Forums / Discussion / General

171,340 total conversations in 5,616 threads

+ New Thread


Cosplay General

Last posted May 29, 2013 at 11:00AM EDT. Added May 26, 2013 at 04:59PM EDT
29 posts from 14 users

Discuss cosplay in this thread.

Ok, so because of my newfound love for anime, Ive been thinking about cosplaying at music festivals. So, who here cosplays? Post pics and shit.

May 26, 2013 at 04:59PM EDT
Quote

I do quite alot of cosplay for money. Even won the best live-in-the-basment loser prize on my day off.. Wait

May 26, 2013 at 06:19PM EDT
Quote

I cosplay about twice a year or so. Usually as Link. Last year I went as Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia. Repost of the pic:

This year my plans are a bit shakey. I want to go as Jotaro but I don’t have the proper body type nor the muscle.

I might go as Reimu this year (last time I dressed as her was in private) if I can get a Marisa to go with me, and I was also thinking a Fire Emblem character like Soren. (I like to cosplay in pairs with people, but I am rapidly running out of potential buddies)

Last edited May 26, 2013 at 06:39PM EDT
May 26, 2013 at 06:30PM EDT
Quote

If there’s any Final Fantasy cosplayers here, I would like to know.

May 26, 2013 at 08:34PM EDT
Quote

I just did a Harley Quinn (sorta) cosplay for Anime Boston this past weekend. I actually thought it was really cute, but I sewed it a little too tight and it got really uncomfortable by the end of the day. I didn’t take any pictures, but I assure you I was god damn adorable.

Next year I plan on doing a Sasha Braus cosplay from Attack on Titan

May 26, 2013 at 08:49PM EDT
Quote

Asura, The Anti-Fun wrote:

@ crimson locks

so something like this

Yes, except I’m gonna try to get the sheaths too.

May 26, 2013 at 10:28PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Yes, except I’m gonna try to get the sheaths too.

first off: i wanted to cosplay as asura from soul eater. i can get the costume and wig for a good price.

i also was thinking about cosplaying as one of the guys from AOT for anime north for next year.

good news: there is a cosplay company that makes amazing cosplay versions of them. with detachable blades and everything.
heres a link
http://www.x-cosplay.com/attack-on-titan-shingeki-no-kyojin-cosplay-prop-three-dimensional-maneuver-gear-rittai-kido-sochi.htm

bad news: the price :(

May 26, 2013 at 10:56PM EDT
Quote

^ The link 404’d, dude.

Either way, I plan on making the pieces for the cosplay myself, because frankly I need to get better at sewing and making props and the only way to do that is keep making things!

May 26, 2013 at 11:33PM EDT
Quote

I wanna cosplay as Kamina. I don’t have the time to put it together for the next festival Im going to, so I’ll most likely do it later this year.
Personally, I see myself sticking to cosplaying as characters that are shirtless. They aren’t as complicated and time consuming to make and I feel I can pull it off just fine…

Ah yeah, I’m sexy
Seriously though, since I won’t be doing it next month, I’ll use that time to put on some more weight and cut a bit of fat I have.. I wanna look as good as can for the cosplay.
All I need is a yoko…..

May 27, 2013 at 12:23AM EDT
Quote

This year I’m going as the Scarecrow from Batman, the comic book one, to supanova. Ill post pics when its done.

May 27, 2013 at 02:49AM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

I know this was just a joke photo, but I suppose this is as good a time to bring up a discussion topic as any.

Do you think someone has to look a certain way in order to do a cosplay?

Generally I have met a lot of people in the cosplay community who say that, no, it doesn’t matter that much. But then when I talk to people outside of the community, I’ve seen a lot of people who think you need to be the same race/weight/boob size as the character you are cosplaying.

I’m pretty strongly sit on the side that it really doesn’t matter that much. Mainly because most people that cosplay do not do it professionally, they do it as a hobby. And in my book rule #1 of a hobby is that you can do whatever you want with it. That doesn’t mean that I think you shouldn’t try to lose the weight and/or gain the muscle to pull off, say, Yoko or Kamina, but I think some people put a little too much value on that sort of thing. I have heard a few too many stories of someone saying “I can’t cosplay this character cus I’m black” or “You can’t cosplay that character, you’re boobs aren’t big enough”. Obviously, it’s all about being comfortable in what you’re wearing. If you think you look awesome as the fat Yoko, then more power to you.

May 27, 2013 at 01:02PM EDT
Quote

@crimson locks

Hmm, Yes and no. Race and boob size don’t really matter, but when you are cosplaying as a character that shows a lot of skin(man or woman), then yeah, I think weight can matter. It certainly will affect how you look in a cosplay and how much you resemble the character. Since cosplay for most people is just for fun, if you feel comfortable with what your wearing, then it’s fine by me. I don’t really care what other people do, that’s not my problem. If the person cosplaying is happy with themselves, fine. As for me, I do consider body type to be pretty important, but that’s because I’m a fitness nut.

May 27, 2013 at 02:06PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

10/10 Best Cosplay

His cosplay is so fail that’s it win. Seriously, he even has an action figure.

May 27, 2013 at 02:20PM EDT
Quote

I think the next time I go to a convention, I’ll cosplay as Josuke Higashikata (Jojolion) mostly because some people say I look a little like him.

Honestly, I don’t see it. But if I’m going to be him, I am so doing this:

May 27, 2013 at 03:15PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

@crimson locks

Hmm, Yes and no. Race and boob size don’t really matter, but when you are cosplaying as a character that shows a lot of skin(man or woman), then yeah, I think weight can matter. It certainly will affect how you look in a cosplay and how much you resemble the character. Since cosplay for most people is just for fun, if you feel comfortable with what your wearing, then it’s fine by me. I don’t really care what other people do, that’s not my problem. If the person cosplaying is happy with themselves, fine. As for me, I do consider body type to be pretty important, but that’s because I’m a fitness nut.

Well when I talk about body type not mattering as much, I just mean you don’t have to look like a complete stick to cosplay Yoko if you happen to have a naturally thick waistline or chubby thighs, or if you’re cosplaying a tall character like Chad from Bleach you don’t necessarily have to be 6 feet tall. And yeah I can understand your point of view on the overweight issue because you’re a fitness nut, but I think one does not necessarily have to lose the weight to cosplay a character if they do not want to put in that extra effort. Cosplay making can sometimes be quite the difficult process (especially if there are intricate props involved and if the outfit is made from scratch) and so I do not blame someone for not wanting to put in those exercise hours on top of however many hours it will take to construct the cosplay.

May 27, 2013 at 05:53PM EDT
Quote

@Crimson locks
Thats pretty much my view on it. Just to be clear, I don’t think anybody needs to lose/gain weight to cosplay, that’s just what I think I need to do.

May 27, 2013 at 07:35PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

I wanna cosplay as Kamina. I don’t have the time to put it together for the next festival Im going to, so I’ll most likely do it later this year.
Personally, I see myself sticking to cosplaying as characters that are shirtless. They aren’t as complicated and time consuming to make and I feel I can pull it off just fine…

Ah yeah, I’m sexy
Seriously though, since I won’t be doing it next month, I’ll use that time to put on some more weight and cut a bit of fat I have.. I wanna look as good as can for the cosplay.
All I need is a yoko…..

if you wanna cosplay as a shirtless character. my suggestion would be gray fullbuster from fairy tail.

quite easy to pull off. just the hair, tattoo, and just the chain around his neck and your good to go.

May 27, 2013 at 07:51PM EDT
Quote

@asura
That would be an easy one. Two things though
1) can’t say I’ve seen fairy tail
2) unless you know him, I’d just look like a guy with no shirt.

May 28, 2013 at 12:33PM EDT
Quote

So, Dac, I’m curious as to how you’re planning on getting together your Kamina cosplay? Are you gonna make the pieces yourself or buy from a dealer?

May 28, 2013 at 12:37PM EDT
Quote

@crimson
I know some people who can put together easily. I rather have someone make it personally for me so I can make sure it fits perfectly.

May 28, 2013 at 12:46PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I dare someone to cosplay as a suicide bomber lmao.

May 29, 2013 at 05:34AM EDT

How about no. Two reasons
1)its insensitive
2) More importantly, I could get shot by police or beat to death by people thinking I’m really a bomber

May 29, 2013 at 11:00AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!