Forums / Discussion / General

168,567 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread

Thoughts about irrational fears.

Last posted May 29, 2013 at 12:09PM EDT. Added May 21, 2013 at 01:59PM EDT
31 posts from 19 users

Those canisters that they put pre-made biscuits and croissants in.

I always get someone else to open them for me because when they pop, I have the irrational fear that it will, like, blow up my hand or something…
I know. It’s weird. I’m weird…

May 21, 2013 at 02:14PM EDT

Kyntak wrote:

Those canisters that they put pre-made biscuits and croissants in.

I always get someone else to open them for me because when they pop, I have the irrational fear that it will, like, blow up my hand or something…
I know. It’s weird. I’m weird…

I have that fear too, don’t worry. I always get the feeling that small explosions will be worse than they actually are.

May 21, 2013 at 02:22PM EDT

Pickup Trucks.

Mainly because it is not out of the realm of possibility for two strong guys to come out of nowhere, load my scooter up in one, and drive away without me ever noticing.

I drove into the parking lot of a convenience store yesterday and nearly had a heart attack when there was 9 of them filling up all but one of the parking spaces. x_x

May 21, 2013 at 02:35PM EDT

Needles. To the point that during blood work or vaccinations, I’ll actually faint.

May 21, 2013 at 03:16PM EDT

Looks like I’ll be the dick here posting everyone’s fears…

@Kyntak
Would you like some cashews?

Or maybe some potato chips… snake bursts out of can

Dammit…

@Natsuru

They’re coming for you…

@ Level4

If you faint now, you won’t feel it until later!

And just to be fair, I’ll post my fear as well. Germs. I always wash my hands after shaking someone’s hand, I never eat food that’s been out for more than a minute if I haven’t seen it, I despise flies touching anything of mine, and I always carry a hand sanitizer with me at all times.

May 21, 2013 at 03:28PM EDT

MarkHoax, you’re such a dick xD

Although those would give me a heart attack, it’s not my biggest fear, just my most irrational (i.e. I know for a fact that the canister won’t explode, but for whatever reason can’t convince myself to open it without panicking.)

Also, I want to say that I don’t believe there is ever an irrational fear--only an irrational reaction. Fear is a defense mechanism we gradually developed as sentient organisms to stay away from dangerous or deadly ‘things’. For example, Level4s fear of needles is correlated with pain (an indication of damage to the body), so the fear is rational. However, fainting to it is an irrational reaction, esp. if the needle contains something good for him, like a vaccine or medicine. Even Natsurus bizarre fear of pick up trucks is rational, in the sense her(?) fear stems from a fear of loss (having her scooter stolen).
And of course, MarkHoaxs fear is very rational considering the impact media has on us and all the health scares we see. That fear stems from the fear of Death, as many germs lead to fatal illness. Your germophobia is pretty mild (an extreme case would be someone who doesn’t even touch others, whereas you at least can.)

Also. Payback:

May 21, 2013 at 03:53PM EDT

I have an irrational fear of things on my laptop suddenly not working anymore.
Well, maybe it is rational. It has happened before.

May 21, 2013 at 05:26PM EDT

I’m not sure if being afraid of spiders is rational or not, but what IS irrational is my fear of mannequins. Not the ones without heads. Those are fine. The ones with heads, limbs, the whole set. Those are freaky.

May 21, 2013 at 07:42PM EDT

There is no rationality in nor evidence supporting of my fear, but I’m afraid that if I sleep in an environment with mosquitos, one of them will land on my eye, insert its proboscis through my eyelid and suck out my eye juice.

I don’t even know. But it’s been with me for years.

May 22, 2013 at 12:03AM EDT

Wasps and needles, they used to scare me a lot more, but I’ve learned to control my fear. I still hate them, but I don’t freak out anymore. Before, sometimes I would just start crying.

May 22, 2013 at 01:33AM EDT

I find facts creepy. Yes, facts. Just, like, little known things about pretty much anything in regards to television shows, songs, toys, games, etc. I’ve always found stuff like that creepy but with a wierd sort of fascination for them.

May 22, 2013 at 10:06AM EDT

Seeing an open TV or PC monitor alone in a slightly-dark room and/or at night time.

Inb4 The Ring

May 22, 2013 at 12:05PM EDT

skully mann wrote:

Seeing an open TV or PC monitor alone in a slightly-dark room and/or at night time.

Inb4 The Ring

NOT A “THE RINGREFERENCE
But yeah, It’s even worse if it’s a TV screen with white noise.

May 22, 2013 at 01:29PM EDT

@ ExudesAffluence
It could be worse… you could end up with this.

@ Dactective L
Imagine… cazadores from New Vegas existing in real life…

@ scary03

This ain’t the Ring… it’s something far worse! Look away while you still can…

Last edited May 22, 2013 at 02:28PM EDT
May 22, 2013 at 02:03PM EDT

When ever a hoodie comes near me, I get scared they are gonna attack me or mug me, or generally something bad.

May 22, 2013 at 03:45PM EDT

Bat Pug wrote:

When ever a hoodie comes near me, I get scared they are gonna attack me or mug me, or generally something bad.

Whenever a pug comes near me i fear he’s actually bat pug and he’s gonna attack me or mug me or generally something bad.

May 23, 2013 at 09:22AM EDT

Bat Pug wrote:

I read this and imagined a disembodied, floating hooded jacket drifting toward someone and shanking them.

May 23, 2013 at 10:02AM EDT

For some reason. Video game glitches REALLY freak me out unless I caused them intentionally. If a glitch pops up, I’ll freak out and turn off whatever I’m playing. And sometimes even delete my save file and never play the game again…

Last edited May 23, 2013 at 12:54PM EDT
May 23, 2013 at 12:54PM EDT

I’m afraid of throwing up
I don’t know why, idk if there was some traumatic experience that made me so scared
I haven’t gotten any sleep
I just lie in my bed, staring at the ceiling, terrified because I know that at some point in the future, I will get sick and throw up
I’ve lost almost 15 pounds in the last couple months because I don’t eat
I’m scared and exhausted and it’s breaking me

May 23, 2013 at 01:17PM EDT

ProjectENDO wrote:

I’m afraid of throwing up
I don’t know why, idk if there was some traumatic experience that made me so scared
I haven’t gotten any sleep
I just lie in my bed, staring at the ceiling, terrified because I know that at some point in the future, I will get sick and throw up
I’ve lost almost 15 pounds in the last couple months because I don’t eat
I’m scared and exhausted and it’s breaking me

Wow, that’s scary and… actually kind of sad. Do you have any sort of food allergies that would make you throw up if you ate them? The only thing I could tell you is to just be careful not to get sick.

May 23, 2013 at 01:20PM EDT

Heavily sexual stuff.

I’m not asexual, I just don’t find certain kinks attractive, like huge amounts of semen/vaginal fluid, or focus on sex parts like the clit/penis.

I would rather just fap to the other parts of the body, like the breasts or butt.

May 23, 2013 at 04:08PM EDT

I’m afraid of rollercoasters.

I still like rides though, just not those ones that are super fast, have sharp turns or drops, or have loops. I’m afraid that the bolts will unscrew and the cart will fly off the track or something.

May 23, 2013 at 09:18PM EDT

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

Heavily sexual stuff.

I’m not asexual, I just don’t find certain kinks attractive, like huge amounts of semen/vaginal fluid, or focus on sex parts like the clit/penis.

I would rather just fap to the other parts of the body, like the breasts or butt.

May 24, 2013 at 10:06AM EDT

Social anxiety’s an irrational fear, right? Other than that, I’ve got nothing.

May 25, 2013 at 11:45PM EDT

Pseudogenesis wrote:

Social anxiety’s an irrational fear, right? Other than that, I’ve got nothing.

There could always be a reason for it, such as disliking embarassment or what people think of you, etc.

May 28, 2013 at 10:25AM EDT

I’ve got two of those sort of fears, not sure if the second counts as an irrational fear though.
The first is that our computer gets some sort of virus that pops up a screamer image at random times. This is a kinda big one for me, after I read that bonggeong (something like that) ghost story. That story with 2 scripts and sounds. I read that unknowingly what it was, and it scared the f*cking crap out of me. Read it in the afternoon, and that night, I couldn’t sleep, lying trembling in my bed. So I don’t wanna know what happens when I’m alone in the evening, and such a screamer pops up.

The second one isn’t really a ‘fear’ I think. But I almost always get nervous when I’m cycling home, and a car stops in front of me. Got this after what happened at a birthday of my aunt. Me and a nephew walked towards a bridge near her house, when a car came over it, turned in the corner, and then stopped. There came this big tattoo guy out of it, who thought that we threw tiny stones at his car. While it was the small bank that flang those up. We were pretty terified at that moment, which now gave me this nervousity.

May 29, 2013 at 12:09PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!