about disappointing you…

Although personally… Between imagining a Human having sex with a pony, and Humans having sex with other Humans… Both are Equally hard for me to imagine with any degree of interest… Pony On Pony on the other hand…

But that’s probably just a facet of any number of problems I Might or Might Not have. Including Anywhere from Partial to Severe Body Dissonance.

But that’s an issue I should bring up with Psychologists… And I doubt anyone here wants to hear about however many Identity and Body issues I have.

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 11:40AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 11:39AM EDT
Quote

Oh my god, the whole lyra plushie thing was great, especially the alternative use pics.

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 01:03PM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 01:02PM EDT
Quote

Heh, I remember I even made a Photoshop myself back when it was fresh.

By yours truly.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:54PM EDT
Quote

@Lyra plushie

Hey look, the thread’s turned back into /kym/ again.

>that feel when you will never be able to stick your hand up plushie!Lyra and feel her silken depths

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:15PM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

@Lyra plushie

Hey look, the thread’s turned back into /kym/ again.

>that feel when you will never be able to stick your hand up plushie!Lyra and feel her silken depths

I know that feel, bro.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:17PM EDT
Quote

I wish to see some more bloodshed in here:

I’m clearly not it, but who will claim the prize of you all?

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:18PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

I wish to see some more bloodshed in here:

I’m clearly not it, but who will claim the prize of you all?

Just imagine if some neckbeard won that thing.

Could you imagine?

It’s just… it will never happen, right guys?

Guys?

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:22PM EDT
Quote

Jimmy "Sniper" Lethal wrote:

Just imagine if some neckbeard won that thing.

Could you imagine?

It’s just… it will never happen, right guys?

Guys?

You might have just condemned us to certain doom.

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:50PM EDT
Quote

Aww… I missed page 34… by three weeks.
Oh well, at least I still have alcohol.

Wait, there is none…?

I’m going to bed…

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:58AM EDT
Quote

vintiezre wrote:

You might have just condemned us to certain doom.

You have sealed our fate.

Last edited Jul 04, 2013 at 01:53AM EDT
Jul 04, 2013 at 01:52AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez said:

Happy 4th

>Commemorates Fourth of July
>Posts song about War of 1812

Wrong war with the British.

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:36AM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

Derpy Vazquez said:

Happy 4th

>Commemorates Fourth of July
>Posts song about War of 1812

Wrong war with the British.


Lyra’s riding a Segway, your argument is invalid.

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:30AM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

Derpy Vazquez said:

Happy 4th

>Commemorates Fourth of July
>Posts song about War of 1812

Wrong war with the British.

For lack of finding a pmv of National Anthem next best thing

You obviously never seen the 1812 with fireworks

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:51AM EDT
Quote

Happy 4th, fellow Americans!

Please don’t be stupid with your personal explosives!

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:16AM EDT
Quote

Happy 4th to the Americans here

Just a normal day here, no big holiday

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:09AM EDT
Quote

@DeadParrot
So does that mean us non-Americans ARE allowed to be stupid with our personal explosives?
HOORAY!

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:09AM EDT
Quote

Irony with me, Mike, and Derpy V. celebrating when two of us aren’t American. (Well… I am… but I’m not there right now…)

As for dangerous fireworks… they already beat you to it years ago…

Happy 4th, U.S.!

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:24AM EDT
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

For lack of finding a pmv of National Anthem next best thing

You obviously never seen the 1812 with fireworks

…With the way the colors are arranged, that Celestia looks more French than anything else.

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:29AM EDT
Quote

Baguette Eiffel Tower Motherfucker

Jul 04, 2013 at 09:12AM EDT
Quote

Yeah, happy 4th. While you guys are grilling your burgers and watching your parades and exploding your colorful gunpowder in the sky, I’ll be working a Goddamn 12 hour waitressing shift. Buuuuuuuuuuuh.

At least I have you, Rainbow Dash

I hope the rest of you American bronies have a good fourth of July. And to you non-American bronies, have a good day, too

Last edited Jul 04, 2013 at 09:17AM EDT
Jul 04, 2013 at 09:14AM EDT
Quote

@ Next Hasbro Project
What if… and bear with me now… they make a movie version… of Twister!?

Gets weird stares
Think about it… somewhere in the southern U.S., a tornado, the largest anywhere, is rampaging throughout, and it doesn’t die down whatsoever. But then some science geek or something reveals the U.S. government’s secret weapon for controlling the weather… a Twister board and spinny thing! They say its alien technology or something that glows in the dark, but in order to stop the tornado, sacrifices are needed (i.e. the losers of the game)! They play it, and whoever wins is the big hero or something!
Well?
Everyone points gun to markhaox
Oh god…

Oh, and related to ponies…


@ CrashGordon
I honestly don’t care that he used it again… if anything, I’m flattered he thought the picture was awesome that he wanted to use it again! It’s not like I own that image or something, and will C&D him for using it without my permission… right?

See? Too distracted by ponies to care…

Last edited Jul 04, 2013 at 11:48AM EDT
Jul 04, 2013 at 11:38AM EDT
Quote

Okay… Just noticed Something about How I draw Ponies…

…For Some reason… Regardless of The Pony In question… My First Instinct seems to be to Draw them closer to Luna’s Body Proportions than to what the Normal Ponies have… Except maybe with a bit more Bulk in certain Parts of the Legs.

I like how it usually turns out… But… I’m only just realizing now that it mean’s that I don’t really have any kind of way to Up size from it if I ever Find myself in the Need to Draw Luna Next to Ponies I Draw.

Is this Bad? Is there something I should do about it?

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:33PM EDT
Quote

@Stunthead

So does that mean us non-Americans ARE allowed to be stupid with our personal explosives?
HOORAY!

Of course, that’s why we keep Guy Fawkes day around, even though we stole that day off the British. It just takes a little more effort to be stupid with our personal explosives on Guy Fawkes day since all the good fireworks are banned.

Kiwi’s need to get creative EG: Set possums on fire and send them running up the phone poles, throwing cans of fly spray into bonfires and sticking sparklers in the sheep.


@Lunar

Is this Bad? Is there something I should do about it?

Yea I’m thinking that’s why your ponies come out looking so skinny, or catlike.

Ponies have some sort of ISO standard when it comes to body shape and I’ve learned that conforming to that standard as closely as possible carries the best results. Best thing to do about it is to look at the original ponies and use them as a template.

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:28PM EDT
Quote

@Mark:
Well, your Twister movie idea might not be too far off, given they apparently made Ouija boards.
…The fuck?!
“Yes! We make board games, colorful horses, transforming robots and Occult paraphernalia!”

As for the picture thing, sorry then. You definitely have a point.

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:54PM EDT
Quote

Happy America day everyone! Or how you foreigners call it: Thursday!

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:09PM EDT
Quote

Happy Fourth my fellow compatriots! I was almost killed for having a US flag on my car though.

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:16PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!