Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VII: Live Free or Twi Hard

Last posted Jul 06, 2014 at 04:08PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22AM EDT
9943 posts from 165 users

Well folks, how far is too far?

Well I think we got too far. Sure, the MLP Image Gallery has always been a NSFW place but this is just ridiculous seeing some people trying to turn this into their personal NSFW Image dump. Welp, let's just hope these aren't the people who complain when everyone says Bronies are nothing but perverts.

And apparently this is a page get…….

Since it's hard to read sarcasm on the internet. /Sarcasm.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 01:50PM EDT

Eh

The big amount of NSFW pics doesn't really worry me. There are a lot of images like that trought the whole gallery, it just happened they were submited around the same time. Just the usual.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 02:00PM EDT

@MLP image gallery
I just don't know why admins won't disable uploads to that image gallery or why they haven't done this before.
More than giving examples(i don't care NSFW or not) of the subculture itself(i thought KYM is for this), that image gallery is now only most of the users personal joy of shitposting. Even admins don't care, why should i care?

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 02:20PM EDT

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

@MLP image gallery
I just don't know why admins won't disable uploads to that image gallery or why they haven't done this before.
More than giving examples(i don't care NSFW or not) of the subculture itself(i thought KYM is for this), that image gallery is now only most of the users personal joy of shitposting. Even admins don't care, why should i care?

Shitstorms man, never ending shitstorms. I actually don't care when I see an NSFW post sitting in the gallery as well, there are other pictures on the page that I could easily look at and I don't see the problem with a few people going "Ooh, an NSFW picture that's not TOO NSFW, Imma post it on the KYM gallery" but now it's literally two people posting a page worth of NSFW and turning the gallery into their personal NSFW dump (decided to actually click on one of them to make sure they weren't posting regular old troll pictures but…..no they were NSFW, a few of them REALLY NSFW to the point where I don't even know if said pictures will get removed or not).

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

@MLP image gallery

We actually had this discussion back when the fandom was taking off. Basically, since the subculture is still growing and changing all the time, we need to be able to document it, and the galleries are a quick and easy way to do that. Though, I wasn't a mod at the time, so I don't know the specifics of the discussion. Perhaps you could ask one of the admins.

Furthermore, I know for a fact that your characterization of the gallery as being a "shitposting" hotspot is inaccurate. I'm in there all the time, and I see nearly every image that gets posted there. Yes, there is shitposting, but a huge quantity of high-quality images get posted there every day. The fact is, if we shut the entry down KYM would miss out on a vast trove of excellent content.

So yah, I'm against locking it.

@Brony Friends

I went half a year spending it day in and day out of college with this group of people, then one day I over-heard the name "Celestia" being mentioned, not only did they happen to be bronies, but they had liked it all that time that I had known them, all the wasted time we could have spent talking about ponies… it's not like the area is full of Bronies either, just us, it was a big coincidence.

A general life question: is it better to take a big risk on something where it can either go really right or really wrong, or is it better to play it safe knowing that nothing can go wrong however the ideal end result will never be achievable?

@Brony Friends

None of my friends IRL are bronies. They know that I'm a brony and they don't care. My family knows that I'm a brony and most of them either think that I'm a creep or they just don't care. The only relatives of mine that watch the show are my two nieces. But I guess they're not bronies, they're…..normal fans of the show?

>Basically, since the subculture is still growing and changing all the time, we need to be able to document it, and the galleries are a quick and easy way to do that.

That doesn't mean that the gallery needs to fullfilled with unnecessary stuff.

>Furthermore, I know for a fact that your characterization of the gallery as being a “shitposting” hotspot is inaccurate.

You are kidding right?

>I’m in there all the time, and I see nearly every image that gets posted there. Yes, there is shitposting, but a huge quantity of high-quality images get posted there every day.

Too bad, most of the quality images just dissolve between the unnecessary uploads. I think only mods should be able to upload stufffs to MLP gallery.

>The fact is, if we shut the entry down KYM would miss out on a vast trove of excellent content.

Then how do people (who interested in brony subculture) weed out the good contents in the whole garbage? We are here to make them more informed, right? Just explain this to me.

If i were an admin, i would disable the image gallery uploads to MLP entry and only allow mods to upload stuffs. At least i would program an upload limit for all the users.
Come on Platus! Admit it. Are we really need all of these images?

I don't know. I don't care. I am not monitoring this site nor babysitting it and since admins are okay with it.. Fine. I have nothing to say. But i am still against it. No not MLP uploads, i am against the lack of the good and the overflood of the bad contents.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 04:40PM EDT

@Image Gallery
I'm heavily opposed to any form of censorship/locking. People can complain about "NSFW personal image dumping ground" but no one bats an eye over Unraveler, Gammerick, etc turning the Gallery into their own personal dumping grounds. Or over LezHuarez's troll pics. Or Advance's Rarity spam.

You can complain about "shitposting" but the fact is, I get all of my pics from the Image Gallery, some of which would be lost forever due to 4chan's auto-deletion. Are there some crap pics? Of course, but whenever someone complains, they always seem to leave out the fact that along with the MS Paint picture, there's also a Pony Berserker comic.

In addition, there's nothing in the (nonexistent) site rules that says people can't post multiple images at once. None of the NSFW images posted violate the NSFW guidelines (no genitalia, etc). The admins/mods can't punish someone/the Image Gallery for doing something that's perfectly within site rules. That's how you get website fascist dystopias and users spray painting "Resist the Hammer" on the sides of entries while the Rebellion tries to petition Emperor Huh of the Cheezeburger Empire to send relief forces.

Dr Whooves said:

then one day I over-heard the name “Celestia” being mentioned,

>Dr Whooves face when

I agree that the galleries/entries should not be locked from uploading. Combined with the entry comments, they're probably the closest thing to a realtime timeline this fandom, or any fandom that I can see, is going to have; one that candidly records everything from the extraordinary/noteworthy to the mundane, and without the rose-tinted glasses or outsiders bias/ignorance that would plague such a thing were it compiled post facto, after the fandom had all but dried up and history were preparing to cast its judgement upon how all successive humans would view this phenomenon in retrospect.

When filming a documentary, you do not meddle in the affairs of your subject; you do not indulge in your sympathies and save the zebra from the lion, nor kill the insects you happen upon merely because you find them repulsive or frightening. No. If you wade into this river, you do so acknowledging and accepting that the water will feel cold and the bottom will feel slimy. No one has to wade in further than they are willing, but the most dedicated will wade out into the cold river balls deep, and then some, submerging and becoming one with the rivers flow, all for the sake of our great mission: to record the path carved by the river, and understand its many wonders!
/unnecessarilycolorfulrambling

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

@Issue #10: IF YA SMEEELLLLLLLLLLL

But The Rock isn't a DJ… And Vinyl Scratch isn't a wrestler or an action hero…. Am I missing something? I mean, besides the eerie similar of those pics, I can totally see that.

@Gallery Censorship:

Seriously though, that would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater on a rather massive level. Even if specific people abuse it, it makes oodles more sense to specifically punish them.
Also, a lot of the NSFW pics are really rather well-received. Just sayin'…

@Princesses (Are we still on that?): So apparently someone was saying that according to some book or something, Cadance was originally a Pegasus before becoming an alicorn. Since we already know that Twilight turned into an alicorn, and since there are really no contradictions to Cadance transforming like that as well, perhaps there's no such thing as being "born an alicorn," and maybe it's just a ritual or something that was done only to the four of them?

On a more depressing note, anyone ever thought about since Cadance is an alicorn and Shining Armor isn't, if Cadance lives the way that Celestia/Luna do, Shining Armor will die and Cadance will have to spend centuries alone and ruling Equestria (with Twilight, who would also probably be somewhat sad about centuries of outliving the other main ponies.) Wait a second. Because of the marriage, Twilight and Cadance technically are sisters.

That might be what happened with Celestia and Luna.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 05:58PM EDT

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

>Basically, since the subculture is still growing and changing all the time, we need to be able to document it, and the galleries are a quick and easy way to do that.

That doesn't mean that the gallery needs to fullfilled with unnecessary stuff.

>Furthermore, I know for a fact that your characterization of the gallery as being a “shitposting” hotspot is inaccurate.

You are kidding right?

>I’m in there all the time, and I see nearly every image that gets posted there. Yes, there is shitposting, but a huge quantity of high-quality images get posted there every day.

Too bad, most of the quality images just dissolve between the unnecessary uploads. I think only mods should be able to upload stufffs to MLP gallery.

>The fact is, if we shut the entry down KYM would miss out on a vast trove of excellent content.

Then how do people (who interested in brony subculture) weed out the good contents in the whole garbage? We are here to make them more informed, right? Just explain this to me.

If i were an admin, i would disable the image gallery uploads to MLP entry and only allow mods to upload stuffs. At least i would program an upload limit for all the users.
Come on Platus! Admit it. Are we really need all of these images?

I don't know. I don't care. I am not monitoring this site nor babysitting it and since admins are okay with it.. Fine. I have nothing to say. But i am still against it. No not MLP uploads, i am against the lack of the good and the overflood of the bad contents.

First of all, it's often impossible to know whether a given picture will be "important" in the long run. Often times, there are whole sub-memes that get presaged in one or two little-seen images that popped in a week or more earlier, and which are only important in retrospect and would thus have been deleted if your suggestion had been put into effect.

I'd also like to second what Supreme the Lurking Monitor said: with sites like 4Chan deleting so much of their content, many important images can get lost if they are not archived. If someone wants a general run of the fandom and its history, then they have the main article for that. The image and video galleries function as a protected trove of raw information which anyone can access and research as they please. Anyone so inclined could get a clear reading of the various major events that the fandom has gone through just by skimming through it – like a geologist looking at layers in the soil. So we really do need all of these posts, because when you're making an archive quantity becomes a quality in itself.

Furthermore, the mods have better things to do than keep track of the MLP fandom and update the gallery. The whole point of a wiki is that tasks like that are distributed among the site's users. Making the galleries mod-only kind of defeats that purpose.

Finally, I have gone through all of those NSFW images that you pointed out and almost all of them were within what the rules allow. Image dumps are nothing new, and really are par for the course on this site. The NSFW tag just makes this one easier to see because of all the nearly identical thumbnails.

Anyone so inclined could get a clear reading of the various major events that the fandom has gone through just by skimming through it – like a geologist looking at layers in the soil. So we really do need all of these posts, because when you’re making an archive quantity becomes a quality in itself.

That still doesn’t mean that the gallery needs to fullfilled with unnecessary stuff. Also image gallery is not a workplace or geological region we work on (or maybe it is and i am failing in here. it depends on how admins consider it. even it is wouldn't you clean the workplace of yours?). It is a public showroom of a subculture. Like a museum.

Furthermore, the mods have better things to do than keep track of the MLP fandom and update the gallery.
Finally, I have gone through all of those NSFW images that you pointed out and almost all of them were within what the rules allow

>the mods have better things to do than keep track of the MLP fandom
>I have gone through all of those NSFW images that you pointed out and almost all of them were within what the rules allow

Yes… Definitely. Mods have seriously better things to do..

>We can't check it!!!111ONE

Then why you are a mod? ..or beyond the just one person.. Why are the mods for??

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 07:20PM EDT

­­­Alex Mercer wrote:

Anyone so inclined could get a clear reading of the various major events that the fandom has gone through just by skimming through it – like a geologist looking at layers in the soil. So we really do need all of these posts, because when you’re making an archive quantity becomes a quality in itself.

That still doesn’t mean that the gallery needs to fullfilled with unnecessary stuff. Also image gallery is not a workplace or geological region we work on (or maybe it is and i am failing in here. it depends on how admins consider it. even it is wouldn't you clean the workplace of yours?). It is a public showroom of a subculture. Like a museum.

Furthermore, the mods have better things to do than keep track of the MLP fandom and update the gallery.
Finally, I have gone through all of those NSFW images that you pointed out and almost all of them were within what the rules allow

>the mods have better things to do than keep track of the MLP fandom
>I have gone through all of those NSFW images that you pointed out and almost all of them were within what the rules allow

Yes… Definitely. Mods have seriously better things to do..

>We can't check it!!!111ONE

Then why you are a mod? ..or beyond the just one person.. Why are the mods for??

@ Your first paragraph

Again, you ignore the fact that we have no measure at all of what will or will not become "necessary." Without this knowledge, we need to shoot for quantity. Furthermore, I think my geology simile (notice the word "like," which you seem to have missed) works a lot better than your museum one – the material on the walls of a museum are selected by the curator, while a huge portion of the collection may remain in storage and out of site. The entry galleries, rather, have no selection beyond our bans on NSFW content, and so function more like an endlessly receding storeroom or an archive than a museum of pre-selected curios.

@ Your second paragraph

I spend a good deal of time monitoring the MLP entry and its galleries, which takes up a good portion of the time I spend on this site. Monitoring the fandom as a whole – as I would have to do in order to be an effective arbitrator of content – is simply not something I can do without it being a full time job. Going through those NSFW posts involved looking at maybe a dozen images. If I had to watch the whole fandom, then I would not be able to do any other work as a mod on this site, plain and simple.

Edit to respond to "Then why you are a mod? ..or beyond the just one person.. Why are the mods for??"

I moderate the site. I look at the galleries and conversations, add or update entries, and interact with the community. My jurisdiction is, however, limited to KYM – I have no idea what 4chan is doing, and it isn't my job to know. One site I can handle, but the whole internet is too much, even if all the mods on this site got together. The manpower we'd need for just this one entry is too large to be worth it. It is far, far easier to simply monitor the entry and stop getting so butthurt over shitposts.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 07:19PM EDT

@Platus
@Alex Mercer

Maybe you two should take this to PM/Wall posts? This keeps looking less like Pony and more like Moderator duties as it goes on.

I woke up with, and have had, a horrible headache today. Berry Punch fits my mind perfectly at the moment.

@BalisticDerr

Because of the marriage, Twilight and Cadance technically are sisters.
That might be what happened with Celestia and Luna.

That… Actually isn't a bad theory. I mean, we already know Celestia calls Blueblood her nephew on a technicality or just to make things easier. Why not her sister? I'm not usually one for crazy headcanon, and I'm still in the "Cadence and Twilight do not have longer lifespans" camp, but still, wow.

@Restricting the gallery

Guys, seriously, no. This is a terrible idea. There are very few thing I consider to be terrible ideas, but this is a TERRIBLE idea.
I don't care what anyone says about how unnecessary some of the images are. Like Supreme sorta touched on (I think), this gallery, which was created to document the subculture of bronies, now contains a portion of that subculture of bronies. What better way to document something than that? EVERY image is relevant because together they all give an example of how the community ticks. It may not be a great museum, but it's one of the best damn zoos around.

Oh, and by the way, we can't forget the whole "shitstorm" element either. It may seem like an irrelevant point, but it's not. Again, the gallery is it's own little community now. Restricting it will mean screwing over a large portion of people who use the gallery for this or that. I spent a long time there myself before I came to the forum, and if I had the time I'd probably be there still.
So yeah, there would be more than a few people unhappy with the choice. You guys should know by now that I don't like getting angry about stuff, but I'm sure I'd have a few strongly worded messages to send on the subject myself.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 07:51PM EDT

CrashGordon94 was all like…

And Vinyl Scratch isn’t a wrestler…

>Implying Vinyl doesn't work as a Scotty 2 Hotty expy on occasion

Do you even wrestle?

@Image Gallery: I think we should have an option to turn the NSFW tags off, like Derpibooru. If we wanna look at NSFW shit without no warnings, we should be allowed to, goddammit!

@Berry Punch:

Do you even wrestle?

No actually, I'd never seen that guy before so I guess you have a point there.
On a semi-related note, this reminds me of one pic I saw on Derpibooru of Vinyl's comic DreamWorks Face pasted onto a muscly body.

Alex Mercer said:

>I am talking about the lack of the quality of the image gallery
>You think i support censorship

Censorship:

the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet or other controlling body.
--Wikipedia (emboldening added)

You want the mods/admins (a controlling body) to prevent the public from posting content (communication) because what they post is "shit" (an inconvenience to you).

Do you even definitions?

Why are the mods for??

Mods/admins are authorities which resolve disputes and enforce site rules. "Shitposting" (which is subjective anyway and so can't have a strict definition) is not in violation of KYM or Cheezeburger's rules. Ergo, the mods/admins do not have the ability or jurisdiction to lock down an Image Gallery simply because you don't like what's posted there.

Jimmy Lethal said:

I think we should have an option to turn the NSFW tags off, like Derpibooru. If we wanna look at NSFW shit without no warnings, we should be allowed to, goddammit!

This. Sadly, the bubblegum that holds together KYM's source code probably wouldn't be able to handle it.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 08:14PM EDT

After a good think, maybe restricting the gallery is really not a good idea after all.
And yes unless a rule violation, even shitposting is okay.
Me, admins, mods are not one to decide which post is shit or not for the others. The user him/herself should decide what is shitty content or not.
May i think the gallery is a museum but… It is a pretty liveful one! Like the internet itself.
It is okay to love or hate, but it is not okay to disable that thing because you think it is shit.
This site may look like a wikipedia. But inside it has its own community and gags unlike other wiki sites.

@Berry Thread
Guys come on we did that thing befor- ah fuck the quality i'll shit berrypost.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 08:37PM EDT

@Image Gallery

For starters, as was already said earlier, the gallery allows for a quick and direct documentation of current fandom events which don't require us updating the main entry, because we can all agree that thing is already a pretty huge clusterfuck which focusses on the time the fandom was constantly seeing notable change. Also the gallery is a constant stream of fresh images, which is a constant stream of new and regular site visitors, which in turn generates site views and ad revenue (the admins need to have bread on the table as well).

The servers of the site can easily handle it, and the regular image stream doesn't need to be clogged for you because we have the "Show Fewer Ponies" button. As for "shitposts" or NSFW, the first is opinion-based and the second is properly spoilered for you to avoid if necessary.

Not to forget we're not forcing others fandoms to not do the same. If Homestuck or Hetalia feels like filling our galleries on a daily base as well, please let them, hopefully it'll attract new posters.

Modicorn out

Mod aboos edit: CrashGordon94 wrote:

It would be nice if there were a way to merge dupes like on Derpibooru though, but that’s almost certainly too difficult to implement.

Such a system is already there, and it works ok, the only problem with it is that it doesn't cover specific changes in source code or proportions, making it possible for images to get through. For example a lot of old Ponibooru stuff was able to get reposted here from Derpibooru during the switch when old content from Ponibooru got uploaded to Derpibooru.

Report 'em if you see 'em.

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 11:11PM EDT

@Kewl

Well folks, how far is too far?

Too far is when the gallery stops showing what's trending and popular in the MLP fandom and is nothing but a microcosm of KYM posters talking amongst themselves

Too far is when the whole gallery becomes a bigger version of pony-r34.tumblr and everyone there is just clopping and not contributing to the cause

But that's not the case here. If you look at those images, it was one dude dropping a whole bunch of humanized/anthro ponies in bikini's. Same stuff as usual. No actual rules broken. One guy doesn't represent all of the gallery users even if his uploads overshadow what other people do at the time.

I was more annoyed that someone created a meta-image of the gallery to juxtapose that whole event. Why? It made a mountain out of a molehill. Nobody would have cared if that image wasn't there. We've had tons of NSFW image dumps like that before and nobody noticed them. Furthermore, at least the saucy NSFW artwork plays a hand in showing what's currently popular in the fandom. Meta-images of the gallery don't! That meta image itself was more abuse of the gallery than the NSFW dump!

@Alex

You know, you are the last person I expected to get your jimmies rustled over the image gallery. You didn't care….but then you did? What got into you bro?

Consume a snickers salesman. You get serious about ponies when you are hungry.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I will say that the admins do care about the image gallery, we just look at it differently.

1. Ongoing fandoms with ongoing trends needs an ongoing entry + gallery so we can capture what's new in those fandoms. There's no such thing as "we have enough examples". We're not wikipedia which only needs to paint a basic picture, we are KYM which is actively trying to scope out each current event. Locking articles and galleries defeats that purpose

2. We don't appreciate people using the gallery as their personal fap repository but NSFW submissions are still indicative of something going on in the fandom and are not necessarily trash to us. For instance they expose what's popular in the darker side of the fandom. Besides, it's easy to step in if a user appears to do nothing constructive with the gallery at all (Regard how many times Advanced got banned)

3. We're not obligated to keep the fandom looking clean and family friendly. We have a "the meme is what it is" policy. Any shitstorms caused by this aren't our problem.

4. It's actually easier for us to keep entries and submission public and delete the trash that comes in rather than to filter and screen every submission coming in. Filtering the gallery so that only the most relevant images get in would be an insurmountable amount of work and it would be certainly ineffective at ensuring that we get what's important, as we aren't the ultimate judge of what is actually important on the internet

5. Sure we have a lot of cloppers hanging around the gallery but they are not allowed to post porn so they are relatively harmless (If you still get upset by implications of porn, you really should mature IMO). They just mean more visitors to this site.. More people, mean more revenue for the Cheeze network and KYM stays hosted. The worst part about locking the image gallery will be the amount of people that will turn away

Last edited Sep 07, 2013 at 11:40PM EDT

@Alex
Huh. It's not too common you see people who make great big cases like that admit that they might not have thought everything through. You're alright with me… follows

@Berry Punch
sigh… you guys aren't making my recovery easy for me, are you?

This issue about the image gallery has already been relatively resolved (for now…) but I would like to put my two bits cents in.

I am against most forms of censorship (there are existing cases where I think the censoring is ok, but the majority of the time I am against it), and so I think locking the MLP image gallery/only letting mods post is a bad idea all by itself just based of my own principles. But my opinions go a little deeper than that in this case.

I lurked here for a couple months before making an account on this site, and I spent most of my time lurking around the MLP gallery and main page. The main reason I joined this site was because it had just the right amount of pony content without making me feel overwhelmed by it. I loved checking back to the gallery every day or every few hours just to check what was new and when I made my account I mostly just talked in the image comments. I probably would have soon lost interest in the image gallery and maybe even the site entirely if it was solely mod-run and in turn not nearly as active.

TL;DR: I probably would not have made an account and started participating on this site if it weren't for the active, community based pony gallery. And I'm sure that is a thought that breaks all of your hearts

@Image Gallery
I'll say, right off the bat, that closing the image gallery is a horrible idea.
It really does serve as a gateway into the current community that should not be hampered.
Leaving all uploading to the moderators will inherently introduce bias (intentional or otherwise), not to mention heavily increase the workload for those in charge.
I remember way back when i first found ponies and KYM, it was right in the middle of the first big pony schism and one of the mods at the time (can't recall who) actually did lock the image gallery for a while, mostly citing the massive influx of images that far outweighed the contribution of any other fandom and people complaining that KYM was becoming KYPony.
Obviously, that decision didn't stand for very long because it clearly cut into a rapidly growing community that was just finding its place on the site.
There were lots of debates back then similar to the one we are having now, and they all reached pretty much the same conclusions.

That said, I do think the idea that the image gallery is some kind of rolling record of the fandom is a little overplayed.
As I said, it's pretty good for seeing what is going on now, but the continuously scrolling format combined with the near-total lack of tagging means that any images not accessible within the first few 'pages' will likely never be seen again.
I mean, if you are trying to use the image gallery to research what bronies were talking about even just a few months ago, you'll have to sift through hundreds or thousands of images before you get there.
I guess my point is that, while it can serve as an archive, it is too unorganized and unruly to really be considered good reference material beyond a few weeks.
Now, short of implementing a much more rigorous tagging and archiving system, I don't really see a whole lot that can be done about this, but I figured it should be noted.

@Berry Punch

Looks like she's making an ass of herself again!
WAH-WAH-WAAAAAAH
(I want to know where Andy Price keeps turning up to draw these things! It seems like every week or two another handful of original sketches turn up and they are all gold!)

Yep, look at that.
Reading Rainbow posted Rainbow reading!
Awesome!

Fluttershy in the sky!
I can fly twice as high!
Take a look!
It's in a book!
Reading Rainbow!

And in more best (mane six) pony news:

Damn it, Meghan!
Why must you tease us so!
I've always been of the opinion that Rainbow's personality is much deeper than she really lets on, so I'm super excited to see where they are planning to take her!
Onward To Feels… And Beyond!

Last edited Sep 08, 2013 at 01:10AM EDT

@DP

while it can serve as an archive, it is too unorganized and unruly to really be considered good reference material beyond a few weeks.

Fully agree. That why I demanded they bring page pagination for the gallery.

You can have the masonry system (continuous load as you scroll down) just don't make it infinite. At the bottom of the page have the pagination.

Google images does it this way. You only continually scroll down for about 150 images. At that point it adds a break and gives you the ability to use the footer or keep load the next page of images. That's what KYM should have done

I just figure that the gallery is probably always gonna have days where it's less safe for work than others. It all depends on who feels like adding images. It usually doesn't bother me.

Though for all the interest that I have in humanized stuff I only recall adding one kinda NSFW pic to the gallery in the 2 years that I've been here. So I have no idea what gets into people that makes them want to repost a bunch of old saucy images sometimes.

But I'm still kinda delirious from that steak I ate earlier and I'm probably just posting out of my ass here

Oh well, I contributed a lot for NSFW pics. And I don't really thing is a big deal having them as long they are not explicit.
How explicit? Take a look on Derpibooru and our gallery will look like soft marshmallows.

Last edited Sep 08, 2013 at 08:50AM EDT

Blue Screen said:

I was more annoyed that someone created a meta-image of the gallery to juxtapose that whole event. Why?

Because R34 shitstorms.

Deadparrot222 said:

I remember way back when i first found ponies and KYM, it was right in the middle of the first big pony schism and one of the mods at the time (can’t recall who) actually did lock the image gallery for a while, mostly citing the massive influx of images that far outweighed the contribution of any other fandom and people complaining that KYM was becoming KYPony.

That sounds like a shitstorm of epic proportions. I'm jelly I couldn't witness/get my jimmies severely rustled by it.

Will Anderson said:

Amtrak's got nothin on the hype train.

@Random
Oh right, I didn't know. That's cool!

@Season 4: That reminds me, I really ought to get around to watching the first three, I think…

I also dreamt up some strange Pony fanfic ideas last night, it was rather odd… I don't know whether to share some of it.

@Deadparrot and TSG

I remember way back when i first found ponies and KYM, it was right in the middle of the first big pony schism and one of the mods at the time (can’t recall who) actually did lock the image gallery for a while, mostly citing the massive influx of images that far outweighed the contribution of any other fandom and people complaining that KYM was becoming KYPony.

That was Tomberry who locked the Pony gallery. I don't think he's an active mod here anymore. He absolutely hated ponies and despised the amount of content that was flooding in at the time. Doing this at a pinnacle moment in Brony history generated a flood of controversy that, from what I hear, actually led to this thread coming into fruition. The best person to ask for details is Verbose.

It was indeed a historic shitstorm for this forum. If the 2nd Derpy shitstorm of PG was the SARS outbreak, then the locking of the pony gallery was the black plague by comparison.

The Forum-renaming Mod War, The Pyro/Moon shitstorm, The KYMRPG shitstorm, CitationNeeded's Ragequit, The fall of Suiseiseki …all of those shitstorms were smaller than this one.

Last edited Sep 08, 2013 at 11:16PM EDT

@BSOD

Perhaps we should collaborate on a history of KYM shitstorms. That list at the end of your post seriously sounds like a list of chapters in the most kickass history book ever.

@Snuggles

And now I'm reminded that my constant deprivation of physical and emotional affection continues. Especially in the absence of anyone in this area I can relate to.

Maybe I should get a Plushie… Like… A custom one picked out from my armada of OCs…

…Then again… It's not like I have cash to spare… So it would be a miracle if I could pay for it and still eat.

But eh… It's not like I need much food right?

Last edited Sep 08, 2013 at 11:59PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!