Forums / Discussion / General

170,257 total conversations in 5,455 threads

+ New Thread

The KYM Summer Vidya-Playing Club

Last posted Jun 06, 2013 at 08:34AM EDT. Added May 21, 2013 at 12:26AM EDT
71 posts from 26 users

Ok, guys- here’s the plan:

We’re gonna have a book club… For video games.

It will (cough hopefully cough) work exactly like a book club, either discussing chapters (or levels/certain in-game events) periodically, or maybe even beating a game before we start talking at length’s end about it. Hopefully, this will be a fun little participatory project that won’t crash and burn on takeoff!

Now then, due to this being very much in the brainstorming stage, I’d like to ask any potential participants to list the following:

1.) What consoles you own (and if your PC is capable of emulation of anything past the GBA, like DS, to PSX, to GameCube, etc.).
2.) Your favorite and least favorite types of vidya.
3.) Any thoughts, suggestions, or hopes for this group.
4.) Your suggestion for our first game.

Keep in mind that a large difference between this and a real book club is that games are (generally) more expensive than books, and participation will (more than likely) require you to shell out some dosh for some games that either can’t be emulated, or borrowed from a friend who just so happens to have it.

Alrighty then! To kick things off, I’ll answer my own questions so you won’t feel so bashful about doing it yourselves. Ain’t I the kindest?

1.) I own a PS 1, 2, 3, and Vita, as well as an Xbox 360, a Wii, an old Genesis somewhere, and I can run DeSmuMe, ePSXe, and Dolphin without a hitch.

2.) I’m a huge survival-horror and JRPG nerd. I’ve never actually cared for platformers, but there are (of course) exceptions to this cardinal rule.

3.) I hope this doesn’t horribly fail :D

4.) I’d rather not recommend a game just yet (so that I don’t feel like I’m indirectly pressuring any participants that step up to the plate here on out).

Last edited May 21, 2013 at 12:29AM EDT
May 21, 2013 at 12:26AM EDT

1.MAC
2. I love anything that is a breath of fresh air, I dislike anything that sucks. I mean, can I really divide the entire videogamaturrium into two subjects?
3. Try and bring something new to the table.
4. Tropico 3&4, System Shock 2, Stalker, Arma 2, Team Fortress 2(any game made by Valve for that matter), Company of Heroes, Bioshock(any of them), Rome Total War(#2 Is on sale now), Age of Empires 2, Empire Earth 2, Rise of Nations(very good game),Tribes:Ascend(Free,full game), and of course every other game ever made. That is the game I choose.
5. Games are not more expensive than books, I.E, Steam sales.

Last edited May 21, 2013 at 12:41AM EDT
May 21, 2013 at 12:36AM EDT

Neat idea, Patrick.
1.) PS1, PS2, PS3, Vita, 3DS, Wii and a laptop that can emulate pretty well (I’m trying to download Wind Waker at the moment to see how well it’ll work) and a moderate Steam library.
2.) I feel well rounded, with exceptions being sports games, racing games that don’t have “kart” in the title and a lot of online gaming because my lag is horrible (both net and system specs).
3.) How about a Steam group? I hope we’ll share some experiences and recommendations for games the majority of us haven’t played. Not just indie obscure stuff, but games we just haven’t heard about or held an interest in previously.
4.) Hm, ideal would be a videogame (one word!) that we could all play, so presumably a PC game or something emulated. Either that or a multiplayer game we can all play together like Terraria. A suggestion of mine would be Super Hexagon, an action music game focused on high-scores, so we could swap scores and try to one-up each other.

May 21, 2013 at 01:55AM EDT

I has xbox. I like rpgs and fps. Also, we should play together.

May 21, 2013 at 07:15AM EDT

1) Wii, Gamecube, DS/3DS, Gameboy Advanced, laptop. Nintendo, yeah.
2) Probably anything but survival horror, (Sorry, Patrick.) sports games or multi-player games with too dense a meta-game to let any newbie enjoy their first time playing.
3) Haven’t there already been two KYM Steam groups so far? Not saying it’s a bad idea, it’s not, just that it takes people with good leadership and commitment to make it work.
4) Terraria and TF2 come to mind for great games to be played together.

May 21, 2013 at 07:28AM EDT

1.) Wii, PC, PSVita, 3DS/DS/GBA, PS2, SNES
2.) Favorite: RPG, strategy, FPS, idk I’m not too picky with it comes to trying new games.
Dislike: Puzzle games
3.) Hm, I’m hoping we can try to keep the buying games part inexpensive. I just want to have more buddies to play games with, haha.
4.) Age of Empires LOL. But seriously, maybe Papo & Yo?

May 21, 2013 at 07:32AM EDT
  1. Wii, Xbox360, DS, Gamecube, SNES, Shitty Laptop.
  2. JRPG, RPG, 2-D Fighter, FPS, yadda yadda, I’m not too picky. Please no racing though (outside of Mario Kart).
  3. The biggest risk is that all the people have different consoles and different games for each console. The chance that we have a game in common (regardless of platform) is small. This makes it so that not everyone can join each conversation.
  4. Preferably something well known, that has a high chance of many of us having played it. Something like Skyrim or TF2 would be a good example, those are games everyone’s familiar with.

May 21, 2013 at 09:06AM EDT

1.) I have a nintendo Wii, a PS3, PSP (3000 series, not Vita,) a NDS and if I’m lucky I’ll have saved enough to get a laptop for gaming by mid June
2.) RPG and JRPG are my absolute fav types of games, cooperative shooters are allright, I’m not crazy about racers or platformers (Sans Assassin’s Creed, that game rules.) I DESPISE sports games.
3.) Sounds cool, I don’t know
4.) Defiance, that games sounds awesome.

Last edited May 21, 2013 at 10:09AM EDT
May 21, 2013 at 09:48AM EDT

1. PC, Xbox, DS.
2. Pretty much everything that isn’t FPS or sports.
3. PC would probably the best thing to go with for this group because it’s the most common.
4. Age of Empires? TF2? Chivalry: Medieval Warfare? I’m open for suggestions.

May 21, 2013 at 10:02AM EDT

1. PS2, Wii, GBA, GBC, DS, 360
2. Don’t really have a genre preference. If it looks interesting, I buy it.
3. Nothing now.
4. I was planning on getting GTA IV and Mass Effect 3 over the summer. I would suggest something cheap and accessible.

May 21, 2013 at 11:04AM EDT

Gta iv ks cheap and can have 18 players

May 21, 2013 at 11:54AM EDT

I have never seen so many vita owners
At last
I’m home

May 21, 2013 at 12:02PM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

1. PC, Xbox, DS.
2. Pretty much everything that isn’t FPS or sports.
3. PC would probably the best thing to go with for this group because it’s the most common.
4. Age of Empires? TF2? Chivalry: Medieval Warfare? I’m open for suggestions.

I dont have pc. We need to make groups somehow where we can set up playdates on certain consoles

May 21, 2013 at 12:12PM EDT

1. PC (no emulators, not much other than TF2, Fallout, and other Valve games), PS3 (main online gaming device), Wii (and Gamecube), DS (and Gameboy), N64, PSX, PSP, 360 (no LIVE, don’t judge me, I know…), and iOS
2. Everything BUT: Sports Games, JRPG’s (never played them, not that I don’t like them), MMO’s, and certain mods.
3. People that play on here constantly, are mature (not necessarily older, just mature), are friendly, and are NOT immature or people who yell racial slurs and curse consistently over a mic.
4. Something everyone has heard of and can enjoy, as long as I can be able to play it (by software standards).
I’m usually the… uh… “psychotic” one. I’m not totally insane, yelling into the mics, but occasionally I will kill myself somehow for no reason whatsoever if nothing serious is going on… and my friends usually respond with a friendly…

May 21, 2013 at 01:04PM EDT

I have a PS3, a Wii, a shitty laptop, a DS, and a Nintendo 64 (which still works, shockingly). I can also run Project 64 fine, and could probably run Dolphin okay. I also have a fairly large Steam library.
I like platformers, point and click adventures, shooters (I prefer third person), wide open sandboxes, non turned based RPGs (Fallout, Mass Effect, etc.), stealth games, some racing games, and action/adventures. I don’t like fighters (though exceptions exist, like Smash Bros.), strategy games (again, exceptions, like XCOM: Enemy Unknown), and sports games.
Half-Life would probably be a really good game for us to start with. Or if you want to go old school, Super Mario World would be great.

May 21, 2013 at 02:59PM EDT

Wow. I didn’t think my dumb little idea would have such a big turnout.

Alright, then… Listening to you guys, it does make the most sense to go through something like Steam, or to couple it with emulation to keep our horizons even wider, so to speak.

Even as this is the best option, this will invariably make it so that someone or some people can’t play a game with us, and as such I’d be willing to try and branch off with said someone and try and play a game along with them myself so that they don’t feel left out. Remember, though, I’m only one man so I can’t exactly do this with several different people who are trying to play 60-hour long games- this is more of a thing to tide someone over until the next game is decided, should they wish to take me up on it.

So, that leaves us to our first game. I did like RM’s idea of something we were all familiar with, at least for the first game that is, but ultimately it’s up to the group as a whole.

Our options so far were as follows:

1.) Any of the metric ton of games Bat Pug suggested (OG Bioshock is a personal favorite of mine for the pseudo-survival horror moments you experience with splicers in the dark, and Stalker is great too!)

2.) Super Hexagon, as proposed by Cyber (which looks really hype, and a little competition might be a good way to start off, right?)

3.) Vito, Wxsdas, and Rosicrucianism all suggested a multiplayer option (and this isn’t really something where we need to have our own TF2 group, but if someone wishes to play it with the others for down-time that would be perfect due to its being free and super-accessible to the average player).

4.) Moargun proposed Papa and Yo (which I don’t think I’ve ever heard of, regrettably, but I’m sure is fun due to the fact that Moargun suggested it).

5.) RM said Skyrim (who wouldn’t want to kill dragons? ’Nuff said.)

6.) Crona brought Defiance to the table (a local GameStop employee was hypig that hard last time I was in there, so it could be pretty great)

7.) Fridge suggested GTA IV and Mass Effect 3 (and I’d be willing to replay both as both were quite enjoyable, at least to me)

8.) Half-Life and Super Mario World were Cite’s suggestions (both of which being incredibly classic)

So now that I’ve hyped up everyone’s choices, as many as there may be, I’d ask that you please vote on the three games you’d most like to play from this list, labeling them 1 through 3 from order of least desire to play to most desire to play.

For example, my vote is:

Bioshock 3
Half-Life 2
STALKER 1

If there are no objections, the game with the most points in 24 hours from this post will be our first videogame. In the off-chance we get a tie, we will simply re-vote on the two or more games that tied. (Also, before I forget, any game suggested but not picked to be played stays on the list for as long as our club lasts. That being said, feel free to suggest new vidya in addition to this list next time around. The list will probably be huge by the end of all this, but that’s the plan!)

Let’s see who’s vidya will come out on top!

(And sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes- I did this post via my phone :/)

May 21, 2013 at 05:54PM EDT

I’d probably have to go with
Super Mario World
Black Mesa instead of Half-Life 1. It’s a free, superior remake of HL1.
aaand… eh, multiplayer option I guess?

also fuck bioshock and skyrim

May 21, 2013 at 06:36PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

Super Mario World

I agree with this list entirely.

May 21, 2013 at 07:02PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

Super Mario World

Cite, these were your regular suggestions as well. I don’t know if you’re trying to make us pay more attention to your suggestions, but I can’t see this as more support towards your choices because it is the exact same person voting for them.

As for my vote, I’m ok with Cite’s suggestions regardless of what I wrote before here. Bioshock is a game I still haven’t played yet but wanted to for quite a while, so there’s a vote as well. Bioshock 2 and 3 are certainly doable as well.

Skyrim is the everyone-has-it escape option, in case we can’t reach a final decision. But it’s a good game, and this would make a nice chance for me to finally start a new character with a reason.

Last edited May 21, 2013 at 07:13PM EDT
May 21, 2013 at 07:08PM EDT

1.) Xbox 360, Wii (I really like to spend the big bucks)
2.) I love RPG games, as well as FPS games. Not the lame easy FPS games, either. Like CoD. CoD sucks in my eyes. Take out Valve games. I don’t hate them. They’re just over hyped.
3.) We could all play together one day.
4.) Red Dead Redemption. Best idea ever.

May 21, 2013 at 07:56PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Cite, these were your regular suggestions as well. I don’t know if you’re trying to make us pay more attention to your suggestions, but I can’t see this as more support towards your choices because it is the exact same person voting for them.

Uh, yeah no. I just happened to like my suggestions and none of the other games that were listed am I really too keen on playing anytime soon. Primarily because:
I don’t really want to replay GTA IV or ME3 right now
I heard Defiance was awful
And I hate Skyrim and BioShock.
As for the others like Super Hexagon, they seem alright but I think that the multiplayer option thing would be better.

May 21, 2013 at 08:55PM EDT

Shouldn’t 1 be the 3rd game you’d most want to play, 2 being 2nd and 3 being the game you most want to play? Why would we give any points to a game we didn’t even like? Or am I reading this all wrong?
Anyways,
Multiplayer games (Specifically TF2 or Terraria.)
Super Mario World
Skyrim

May 21, 2013 at 09:14PM EDT

I still like the idea of doing mulitplayer on xbox

May 21, 2013 at 09:18PM EDT

Rimshot wrote:

I still like the idea of doing mulitplayer on xbox

I think Steam would be the better option, because A I think everyone on this thread has it, and B I don’t want to get into the “PSN versus XBL” debate on this thread. Plus, TF2. Nuff said.
@Everyone else
I think we should make a steam group, “KYM Vidiya Gaem Club/Group/Confederation/etc.” Primarily because I play as the Pyro all the time yet I still don’t have a fricken’ flare gun.

May 21, 2013 at 09:23PM EDT

Hey, does anyone else think Mass Effect one was basically Gears of War with a story, and alien sex of course?

May 21, 2013 at 09:24PM EDT

Bat Pug wrote:

Hey, does anyone else think Mass Effect one was basically Gears of War with a story, and alien sex of course?

What does that have to do with anything.

May 21, 2013 at 09:56PM EDT

So, for those of you still confused- this was intentioned to be a book club for vidya, meaning that we would play a game separately and then discuss what we thought about it (like complaints, praise, ideas on what you think is gonna happen later on, et cetera). It seems as though there was a bit of a misunderstanding, judging from Crona and Vito’s posts. We already have KYM steam groups, as well as Minecraft severs, and so on and so forth. I’m not like opposed to us playing online games, but it’s really meant to be like single-player games and the experience of playing them.

Also, @Rusicrucianism the point of numbering the games was to add up the collective points towards each game. The game with the most points win, so yeah.

May 21, 2013 at 09:58PM EDT

I might be down for this, depending on my budget and time schedule.

1. I have a pretty decent PC. As of now, it’s starting to get outdated, but it can still run most modern games. I also have a Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 at home, but I don’t have access to any of those at the moment (and I’d prefer to stick to PC).

I also have a DS. I may plan on getting a 3DS in the future.

2. I’m a fan of RPG and strategy. On occasion I play an FPS, but it’s not my favorite genre (I suck at them).

3. If possible, I would like to stick to cheaper games or ones on sale. Free games is always an option too.

4. As for suggestions, I just finished playing through System Shock 2 and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It’s on Steam for $10. It’s an old game, so it can run on most modern PCs.

May 21, 2013 at 10:54PM EDT

Voting closes in around 3-4 hours, and even though I’m not exactly strict on deadlines I think I have an obligation to make an exception in this case for the sake of what little integrity this group ultimately has so far. Doing a quick tally, it appears Super Mario World is in the lead (but I might have miscounted).

May 22, 2013 at 03:07PM EDT

Does it matter which version of Super Mario World we play?

I believe the GBA version had levels not present in the SNES version. I have both, either way.

May 22, 2013 at 03:20PM EDT

Sorry for the late voting, I’ll throw my hat in for Bioshock, ME3 and Papa & Yo. Although I’d suggest perhaps waiting until the latter is on discount, as it is rather pricy. Also: if we pick an exclusive game for one platform that the majority don’t have, maybe we should have two games running at once?

May 22, 2013 at 07:31PM EDT

We should have a game running for each platform. I dont have any super mario world.

May 22, 2013 at 08:44PM EDT

You can thank me later.

May 23, 2013 at 05:09AM EDT

Cyber6x wrote:

Sorry for the late voting, I’ll throw my hat in for Bioshock, ME3 and Papa & Yo. Although I’d suggest perhaps waiting until the latter is on discount, as it is rather pricy. Also: if we pick an exclusive game for one platform that the majority don’t have, maybe we should have two games running at once?

I’m with Cyber6x on this. Both on the games and waiting a bit for the summer Steam sale.

And having more than one game going at a time is a great idea! We can just have different generals for each one maybe? Maybe everyone with one system or whatever can decide on what game they would like to play on that? I don’t know, it’s a neat idea that let’s everyone do what they want.

(I also vote for AoE, Papo & Yo, or Bioshock Infinite. I’m really not too crazy about playing old SNES games or anything.)

edit: Also playing multiplayer games seems like a better idea than single player. That way we can experience the game together? I don’t know

Last edited May 23, 2013 at 07:11AM EDT
May 23, 2013 at 07:10AM EDT

Moargun wrote:

I’m with Cyber6x on this. Both on the games and waiting a bit for the summer Steam sale.

And having more than one game going at a time is a great idea! We can just have different generals for each one maybe? Maybe everyone with one system or whatever can decide on what game they would like to play on that? I don’t know, it’s a neat idea that let’s everyone do what they want.

(I also vote for AoE, Papo & Yo, or Bioshock Infinite. I’m really not too crazy about playing old SNES games or anything.)

edit: Also playing multiplayer games seems like a better idea than single player. That way we can experience the game together? I don’t know

This is an excellent idea. Different generals for each console for console exclusives so that users who own them each have a certain group to head to (i.e., PlayStation General for exclusives like God of War or Infamous, and Nintendo General for Mario or Zelda), as well as multiplayer games on those consoles. For the multi-platform games like BioShock and Mass Effect, create a general for each title.

I can’t wait to play Super Mario World again, and perhaps start on BioShock Infinite.

Last edited May 23, 2013 at 07:25AM EDT
May 23, 2013 at 07:19AM EDT

Could we have a vote on which game we’re going to play?

May 23, 2013 at 09:35AM EDT

Fridge wrote:

Yeah I don’t agree with like, an Overlord Patrick choosing what games we should play

May 23, 2013 at 09:48AM EDT

Fridge wrote:

So now that I’ve hyped up everyone’s choices, as many as there may be, I’d ask that you please vote on the three games you’d most like to play from this list, labeling them 1 through 3 from order of least desire to play to most desire to play.

For example, my vote is:

Bioshock 3
Half-Life 2
STALKER 1

Last edited May 23, 2013 at 10:02AM EDT
May 23, 2013 at 10:01AM EDT

Can I pop in and recommend a game? If so why don’t we play the Stanley Parable.
Is a mod for half life (which is now 10$) about how video games narratives are made. it will only take an hour to see all the endings and then hopefully we can start a great discussion on video game narrative and how developers should make them because it really gives a lot of food for thought. it could be a really good start.

May 23, 2013 at 12:42PM EDT

Well then, ladies and gents, it appears that we are indeed playing Super Mario World for our first game.

Reading through some of your posts, it appears a few of you still have questions, probably due to my being vague in a few areas. To specifically respond:

>if we pick an exclusive game for one platform that the majority don’t have, maybe we should have two games running at once?

This is a group collective that runs off a majority rules approach to game picking. If most people don’t have the system that a certain game is exclusive to, they most likely wouldn’t vote on it, so that problem solves itself. This being said, if there is a desire, I wouldn’t be opposed to splitting the club into smaller groups based off of the big 3 consoles and PC. This does, however, create a bit of an issue.

The groups will be much smaller, so the amount of input we get for each game is in turn much smaller.

Seeing as this is a collective, meant for a lot of input from a lot of people for the hell of it, that may prove counter-intuitive. However, I actually like that idea quite a bit. It would be pretty hype if we had console-specific groups, and if they so chose, they could consolidate with multiplats if they agree they like the game the other group has chosen, yielding an even bigger group (if that makes any sense).

>Maybe everyone with one system or whatever can decide on what game they would like to play on that? I don’t know, it’s a neat idea that let’s everyone do what they want.

Not necessarily a bad idea, but as I stated prior to this in my response to Cyber, it cuts down on the amount of people playing each game, meaning less opinions are delivered. Plus, playing games you might normally not play is actually a sort of perk, just as reading books you normally might not read is a perk of a book club. For example, as I said in the OP, I don’t like platformers, but the first game we’re going to play is actually a platformer. Am I still going to play it? Of course! That being said, I don’t want people being miserable during this, so if you don’t want to play a certain game with the group, no one will in any way make you play it.

>Also playing multiplayer games seems like a better idea than single player. That way we can experience the game together? I don’t know

As I said in my other posts, I want to make a book club for videogames. I don’t want to simply make a new Steam group, Call of Duty clan, WoW guild, Minecraft server… I want something that was meant to cater to a single person, and how it impacted you. I want to know what people love and hate about X game, what element confused them in Y game, and why Z game made them tear up at the end. If there is a game that offers a multiplayer with a story line and an end to said story, please tell me about it and we can add it to the list.

(However, due to timelines, we would invariably be leaving out people like Cyber down under if we did solely online gaming. I want everyone to be able to participate, which is why I’d rather it be non-region locked games, emulatable games, and frankly cheap games.)

>Yeah I don’t agree with like, an Overlord Patrick choosing what games we should play

So, yeah. As madcat pointed out for me, this is a democracy. I don’t have any more say in what games we play than you do. In fact, I have less say than you do in this round, seeing as I purposefully didn’t suggest a single game. Read my post in which I restate the suggested games, you’ll see I actually started the vote there, but it’s already ended.

If everyone would rather make this a console-specific thing from now on, please say so now. It’s better to have small groups of people who’d actually want to play something else but are still on a specific console they enjoy instead of a bunch of people who’d rather be playing something else on something else, if you catch my drift. However, I implore you to participate in this universal collective’s thread just this once while we try to decide the COA from here on out.

(I also recommend you read what I said to Cyber and Moargun in the previous spoilers if you think it’s a good idea, because it has a certain cost aside from taking up forum space.)

So then, to reiterate, our first game is Super Mario World. I personally don’t care which version you choose to play, but I guess that I myself will play it for the SNES. I’ll start a thread after this post, so please give your first impressions there.

May 24, 2013 at 12:50AM EDT

I know I’m super-late on this, but since I jumped in on the Super Mario discussion, I guess I might as well respond here

1.) SNES and Wii, as well as a decent laptop running Win7, but no game controllers.
2.) I’m usually a big fan of any sort of game that involves puzzle-solving. Generally this means games along the lines of Myst, but there are puzzle-solving elements from all sorts of games.
3.) I won’t be offended if I can’t join in any specific activity, but I’m not likely to spend any money on a game, which clearly limits my choices.
4.) Super Mario World worked out for me, obviously, but with respect to my answer to #3, choosing classic games that one would be able to play cheap or free on emulators I think would be a good choice most of the time.

Anyway, cool idea, Patrick!

May 25, 2013 at 02:34AM EDT

Thanks, Brucker. You (and anyone else interested for that matter) are welcome at any time, and I won’t be offended if you don’t want to spend money on any games, and it’s fortunate that you not only already had our first game, but are an old hand at it as well.

Cheers, everyone… This is sort’ve working thus far!

May 25, 2013 at 02:48AM EDT

(Spontaneous grammar Nazi-ing incoming, feel free to ignore.)

You know, it can be pretty annoying for a grammar Nazi like me when someone types “should of” when the proper usage is “should have” or even the semi-acceptable “should’ve”, but I think your usage of “sort’ve” is the first time I’ve seen the inverse of this mistake. I try not to make an issue of grammar in the forums so much, but seriously, “This is [sort have] working thus far!”? That just cracked me up, and I had to comment.

May 25, 2013 at 04:02AM EDT

Ah, you’ll have to forgive me… A regrettable habit of mine is my pronunciation of “sorta” as “sort’ve.” Because I type in the same manner that I speak, I interchangeably type both without realizing it… As you can imagine, I have caught quite a large amount of flak from English teachers past and present as a result of this. Even so, I’d still say comma splicing and my over-saturation of parenthetical sentences constitute my biggest failings in regards to English. ;_;

Last edited May 25, 2013 at 04:28AM EDT
May 25, 2013 at 04:26AM EDT

Patrick wrote:

Ok, guys- here’s the plan:

We’re gonna have a book club… For video games.

It will (cough hopefully cough) work exactly like a book club, either discussing chapters (or levels/certain in-game events) periodically, or maybe even beating a game before we start talking at length’s end about it. Hopefully, this will be a fun little participatory project that won’t crash and burn on takeoff!

Now then, due to this being very much in the brainstorming stage, I’d like to ask any potential participants to list the following:

1.) What consoles you own (and if your PC is capable of emulation of anything past the GBA, like DS, to PSX, to GameCube, etc.).
2.) Your favorite and least favorite types of vidya.
3.) Any thoughts, suggestions, or hopes for this group.
4.) Your suggestion for our first game.

Keep in mind that a large difference between this and a real book club is that games are (generally) more expensive than books, and participation will (more than likely) require you to shell out some dosh for some games that either can’t be emulated, or borrowed from a friend who just so happens to have it.

Alrighty then! To kick things off, I’ll answer my own questions so you won’t feel so bashful about doing it yourselves. Ain’t I the kindest?

1.) I own a PS 1, 2, 3, and Vita, as well as an Xbox 360, a Wii, an old Genesis somewhere, and I can run DeSmuMe, ePSXe, and Dolphin without a hitch.

2.) I’m a huge survival-horror and JRPG nerd. I’ve never actually cared for platformers, but there are (of course) exceptions to this cardinal rule.

3.) I hope this doesn’t horribly fail :D

4.) I’d rather not recommend a game just yet (so that I don’t feel like I’m indirectly pressuring any participants that step up to the plate here on out).

“We’re gonna have a book club…For video games.”

The irony of this is that when I went to my library to get the book for the actual book club, I realized that the library has video games as well. It also wasn’t a bad selection either. I’m probably going to rent Pandora’s Tower (which I’ve heard good things about) when I go to the library to get the next book.

May 25, 2013 at 04:38PM EDT

@Patrick:

“sort’ve” is the correct pronunciation, since “of” is pronounced “uv”; it’s just the wrong spelling. I actually don’t take issue with “sorta”, even though it’s not a real word, since it’s just a typographical representation of the way many people pronounce “sort of” although if one wanted to get really technical, the correct spelling of the the mispronunciation would be “sort o’ working”. I really don’t want to derail this discussion into a grammar thread especially since I must ask…

@Captain Badass:

You library has video games? I was going to mention libraries, but figured since it wouldn’t be helpful, there was no point. (You know I hate to sidetrack discussions with trivialities, lol.) Where do you go to find video games in a library?

May 25, 2013 at 05:00PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!