Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Emulators General

Last posted May 24, 2013 at 08:11PM EDT. Added May 23, 2013 at 02:03PM EDT
21 posts from 14 users

Well, like I said before, I have the classic N64. Goldeneye is my top game on it, followed by Super Mario 64, all three Mario Parties, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Mario Kart, Banjo Kazooie, and some other titles that I can't remember off the top of my head.
Best… Nintendo… Ever!

HYEZ!
But seriously, though, I do like the 64. It's graphics are obviously not on par with the current generation, but that's probably the least important attribute to games nowadays… So many indie titles emulating the 8- or 16-bit era. I have Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and Harvest Moon 64.

My general rules about Emulators is this:

1. It's okay if you own the game and want to Lets Play.
2. It's okay if you don't own the game and can't reasonably acquire the game. (Region Locked, Not at Retail, Etc)

Otherwise… yeah.

I tried playing Fatal Frame 2 on the Dolphin Emulator, but quickly found that my computer did not have the ram needed to keep track of my computer processes, livestream, and emulate at the same time.

I will find a way some time or later though…

I'm currently emulating MegaMan Legends 2 on ePSXe, and not really having any trouble with it. As for GameCube, Dolphin runs like a dream for Wind Waker but sometimes drops framerate by around 10 FPS during Metroid Prime and Twilight Princess… It's not as detracting as it sounds though, I assure you. It's really only noticeable if it happens during combat.

I also use Project64 for N64 games, and DeSmuMe for DS… So yeah. I normally only emulate things I can't actually buy here in town, but I also emulate games I actually own so that I can play them when I'm on the go.

Professor Metallica enjoys pencils. wrote:

Anybody playing classic games on emulators? If so, which consoles are you emulating, and what games are you playing on them? I have an emulator for every console made by Nintendo, aside from the 3DS or the Virtual Boy.

"I have an emulator for every console made by Nintendo, aside from… the Virtual Boy."

Please play Virtual Boy Wario Land at least once in your life.
I actually bought a Virtual Boy just to play it. Worth it all the way.

But anyway, I used to be big into emulation and such, but I started getting out of it because I like having physical copies, correct controllers, full capabilities, (It'll run exactly like on the console, because it IS the console,) etc. The same reasons I bought a Sega Saturn, 32X and, as listed, the Virtual Boy.

I'd be willing to play again if it gets to the point where I absolutely cannot play something I desperately want to play, but I'm still concerned with viruses and finding the ROM, plus everything listed above. I would've said Earthbound a year ago, if it wasn't for the Virtual Console re-release. Probably now "For The Frog The Bell Tolls," but it isn't a must-play.

tl;dr: I'm fine with emulation, but I personally don't see it as superior in any way.

I will highly recommend Mother 3 to anyone who has a GBA emulator. I could not put this game down because I HAD to know what happened next!

Aside from that, I still have a few SNES games, but no console, because it mysteriously disappeared one day. So I've been wanting a replacement console for about 6 or 7 years now. It really comes down to when I have an extra $40.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

My general rules about Emulators is this:

1. It's okay if you own the game and want to Lets Play.
2. It's okay if you don't own the game and can't reasonably acquire the game. (Region Locked, Not at Retail, Etc)

Otherwise… yeah.

I tried playing Fatal Frame 2 on the Dolphin Emulator, but quickly found that my computer did not have the ram needed to keep track of my computer processes, livestream, and emulate at the same time.

I will find a way some time or later though…

That's my problem witht the Dolphin emulator, not to mention the fact that I get all my ROMs from Coolroms.com and even though they have Gamecube ROMs, they aren't actually in the correct format to be played on my emulators.

EDIT: NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT I GOT THE EMULATORS FROM THE SAME PLACE

Last edited May 24, 2013 at 10:16AM EDT

Dolphin is intended to play rips of ISO disk formats. I got the Dolphin Emulator from it's Official Site and I torrented fatal frame's 2 and 4.

The real primary issue with Dolphin is that unless if the game was developed by first party or was developed with the first party's game engines, you will hit a ton of issues that you have to go fix yourself.

I am not a code junkie, so unfortunately Rouge Squadron 2 had to sit to the side for now.

Last edited May 24, 2013 at 02:24PM EDT

Continuing my ongoing talk of ancient video games, I recently downloaded a decent Commodore64 emulator to play some of the games I enjoyed as a kid. I know not a lot of people are highly interested in the same sort of antediluvian entertainment I am, but there are some classic games that have an impressive amount of replayability. Also, in my opinion it can be interesting to remember that there was a time that these primitive-looking games were

…the standard for 8-bit home computers. Its low cost, superior graphics, high quality sound and a massive 64 KB of RAM positioned it as the winner in the home computer wars, knocking out competitors from the likes of Atari, Texas Instruments, Sinclair, Apple and IBM. (quote from here)

I suppose that while I'm using that emulator for nostalgic purposes, I'd be interested in other emulators for classic games that I missed over the years having never been a hardcore gamer.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!