Forums / General

191,109 total conversations in 5,241 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Apr 17, 2014 at 02:00PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9,088 conversations with 155 participants

xTSGx wrote:

Blue Screen said:

I hate the term “buck” as an expletive.

Not because I’m against those cutesy ‘everybody/everypony’ substitute terms but because associating ‘buck’ with ‘fuck’ renders so many things in the equestrian universe so very wrong.

Applebucking season? Anyone?

>implying words can’t have multiple meanings, you dam bastard.

But seriously, nothing snaps me out of a story faster than Twilight dropping an F bomb, or Dash saying “shit.” The in-universe equivalents are so much fun (shit=horseapples, fuck=buck, hell=tartarus, whore=horse), and the best part is the mods can’t stop you from rating a story “Everyone” when you use them, cause they’re in the show.

I doesn’t matter to me if the word can have multiple meanings. As soon as I hear that word and I know it’s being used to censor ‘fuck’. I’m still going to think about how Applejack says ‘buck’ all the time and I start to think she must have a severe pottymouth.

I agree with you that if ponies use such harsh language, it would take me out of the story. It’s just too awkward to hear ponies swear unless the writer substitutes the canon context for something much darker. But ‘Buck’ does the same thing regardless for specific reasons

Sure, if a pony says something like that in that way, it probably means something very different to them, considering how the word ‘buck’ is already, clearly associated with kicking things with hind legs and not anything vulgar. So I can see how you can work that into a fanfiction. But it won’t change what it means, and is clearly implying, to me, the reader

It’s also going to make me associate what I’m reading with image macro’s posted on MyLittleBrony

Lastly, I have a bit of a censorship stigma about the greatest word to ever start with F. Either say it, or don’t.:

If you are in the right context (a dark grizzly action thriller or you just recently smashed your little toe on a table corner), use it. The whole thing. No asterixis.

If you aren’t (any conversation where emphasised impact in language is unwarranted or a world of fluffy rainbow unicorns) then don’t.

But that’s just me.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 09:44AM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 09:38AM EDT
Quote

BSoD wrote:

I doesn’t matter to me if the word can have multiple meanings. As soon as I hear that word and I know it’s being used to censor ‘fuck’. I’m going to think about how Applejack says ‘buck’ all the time and I start to think she must have a severe pottymouth.

Nah mah, she just likes to to “buck” all the stallions.

But for all this buck, cluck, shluck, shlung, slim, slem, slammalamma dingdong. I’ll just go with what was already said before: Words can have different meanings. We already went over it in that faggot spin-off thread by Algernon, that context decides a lot and that words can gain new meanings alongside their old ones over time through usage. When someone “finishes” in a race, you don’t directly think they squirted themselves (although, with my mind, I always do have that grin on my face).

I hate the term “buck” as an expletive. Not because I’m against those cutesy ‘everybody/everypony’ substitute terms but because associating ‘buck’ with ‘fuck’ renders so many things in the equestrian universe so very wrong.
Applebucking season? Anyone?

Eurofag, Ponyfag, Furfag, Moralfag, etc etc etc. When using “-fag” as a suffix, do you look at them as “faggots” in the context of being homosexual and liking the other part alongside it, or do you look at the “fag” as that it describes someone who is just (semi-) obsessed with the something he’s an X-fag in but not a homosexual? I think the answer here is obvious.

That’s how I think “bucking” works in words like “applebucking”. Context is key. If a pony stabs her hoof and says “buck”, sure, it’s “fuck”. But if AJ says she’s going to buck some apple trees, we all know she isn’t going to hump them (unless you’re reading fanfiction, there anything is possible).

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 09:56AM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 09:51AM EDT
Quote

@RM

Please refer to this thread for my stance on that once.

But I feel that’s an entirely different subject and take on the matter. If I went into that, I would be detracting from my original point.

To avoid repeating myself, I’ll just copypaste my above post. Note the bold.

Sure, if a pony says something like that in that way, it probably means something very different to them, considering how the word ‘buck’ is already, clearly associated with kicking things with hind legs and not anything vulgar. So I can see how you can work that into a fanfiction. But it won’t change what it means, and is clearly implying, to me, the reader

It’s also going to make me associate what I’m reading with image macro’s posted on MyLittleBrony

Lastly, I have a bit of a censorship stigma about the greatest word to ever start with F. Either say it, or don’t.:

If you are in the right context (a dark grizzly action thriller or you just recently smashed your little toe on a table corner), use it. The whole thing. No asterixis.

If you aren’t (any conversation where emphasised impact in language is unwarranted or a world of fluffy rainbow unicorns) then don’t.

Yes, context is key. And the particular context of using “buck” to make ponies swear in a censored/lame pun kind of way does, in fact, annoy me.

And quit making me think so hard about this. You’re making me put more thought into an unimportant and inconsequential nitpick than I wanted to. I’m trying to get to sleep here, man

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 10:09AM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:07AM EDT
Quote

BSoD wrote:

And quit making me think so hard about this. You’re making me put more thought into an unimportant in inconsequential nitpick than I wanted to. Stop that.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:12AM EDT
Quote

I’m pretty sure the universe hates me.

A short while after making my post in which I complained about the use of the word ‘buck’ in fanfiction, I got bored and decided to try reading something. I brought up FiMFiction, and found that a few of my favourites had updated, one of which was a previously completed story that I finished reading a while ago. It was an epilogue to a story called You Can Fight Fate, which is a sequel to the sequel of Hard Reset (on a tangential note, Hard Reset was pretty good while the sequels were sorta ‘meh’ in comparison). I wasn’t a huge fan of how it had finished originally, what with a few romances and OCs being shoved in unnecessarily, but I decided to check it out anyway.

Here’s the first line from the epilogue:

Buck bureaucracy, I think to myself as I stare at the stack of paperwork on my desk.

Seriously. It was the first goddamn word. Of all the words in the English language that it could have been, it had to be that one. FML.


Lunar Protege wrote:

An easier way to lesson the effect of Repetition, while also not using LUS, is to just write more between one use of the name and the other, while also altering the position of the name in the opening sentence.

Of course… I don’t know if huge amounts of prose is a good thing or a bad thing. And I’m certainly uncertain of when an appropriate use of Purple Prose would be.


One of Orwell’s rules for effective writing was “If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out”. This can apply to entire passages as well as individual words. I’d never endorse writing more for the sake of making something read better, since it’s likely that the extra prose will only act as padding. Usually, the best solution is to rethink your sentence structures and to try being more creative with them. Alternatively, use pronouns. For reasons I can’t understand, a lot of fanfiction writers keep forgetting that they exist.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 10:29AM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:26AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) Wrote:

If you are in the right context , use it. The whole thing. No asterixis.

What if you’re taking a small departure into meta-fiction? Or are giving your characters medium awareness? Or something else?

…Basically… Doing it for laughs?

The fact someone gets censor bleeped can be funny after all.

…Otherwise, no real objection here.


One of Orwell’s rules for effective writing was “If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out”. This can apply to entire passages as well as individual words. I’d never endorse writing more for the sake of making something read better, since it’s likely that the extra prose will only act as padding. Usually, the best solution is to rethink your sentence structures and to try being more creative with them. Alternatively, use pronouns. For reasons I can’t understand, a lot of fanfiction writers keep forgetting that they exist.

And yet just going back and forth for several Lines using “He said/She said” is just as tiring… No idea how to get around that if “Cut words” is the prerogative.

(I have no idea if I used that last word right.)

Of course… If one cuts too many words from the edges of a back and forth exchange, one may get confused as to who is saying what.

I had an experience where I saw a back and forth exchange where there was no “He said, She said” or anything, and Somewhere in there I lost track of who said what. What’s worse, they were Laconic snippets so it made entire sections of the page look empty.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 10:59AM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:48AM EDT
Quote

Algernon wrote:

I’m pretty sure the universe hates me.

A short while after making my post in which I complained about the use of the word ‘buck’ in fanfiction, I got bored and decided to try reading something. I brought up FiMFiction, and found that a few of my favourites had updated, one of which was a previously completed story that I finished reading a while ago. It was an epilogue to a story called You Can Fight Fate, which is a sequel to the sequel of Hard Reset (on a tangential note, Hard Reset was pretty good while the sequels were sorta ‘meh’ in comparison). I wasn’t a huge fan of how it had finished originally, what with a few romances and OCs being shoved in unnecessarily, but I decided to check it out anyway.

Here’s the first line from the epilogue:

Buck bureaucracy, I think to myself as I stare at the stack of paperwork on my desk.

Seriously. It was the first goddamn word. Of all the words in the English language that it could have been, it had to be that one. FML.


Lunar Protege wrote:

An easier way to lesson the effect of Repetition, while also not using LUS, is to just write more between one use of the name and the other, while also altering the position of the name in the opening sentence.

Of course… I don’t know if huge amounts of prose is a good thing or a bad thing. And I’m certainly uncertain of when an appropriate use of Purple Prose would be.


One of Orwell’s rules for effective writing was “If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out”. This can apply to entire passages as well as individual words. I’d never endorse writing more for the sake of making something read better, since it’s likely that the extra prose will only act as padding. Usually, the best solution is to rethink your sentence structures and to try being more creative with them. Alternatively, use pronouns. For reasons I can’t understand, a lot of fanfiction writers keep forgetting that they exist.

To be fair, depending on how obstructive the bureaucrat is, either definition of buck might fit. But to me, buck isn’t a direct translation of fuck, just the equivalent swear word. (in other words, I suspect the entomology of the phrase is from bucking someone in the face.) in other words, use of buck in the sexual context would be wrong, ( in other words, you would never hear Applejack saying she’s going to buck Twilight, but if Rarity was more crude, she might have said Buck Prince Blueblood)

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:58AM EDT
Quote

Huh, thought I was gonna catch some heat for my last post, but anyway I have osmething else, a query really.
TSG said:

The in-universe equivalents are so much fun (shit=horseapples, fuck=buck, hell=tartarus, whore=horse), and the best part is the mods can’t stop you from rating a story “Everyone” when you use them, cause they’re in the show.

How? I’ve heard other people (my dad, for one) say similar things (not about MLP substitutes though) but I really don’t see the appeal at all. Where’s the fun in it?
Aug 14, 2013 at 11:18AM EDT
Quote

Only time I like swearing in Pony fanfics is when it’s supposed to be a shoutout to that “Worst Fanfic ever” the one about Harry Potter where Dumbledore (a character that doesn’t swear) just goes “What are you mother fuckers doing?!” except for that all I can say is ‘Buck swearing in Pony Fanfics’ Watches Algernon’s sanity slowly break down

Oh and other minor news, according to a thread on 4chan in which Dubs names new background ponies. Apparently Button’s Mom’s name is…….Benis :D :D. Well I for one welcome our new Benis :D :D overlord.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 11:32AM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 11:23AM EDT
Quote

@buck instead of fuck

I generally don’t like brony speak at all to be honest.

Buck especially because it’s pointless censorship when you can just as easily say fuck on most sites.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:26PM EDT
Quote

I feel pretty today

Special thanks to Crimson Locks for taking the time to do this.

@This bucking conversation
I don’t read a lot of fanfics so I wouldn’t know about this “buck” means “fuck”. But if I did see it, I wouldn’t think anything of it. Words don’t offend me. A fanfic writer probably thinks “The ponies would never say fuck. I’d better replace it with a different word.” Makes sense to me. When Applejack says buck in the show, I know she doesn’t mean fuck. If she says buck in a fanfic, then it’s all about how the word is used. “What the buck?” “You mother bucker!” or “You bucking idiot!” Again, it doesn’t bother me. If fanfic writers want to say buck instead of fuck then let them.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:25PM EDT
Quote

>2012+1
>Complaining about the use of Buck instead of Fuck

Is not something that I think is necessary.
Ponies would not say “Fuck”
Sure, why not? But I never thought I was trully worth using a SFW version of the word.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 01:41PM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 01:37PM EDT
Quote

So according to the fandom, buck is like fuck’s equivalent of crap instead of shit.
Ok, that might seem confusing, so I’ll put it in algebraic form:

buck ≤ fuck = crap ≤ shit

Also, damned less than equal sign does not exist in ASCII. ASCII I am disappoint.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:50PM EDT
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

And yet just going back and forth for several Lines using “He said/She said” is just as tiring… No idea how to get around that if “Cut words” is the prerogative.

Orwell’s rule is usually invoked in the case of words which don’t add any meaning to a sentence. An example would be the use of the word ‘quite’ in a descriptive sentence like “Canterlot Castle looked quite majestic”. I think it applies equally well to unnecessary prose, but it probably wasn’t the best example for me to use. Instead, it’s probably better to use a rule of Kurt Vonnegut’s, which goes: “Every sentence must do one of two things -- reveal character or advance the action.”

But anyway, cutting out unnecessary words isn’t the same as writing things in a clinical and simple way. You just have to mix up the way you indicate that a certain character is saying something. You could write:

“Hey, Rarity. You’re a real bitch,” said Spike.

Or instead you could try something like:

“Hey, Rarity,” said Spike, glaring in her direction. “You’re a real bitch.”

(Please don’t ever use that in a fanfic)


Disturbed Brony wrote:

I don’t read a lot of fanfics so I wouldn’t know about this “buck” means “fuck”. But if I did see it, I wouldn’t think anything of it. Words don’t offend me. A fanfic writer probably thinks “The ponies would never say fuck. I’d better replace it with a different word.” Makes sense to me. When Applejack says buck in the show, I know she doesn’t mean fuck. If she says buck in a fanfic, then it’s all about how the word is used. “What the buck?” “You mother bucker!” or “You bucking idiot!” Again, it doesn’t bother me. If fanfic writers want to say buck instead of fuck then let them.

Personally, I don’t find it offensive at all, and I understand the reasoning behind it. I’m only opposed to it on stylistic grounds. Of course, any fanfiction writers are free to disagree with me and use whichever words they like. I just like ranting about this kind of thing.


vintiezre wrote:

So according to the fandom, buck is like fuck’s equivalent of crap instead of shit.
Ok, that might seem confusing, so I’ll put it in algebraic form:

buck ≤ fuck = crap ≤ shit

Well, that just made things even more confusing. I think that means that fuck is the same thing as crap, buck is less than or equal to both of them and shit is greater than or equal to them. That’s some crazy mathematics you got there.


All this talk of fanfiction makes me want to try writing. I’d hoped it would never come to this.

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 02:46PM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 02:41PM EDT
Quote

When I write fanfics, I generally don’t have the MLP characters use pony expletives unless they’re in Equestria. Face it; if somebody said horseapples instead of shit in Cleveland, you’d probably give them a funny look too.

If you want another example, look at SpongeBob. Barnacles, fishpaste, tarter sauce, and so on. These are all replacements for fuck, shit, goddammit, etc. This brings us back to the same thing; SpongeBob wouldn’t say any real curses, so let’s make some up. While some argue that SB and Patrick were actually cursing in Sailor Mouth, word of Tom Kenny is that they just screamed made-up words at the top of their lungs and bleeped them out later.


Here’s an example from one of my stories.

“‘RUN FOR YOUR FUCKING LIVES!’ screamed Dash.”

You’d run for your fucking life, too, if you were being chased by a swarm of changelings.

Aug 14, 2013 at 03:39PM EDT
Quote

Beginning Section II now! This section features Blue, xTSGx, Platus, and Disturbed in a story of revenge and payback! Fun!

Blue wandered Ponyville alone, as he often was. He had no permanent home, living the nomad life. It wasn’t so bad… he could travel fairly easily, he didn’t have to bother with work, and he was his own boss.

Though he was usually sullen most of the time, he had felt extra furious since his discovery of Platus’s affair. After the event, all he could think of anymore was a way to get him back… hard.

The only problem was… he didn’t know how to. He didn’t know where Platus lived… where he worked… nothing about Platus.

Well, looks like he’ll get away with this after all. Blue sighed, and thought of anything else to do. A lightbulb suddenly came on in his head. F*ck with other ponies and their tech! Genius!

Unknown to anypony but himself, he technically wasn’t a pony by nature. He didn’t know how, or when, but he was created by computers rather than born. Because of this, he was able to enter and exit devices at will, as well as corrupt said devices.

He sneered as he looked around the square for anypony using hayPhones. He spotted a costumed Pegasus, currently trotting while using the hayPhone in her wings. Blue smiled deviously as he spotted her. “Bingo…”

He began to follow the Pegasus closely but without notice. As soon as he was about a meter or so away, he began to blur as though he were static. He was then compressed into a small orb of blue and white static, and he entered the hayPhone.

As he did, he noticed the environment around him change from Ponyville into a landscape of green and black prisms and planes, made of formations of number and letter sequences. He looked around this place, and nodded to himself. “A bit larger than the usual… but it could use a touch of… blue,” he said evilly.

He approached the nearest prism, and raised one of his hooves in front of him. “This hoof… shall be the devastation of the hayPhone!” Blue said triumphantly, and he placed his hoof on the prism.

All of a sudden, Blue felt an agonizing pain, as though he were burning alive. He yelled out loud as he was electrocuted, being shocked with large sums of power. What? Impossible! Unless… she has some serious protection on this phone!

He felt himself being withdrawn from the hayPhone as he was electrocuted. He was thrown back out into Ponyville, reforming to his usual pony form. He was trembling heavily as he tried to recover from his shock.

“Huh?” he heard a voice say. He looked up, and saw the blue Pegasus staring back down at him. She wore a deep purple and violet suit and cape of some kind, almost like that of a costume. She wore a long, purple mane with a light blue streak running down the side. Her deep green eyes looked down confusedly at Blue, wondering how he got there.

“My, aren’t you the looker?” she said admiringly. Blue looked up back at her, and admired her features as well. I’m the looker? She’s the one who’s got the great body… but… why does she look familiar?

“Oh… um… look at the time! Guess I better be going now,” she said nervously, and began to back away slowly. Blue wondered what her hurry was, and he remembered where he saw her before. That’s the same mare who f*cked Platus at the Inn!

As soon as he realized this, he gritted his teeth angrily, and began to chase xTSGx through the streets of Ponyville. This is gonna be payback for tackling me and stealing Platus!

xTSGx ducked and weaved through the streets, expertly dodging ponies and carts alike. Blue wasn’t giving up, though, and rather than dodge the ponies as she’d done, he effortlessly shoved them out of his way. With this determination and anger, he ended up only a few meters away from her.

xTSGx noticed him catching up, and began opening her wings to take off from the ground. Blue saw as she did, and immediately lowered his head to increase his speed as he galloped. She then began to take off, and Blue saw as she did. He wasn’t going to let her get away that easily.

He summed up all of his strength, and used his hind legs to spring towards xTSGx. He reached out with his hooves, and grasped onto her cape. Despite his successful grab, xTSGx continued flying higher and higher. Blue held onto the cape tightly to prevent himself from falling, but then he felt it slowly loosen from her costume. He looked down to see how far up they were, and he immediately wished he hadn’t.

“Ah… F*CK!” he yelled in fear as he only saw cloud below him. He then felt himself being pulled hard towards the ground below, and he realized the cape had finally come loose.

He fell from the sky, waving his legs uselessly as he yelled in terror. He looked back at the ground, where Ponyville appeared out of the clouds as a speck, but was rapidly increasing in size. “This is it! I’m gonna die as a pony instead of a virus! What a world!”

I especially enjoyed writing this section… and I hope you all enjoy it too!

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 08:24PM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 04:51PM EDT
Quote

Lunar Protege said:

An easier way to lesson the effect of Repetition, while also not using LUS, is to just write more between one use of the name and the other, while also altering the position of the name in the opening sentence.

I absolutely despise paragraphs and paragraphs of useless description that does nothing to aid the story. What inevitably happens is I start skipping through it and end up missing something important buried amongst the philosophical babblings of Twilight talking about the rain.

CrashGordon94 said:

To be quite honest, I think that the various horse puns (and similar things like the palce names and “everypony”) would be one of the most grating things if I were to actually watch the show.

>would be one of the most grating things if I were to actually watch the show.
>most grating things if I were to actually watch the show.
>if I were to actually watch the show.
>actually watch the show.

>2010+(5x-2y)=xy
>not watching ponies
>posts in a pony forum anyway

Lunar Protege said:

And yet just going back and forth for several Lines using “He said/She said” is just as tiring… No idea how to get around that if “Cut words” is the prerogative.

Actually, most critics and writers agree that character tags (Twilight said, Pinkie said, etc.) tend to blend in to the background and as someone who’s read more fanfics than I should have, I’d have to agree. Said Bookisms are generally frowned upon as the dialogue should be able to speak for itself and shouldn’t need fancy synonyms (Twilight grumbled, Pinkie espoused, etc.) to convey what it means.

I tend to avoid character tags entirely and let the dialogue float freely with a sentence before it detailing some character’s action (Twilight smiled, Pinkie bounced up, etc.) to let you know who will be talking. Surprisingly, I haven’t gotten as many complaints as I though tI would about my “style”.

Of course… If one cuts too many words from the edges of a back and forth exchange, one may get confused as to who is saying what.

Hence the reason why I despise writing group scenes.

CrashGordon94 said:

How? I’ve heard other people (my dad, for one) say similar things (not about MLP substitutes though) but I really don’t see the appeal at all. Where’s the fun in it?

For one, it let’s me Get Crap Past The Radar in an “Everyone” rated story. Finding ways to subvert Fimfiction’s rules is always fun. The bigger part though is that I think it adds a sense of depth to a story. By that I mean it helps to show that their world is alien. They may speak English (which, come to think about it, could be a whole another discussion), but these weird linguistical changes (“horseapples”, “buck”, “everypony”) help to show that their culture is still very different from our own. Simply replacing a word or adding a new grammar rule (in the case of “everypony”) can do more to show off their world than a thousand words of description. That’s the power of the English language.

Iamslow said:

Buck especially because it’s pointless censorship when you can just as easily say fuck on most sites.

Except it’s not pointless. If you use “shit” or “fuck” in a fanfic on Fimfiction, you can’t rate the story “Everyone” as it has cursing in it and Fimfiction defines an “Everyone” rated story as:

content that would be acceptable in the show, with some bending for things like alluded shipping or very light affection

In addition, many people’s Suspension of Disbelief strains when a character drops an F bomb, because someone doing that automatically makes them OOC.

Algernon said:

“Hey, Rarity. You’re a real bitch,” said Spike.

Or instead you could try something like:

“Hey, Rarity,” said Spike, glaring in her direction. “You’re a real bitch.”

(Please don’t ever use that in a fanfic)

plagiarizes

All this talk of fanfiction makes me want to try writing. I’d hoped it would never come to this.

Just make sure you know how your story’s going to end. I had no idea what was going to happen in Ascend (mainly because I went in thinking it would be this nice little Twilicorn fanfic that I could work on as a hobby and then it goes and gets featured an hour after posting) and here I am trying to figure out how I’m going to answer the “why did Twilight become an alicorn?” question, or more accurately, whether my answer will crush everyone’s suspension of disbelief (hint: it will).

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 05:03PM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 04:58PM EDT
Quote

I just saw something called Mutton Bash’s Adventures…
Guys, I know this is the internet with porn, shipping and rule 43 but… is it going too far?

I have to be sure now my little siblings don’t see it. Too bad it’s the second thing that shows up when you search the original. Normally, things that involve shipping and porn… and especially incest, pedophilia and rape are a little more underground, at least for children. I really don’t know if I want to bring this up, but I am not the only kind of questions this kind of stuff or share a bit of concern?

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:01PM EDT
Quote

@WarpXR: Well, as long as the internet it the internet, there is porn of pretty much anything in any circumstances. Look at Derpibooru under the tag “Button’s mother”, nearly everything there is porn.

I’m not saying I don’t care or I agree with it. It’s because, unfortunetly, we can’t do much to stop that. Look at UK, they tried to ban porn of all kinds and a lot of people got angry.

But I thought Google had some Safe-search filter, or is it just for Images?

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 08:14PM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 08:13PM EDT
Quote

@Bruno the Watcher

Oh yes, by no means would I want there to be laws. There is a balance to the internet that should never be upset. I know there is no way I or anyone else can do about it and I don’t intend on even trying. I just wonder if anyone shares this concern or even if I should be concerned. Things like that I’d expect to be a little more underground but it’s kind of just in the open. The only thing I can do is be sure by siblings don’t see it.

Am I rightfully concerned?

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 08:31PM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 08:30PM EDT
Quote

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

@WarpXR: Well, as long as the internet it the internet, there is porn of pretty much anything in any circumstances. Look at Derpibooru under the tag “Button’s mother”, nearly everything there is porn.

I’m not saying I don’t care or I agree with it. It’s because, unfortunetly, we can’t do much to stop that. Look at UK, they tried to ban porn of all kinds and a lot of people got angry.

But I thought Google had some Safe-search filter, or is it just for Images?

THAT explains the images I suddenly see popping up of Buttons being worried about his mother. I was wondering what the reason was behind them.

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:33PM EDT
Quote

@Me having not watched the show: You’re totally right, it’s really strange of me to post here without having seen the show, there are reasons…
First of all, this is something I’ve really wanted to confess for a while: I’m not actually a Brony, I guess I’m a “lapsed pony hater”. I truely hated the show and was legitimately getting totally pissed about seeing it everywhere ever since it hit a forum I went to not long after FIM became big. This extended to my lurking here (quite a while before I registered), it was annoying me but I began to sometimes check out the Pony pics in the recommendations out of curiosity, which I then did more and more frequently and eventually they left me with enough to say that I signed up to comment (you can tell where I started, given that my earliest comments included talking about shooting Sweetie Belle with a MAC-10).
I really went to this thread because I had a couple of burning questions about this stuff that I wanted answered, I was about to leave after they were very kindly answered but I kinda got sucked in and now I frequent here even though I still feel like a outsider sometimes.But I really do like it here, and I generally do feel at home.
I’ve been in an awkward limbo regarding MLP ever since I began to regularly look at stuff on here about it, one part of me wanting to try the show and one part wanting to avoid it. I’m still in this dilemma dispite frequenting here and Derpibooru, learning about quite a number of the characters and even forming opinions about them because of three things:
1) One part of me just wants to go back to being a proper pony-hater. This bit took a pretty big blow looking at an MLP hate group on Deviantart and I basically thought that it was pretty damn vile, and that I actually didn’t care as much about the “dark side” of Bonydom in comparison. Still, this does still have an impact on me sometimes, though it’s getting less and less.
2) Another part of me doesn’t want to be a Brony or try the show just because I don’t want to be judged by my real-life family and friends for it, as silly as it might sound.
3) Yet another part just doesn’t want to give in, because I’ve hated something venemously without trying it then tried it and ended up liking it (a few examples include soda, alcohol, tea, shooters and the Grand Theft Auto series) and my pride just doesn’t want to let me add My Little Pony to the list.
But even so, I don’t really think I’m going to “go back” to how I was before, it really feels like I’ve crossed the Pony Event Horizon and it’s only a matter of time before those points give way, I try the show and I end up going full Brony.
As a final point, it was never really against the fans. Hating someone because they like a cartoon is ridiculous, a lot of my friends online like the show and I’ve had good experiences with you guy too!

I’m very sorry about the wall of text and stuff and I hope I haven’t offended anyone, I’ve just felt I needed to get that off my chest for a while now.

Thanks for your reply to my pseudo-swear related query TSG, I’ll respond soon.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:07PM EDT
Quote

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

@WarpXR: Well, as long as the internet it the internet, there is porn of pretty much anything in any circumstances. Look at Derpibooru under the tag “Button’s mother”, nearly everything there is porn.

I’m not saying I don’t care or I agree with it. It’s because, unfortunetly, we can’t do much to stop that. Look at UK, they tried to ban porn of all kinds and a lot of people got angry.

But I thought Google had some Safe-search filter, or is it just for Images?

Well, look at her. She’s easily one of the more attractive ponies in fandom lore, even if you aren’t into ponies.


@Crash: So you’re an Anti Villan? Got it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:36PM EDT
Quote

@Lunar

What if you’re taking a small departure into meta-fiction? Or are giving your characters medium awareness? Or something else?
…Basically… Doing it for laughs?
The fact someone gets censor bleeped can be funny after all.
…Otherwise, no real objection here.

Oh for sure. I give that a pass. Sometimes censorship can be utilised in an effective and humorous way and I totally welcome that because it’s being used as tool to enhance the script rather than to avoid hurting anyone’s feelings.

In Borderlands 2. Claptrap says ‘fuck’ but he always bleeps himself out. He’s the only character in the game that does this. This is because his self-censorship is “part of his programming”. I quite like that added characterisation.

There’s a particular YGOTAS episode where Yugi dresses himself in new clothes and he puts on a whole bunch of leather and chains. When he switches minds with Yami, Yami sees himself wearing this ridiculous outfit and freaks out. His entire paragraph is a massive string of BLEEP and it’s goddamn funny because you are using your imagination to fill in the blanks while he says things like “I’m going to BLEEP you BLEEP with a BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP until you BLEEP you a BLEEP new BLEEP


Guys, I should point out that I don’t care that much about how writers use the term ‘Buck’. It’s just a nitpick. I’d still advise avoiding it though.


@CrashGordon

Just enjoy whatever you want to enjoy. Be free.

And remember, you don’t have to call yourself a Brony to like poni. In fact it’s probably better not to. I’ve even decided myself that I don’t really want to label myself that way, in the same way that I don’t accept the furry label even though I like furry art. I’m just a guy who likes poni

Last edited Aug 14, 2013 at 10:00PM EDT
Aug 14, 2013 at 09:59PM EDT
Quote

Takes deep inhale
Smell that? That’s the smell of intense nerddom. God, how I missed that smell.
I may not have been very active lately, but I have been lurking a bit. I am currently pretty addicted to watching Button’s Adventures

No… Not those types of adventures…

Kewln00b wrote:

Apparently Button’s Mom’s name is…….Benis :D :D

Why that name? What’s the meaning behind it? How the heck is it supposed to be pronounced? I think I’ll stick with “Button’s Mom”

@Disturbed:

It only took a few months a couple hours.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:26PM EDT
Quote

CrashGordon94 wrote:

@Me having not watched the show: You’re totally right, it’s really strange of me to post here without having seen the show, there are reasons…
First of all, this is something I’ve really wanted to confess for a while: I’m not actually a Brony, I guess I’m a “lapsed pony hater”. I truely hated the show and was legitimately getting totally pissed about seeing it everywhere ever since it hit a forum I went to not long after FIM became big. This extended to my lurking here (quite a while before I registered), it was annoying me but I began to sometimes check out the Pony pics in the recommendations out of curiosity, which I then did more and more frequently and eventually they left me with enough to say that I signed up to comment (you can tell where I started, given that my earliest comments included talking about shooting Sweetie Belle with a MAC-10).
I really went to this thread because I had a couple of burning questions about this stuff that I wanted answered, I was about to leave after they were very kindly answered but I kinda got sucked in and now I frequent here even though I still feel like a outsider sometimes.But I really do like it here, and I generally do feel at home.
I’ve been in an awkward limbo regarding MLP ever since I began to regularly look at stuff on here about it, one part of me wanting to try the show and one part wanting to avoid it. I’m still in this dilemma dispite frequenting here and Derpibooru, learning about quite a number of the characters and even forming opinions about them because of three things:
1) One part of me just wants to go back to being a proper pony-hater. This bit took a pretty big blow looking at an MLP hate group on Deviantart and I basically thought that it was pretty damn vile, and that I actually didn’t care as much about the “dark side” of Bonydom in comparison. Still, this does still have an impact on me sometimes, though it’s getting less and less.
2) Another part of me doesn’t want to be a Brony or try the show just because I don’t want to be judged by my real-life family and friends for it, as silly as it might sound.
3) Yet another part just doesn’t want to give in, because I’ve hated something venemously without trying it then tried it and ended up liking it (a few examples include soda, alcohol, tea, shooters and the Grand Theft Auto series) and my pride just doesn’t want to let me add My Little Pony to the list.
But even so, I don’t really think I’m going to “go back” to how I was before, it really feels like I’ve crossed the Pony Event Horizon and it’s only a matter of time before those points give way, I try the show and I end up going full Brony.
As a final point, it was never really against the fans. Hating someone because they like a cartoon is ridiculous, a lot of my friends online like the show and I’ve had good experiences with you guy too!

I’m very sorry about the wall of text and stuff and I hope I haven’t offended anyone, I’ve just felt I needed to get that off my chest for a while now.

Thanks for your reply to my pseudo-swear related query TSG, I’ll respond soon.

I’m glad you could be honest about that since I understand how in a pony forum it might be hard to be honest about not being into the show.

You say a part of you doesn’t want to be a Brony or try the show just because you don’t want to be judged by your real-life family and friends for it, that doesn’t sound silly at all, since I’m sure majority of Bronies you’d speak too understand that from an outsiders perspective specially family and friends it might seem strange and although many friends wouldn’t be bothered by it and may get into it themselves, parents it’s hard to tell and there isn’t any rule that you can like the show but you have to tell everyone you know, if it’s something you think someone wouldn’t understand then that’s fine they don’t need to know. You can only tell people you want to know about it.

I understand what you are saying about the pride thing since I can be pretty stubborn too, however a friend once taught me a very important lesson that sometimes pride isn’t the most important thing in the world, and that it’s better to be wrong for something and admit to it rather than fight something you know is right but you cannot be honest about and it took me many years to learn the right way to be wrong. People can change their minds about something, it doesn’t have to be about pride or anything like that, and you should never avoid something on the fear of being wrong because being wrong is how you learn to be a better you and it’s how you grow as a person.
Though I’m glad you feel you won’t be going back to the pony-hater side of things, since being a Brony is just as much about the fandom as it is the TV show, and I have made many friends that I would have never met if I weren’t apart of the fandom. Also if you don’t want to call yourself a Brony then you don’t have too, like I said before there isn’t really a list if requirements just pick and choose what parts you like and what parts you don’t, I don’t really refer to myself as a Brony but I consider myself apart of the fandom.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:26PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Takes deep inhale
Smell that? That’s the smell of intense nerddom. God, how I missed that smell.
I may not have been very active lately, but I have been lurking a bit. I am currently pretty addicted to watching Button’s Adventures

No… Not those types of adventures…

Kewln00b wrote:

Apparently Button’s Mom’s name is…….Benis :D :D

Why that name? What’s the meaning behind it? How the heck is it supposed to be pronounced? I think I’ll stick with “Button’s Mom”

@Disturbed:

It only took a few months a couple hours.

It was one of those “First post with Dubs names this character” post. Now, those are serious bsns threads so don’t question it. Just go along with our new character named Benis :D :D……god sometimes I just fucking hate 4chan.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:13PM EDT
Quote

@Being part of the fandom but not calling yourself a brony

Isn’t the definition of a brony just someone who participates in the fandom? What’s the difference between someone who is active in the fandom, consumes pony content, participates in intense discussion about pony, makes pony art, et cetera, et cetera, and does identify as a brony, and someone who is active in the fandom, consumes pony content, participates in intense discussion about pony, makes pony art, et cetera, et cetera, and doesn’t identify as a brony? Where’s the cutoff? If you were to look at another person, at what point would you say, “Yes, that person is a brony,” as opposed to saying, “No, that person is not a brony, even though they watch the show, participate in the fandom, and draw colorful horses in their spare time.”

I’m not trying to call you all hypocrites. There’s a lot of negative stigma associated with the term “brony,” so it’s understandable that some people would want to avoid it. But that doesn’t change the fact that they’re still very much part of the fandom, which is basically the textbook definition of “brony.” I could be a chain smoker, something generally perceived as very negative, and just call myself “a connoisseur of fine cigarettes,” but that doesn’t change the fact I’m a chain smoker.

I’d just like to hear why so many people who fit the definition say they aren’t bronies. If someone on the street asked if I am a brony, I would say yes; I spend much more time watching and discussing My Little Pony than the average person of my age, and I’m very active in the fandom.

But in all seriousness, horsefucker is the more accurate term anyways.

Been a while since I last posted some best pony.

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 12:10AM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 12:08AM EDT
Quote

Going back a ways to that video from Equestria Girls:

Did they say that we’re getting fish ponies in space?!
GASP

Pieces Pony confirmed!
Zodiac Ponies for season five!


@Buck talk

Yeah, I generally dislike the use of ‘buck’ in lieu of profanity, but it isn’t because I think that censorship is wrong or that it makes ‘bucking’ take on odd implications.
I dislike it because it just sounds so… ‘off’ to me.
It just doesn’t make any sense.
Human profanity typically revolves around things that are disgusting or vulgar, such as feces or violent sexual acts.
‘Buck’ doesn’t fit that mold.
It describes a pretty mundane action for ponies that only takes on a naughty connotation when viewed by humans because it rhymes with one of our curse words.
(Actually, now that I think about it, this is basically the same argument I made against ponies using the word ‘plot’ in-universe. It just makes no sense for the characters to use the language that way since it only has the intended implications when seen from our perspective.)
Obviously, parody and satire are excepted from this rule because they do it because it is dumb, but still…

For a nice counter-example, xTSGx mentioned ‘horseapples’ as another bit of ponified profanity.
However, I do not believe that ‘horseapples’ and ‘buck’ are comparable.
‘Horseapples’ is used as a pony swear because it describes feces, a very common trend in human cursing.
It does not attempt to rhyme with our words in order to push some kind of weird pun, but instead translates the basic concept into something that would make sense when spoken by a pony.
It fits the world it is intended to be spoken in.

Oh, and I guess i should say, I don’t really see anything wrong with ponies just using our words.
Human profanity doesn’t really have elements that are overly human-specific, so there’s no real reason why ponies wouldn’t use them in similar ways to us.


@Exudes

Sorry guys, but if you like pony, you watch pony, and you hang out on the internet discussing pony, you are a brony.
Trying to create two nearly indistinguishable tags for different sects of a fanbase almost always turns into a game of “People I like are this, people I don’t are this.”
Creating their own label for the ‘true’ fans just helps them feel better about themselves as it (falsely) creates a barrier between themselves and anyone they don’t like who they might otherwise be associated with.
It’s silly and worse, so transparently image-focused, that it just makes you look silly.

By the way, though this was sparked by Crash’s comments, it is in no way aimed at him.
You are not avoiding the word brony because you are trying to dodge stigma, you seem to just not think you have ‘earned’ it yet because you haven’t watched the show.
That seems like a decent enough reason to hesitate (though I would argue that you could still call yourself a brony if you want to).


@Button’s Mom

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 01:38AM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 01:33AM EDT
Quote

@Being part of the fandom but not calling yourself a brony

It’s purely a personal choice. And I believe that when it comes to hobbies and personal interests, you have a lot of that. I wouldn’t compare liking ponu to smoking. One carries a lot more implications about you than the other and has a much more direct and lasting impact on your well being and that of those around you.

So categorizing smokers is a bit more important. Categorizing people who enjoy cute little ponies? A bit less important. It’s just a hobby. It’s not that critical.

I’m not talking about exacting definitions here. Am I a brony by definition? Yes. I’m not disputing that.

I simply believe I have the right to choose what labels define who I am as a person. There’s no rules in life that say that just because I enjoy something, that means I need to wear that fact like a badge. I can just say, “I like this” and that’s what I say to everyone else around me. I find that saying “I like this cartoon” vomits much less spaghetti than saying “I am [insert label here]”

I am simply myself. I decide who I am. If I don’t want to call myself by a certain label, especially to avoid being stigmatized unfairly, I think I have that right.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:19AM EDT
Quote

@Calling yourself a brony

Initially, the term was a joke; apparently it was sarcastic enough to catch on because here we are today using it. Personally, I wouldn’t call myself one, I am just a fan of the show. You can slap a label on me as much as you want, but I will still refer to myself as a fan. But in the end I do fit the definition of a “brony” but that still does not make me one, I decide if I am a “brony” or not. In the end it is just a label and I am not liable to be classified by it or not.

Personally, I think Mare-men is better.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:06AM EDT
Quote

^See, here’s someone who knows what I’m talking about.

This is not a matter of lining up with definitions or splitting the fandom into groups of “those I like and those I don’t”. I wasn’t talking about any of that. You guys way over-think this stuff, sometimes.

This is merely a case of exercising ones right to self-identify. If you look like a Brony, talk like a Brony, act like a Brony, smell like a Brony; then you are probably a Brony. But in the end it should still be your choice if you want to use that label or not. Simple as that.

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:42AM EDT
Quote

Well, thank you for understanding everyone! No really, it means a lot to me!
@Calling myself a Brony: I know I don’t have to, it wasn’t the term I was railing against and if I did try MLP I wouldn’t feel particularly adverse to calling myself that. I definitely would reject being one until I watch it, though.
@Jimmy: Anti Villains? I do not believe that they exist.
shot by an Anti Villain
Seriously though, I really don’t want to be an antagonist to you guys, even one with BS sympathetic qualities. :(
@Dr Whooves: Yeah, if/when I try it I don’t think I’ll really tell my IRL friends/family. Won’t lie about it though, so I guess I just hope they don’t ask directly… Mum and Dad probably wouldn’t but I’m not sure about one of my friends…
And you’re definitely right that I should try and get over the pride aspect, I’ve had a lot of fun with those things I listed. As a strong example, GTA: San Andreas is one of my favorite games ever (like, a real serious competitor for the Number 1 slot), yet I never would’ve tried it if I hadn’t gotten past my hatred of Grand Theft Auto.
And I was expecting that you guys would be pleased I’m not going back to being a proper pony-hater. It seems that grates on some people I know who don’t even like the show.

In all honesty, I’ll probably try and watch all the show sometime between now and S4, at least I’m guessing so.

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:59AM EDT
Quote

WarpXR said:

Guys, I know this is the internet with porn, shipping and rule 43 but… is it going too far?

As someone who regularly browses Fimfiction with the mature tag on, I can safely say that foalcon is on the lighter side of the Lovecraftian horrors.

CrashGordon94 said:

But even so, I don’t really think I’m going to “go back” to how I was before, it really feels like I’ve crossed the Pony Event Horizon and it’s only a matter of time before those points give way, I try the show and I end up going full Brony.

You’re already on the ride (which, as everyone knows, never ends), so you might as well upgrade to first class and join the Twilicorn Cult in confirming best pony watch the show. Not to mention the fact that once S4 roles around, it’s going to become quite lonely in here for those who aren’t in the loop.

Blue Screen said:

And remember, you don’t have to call yourself a Brony to like poni. In fact it’s probably better not to. I’ve even decided myself that I don’t really want to label myself that way, in the same way that I don’t accept the furry label even though I like furry art. I’m just a guy who likes poni

>implying it’s the group itself and not outside people that solidify proper nouns identifying them

Like it or not, for most people not involved in the pone, Brony = teenage/adult male fan of My Little Pony. We just can’t let the linguistical arguments die, can we?

@Crimson Locks

For some reason, that pic instantly reminds me of DS9’s pilot.

“We just can’t leave her here! AURGH! GRAGH!

Blue Screen said:

There’s no rules in life that say that just because I enjoy something, that means I need to wear that fact like a badge.

>implying that’s not how proper nouns work, or just regular nouns for that matter

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:07AM EDT
Quote

@TSG

Oh for the love of Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatelo, the renaissance artists they are named for and all that is freaking holy!

I AM NOT MAKING AN ARGUMENT BASED ON LINGUISTICS OR TERMINOLOGY!

I AM MAKING AN ARGUMENT BASED ON PERSONAL SELF IDENTITY!

WHERE AM I TALKING ABOUT NOUNS?

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 07:53AM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 07:50AM EDT
Quote

Kewln00bs name isn't special wrote:

It was one of those “First post with Dubs names this character” post. Now, those are serious bsns threads so don’t question it. Just go along with our new character named Benis :D :D……god sometimes I just fucking hate 4chan.

>mfw i was the OP

Don’t judge me. I didn’t mean to give her any name. i didn’t even tried to do that. That was just a bait.
I died when some anon posted “benis :DD” and got doubles. Also, Shhh keep it secret.
Oh btw, here is a screencap from that thread
Am i a faggot? No doubt..

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 08:36AM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 08:15AM EDT
Quote

@The Brony label

ExudesAffluence wrote:

I’d just like to hear why so many people who fit the definition say they aren’t bronies.

Quite simple. They don’t want the attached stigma the label brings. Oh sure, they’ll give all sorts of different reasons, but at the end of the day, it all boils down to that.

That’s not to say I’ll fault them for it, it’s undeniably the smart thing to do. Hell, I’ll bet most don’t even consciously recognize the fact that they’re avoiding the stigma, since it’s such an instinctive thing. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that we humans, despite all our boasting and bravado, are still very much slaves to our more basic impulses. In this case, the desire to belong.

See, back in the old days, being cast out was as good as being executed. Worse, in fact. At least the gallows provided a relatively quick death. Being out in the wilderness all by your lonesome could stretch it quite a bit before hunger, beasts or insanity finally put you out of your misery. Thus, we’ve developed a mindset that abhors differing from the norm, because, as the Japanese saying goes, the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Of course, nowadays being cast out of one group just means seeking out another one, so it isn’t quite as strict anymore. Though, you’ll still find that very few people will willingly admit to things that are universally scorned. Now, bronies aren’t exactly universally scorned, but they definitely aren’t viewed favourably outside of certain safe circles. So yeah, if you’re not like me, a glutton for punishment who thinks the scorn of the masses proves me right, I’d advise to keep your love of pastel miniature equines to yourself. Though, if your friends and family would disown you for something like this, I’d say you’re better off without ’em.

A word of advice for those who refuse to accept the label, though.

While some people will be alright with it and see it as a semantics issue with little relevance, others will not be quite so understanding. They’ll think you’re dishonest or trying to trick them, and if there’s one group that’s universally scorned, it’s liars and traitors. With those sorts of people, it might be more prudent to accept the lesser scorn of the brony label, rather than the greater scorn of the betrayer label.

Personally, I’d rather people stop trying to pigeonhole folks with all these labels (or at least recognize that such a label is only a neutral identifier bereft of ulterior meaning), but that’s not gonna happen any day soon. In the meantime, all one can do is play it cloak-and-dagger or become an outcast. Such is our lot in life.

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:43AM EDT
Quote

@TSG: Yeah, I think you’re right about this, I’m already basically “in” so I might as well stop fighting it…

I think I’m ready to reply to your points regarding the swear substitutes now, actually.
“Getting Crap Past The Radar” is a good point actually. All I could really say is that if it was going to be a higher rating anyway or if there’s gonna be a lot of serious swearing it’s probably better to use the full-fat stuff (and in the case case, take the Teen rating on the chin). Though this makes me wonder… Is not getting an “Everyone” rating really an issue? I think even the Bronies with lighter sensibilities are more concerned about avoiding specific things, rather than “MUST HAVE E RATING” and having the target audience wandering around Fimfiction is a recipe for disaster anyway.
As for depth, I’m going to have to strongly disagree. One of my all-time favorite web review shows, SF Debris had a lot to say when Star Trek pulled this very same shit and the same applies here. It’s very transparent name-swaps of our stuff, pun-focused and all revolves around one particular theme (in this case, horse stuff) so it doesn’t work a real “alien” culture so much as it really enforces that “this is a human-made show trying to make this sound alien”. Now, I know you’re never really going to get totally away from that but really, this is kind of a really weak attempt. I mean really, it’d be like us having place names like Humanville and Personstan…
As for suspension of disbelief, that’s a good idea but I think 90% of Pony things have stuff that should break it as hard or harder, so why fight it?

On a sidenote: I’m still subscribed but I’m not getting my emails when someone replies to this thread. Any idea how I can fix this, anyone?

Aug 15, 2013 at 09:23AM EDT
Quote

@Brownmane

Much respect for you, man.

I’ll will admit that not wanting to be stigmatised is the core of my decision as well. I recently discovered that I have certain people in my close circles who would do so. So I think it’s better for me in my position to only take the label lightly.

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with being a Brony or calling yourself one. If nothing is going to go wrong if you subscribe to a label, have at it. But there are situational cases where you don’t really want your labels advertised and right now one such situation appeared for me. So I’m just not openly calling myself a Brony if it means I can dodge an awkward situation without actually changing anything, nor lying to anyone.

Now everyone I know, knows I like pony. That is no secret with my family and friends at all. Ponies are all over my Facebook page. I don’t hide it. But I told nobody that I’m a ‘Brony’. This isn’t lying. or treachery. I hope nobody sees it that way. This is simply tact. In my life experience I learned that people can jump to a lot of conclusions about you if they know you come under a certain label that they don’t understand. So when you are in a context where certain labels are not understood by most anybody, no end of awkwardness can appear when you attach those labels to yourself. For example, if I proclaimed on Facebook right now that I am a Brony. This conversation would most certainly happen:

“What’s a Brony?”
“It means your a guy who’s into MLP
“Why? That sounds weird.”
“Because it’s a good show”
“Well yea, but…why call yourself that?”
“Well it’s Bro and Pony put together”
“That’s sad”

Spaghetti rating: 5/10 (With a chance of going right to 10 depending on how I play it. DISCLAIMER: Factors in the example are determined by the people only I know personally. Your results may differ)

Whereas telling people that I like ponies leads to this

“Why would you like something like that?”
“I just think they are cute”
“Eh, I suppose so”

Spaghetti rating 1/10

Lesson: People don’t think much if you are a “fan of something”. But they think a lot if you “are something”.

Now around KYM, I have no problems calling myself a Brony. Because I know nothing will get awkward from doing so. Furthermore it’s easier for myself and others on KYM if I associate with the name. EG: Some people here want to meet Bronies, so here’s one.

But IRL and when talking to new people in new environments, I’m only going to admit that I think those ponies on the internet are cute and appealing (and only when the subject is brought up). This information is easier for people to swallow and accept than “I’m a member of this certain club which you may or may not already have mixed feelings about”. My first impression with people are easier this way and so are my relationships with friends who insist that labels are the worst thing ever (There are some people who try the wrong labels, get judged for them and come off with bad impressions)

How do I feel about going from someone who proudly used a label, to someone who no longer uses it? Indifferent really. Because from my point of view, I don’t need any kind of label to define me. When you really think about it: It doesn’t matter that much how you use a fandom-based label, or if you use it.

This fandom is all about fun, and calling yourself a Brony is just for fun too. It’s not a big deal what you do with it

So if some people are going to get confused by a label I use, then it’s easier for me to just let that label slide. That’s okay. No skin off my back. I’m still gonna fap non-sexually to those horses.

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 10:21AM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 10:06AM EDT
Quote

Kewln00b wrote:

Apparently Button’s Mom’s name is…….Benis :D :D

[Click on image for higher resolution.]

Alex Mercer you beautiful man.

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 11:04AM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 10:50AM EDT
Quote

@Blue Screen

Now everyone I know, knows I like pony. That is no secret with my family and friends at all. Ponies are all over my Facebook page. I don’t hide it. But I told nobody that I’m a ‘Brony’. This isn’t lying. or treachery. I hope nobody sees it that way. This is simply tact.

That’s perfectly reasonable. But in your scenario the audience doesn’t know what a brony is or are unaware of the implications. So, what would you do if one of them asked “Dude, are you one of them bronies?” and you couldn’t really ascertain their intention? Simply admitting it could lead to them assuming you’re the stereotype. Asking for clarification on their views on bronies looks pretty dubious. Claiming to just like the show is also rather incriminating. Hopefully that won’t ever happen to you, as it’d be quite difficult to squirm out of that one.

My first impression with people are easier this way and so are my relationships with friends who insist that labels are the worst thing ever (There are some people who try the wrong labels, get judged for them and come off with bad impressions)

Yeah well, that’s a given. It ain’t exactly a wise thing to list absolutely everything you’re into upon first contact. I personally prefer not revealing much anything, myself. ‘Course, that makes me seem cold, aloof and uninviting, but then, I’m interested in finding out if people try looking past that or not.

Because from my point of view, I don’t need any kind of label to define me.

That’s all well and good, but that’s only how you feel. The unfortunate reality is that people tend to label folks and define them in only those narrow terms, without asking said folks for their input. They don’t even recognize they do that, it’s so deeply ingrained, and we’re all guilty of it to some degree. And admittedly, it has its uses, as it helps speed up the thought process. Unfortunately, it also increases the likelihood of the products of that thought process being faulty, but it’s not like most people care about little details like that.

So if some people are going to get confused by a label I use, then it’s easier for me to just let that label slide. That’s okay. No skin off my back.

You know, you’re surrounded by pretty nice and accepting folk. Be thankful for that fact, not all of use are quite so lucky. ‘Course, it’s quite likely that this idea that people in my corner of the world are intolerant could just be all in my head, but I ain’t exactly willing to risk testing that hypothesis. Oh sure, my family knows (for the most part, and I may have left out a crucial detail or two-dozen) and don’t really care, but other people? Heh, wouldn’t go betting on it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:28AM EDT
Quote

My main gripe with the term ‘brony’ is the fact that back in the day we used that title about as seriously as a clown on coke. You know, kinda like how we came up with that ‘love and tolerate’ bullshit that we just used against trolls to make them mad. Then suddenly the filthy casuals became bronies the fandom grew bigger and people took the title and the motto to heart (saw some guy talking about how he was going to have love and tolerate tattooed on his back). Call me what you want but I honestly don’t want to be labeled for what I like (Except for the KISS Army, that way I get discounts on KISS tickets and get a chance to buy them before the filthy casuals get the chance).

It just seems weird to have to make a label for what you like, I love Gatorade does that make me a Gatorader? My favorite movie franchise is Rambo so does that make me a Rambonoid? As far as I’m concerned I’m just a fan of pony, especially considering I don’t care for fanwork and I discuss the show because…..well are you supposed to not talk about things you like?

@Alex Mercer, no sir, you are a wonderful man.

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 11:30AM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 11:29AM EDT
Quote

CrashGordon94 wrote:

Well, thank you for understanding everyone! No really, it means a lot to me!
@Calling myself a Brony: I know I don’t have to, it wasn’t the term I was railing against and if I did try MLP I wouldn’t feel particularly adverse to calling myself that. I definitely would reject being one until I watch it, though.
@Jimmy: Anti Villains? I do not believe that they exist.
shot by an Anti Villain
Seriously though, I really don’t want to be an antagonist to you guys, even one with BS sympathetic qualities. :(
@Dr Whooves: Yeah, if/when I try it I don’t think I’ll really tell my IRL friends/family. Won’t lie about it though, so I guess I just hope they don’t ask directly… Mum and Dad probably wouldn’t but I’m not sure about one of my friends…
And you’re definitely right that I should try and get over the pride aspect, I’ve had a lot of fun with those things I listed. As a strong example, GTA: San Andreas is one of my favorite games ever (like, a real serious competitor for the Number 1 slot), yet I never would’ve tried it if I hadn’t gotten past my hatred of Grand Theft Auto.
And I was expecting that you guys would be pleased I’m not going back to being a proper pony-hater. It seems that grates on some people I know who don’t even like the show.

In all honesty, I’ll probably try and watch all the show sometime between now and S4, at least I’m guessing so.

The definition of an Anti Villain is a villain who doesn’t want to be bad, are confused about their loyalties, etc. A good example is Roxas from the Kingdom Hearts games.


@Brony: Brony, pegasister, ponyfag, horsefucker, hoofer… what does it matter? They’re just labels, some more vulgar than others. Still, “man-colter” sounds like a pony version of Manchester. Mancolter. Yeah…


@Button’s Mom Name: As long as it’s not Benis, I’m cool.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:39AM EDT
Quote

I don’t hide the fact that I’m a brony publicly, yet I’m cautious with who receives that information. Although I don’t care whether they find out, I know it can and will be used against me. Society isn’t very forgiving and shows no mercy. My method is to prevent unwanted problems with closed minded people by keeping my personal life private. My mother, my two sisters, and my best friends are the only ones that know I’m a brony. (Except you guys, of course.)

@Crash
Same here, I’m not receiving any email notifications at all.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:51AM EDT
Quote

I don’t hide that I’m a brony either, wore a pony shirt a couple of times in public, didn’t get any reactions or so. So far, the only people I know that know I’m one seem to be my family and friends, and they don’t seem to mind that.

@Crash and Vintiezre
Same here, no KYM notifications at all.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:02PM EDT
Quote

Email Notifications:

Probably a bug after some recent email notification updates. I’ve notified the staff, so it should be fixed soon.

Edit: It’s fixed.

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 12:40PM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 12:08PM EDT
Quote

Jimmy Lethal wrote:

The definition of an Anti Villain is a villain who doesn’t want to be bad, are confused about their loyalties, etc. A good example is Roxas from the Kingdom Hearts games.


@Brony: Brony, pegasister, ponyfag, horsefucker, hoofer… what does it matter? They’re just labels, some more vulgar than others. Still, “man-colter” sounds like a pony version of Manchester. Mancolter. Yeah…


@Button’s Mom Name: As long as it’s not Benis, I’m cool.

Oh, I know what an Anti Villain is, honestly I thought the last thing I said about that would’ve made that clear… I was just making that Princess Bride joke to diffuse the situation and because I thought it’d be fitting/funny.
Fluttershy is obviously from Mancolter!

I heard some people suggest Milano, how’s that? Also, you said you thought anyone would find her attractive, right? Then I guess I’m gonna have to be the exception.

@Email: Ah, I see. Glad it’s been fixed!

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:24PM EDT
Quote

Milano seems like a last name to me and I don’t find her attractive, that’s the thing. I find ponies cute, not attractive.

Aug 15, 2013 at 01:45PM EDT
Quote

CrashGordon94 wrote:

Oh, I know what an Anti Villain is, honestly I thought the last thing I said about that would’ve made that clear… I was just making that Princess Bride joke to diffuse the situation and because I thought it’d be fitting/funny.
Fluttershy is obviously from Mancolter!

I heard some people suggest Milano, how’s that? Also, you said you thought anyone would find her attractive, right? Then I guess I’m gonna have to be the exception.

@Email: Ah, I see. Glad it’s been fixed!

Milano, huh? That’s actually got a nice ring to it. And Fluttershy isn’t from Mancolter, she’s from Maretana, a.k.a. Middle of Nowhere, Equestria.


Page get. I dedicate to best dentist.

Last edited Aug 15, 2013 at 01:48PM EDT
Aug 15, 2013 at 01:45PM EDT
Quote

Howdy! You must login or signup first!