Forums / Discussion / General

169,909 total conversations in 5,440 threads

+ New Thread

Japan-made video games VS. American-made video games

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 11:41PM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2013 at 03:26PM EDT
9 posts from 9 users

As a big Nintendo fan, I’m tempted to say Japanese, but there are plenty of good western games as well. The problem is, unlike anime and western animation, the two types don’t really have any distinct styles that set them apart, so as far as gameplay goes, they’re pretty similar. There isn’t really much there to argue for or against.

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:04PM EDT

>2013

>Not viewing Swedish games as the pinnacle of gaming quality

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:49PM EDT

Random 21 pretty much said it all. I love Nintendo and I love Namco Tales, but there is no visible dividing line between the western and Eastern game making studios.

Sure, I can bash on Studios just fine; as Nintendo needs to hire better writers and stop wasting their entire voice acting budget on Charles Martinet’s Paycheck, Namco Tales needs to stop releasing a Beta Exclusive for one system and then the full release for the Playstations, and Valve can stop pretending to actually be working on Half Life 3/Episode 3.

But yeah, I got nothing.

Last edited Apr 19, 2013 at 06:03PM EDT
Apr 19, 2013 at 06:01PM EDT

It certainly depends, however I like Japanese games, especially how the Nintendo classics were made into quite decent games, but so are American games. It’s just that now, I feel both sides have deteriorated slightly, but I’ve not been so very well in touch with Nintendo (or any other Japanese game developers for that matter) for a while, so I can’t really speak.

Last edited Apr 19, 2013 at 06:22PM EDT
Apr 19, 2013 at 06:20PM EDT

Honestly, I don’t feel that games have a large divide in them, within the same types of genres and across international lines. I feel that video games have a far more homogenous nature so far than any of the most established forms of entertainment. Movies/theater, books, music, etc. have all had centuries to refine their practices, (well, not film, but theater has) and diversify. Video games are a very new form of entertainment, and thus are going to be a bit more homogenous than the others. Personally, this is both good and bad. We just need people who are leaders ad game changers to get out there and break the mold further.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:38PM EDT

I much prefer Japanese fighting games over Western, and I much prefer western shooters. Still, I wouldn’t pick one over the other. They both are great.

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:35PM EDT

I’d say there’s literally zero correlation between country of origin and quality. Pretty much anything else could have an effect, but not that.

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:43PM EDT

Both have their ups and downs. I’m trying to come up with ways in which one country has superior games in a certain genre, but I can’t come up with anything. Maybe FPS games, but that’s about it.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:41PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!