Forums / Discussion / General

171,295 total conversations in 5,502 threads

+ New Thread

Serious on Agricultural Management

Last posted May 26, 2013 at 10:50AM EDT. Added May 26, 2013 at 09:47AM EDT
10 posts from 6 users

Lecturing at the conference Educar Educador in Sao Paulo last week, I was asked if I knew a serious game on agricultural management. Target group should be veterinary students.
Is there anyone who could give me some hints in order to help the person who asked me?

May 26, 2013 at 09:47AM EDT

This is a really weird place to ask this question. Also, this question is too vague, so don’t expect an answer if you ask this somewhere else.

May 26, 2013 at 10:17AM EDT

Hello there, Dr. Veen. Welcome to Know Your Meme.

I can’t think of a game like that off of the top of my head. I can’t imagine that there’d be one, but I only know of a few genres of games. But our users here are pretty diverse and might have come across something to that effect.

We also have at least one user here who is from The Netherlands. I’m not sure if that will help, but at least you might speak the same language, quite literally.

May 26, 2013 at 10:23AM EDT

I can’t think of any game short of Farmville that focuses on agricultural management. I think you will find that such a thing doesn’t exist.

Last edited May 26, 2013 at 10:25AM EDT
May 26, 2013 at 10:24AM EDT

Thanks, yes it is a weird place for this question, but it happens that I find what I am looking for in unexpected areas :)

May 26, 2013 at 10:27AM EDT

Does he mean game plan or video game? I might have misread it.

If he means game, I know there is a farm simulator ( called farm simulator) that’s pretty extensive in what you can do. As for a veterinary game, I don’t know. But instead of having students play games, why not just take them to a dairy or a veterinarian. No game can compare to real life experience.

Last edited May 26, 2013 at 10:30AM EDT
May 26, 2013 at 10:29AM EDT

Thanks a lot CrouchingSloth, this is exactly what I was looking for. My Brazilian colleague will be happy!

May 26, 2013 at 10:47AM EDT

Verbose wrote:

We also have at least one user here who is from The Netherlands. I’m not sure if that will help, but at least you might speak the same language, quite literally.

Oh you. But don’t worry, this is a public discussion, so I’ll stick with English.

For a simple game that appeals to the masses, Farmville is the most simple it can get. But this is far from a game that can be considered “realistic”. There are various games who use farming as a sort of sub-minigame. RPGs commonly make use of such an element. But again, there it’s far from realistic.

Farm Simulator is certainly something more realistic to consider. Outside of Farming Simulator 2013, you have 2008, 2009 and 2011 (source). Of course 2013 has the most features, but I don’t know how much they’re willing to spend on it. So in that way the earlier versions might be money saving. The Wikia page should get you quite informed in its features.

Wim Veen wrote:

Thanks, yes it is a weird place for this question, but it happens that I find what I am looking for in unexpected areas :)

That’s ok. It’s nice to see some variety in these forums. Beware though, the internet isn’t always filled with helpfulness. So take a wrong turn and you might end up getting insulted for no reason at all. It’s just one of the dangers of current day web culture.

Last edited May 26, 2013 at 11:13AM EDT
May 26, 2013 at 10:50AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!