Forums / Discussion / General

168,635 total conversations in 5,403 threads

+ New Thread


Teen Titans General

Last posted Jun 02, 2013 at 05:49PM EDT. Added Apr 26, 2013 at 01:16AM EDT
54 posts from 22 users

Now this thread is established, let’s talk about stuff from the past.
Hold up, I got something to show you guys:

Can someone explain to me why Raven is riding a giraffe?

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:16AM EDT
Quote

It was probably a good idea to split this discussion away from Pony General. It was getting a little off topic over there.

Anyway, I’m also curious about the new series and how it compares to the original that I knew

Discuss.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:40AM EDT
Quote

I think my opinion of the show raised a bit when I heard the theme song of this show

Ok, they sampled from the original theme song, that’s pretty awesome. This actually kinda looks fun.

After watching the first episode, I can say that I definitely enjoyed it. I think the most important thing that makes this show work is that the characters are the same as they were in the old series. Beast Boy and Cyborg are still obsessed with food, Starfire still doesn’t understand Earth customs (I thought it was adorable that she thought balloon animals were round balloons with animals inside them), Raven is still there to make snarky comments, etc. I think the only one that I have not quite found an established character for quite yet is Robin. In the first half of the episode he was just bragging about making an awesome sandwich (accompanied with hilarious scenes of him at the grocery store) and then in the second half he basically didn’t do anything. So I guess I’ll have to wait a couple more episodes to see if he even has any defined character at all.

At first I thought this was gonna be a comedy/slice-of-life, but I was happily surprised that this is actually more of an action/comedy, so as long as we see the Titans actually going out and doing things instead of sitting around talking about their relationships and life lessons (there is a time and a place for those types of shows) then I will be happy.

The art style is alright. It looks cheap as all hell, but It has a nice bright color scheme to fit the show and I think the designs are kind of endearing.

I think this show is worth checking out. You may not like it, but it’s definitely worth a watch in my book. It surprised me (although I had very low expectations), I think it will surprise you. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely not the worst thing on Cartoon Network. I will say this before you give it a watch, though: If you spend the entire time comparing the mood of the original show to the mood of this spin-off, you’re gonna have a real bad time. Don’t go into this expecting the quality or the feel of the old show.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:11AM EDT
Quote

I can’t help but feel I was somehow involved in creating this thread.

Anyway, as I’ve said, that new art style is not very pleasing, but I think with time I can get used to it. It appears they’re shooting for mostly comedy and leaving the more serious (and epic) plots in the trash can. Not very happy about that, but with this art style, I don’t think I could ever take much in this show seriously.

Now for the million bit dollar question: What are they going to do with Terra?

As this is (presumably) a sequel series to the original, I’m assuming they’re gonna stick with the “amnesia and doesn’t remember anything” canon and scuttle any attempts by the fans to salvage the USS Beasterra from the depths of the ocean.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:52AM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

I can’t help but feel I was somehow involved in creating this thread.

Anyway, as I’ve said, that new art style is not very pleasing, but I think with time I can get used to it. It appears they’re shooting for mostly comedy and leaving the more serious (and epic) plots in the trash can. Not very happy about that, but with this art style, I don’t think I could ever take much in this show seriously.

Now for the million bit dollar question: What are they going to do with Terra?

As this is (presumably) a sequel series to the original, I’m assuming they’re gonna stick with the “amnesia and doesn’t remember anything” canon and scuttle any attempts by the fans to salvage the USS Beasterra from the depths of the ocean.

There isn’t much reason to bring Terra into the series right now, so it’s not a concern.

Personally, I’m not too big on the series right now. The art is difficult to get used to, but it isn’t bad, and the comedy is rather hit-or-miss.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:53AM EDT
Quote

I’ll say what I said on another site (which will be redundant with Crimson Locks’ review)


If you’re expecting the original series that aired on Cartoon Network, then you’ll be disappointed.
If you’re expecting the characters to be particularly serious (especially Robin,) then you’ll be disappointed.
If you’re expecting a lot of crime-fighting action, then you’ll be disappointed.

If you’re wanting something light to laugh at, then you might like it (depends on your sense of humor. It’s not the same humor that the original had.)
If you’re up for seeing the same characters in a different light, then you might like it.
If you’re just wanting to give a decent cartoon with teens with superpowers a try, then you might like it.

Personally, I can’t wait for the next episode. I loved the original series for the stories and the depth with moments of odd humor, but I love this one for the same characters and its own kind of humor. (Raven’s dour nature is downplayed a lot, which is a slight disappointment for me, but Starfire and Beast Boy are about the same. Robin is, as I read elsewhere, an adrenaline junkie. Cyborg is only slightly exaggerated. All of their humorous lines except for BB and Star are different from what you’d expect.)

The voice cast is also the same for the main characters, so that doesn’t hurt at all.
 
 
I will say that there will need to be more depth of some sort for me to remember what time it comes on and watch it regularly. Think along the lines of Adventure Time or Gravity Falls if you’ve seen them. They’re both funny shows, but you can easily feel for their respective characters and get to like them.

That’s not done in a show like this by introducing all this heavy stuff like Raven being the key to the world’s destruction or Cyborg’s issues with being part robot and only being able to push himself so far. But instead, there will need to be occasional, well-placed scenes like where Beast Boy is legitimately down about not being able to get Cyborg the video game he really wanted for his birthday or something like (although it doesn’t happen) Robin and Starfire breaking up in a silly manner only to get back together again by the end of the episode. (That relationship appears to be a thing in this series.)

At the moment, I could see it becoming more of a parody of the original which would be bad in my opinion if they don’t think it through. It doesn’t need to be compared to the original nor does it need to be entirely different, but I think it’s best somewhere in the middle leaning towards “entirely different.”

Last edited Apr 26, 2013 at 01:56PM EDT
Apr 26, 2013 at 01:53PM EDT
Quote

I’ll go ahead and make a quick reference here before likely never mentioning it in the vicinity again.
(Short-version: I’m going to reference ponies)

Most of us here are from the Pony General thread (sorry Cale, just ignore this), and most of us agree that the early episodes of FiM weren’t spectacular. The show got better as its writers, directors, and VAs got a better feel for it and the characters they were working with. It’s those later episodes that we like to love.

I haven’t watched the first episode yet, but the few clips I’ve seen do have a certain charm to them. Give it a bit of time. The show has a sound foundation, and it can go far if the showrunners can get a good idea of where they want to take things.

Last edited Apr 26, 2013 at 02:45PM EDT
Apr 26, 2013 at 02:44PM EDT
Quote

Harshwhinny wrote:

I’ll go ahead and make a quick reference here before likely never mentioning it in the vicinity again.
(Short-version: I’m going to reference ponies)

Most of us here are from the Pony General thread (sorry Cale, just ignore this), and most of us agree that the early episodes of FiM weren’t spectacular. The show got better as its writers, directors, and VAs got a better feel for it and the characters they were working with. It’s those later episodes that we like to love.

I haven’t watched the first episode yet, but the few clips I’ve seen do have a certain charm to them. Give it a bit of time. The show has a sound foundation, and it can go far if the showrunners can get a good idea of where they want to take things.

I hope this thread doesn’t surround me with inferior peoples.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:40PM EDT
Quote

Well, this is about all I have to contribute to the discussion:

So… yeah.

Yay for nerdiness!

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:15PM EDT
Quote

I never watched the old series, but I saw the new episode. I pretty much feel the same as Verbose. Overall it doesn’t feel like a superhero show but more of a sitcom with characters that happen to have superpowers. It’s pretty decent.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:24PM EDT
Quote

Well it’s targeted for children, what’s there to explain?
Anyone who is targeted for children can ride anything they want.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:42PM EDT
Quote

Your MOM is riding a giraffe :O


As for the giraffe that has been mounted by a fictional character, I’d be simple and just say that the animators just love to throw random stuff in there like that.

But I’m trying to think if there was an episode in the original series where Raven was actually on a giraffe. Maybe Beast Boy was a giraffe in an episode or something?

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:57PM EDT
Quote

@Cite

You should check out the first series if you can. It’s worth it.

Even older audiences could get behind it

Last edited Apr 26, 2013 at 11:24PM EDT
Apr 26, 2013 at 11:21PM EDT
Quote

Ann Hiro wrote:

Well it’s targeted for children, what’s there to explain?
Anyone who is targeted for children can ride anything they want.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:17AM EDT
Quote

Sir Crona Statscowski Esquire wrote:

In terms of shipping, I ship Beast Boy with Rana.

Only hardcore minecraft players will get this joke.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:05AM EDT
Quote

Ann Hiro wrote:

Well it’s targeted for children, what’s there to explain?
Anyone who is targeted for children can ride anything they want.

Now, you may think “Mother Mae-Eye” is geared toward childrens. Then, think that the Mother is a hypnotizing, cannibalistic bitch who wanted to make the Titans into a pie.

We need to start a witch hunt.

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:38PM EDT
Quote

I certainly remember watching the show and I’d put Teen Titans as one of my most favourite cartoons of all time, so yeah, I wanted to at least post in this thread that includes mentions to the latest Teen Titans Go series, but I’d like to ask when will I be able to get a chance to watch this? Or will I just have to view it over the internet like the latest Avatar?

Apr 27, 2013 at 06:54PM EDT
Quote

I’ve enjoyed it so far.

It isn’t really the original show, but it isn’t supposed to be. If nothing else, it gives me another lighthearted cartoon to watch on a semi-regular basis.

The amount of hate it gets on Youtube, for example, is almost laughable though.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:03AM EDT
Quote

Hey, guys, I was looking back through forum’s past when I found this topic that I made when I was eleven. If you go all the way to the last post and figure out what it’s about, make an account and feel free to join in.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:44PM EDT
Quote

So, after watching the new episode of Go, I noticed that the new show is already making inconsistencies between their canon and the canon of the original Teen Titans.

Like for instance, when Cyborg had a small flashback from when he was a baby in the new episode, he was a cyborg. But in the old show he talks about a time when (supposedly in his earlier teens) he wasn’t yet a cyborg (hell, there was a whole episode about that!)

And remember how throughout the whole series we have never seen Robin without his mask on? The show seemed to make a pretty big deal about making sure we never knew what was behind Robin’s mask. Well, I guess we have to look no further than episode 2 of Teen Titans Go to know what Robin looks like without his mask.

These aren’t things I am getting mad about or anything, but I find it kind of interesting that this new show doesn’t seem to be sticking all that closely to the source material.


Another thing I noticed: In the old series it is never (as far as I can remember) explicitly stated that Robin used to work with Batman. The most we got was confirmation that Gotham City exists in their universe and we have also seen (through background events) that Wayne Enterprises also exists, which most likely means that by extension Batman existed. Meanwhile in the new show they have mentioned Robin’s past with Batman two or three times by now.


On to discussion about the actual new episode. Well, I thought it was hit and miss this time around. The first one, “Drivers Ed”, I actually found to be very funny and clever at times. And now that Robin has gotten his own episode I actually have a good feel for what his character is going to be in this show, and I like what I’ve seen so far. On to the next episode, “Raven’s Daddy Dearest”…. Damn I really didn’t like this one. I’m sure we are all aware that Raven’s backstory with her father is a very dark and serious one. Not really something that would be easy to play in a comedic light without it looking really dumb, especially so early in the series. Yeah, they really didn’t play the angle of Raven’s daddy issues very well in this one. For one, it stopped being about Raven’s daddy issues and more about the rest of the titans liking her dad and thinking she should be more like him (yeah, they were all holding the idiot ball pretty hard in this episode). There were a few good jokes here and there but the rest of it was ruined by the pretty much botched up angle of Raven’s relationship with her father and… Starfire talking like a teenager… I need to go bathe, I feel too dirty.

Last edited May 02, 2013 at 12:47PM EDT
May 02, 2013 at 12:46PM EDT
Quote

The new show was a HUGE disappointment. Bad jokes, cheap drawing and animation, and, worst of all, it’s an animated show with a laugh track.

May 02, 2013 at 06:17PM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

The new show was a HUGE disappointment. Bad jokes, cheap drawing and animation, and, worst of all, it’s an animated show with a laugh track.

The laugh track was just for the episode with Trigon. It was a joke in itself (although I don’t think it worked so well.)
 
I think the show has to find its groove (as Crazy☾ said.) I think the premise is great. The characters are a bit exaggerated, I think, but they’re still about the same. And I love the interactions between the Titans. I agree that the humor can be hit-or-miss, but…

This is amazing.

May 02, 2013 at 07:32PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

So, after watching the new episode of Go, I noticed that the new show is already making inconsistencies between their canon and the canon of the original Teen Titans.

Like for instance, when Cyborg had a small flashback from when he was a baby in the new episode, he was a cyborg. But in the old show he talks about a time when (supposedly in his earlier teens) he wasn’t yet a cyborg (hell, there was a whole episode about that!)

And remember how throughout the whole series we have never seen Robin without his mask on? The show seemed to make a pretty big deal about making sure we never knew what was behind Robin’s mask. Well, I guess we have to look no further than episode 2 of Teen Titans Go to know what Robin looks like without his mask.

These aren’t things I am getting mad about or anything, but I find it kind of interesting that this new show doesn’t seem to be sticking all that closely to the source material.


Another thing I noticed: In the old series it is never (as far as I can remember) explicitly stated that Robin used to work with Batman. The most we got was confirmation that Gotham City exists in their universe and we have also seen (through background events) that Wayne Enterprises also exists, which most likely means that by extension Batman existed. Meanwhile in the new show they have mentioned Robin’s past with Batman two or three times by now.


On to discussion about the actual new episode. Well, I thought it was hit and miss this time around. The first one, “Drivers Ed”, I actually found to be very funny and clever at times. And now that Robin has gotten his own episode I actually have a good feel for what his character is going to be in this show, and I like what I’ve seen so far. On to the next episode, “Raven’s Daddy Dearest”…. Damn I really didn’t like this one. I’m sure we are all aware that Raven’s backstory with her father is a very dark and serious one. Not really something that would be easy to play in a comedic light without it looking really dumb, especially so early in the series. Yeah, they really didn’t play the angle of Raven’s daddy issues very well in this one. For one, it stopped being about Raven’s daddy issues and more about the rest of the titans liking her dad and thinking she should be more like him (yeah, they were all holding the idiot ball pretty hard in this episode). There were a few good jokes here and there but the rest of it was ruined by the pretty much botched up angle of Raven’s relationship with her father and… Starfire talking like a teenager… I need to go bathe, I feel too dirty.

“Botched” isn’t the word I would use.

May 02, 2013 at 09:26PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

The laugh track was just for the episode with Trigon. It was a joke in itself (although I don’t think it worked so well.)
 
I think the show has to find its groove (as Crazy☾ said.) I think the premise is great. The characters are a bit exaggerated, I think, but they’re still about the same. And I love the interactions between the Titans. I agree that the humor can be hit-or-miss, but…

This is amazing.

That was indeed a fantastic moment

And after rewatching the first episode (showing it to my brother, he didn’t really care for it) I noticed in the scene in the pie episode where Beast Boy was trying to be a lawyer, he ended up getting Robin’s driving instructor thrown in jail. I like little details like that. Although it makes you wonder, either a lot of time happened between those two episodes, or the guy got thrown in jail for a really short time (or he escaped).

Also, in the grocery store scene we got to see the return of Bat-O’s

May 02, 2013 at 10:06PM EDT
Quote

I’m guessing this is good.
Too bad I don’t have cable.

May 02, 2013 at 10:31PM EDT
Quote

Ann Hiro wrote:

I’m guessing this is good.
Too bad I don’t have cable.

There’s always illegal internet streaming * cough cough *

May 02, 2013 at 11:15PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

There’s always illegal internet streaming * cough cough *

I’m a law abiding citizen~ (Total BS gonna go try to find it now.)

May 02, 2013 at 11:47PM EDT
Quote

Ann Hiro wrote:

I’m a law abiding citizen~ (Total BS gonna go try to find it now.)

cough youtube

May 03, 2013 at 03:41PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

This is a kids show. I don’t really watch kids shows, I guess for a 15 year old it might be amusing if he was mentally handicapped. I am an adult I like porn.

May 03, 2013 at 11:07PM EDT

@Don’tKickMeBro

“Hey guise! I’m watching porn! That makes me soooo adult! I’m too old for toons! Amiright?”

Said every immature, underage teen ever.

Don’t try so hard. You might hurt yourself

May 03, 2013 at 11:18PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Don’tKickMeBro

“Hey guise! I’m watching porn! That makes me soooo adult! I’m too old for toons! Amiright?”

Said every immature, underage teen ever.

Don’t try so hard. You might hurt yourself

I don’t have to try, I got Viagra.

May 03, 2013 at 11:28PM EDT

SIRSWAGGYBALLS666<3 wrote:

I don’t have to try, I got Viagra.

don’t take too much anyway i hate what they did to trigon he’s an demon for pete’s sake and that shadow demon too

May 03, 2013 at 11:47PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Now, I remember this show, it used to be really cool, but now its getting milked because the government is obviously abusing its powers.

May 04, 2013 at 12:09AM EDT

The early 80s Wolfman-Perez run was the best period for Teen Titans.

May 04, 2013 at 12:25AM EDT
Quote

Ok, I got to admit I liked this better than I thought I originally was going to.

May 04, 2013 at 03:33AM EDT
Quote

Ann Hiro wrote:

Ok, I got to admit I liked this better than I thought I originally was going to.

old 52
new 52
yess they follow old 52 go childhood

May 04, 2013 at 01:05PM EDT
Quote

SIRSWAGGYBALLS666<3 wrote:

This is a kids show. I don’t really watch kids shows, I guess for a 15 year old it might be amusing if he was mentally handicapped. I am an adult I like porn.

May 05, 2013 at 03:31PM EDT
Quote

TFW No Season Six

Last edited May 06, 2013 at 08:43PM EDT
May 06, 2013 at 08:42PM EDT

The recent episode was pretty good.

Honestly, as long as you don’t constantly compare it to the old show, this one stands fairly well on it’s own.

May 12, 2013 at 03:03AM EDT
Quote

[Random opinion you probably don’t wanna hear]
I’ve seen two of the episodes, and I will say with much regret, I do actually like them (though, I’m not going to make an effort to keep up with them.)
What I don’t understand is why they didn’t just pick up where they left off. The final episode of the original (“Things Change”) left it on a really, REALLY morose tone for me (though, in a way, it was kinda poetic, since it’s TEEN Titans, and things change just like how we grow up…)
But, I mean, they have the voice actors. They have the artists. And they have the fandom that wants them. Why is this not a thing? Do Terra and Beast Boy ever get back together??

May 19, 2013 at 02:47AM EDT
Quote

Kyntak wrote:

[Random opinion you probably don’t wanna hear]
I’ve seen two of the episodes, and I will say with much regret, I do actually like them (though, I’m not going to make an effort to keep up with them.)
What I don’t understand is why they didn’t just pick up where they left off. The final episode of the original (“Things Change”) left it on a really, REALLY morose tone for me (though, in a way, it was kinda poetic, since it’s TEEN Titans, and things change just like how we grow up…)
But, I mean, they have the voice actors. They have the artists. And they have the fandom that wants them. Why is this not a thing? Do Terra and Beast Boy ever get back together??

Well, I think the team decided/was forced to make this new show due to a series of shorts called The New Teen Titans which was also done in a more chibi-like style (albeit still much closer to the original art style than this show) and was also much more comedic. Personally, I thought those shorts sucked monkey balls, but they were popular and so I guess CN wanted to do a full show with a similar concept

May 19, 2013 at 10:14AM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Well, I think the team decided/was forced to make this new show due to a series of shorts called The New Teen Titans which was also done in a more chibi-like style (albeit still much closer to the original art style than this show) and was also much more comedic. Personally, I thought those shorts sucked monkey balls, but they were popular and so I guess CN wanted to do a full show with a similar concept

Ah, I see what you mean. Still. If anything, I think they should have done something like Young Justice: Invasion, or Naruto: Shippuden, where we see them some years later (then they’d look kinda like in that one episode where Star time travels to the future, except it won’t be all sad and stuff.)
And even though I liked the episodes, I will point out that as a series it is incessantly vapid :\ The original was about connecting with beginning/mid teens as a lot of the plot and episodes reflected problems or issues they share in real life (i.e. The Mad Mod episode is about how kids hate school, The Change episode with Star is about puberty, etc.) this series is too silly and zany to seriously connect with as you would other ‘childhood’ shows. So it’s a safe bet to say the reception isn’t even a fraction as the original, and will have to fight to keep its slot vs. other more developed series (mainly Adventure Time & Regular Show). I give it 2 seasons at best till it gets thrown to scrap. But that’s just me o.o

May 19, 2013 at 10:44AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!