Forums / General

191,298 total conversations in 5,246 threads

+ New Thread

The KYM Summer Vidya-Playing Club

Last posted Jun 06, 2013 at 08:34AM EDT. Added May 21, 2013 at 12:26AM EDT
71 conversations with 26 participants

1.)- I have a XBOX 360 and a PC built for games.

2.)- Open world have a special place in my heart. As least favorite, I’m not a big fan of plataform games

3.)- I hope someone else agree with me

4.)- Let’s try any kind of browser game (I don’t know if it is the kind of game for this thread, but they are free and pretty much everyone here have acces to them)
I’ll go with Surgeon Simultor 2013, everyone should give it a try

May 25, 2013 at 06:26PM EDT

1.) Nearly all of the Nintendoes, including Virtual Boy, a Sega Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, (with 32X,) Saturn and Dreamcast, Playstation 1, 2, and 3, Xbox Original and 360. There’s probably more.

2.) My favorites are Platformers, JRPGs, Action, Adventure, Beat-em-Up and Puzzle, as long as they have interesting gimmicks or gameplay mechanics. My least favorites tend to be WRPGs, FPSes, Sandboxes, and Simulations.

3.) I’m hoping we get into more obscure titles. Perhaps something like Jet Set Radio.

4.) Either Wario Land 2 or 4. Wario Land 2 is easy to pick up and play – in fact, you can’t even die in it. It also has multiple paths and endings, so two people could play and get very different story-arcs. Wario Land 4 is a bit more of a straight shoot, and has a heart system. Wario Land 4, I think, might be the better of the two, but I’m not sure as to availability for either.

May 25, 2013 at 07:03PM EDT

@Intergalactic Joe:
You’ve got a Virtual Boy and a Dreamcast? Sounds like it might be easier to list which consoles you don’t have.

JSR is an interesting suggestion, as it’s a pretty unusual game. Do you know if there is a way to get it free or cheap?

May 25, 2013 at 07:44PM EDT

@Brucker
Apparently my library has video games. I walked in the front door, looked slightly to the right, and they were staring me in the face. I think it’s a relatively new thing because they were never there back when I regularly visited the library (probably about 5 years ago) and because the selection was relatively small.

May 25, 2013 at 09:31PM EDT

Hmm, I’ve known for some time that comic books are usually shelved at 741.5, and most libraries have a section for DVDs, but video games is a new one for me.

A quick search shows that 794.8 is the Dewey Decimal classification for video games, but I’m guessing that’s going to be pretty much books about video games in most libraries. …and a search of my local library’s catalog shows books about Pokemon shelved at 793.9, so who knows? I’ll just have to snoop around next time I’m in the neighborhood.

May 25, 2013 at 10:41PM EDT

Brucker wrote:

@Intergalactic Joe:
You’ve got a Virtual Boy and a Dreamcast? Sounds like it might be easier to list which consoles you don’t have.

JSR is an interesting suggestion, as it’s a pretty unusual game. Do you know if there is a way to get it free or cheap?

That was a great suggestion on the part of Intergalactic Joe… JSR is very near and dear to my heart (though Jet Set Radio Future, its sequel, may very well be twice as close). I suppose that you could always emulate it, but the Dreamcast had some impressive specs back in its day (if it ever had a day, that is), so I don’t know if every computer could run an emu for it. If you wish to try, I’ve heard good things about Chankast.

For a more legal option, I know for certain that you can get a JSR port for $10 on PSN and XBLA. Not too expensive, but not too cheap either.

Also worth noting is that JSRF can be found in just about every local game shop as a bundled disc that came with the original Xbox (on the same disc as Sega GT 2002). I’ve picked up these for as little as 50 cents as incredibly cheap gifts for gamer friends, and so far no one has been dissatisfied due to either the disturbingly catchy music or the addictive gameplay.

To reiterate due to my tangent, there are ways of getting JSR free or cheap, but cheap isn’t that cheap to be honest, and free may be difficult to run on some computers.

May 25, 2013 at 11:29PM EDT

So… should we kind of start going over our next game? Not necessarily start it, but decide what the next title should be on the playthrough? What ideas do you guys have?
I would probably go with something like…
Amnesia!

Or another survival horror game like Resident Evil.

Or should we go the multiplayer route? I’m up for anything!

Last edited May 31, 2013 at 04:44AM EDT
May 31, 2013 at 04:24AM EDT

@Mark

Seeing as the discussion in the other thread is slowing, it may indeed be prudent to move on to our next game soon. As such, voting for the next game starts on Monday (if nobody objects), so I suggest everyone add to our list now if they so desire. I’m going to be using an online poll this time around, so you unfortunately won’t be able to have last minute entries.

As for my suggestions, I’ll make up for my lack of a suggestion in my OP by suggesting two games now… I’d like to add Mega Man Legends and Silent Hill 3 (my favorite SH) to the running.

Jun 01, 2013 at 11:51AM EDT

I just got the humble bundle, so for our next thing I suggest Hotline Miami, it’s eh pretty cool game and the Humble Bundle is only a minimum of 6$.
Also, did we ever make that Steam group?

Jun 02, 2013 at 01:28PM EDT

Sir Crona Gorgon, Sr. VII wrote:

I just got the humble bundle, so for our next thing I suggest Hotline Miami, it’s eh pretty cool game and the Humble Bundle is only a minimum of 6$.
Also, did we ever make that Steam group?

OOO! Is it Humble Bundle time? I missed it last year, and was so pissed.

For those not familiar, this is awesomesauce.

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:56PM EDT

Brucker wrote:

OOO! Is it Humble Bundle time? I missed it last year, and was so pissed.

For those not familiar, this is awesomesauce.

I heard that Awesomenauts and Thomas was Alone are good games. I gotta play Little Inferno, it was made by the same people who made World of Goo, a game that I really like.

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:51PM EDT

I really liked the suggestion near the top of page one, suggesting Rise of Nations, Empire Earth, and other strategy games. Unfortunately It might be somewhat impractical because those games are rather old and possibly difficult to find and still somewhat expensive. I don’t know if any been put up for digital distribution.

Jun 02, 2013 at 10:12PM EDT

Alright! Looks like it’s about time for Game #2! I’ll stop accepting new votes tomorrow (6/4) at midnight, Central Standard Time. You’re allowed multiple votes per ballot, but try to limit yourself to just 3 votes pls~

(Also, because of the new voting format, new posts are somewhat unnecessary… Someone may have to bump this thread so that everyone can find and participate in the poll.)

Okay! Let’s get votin’!

Last edited Jun 03, 2013 at 04:17PM EDT
Jun 03, 2013 at 04:16PM EDT

Can I join?

1.) Wii and Gamecube Games. A DS and a 3DS. Also a Game Boy Pocket and a SNES, but haven’t got many games.

2.) I don’t really have a favorite genre, but right now I’m crazy for the First Person Point and Click Games. Mostly if they have health and stats. I played a few that don’t have those, and they’re fun, but not as I expected.
And if there was a genre I sort of dislike, it would be MMORPGs.

3.) Not because I’m into old games, but we should go for the oldies. If it’s on a site like GOG it won’t be over $10. And if not, it can be easily emulated.

4.) Either Waxworks or Elvira: Mistress of the Dark . The Amiga version of Elvira has better music than the DOS, but it might be a bit hard to find an emulator. Waxworks is there with no need of emulator or risk of virus, but costs $6.00. Another warning: Waxworks gets pretty graphic.

If not, can anyone recommend any game of this genre? I can’t get enough of this, and there doesn’t seem to be much.

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:42PM EDT

Perhaps one of the Humble Bundle games for the third round? Or Katawa Shoujo? (JK, I know everyone’s sick of discussing KS except for me.)

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:38AM EDT

Speaking of Humble Bundle, I downloaded my games via torrent, but I honestly don’t understand the technology. I’m probably going to go look it up anyway, but can anyone explain to me how torrenting works in simple language? The torrent program I have shows me tons of data that’s all gibberish to me, making me wonder what it is exactly that it’s doing.

Jun 04, 2013 at 03:03PM EDT

@Bunker
Torrents are part of a Bit Torrent system. It is a giant peer to peer network system that is based across the entire web.

A peer to peer network will take bits of the file that you want to download ( torrent ) from different users that are connected to the network that already have that file. This increases the speed of large file downloads. After downloading the file, it will allow other people to copy the data that you downloaded, thus increasing their download speed.

@The Poll
It would be cool if Hotline Miami won, so far it is an amazing fast paced game with great game mechanics. this humble bundle that Hubble bundle released is easily worth $10 with the addition of 4 new games today in my opinion. It should also be noted that the Humble Weekly Bundle that is ending tomorrow features The Walking Dead.

At the price of around $4.50, this is a very great deal for this game alone that makes this bundle stand out, if you do not own the game I would recommend you purchase it from the Weekly Bundle now.

Last edited Jun 04, 2013 at 05:19PM EDT
Jun 04, 2013 at 05:14PM EDT

@Tim the Enchanter:

So when I leave the program open, people are copying the files from me which, so long as my current connection is high quality, is a good thing, right? (Reminds me of the old Napster days…)

Holy crap! I just got an e-mail saying they added four more games to the bundle!

This is mind-blowing; the amount which I paid--which I thought was generous--is probably less than I would have paid for the soundtracks alone (assuming the soundtracks are good, which they probably are).

Last edited Jun 04, 2013 at 07:04PM EDT
Jun 04, 2013 at 06:55PM EDT

Humble Bundle is beyond awesome for a low budget gamer (i.e. every gamer).

Also, only a few hours left until I stop accepting new votes! Only 5 people have voted, so let’s get cracking!

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:18PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!