Forums / Discussion / General

171,013 total conversations in 5,490 threads

+ New Thread

Rhode Island passes marriage equality

Last posted May 09, 2013 at 03:53AM EDT. Added May 02, 2013 at 06:18PM EDT
24 posts from 15 users

Cale wrote:

I would expect Nevada to pass, honestly.

It already passed one of Nevada’s houses.

May 03, 2013 at 01:15PM EDT

May 03, 2013 at 10:35PM EDT

Dr. Coolface wrote:

They will need a Priest to preside over their weddings.

I think that is absolutely counter-productive to being gay.

May 04, 2013 at 12:14AM EDT

Cale the Witch King of Cats wrote:

I would expect Nevada to pass, honestly.

Nevada’s a lot more conservative than you might think, but of course in odd ways. Gambling? Okay! Prostitution? Okay! Same-sex marriage? Now hold on, there…

Don’tKickMeBro wrote:

I think that is absolutely counter-productive to being gay.

Having a priest, or getting married?

(Looks at status)

Uh, feel free to take your time responding…

May 04, 2013 at 04:44AM EDT

lets see seth mcfarlen make a episode of family guy about this and laugh at how awful it will be.
anyways
YAAAAY! FOR RHODE ISLAND!

May 04, 2013 at 10:51AM EDT

From New York, congratulations to Rhode Island for passing their marriage equality bill. Hopefully, the other states will follow suit soon.

May 04, 2013 at 11:05AM EDT

Because a preist is usually anti-queer. Does not make sense to me.

May 04, 2013 at 05:12PM EDT

SIRSWAGGYBALLS666<3 wrote:

Because a preist is usually anti-queer. Does not make sense to me.

Maybe, but that’s not always the case, nor does it make any sense of what you said previously. Really that’s why I asked before, because “I think that is absolutely counter-productive to being gay.” on the face of it makes no sense. My understanding is that being gay is supposed to be something one is or is not, and thus “counter-productive” would mean…what? Do you mean that if a priest disapproves of a person being gay, that will somehow make them less gay?

I’ve known a lot of LGBT people in my life, including a large portion of my high school and college friends. Over the years, my opinion of the moral status of same-sex relationships has evolved in all sorts of different manners and directions, and as it happens, I’m an ordained baptist minister. (I wonder how many KYM users knew this about me in the 3+ years I’ve been here?) With all of that, I don’t recall a single time that I have changed anyone’s sexual preference or, for that matter, decision as to whether or not they should marry.

May 04, 2013 at 05:53PM EDT

Brucker wrote:

Maybe, but that’s not always the case, nor does it make any sense of what you said previously. Really that’s why I asked before, because “I think that is absolutely counter-productive to being gay.” on the face of it makes no sense. My understanding is that being gay is supposed to be something one is or is not, and thus “counter-productive” would mean…what? Do you mean that if a priest disapproves of a person being gay, that will somehow make them less gay?

I’ve known a lot of LGBT people in my life, including a large portion of my high school and college friends. Over the years, my opinion of the moral status of same-sex relationships has evolved in all sorts of different manners and directions, and as it happens, I’m an ordained baptist minister. (I wonder how many KYM users knew this about me in the 3+ years I’ve been here?) With all of that, I don’t recall a single time that I have changed anyone’s sexual preference or, for that matter, decision as to whether or not they should marry.

This.

May 04, 2013 at 06:06PM EDT

I’m pretty sure the “priest” in Dr.Coolface’s image was not a priest at all

A joke that was completely missed.

May 04, 2013 at 09:58PM EDT

Pardon the bump, but I thought this was a hoot:

Supreme Court On Gay Marriage: ‘Sure, Who Cares’

WASHINGTON--Ten minutes into oral arguments over whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to marry one another, a visibly confounded Supreme Court stopped legal proceedings Tuesday and ruled that gay marriage was “perfectly fine” and that the court could “care less who marries whom.”

“Yeah, of course gay men and women can get married. Who gives a shit?” said Chief Justice John Roberts, who interrupted attorney Charles Cooper’s opening statement defending Proposition 8, which rescinded same-sex couples’ right to marry in California. “Why are we even seriously discussing this?”

more…
May 09, 2013 at 12:47AM EDT

By the way, Delaware just legalized it the other day, and Minnesota is voting on it soon.

May 09, 2013 at 12:57AM EDT

Is they want gay marrige legalized then they should not get offended when straight people laugh at them.

Last edited May 09, 2013 at 01:29AM EDT
May 09, 2013 at 01:29AM EDT

@Rimshot Vito:

Well, everyone has a right to be offended, but certainly nobody should be surprised by ridicule. Everyone gets it.

@thread:

I thought somebody had posted a link to a map on this thread. Either I remembered wrong, or it was deleted, but since others might be interested, here are Wikipedia links to a U.S. map and a world map with current legal statuses.

May 09, 2013 at 03:53AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!