+ New Thread

EA will now publish Star Wars games.

Last posted May 12, 2013 at 02:36PM EDT. Added May 06, 2013 at 09:16PM EDT
36 posts from 21 users

Full press release available at the link:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/06/ea-disney-star-wars-games/

or click the button:

The Walt Disney Company and EA Announce Multi-Year Star Wars Games Agreement

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

"This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come," said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. "Collaborating with one of the world's premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world."

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay."

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

They can make this awesome, I just hope that they won't ruin the games with DRM.
Last edited May 06, 2013 at 10:20PM EDT

@Dac

They've made some memorable titles in the past. But the biggest problem people have with EA is that they've repeatedly published titles with crippling DRM. Ruining the game experience for games that EA did not make themselves. Their harsh bureaucratic tactics put them in a bad light

Besides, the only games I see them make nowadays are boring cliche sport sims. They only publish other developers good idea's

That's so sad. LucasArts is one of the oldest gaming companies out there. At least wait a little while until the death of Atari wears off.

It's not a matter of the games' qualities, it's the fact that EA has a track record of shamelessly fucking over its customers left and right.

Jumping in on this thread for a little nostalgia/pseudo-name-dropping.

I don't do as much gaming as I used to, but back in the mid-'80s, Electronic Arts was making (well, really marketing, as the game designers were usually independent) some of the best games on the market. I've played about 2/3 of the games they put out in the '80s, and each one was an instant classic. Where did they go wrong?

Oh, and I do like to mention from time to time that my sister worked for LucasArts as a QA tester. She told me the funniest thing about a job like that was the occasional moment in which she'd be typing something into a spreadsheet and suddenly, "Oh shit, the boss is coming! Better pull up Star Wars: Galaxies!"

Insouciant Insect wrote:

I've lost my faith in EA many moons ago after they butchered the potential for a great PC game…

Dude, that was my shit when I was in middle school. I played the hell out of that game.

Anyway, the real problem with EA isn't their games. The games themselves are stellar, with the glaring exception of SimCity; it's the DRM that gives everyone a fucking headache. That, and their futile attempts to imitate Steam with Origin, leading to alienation of PC gamers, in addition to all their attempts to gouge gamers with endless DLC, although honestly, I don't see the issue in paying for additional content; you don't need to buy it, and I can only think of one instance where DLC was fundamental for a game (Mass Effect 3's From Ashes, which came with an essential character). Anyway, I digress.

They make mistakes, but they're not the worst company in America. That's ExxonMobil. Oil companies are more evil than those that make video games. Why this is not a law of nature is beyond me.

Why is everybody defending EA? They're not like a close friend or relative who fucks up, they're a company, and as long as we allow them to continue to fuck up they won't clean up their act. We need to grab EA by the scruff of the neck and force them to stop their idiocy or else we won't buy your shit anymore and you'll go bankrupt. That being said, an eye for an eye! Avenge Westwood!

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Dac

They've made some memorable titles in the past. But the biggest problem people have with EA is that they've repeatedly published titles with crippling DRM. Ruining the game experience for games that EA did not make themselves. Their harsh bureaucratic tactics put them in a bad light

Besides, the only games I see them make nowadays are boring cliche sport sims. They only publish other developers good idea's

I get why people hate them, but since I don't play their games except their excellent sports games and battlefield, I don't really encounter those problems. So that's why I don't hate them.
Also, who's the wise guy that gave me negakarma just for saying I'm ok with EA?

Last edited May 07, 2013 at 09:41PM EDT

Dac wrote:

I get why people hate them, but since I don't play their games except their excellent sports games and battlefield, I don't really encounter those problems. So that's why I don't hate them.
Also, who's the wise guy that gave me negakarma just for saying I'm ok with EA?

>excellent sports games

You think Madden is excellent?

Fridge wrote:

>excellent sports games

You think Madden is excellent?

I play mostly FIFA but I enjoy the fight night games and madden as well. What exactly is it you don't like about madden? Just wondering

Sir Crona Crescent Duke of Landwales wrote:

Why is everybody defending EA? They're not like a close friend or relative who fucks up, they're a company, and as long as we allow them to continue to fuck up they won't clean up their act. We need to grab EA by the scruff of the neck and force them to stop their idiocy or else we won't buy your shit anymore and you'll go bankrupt. That being said, an eye for an eye! Avenge Westwood!

That's a very silly way of going about it, and a good way to deprive many high-quality developers of their living.

Dac wrote:

I play mostly FIFA but I enjoy the fight night games and madden as well. What exactly is it you don't like about madden? Just wondering

I am very sorry for you. The new fifa games are just so sadly glitched,

Everyone always says shit like EA should go bankrupt and everyone there die in a reign of infinite fire. But in reality, after about a year or less everyone saying that would be on their knees begging god for them to come back and put out games. Yeah they fucked up Sim City (which is where the core of all this extreme new hate is coming from) but in reality they don't feel nearly as bad as you think they should. You bought the game so they're happy, i'm sure by now they've started patching the shit out of the game which those same hating people are probably on right now. My point is this: the hate for EA is almost of kindergarten type nature, and 80% of those who hate are still buying their games proving them to be Hypocrites themselves. Don't be a stupid fagot and play your fucking game
Teh
End…?

Ernest Is dead wrote:

Everyone always says shit like EA should go bankrupt and everyone there die in a reign of infinite fire. But in reality, after about a year or less everyone saying that would be on their knees begging god for them to come back and put out games. Yeah they fucked up Sim City (which is where the core of all this extreme new hate is coming from) but in reality they don't feel nearly as bad as you think they should. You bought the game so they're happy, i'm sure by now they've started patching the shit out of the game which those same hating people are probably on right now. My point is this: the hate for EA is almost of kindergarten type nature, and 80% of those who hate are still buying their games proving them to be Hypocrites themselves. Don't be a stupid fagot and play your fucking game
Teh
End…?

People blame ea the publisher not the maker of the game itself. When ea makes dlc its not themmthat makes it.

Rimshot wrote:

I am very sorry for you. The new fifa games are just so sadly glitched,

Newest I have is FIFA 12. It runs fine for me. I don't get this, first getting called out on madden now fifa, am I not allowed to think a game is excellent for my tastes? I have a great time playing ea sports games with friends. Isn't that what games are about? Having fun?

Cale wrote:

That's a very silly way of going about it, and a good way to deprive many high-quality developers of their living.

They can't make high quality games when EA demands always-online DRM be put on everything, so we'd do them a favor by getting EA's filthy metaphorical DRM fingers out of their metaphorical digital entertainment pudding.

Sir Crona Crescent Duke of Landwales wrote:

They can't make high quality games when EA demands always-online DRM be put on everything, so we'd do them a favor by getting EA's filthy metaphorical DRM fingers out of their metaphorical digital entertainment pudding.

They also can't make games without money.

Yes EA has bad business practices online DRM etc. But they do publish good games and support them because other then knights of the old republic who really knew BioWare before Mass Effect. It's just a matter of somehow getting them to acknowledge that people like and want their games without the stupid business practices they have.

Brucker wrote:

I really don't get all the hate. The last sports game I played was an EA title, and it was considered across the industry to be "one of the best sports titles ever made at the time. Nobody had ever seen graphics with such realism…

Lol good one. I like the nhl games. My favorite is 07, i don't know its just a fun game. Also, on NHL 13 you can watch live hockey games! So its like free cable

Holy crap, I may have to join the haters!

In 1983, EA published M.U.L.E., which, well to quote Wikipedia.

In 1996, Computer Gaming World named M.U.L.E. as #3 on its Best Games of All Time list. Despite acclaim, the game only sold 30,000 copies. M.U.L.E. was named #5 of the "Ten Greatest PC Games Ever" by PC World in 2009. It was also listed as the 19th most important video game of all time by 1UP.com.

Seriously, the game was simple in graphics, but had amazing strategy as well as kick-ass music for its time. So why didn't it spawn a sequel? According to MobyGames

Deluxe M.U.L.E. was never released, because of both programming troubles and Electronic Arts revoking the license.

WHAT?!

Spider-Byte wrote:

Yes EA has bad business practices online DRM etc. But they do publish good games and support them because other then knights of the old republic who really knew BioWare before Mass Effect. It's just a matter of somehow getting them to acknowledge that people like and want their games without the stupid business practices they have.

BioWare made the first Mass Effect without EA.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!