Forums / Discussion / General

171,004 total conversations in 5,489 threads

+ New Thread


New Smash Bros.?

Last posted May 21, 2013 at 03:29PM EDT. Added May 19, 2013 at 11:01AM EDT
38 posts from 22 users

Last time on the Nintendo direct, Iwata said that Nintendo will have another Nintendo direct during E3. We’re hearing rumors, and, well E3 is coming. Discuss.

May 19, 2013 at 11:01AM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Defentialy not another smash bros. i think they should not make a sequel. Every time a game has a sequelmit usually gets worse. Like cod for example. Or sonic, halo, etc.

May 19, 2013 at 12:36PM EDT

I don’t think they will reveal anything huge before E3, since E3 is such a large event. Maybe they’ll drop a few hints in the next Direct session, but that could be all. Supposedly, Satoru stated that screenshots of the current game in development will be shown at E3.


Defentialy not another smash bros. i think they should not make a sequel. Every time a game has a sequelmit usually gets worse. Like cod for example. Or sonic, halo, etc.

Not the case with many series, but aside from that point, they’ve already revealed that a new Smash Bros. has been in the works (I think some time around E3 last year) and that Sakurai is working with a team to make the game more balanced, and it could actually be better than Brawl’s mechanics.

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 01:01PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 12:46PM EDT
Quote

Even though Nintendo got stage fright this year and will be filming all of their performances, Nintendo essentially said that they will have playable demos for Mario Kart U and a new 3D Mario, while Super Smash Brothers 4 will have “Screenshots” (very likely a Trailer).

Next Smash Bros with be an evolution of Gameplay rather than a rebalanceing+expansion pack. I am fine with this, as even though if there is a tight knit, cast both the Wii U and 3DS supports DLC (And after Fire Emblem Awakening I can safely say that Nintendo knows how to handle it unlike EA and Capcom).

Last edited May 19, 2013 at 12:52PM EDT
May 19, 2013 at 12:51PM EDT
Quote

Smash 4 was announced back in 2011, dude.
And they confirmed it’ll be shown at E3.
Probably with a trailer.

May 19, 2013 at 03:19PM EDT
Quote

Rimshot wrote:

Defentialy not another smash bros. i think they should not make a sequel. Every time a game has a sequelmit usually gets worse. Like cod for example. Or sonic, halo, etc.

So what about Melee? You think more characters, arenas, game modes, characters, and challenges was a bad thing?
Or maybe Pokemon colosseum?

May 19, 2013 at 06:55PM EDT
Quote

A new Smash Bros. would be great. New arenas, new characters. I love Nintendo like it’s a brother to me. They hardly let me down.

May 19, 2013 at 07:18PM EDT
Quote

Carno wrote:

So what about Melee? You think more characters, arenas, game modes, characters, and challenges was a bad thing?
Or maybe Pokemon colosseum?

As long as there aren’t any arenas like Pokefloats, I’ll probably be happy.

May 19, 2013 at 07:43PM EDT
Quote

Rimshot wrote:

Defentialy not another smash bros. i think they should not make a sequel. Every time a game has a sequelmit usually gets worse. Like cod for example. Or sonic, halo, etc.

>Implying SSBM and SSBB were worse than the original SSB

May 19, 2013 at 08:25PM EDT
Quote

level4outbreak wrote:

As long as there aren’t any arenas like Pokefloats, I’ll probably be happy.

I liked Pokefloats…

May 19, 2013 at 10:25PM EDT
Quote

Pokefloats was fun, but looking at it from a developers perspective seemed rather lazy.

“Oh hey, kinda running short on time, we need to pull together a stage at the last minute to fill the last slot.”

“But we gave the modelers the day off! And Fire Emblem’s Akania isn’t even designed yet!”

“Hm… how about, we take all the models from the Pokemon Trophies and throw them together into a stage! That’s really easy!”

BRILLIANT!”

Gets the codeing and testing done in one night

Last edited May 20, 2013 at 01:00AM EDT
May 20, 2013 at 12:57AM EDT
Quote

Rimshot wrote:

Defentialy not another smash bros. i think they should not make a sequel. Every time a game has a sequelmit usually gets worse. Like cod for example. Or sonic, halo, etc.

Every sequel is better.
I’m buying another Brawl copy because my brother broke it.

May 20, 2013 at 01:17AM EDT
Quote

Ike will probably be gone and replaced with Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Marth will probably have the butterfly mask thing too.
Lucario is probably gone too (shame, he’s my favorite Pokemon and I loved using him in Brawl) and will be replaced by someone from Gen VI.
Since Namco is working on the game a character or two from their company might be in the game (Tales, maybe?), and Sakurai expressed interest in adding Capcom characters.
And with Nintendo getting exclusivity on Sonic games for a few years, expect Sonic to make his triumphant return.

May 20, 2013 at 05:54AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Ike will probably be gone and replaced with Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Marth will probably have the butterfly mask thing too.
Lucario is probably gone too (shame, he’s my favorite Pokemon and I loved using him in Brawl) and will be replaced by someone from Gen VI.
Since Namco is working on the game a character or two from their company might be in the game (Tales, maybe?), and Sakurai expressed interest in adding Capcom characters.
And with Nintendo getting exclusivity on Sonic games for a few years, expect Sonic to make his triumphant return.

I never liked Ike or Marth. Lucario and Kirby are my favorite to play as. It would be a shame to let Lucario go. I would like E-102 Gamma or Knuckles to be in the game instead of Sonic.

May 20, 2013 at 06:59AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Ike will probably be gone and replaced with Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Marth will probably have the butterfly mask thing too.
Lucario is probably gone too (shame, he’s my favorite Pokemon and I loved using him in Brawl) and will be replaced by someone from Gen VI.
Since Namco is working on the game a character or two from their company might be in the game (Tales, maybe?), and Sakurai expressed interest in adding Capcom characters.
And with Nintendo getting exclusivity on Sonic games for a few years, expect Sonic to make his triumphant return.

I don’t really see Ike leaving, since Chrom could be given plenty of moves to choose from without getting them from Ike. Marth probably won’t get the butterfly mask either because

the person in the butterfly mask isn’t Marth. I could see it as an alternate outfit or maybe DLC if they’re going through with that.

Everything else sounds about right.

May 20, 2013 at 08:35AM EDT
Quote

Speaking of DLC, what do you people think is going to be added as such to the game, since Nintendo is going to start with that with Super Luigi U?

May 20, 2013 at 08:41AM EDT
Quote

Pac Man will at least be an assist trophy. Or Klonoa.

If I could choose any character from any game, I would choose Scout.
B neutral: Shotgun
B side: Pistol
B down: Mad Milk
B up: ???
Final Smash: Drink Bonk

And Medic could be an assist trophy where he ubers you.

>TFW that’s never going to happen
Unless TF2 was released on Wii U. It is possible, but…

May 20, 2013 at 04:09PM EDT
Quote

Carno wrote:

Speaking of DLC, what do you people think is going to be added as such to the game, since Nintendo is going to start with that with Super Luigi U?

Wait, so they’re expecting people to pay for Green Mario?

Worse than Horse Armor.

May 20, 2013 at 04:34PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

Wait, so they’re expecting people to pay for Green Mario?

Worse than Horse Armor.

You’d be surprised, actually,
The free dlc did well,
And the Year of Luigi group on the Wiiverse has like one hundred thousand people.
That or a million.

May 20, 2013 at 04:57PM EDT
Quote

I can’t wait to play on a Katamari stage myself.

Think of it: It starts out small, maybe with a few platforms to help keep the action going until, all of a sudden, a Katamari starts rising out underneath those platforms. You then jump onto the Katamari, growing bigger and bigger, slowly rising out of the atmosphere and into an asteroid belt. Then the King uses Royal Rainbow and everything gets returned to its original state.

Then again – big Katamari fan over here. I doubt something like it would happen, save for maybe a Prince assist trophy.

May 20, 2013 at 06:19PM EDT
Quote

madcat wrote:

I don’t really see Ike leaving, since Chrom could be given plenty of moves to choose from without getting them from Ike. Marth probably won’t get the butterfly mask either because

the person in the butterfly mask isn’t Marth. I could see it as an alternate outfit or maybe DLC if they’re going through with that.

Everything else sounds about right.

What is the best way to learn textile? I saw your spoiler icon.

Oh, and to stay on the forum topic, I agree with Digoxin. Sequels are always better. A new smash bros. would be awesome.

May 20, 2013 at 08:53PM EDT
Quote

madcat wrote:

I don’t really see Ike leaving, since Chrom could be given plenty of moves to choose from without getting them from Ike. Marth probably won’t get the butterfly mask either because

the person in the butterfly mask isn’t Marth. I could see it as an alternate outfit or maybe DLC if they’re going through with that.

Everything else sounds about right.

Ike was in Brawl because he was promoting Radiant Dawn. Similarly, Roy was in Melee because he was promoting The Binding Blade (or Fūin no Tsurugi if you have to be technical). Chrom will be there promoting Awakening.


Fridge Logic wrote:


Wait, so they’re expecting people to pay for Green Mario?
Worse than Horse Armor.


To be fair, the New Super Luigi U DLC is massive, alters Luigi’s behavior from the main game (giving him his higher jump and lesser traction), adds a completely new character (who was actually an enemy in the main game), and adds over 80 new levels.

Last edited May 20, 2013 at 10:49PM EDT
May 20, 2013 at 10:44PM EDT
Quote

Ike was included because at the time Path of Radiance was the latest game in the series during Brawl’s development I think.

Not saying that Ike has a garenteed ticket to return, BUT he has the additional force of being a main character in 2 Fire Emblem games, a trait I think is only shared by Him and Marth at the moment.

Last edited May 20, 2013 at 10:50PM EDT
May 20, 2013 at 10:50PM EDT
Quote

FloatingMarmot wrote:

What is the best way to learn textile? I saw your spoiler icon.

Oh, and to stay on the forum topic, I agree with Digoxin. Sequels are always better. A new smash bros. would be awesome.

We do have a thread on textile. It entails most related stuff.


@Cite
It felt like Roy was taken out because of his similarity to Marth, and because a new lord could be introduced, Ike, instead of just revamping Roy. It just feels wrong to think that some of the characters will be put in or taken out simply for advertising, even if that may be the case. Still, here’s hoping that Ike won’t be replaced.

May 20, 2013 at 11:14PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Ike will probably be gone and replaced with Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Marth will probably have the butterfly mask thing too.
Lucario is probably gone too (shame, he’s my favorite Pokemon and I loved using him in Brawl) and will be replaced by someone from Gen VI.
Since Namco is working on the game a character or two from their company might be in the game (Tales, maybe?), and Sakurai expressed interest in adding Capcom characters.
And with Nintendo getting exclusivity on Sonic games for a few years, expect Sonic to make his triumphant return.

Ike might not be, he’s too useful and popular.

May 21, 2013 at 03:04AM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

I never liked Ike or Marth. Lucario and Kirby are my favorite to play as. It would be a shame to let Lucario go. I would like E-102 Gamma or Knuckles to be in the game instead of Sonic.

Please no more Sonic. Sonic just doesn’t really fit in Smash Bros, maybe because of how hard his franchise has taken it in the ass.

Snake was a better fit IMO.

But as far as 3d Party goes, I want to see MegaMan.

If others can join, I’d like to see Ryu Hayabusa, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman. All 3 have had good connections with Nintendo (and so has MegaMan) and it would bring up the 3rd party number to a nice 5. I’m also trying to be realistic.

May 21, 2013 at 03:16AM EDT
Quote

I think another Super Smash Brothers would be a great idea, even if Brawl was pretty good and I have no idea how they could top it, updating with new characters and perhaps style is what made each game a bit better than the last, so why not?

May 21, 2013 at 03:50AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Please no more Sonic. Sonic just doesn’t really fit in Smash Bros, maybe because of how hard his franchise has taken it in the ass.

Snake was a better fit IMO.

But as far as 3d Party goes, I want to see MegaMan.

If others can join, I’d like to see Ryu Hayabusa, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman. All 3 have had good connections with Nintendo (and so has MegaMan) and it would bring up the 3rd party number to a nice 5. I’m also trying to be realistic.

Nintendo could bring in a different Mario for every Mario game. Like Mario on a Go Cart, or Mario with a Baseball bat or Golf Club, Mario with a squirt gun, Mario with pills, Mario going into a pipe, Mario from Smash Brothers Brawl, and of course, Mario cooking.

May 21, 2013 at 04:26AM EDT

Bat Pug wrote:

Nintendo could bring in a different Mario for every Mario game. Like Mario on a Go Cart, or Mario with a Baseball bat or Golf Club, Mario with a squirt gun, Mario with pills, Mario going into a pipe, Mario from Smash Brothers Brawl, and of course, Mario cooking.

Don’t forget Mario hitting a brick, Mario swimming, Mario with a mushroom, etc.

May 21, 2013 at 10:29AM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Ike was in Brawl because he was promoting Radiant Dawn. Similarly, Roy was in Melee because he was promoting The Binding Blade (or Fūin no Tsurugi if you have to be technical). Chrom will be there promoting Awakening.


Fridge Logic wrote:


Wait, so they’re expecting people to pay for Green Mario?
Worse than Horse Armor.


To be fair, the New Super Luigi U DLC is massive, alters Luigi’s behavior from the main game (giving him his higher jump and lesser traction), adds a completely new character (who was actually an enemy in the main game), and adds over 80 new levels.

To be frank, I still can’t really imagine anyone paying for it. Generally the DLC-buying crowd and the Mario-playing crowd – by which I mean kids and families – don’t really seem to mix.

May 21, 2013 at 11:00AM EDT
Quote

Are you kidding? Look at all the donators on mincraft servers. Lots are just kids!

May 21, 2013 at 11:01AM EDT
Quote

Katie C says:

Please no more Sonic. Sonic just doesn’t really fit in Smash Bros, maybe because of how hard his franchise has taken it in the ass.


Sonic doesn’t fit? Pfft. He’s absolutely perfect for Smash Bros.
And don’t forget his most recent games (Colors and Generations) have been really, really good.

May 21, 2013 at 02:49PM EDT
Quote

very much wanting a Tales Of Symphonia / Phantasia character in smash bros

May 21, 2013 at 02:59PM EDT
Quote

GoingMenthol wrote:

very much wanting a Tales Of Symphonia / Phantasia character in smash bros

I know it probably won’t happen, but I’m praying to Cthulu for a Final Fantasy character, preferably from I through VII.

May 21, 2013 at 03:15PM EDT
Quote

GoingMenthol wrote:

very much wanting a Tales Of Symphonia / Phantasia character in smash bros

With Yoshito Higuchi, the Director/Producer of Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia at the helm as the Co-Director; there is a chance we will be getting to see Lloyd, Luke, or Yuri as a playable character.

But he also acknowledged that Tekken got a lot of demand from the west, so we may see either one of the main characters from that.

May 21, 2013 at 03:29PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!