Forums / Discussion / General

170,367 total conversations in 5,459 threads

+ New Thread

Non-Fic Summer Reading Group?

Last posted May 21, 2013 at 08:25PM EDT. Added May 21, 2013 at 06:18PM EDT
10 posts from 3 users

So, I saw a summer reading group was put together ( and it was a cool idea, props to Amanda for that), and even a possible summer video games group, but both of these seemed to be in the realm of fiction. I was thinking of maybe trying to organize something along the lines of a Non-Fic Summer Reading Group (no offense to all Ficfans, but I’ve always preferred Non-fic, and was always bummed on summer reading lists where there were rarely any on the lists.)

So I was thinking that for a week or so, you all submit suggestions on what to read, then I’ll try to start a survey and narrow it down, then we can discuss the book and our thoughts (did you agree with the author, what was interesting to you in particular, are there any ideas in the book you would like to expand on, etc.).

So, to any who are interested, submit some suggests on books to read, with the Title, Author and a short description on what it covers. (You can also put up the cover art to maybe get more people intrigued by your suggestion when we vote :).

Your submission MUST be Non-fictional (reality based) and in novel format (no Eyewitness books or Ripley’s believe it or not nonsense, etc.). So any novel that based on an actual experience is submit-able (Autobiographies/Biographies/Memoirs/Recollections, books on theories, field research or theoretical research, etc.)

May 21, 2013 at 06:18PM EDT

Here are a few of my suggestions:
|

Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology, and Less from Eachother
By Prof. Sherry Turkle
The book covers two subjects: Social Media/The Internet and Robotics, and how they affect our lives (both beneficially and detrimentally) as well as what we might expect in the future. This is a great book for anyone who loves technology, psychology or sociology.
|

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
By Mary Roach
A factual as well as [dry] humorous book. She examines what happens to us after we die, from cadavers, to mummies, to mulch, and even cannibalism dumplings. You will learn and laugh from this book. (I have actually read this before, but that was a while ago, so a nice overview might be nice, but the parts I do remember were very funny and interesting if not bizarre.)
|

Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies
By Jared Diamond
A Pulitzer prize winner. It is known for being a book that is extremely enlightening on civilization, sociology and anthropology.CAUTION: Order of The Pheonix Thick
|

The Omnivore Dillemma: The Natural History of Four Meals
By Micheal Pollan
A book about where our food comes from in various ways. If you’ve read King Corn, Food Inc, or Food Politics you will definitely love this. OR if you’ve ever just wanted to learn more about diets and where the food on your table comes from, or just a foodie in general.

Last edited May 21, 2013 at 06:35PM EDT
May 21, 2013 at 06:33PM EDT

P.S. You can tell how confident I am of this by the repetitious use of the word So in my initial post X_X oi vey

May 21, 2013 at 06:38PM EDT

Wouldn’t this be better to put with the regular reading group? I don’t mind two reading groups, but you’re basically forced to start a reading group without those already reading a book in the other reading group (they can read two books of course, but I believe most would rather finish one first before moving on). It’s basically a huge loss of potentional interest. If you can get the regular group to support your idea to read something realistic (with auto-support from fans of realistic you can perhaps still gather here), the result would be much greater.

Just a suggestion. As the OP I’ll leave the choice to you.

May 21, 2013 at 06:42PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Wouldn’t this be better to put with the regular reading group? I don’t mind two reading groups, but you’re basically forced to start a reading group without those already reading a book in the other reading group (they can read two books of course, but I believe most would rather finish one first before moving on). It’s basically a huge loss of potentional interest. If you can get the regular group to support your idea to read something realistic (with auto-support from fans of realistic you can perhaps still gather here), the result would be much greater.

Just a suggestion. As the OP I’ll leave the choice to you.

Oh, of course x.x I by no means hope to demean the original group, I just thought it would have been rude of me to interrupt their group. And I came in too late to suggest anything, so I thought it’d be best if I just start another group.
But I do see your point. The outcome would be better if maybe we worked together, rather than me tugging at the opposite end of the same audience. I just don’t want to be a bother x.x
But, thank you for the suggestion. I’ll have to see if I can work something out.. or something, lol

May 21, 2013 at 06:53PM EDT

Kyntak wrote:

Oh, of course x.x I by no means hope to demean the original group, I just thought it would have been rude of me to interrupt their group. And I came in too late to suggest anything, so I thought it’d be best if I just start another group.
But I do see your point. The outcome would be better if maybe we worked together, rather than me tugging at the opposite end of the same audience. I just don’t want to be a bother x.x
But, thank you for the suggestion. I’ll have to see if I can work something out.. or something, lol

It’s no biggy. I don’t know how long the other group is going to spend on each book, but should they get done of course suggestions are open again.

That’s the moment where you strike!

May 21, 2013 at 06:58PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

It’s no biggy. I don’t know how long the other group is going to spend on each book, but should they get done of course suggestions are open again.

That’s the moment where you strike!

Yeah. I guess I’ll keep this thread open until I can maybe work something out with the leader of the original group, or at the very least see how interested/uninterested others would be in non-fic books

May 21, 2013 at 07:21PM EDT

THE GLASS CASTLE! It’s my favorite nonfiction book. I love it. Highly recommended for everyone.

May 21, 2013 at 07:38PM EDT

Le Bumpkin wrote:

THE GLASS CASTLE! It’s my favorite nonfiction book. I love it. Highly recommended for everyone.

I’ve heard of this book so much, but never read it even though a bunch of my friends apparently have and ALL of them say they love x.x
Very good recomendation : ) Thank you

May 21, 2013 at 07:48PM EDT

Closed Thread
If you have any suggestions just write em down and keep em in your happy place. Decided to try to work with the original group, so just submit suggestions after they finish this round and begin the next one (They’re reading Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow btw, for any interested :o)

Last edited May 21, 2013 at 08:29PM EDT
May 21, 2013 at 08:25PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!