Forums / Discussion / General

171,028 total conversations in 5,491 threads

+ New Thread

Grumpy Cat is now a movie...

Last posted Jun 01, 2013 at 10:18PM EDT. Added May 30, 2013 at 11:52AM EDT
29 posts from 28 users

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/05/30/grumpy-cat-lands-film-deal/2371905/

Um…

May 30, 2013 at 11:52AM EDT

As much as I love Grumpy Cat, I can’t see a viable feature-length film about it.

May 30, 2013 at 01:20PM EDT

You never know guys, it might be like the Fred movies!

…never mind, it won’t be any good.

May 30, 2013 at 01:52PM EDT

Digoxin wrote:

Just one word:
Wat

^this

May 30, 2013 at 04:05PM EDT

“Grumpy Cat’s reps (manager Ben Lashes and rep Al Hassas) are teaming with Broken Road production company’s Todd Garner and Sean Robins “to produce and assemble a package for a Garfield-like feature film,” reports Deadline.com."

You know, because the Garfield movies were so well-received. *cough*

May 30, 2013 at 09:40PM EDT

This isn’t even the first time they made a movie out of a meme with absolutely no plot, procession or background to work on.

Remember the Angry Birds Movie? (which I think got canned)

Yea this is pretty much the same thing, except Angry Birds had a better premise than Grumpy Cat and that’s saying a lot

At this point they are just propagating internet icons in the hopes of getting people off the internet and back into the cinema’s that we abandoned long ago.

In the words of 4chan: this is cancer

Last edited May 30, 2013 at 11:01PM EDT
May 30, 2013 at 10:59PM EDT

It’s pretty obvious this is being made for the teenagers and college kids who think that “memes” are purely “funny pictures on the internet,” and not real members of the full-on internet. While that is better than having a “real” internet movie (the general public discovers 4chan, Reddit, and all the monsters that really inhabit this place,) it’s that much more likely to have a lot of terrible “me-me jokes XD” throughout the movie.

Anyone know what time this thing is expected to come out? (By that time maybe Grumpy Cat won’t even be that popular anymore…)

Last edited May 31, 2013 at 02:40AM EDT
May 31, 2013 at 02:39AM EDT

I guess Hollywood ran out of sequels and reboots to do, so now they have to suck the internet dry of ideas until it’s a shriveled up mummy--then they’ll pump out a bunch of sequels and then they’ll reboot ’em. No wonder the last movie I saw in theaters was Bolt, and that was at the dollar theater.

May 31, 2013 at 06:29AM EDT

Here’s to hoping that Tard will be the villain of the movie. But seeing as how it’s being marketed as the “Grumpy Cat Movie”, I have very low hopes.

May 31, 2013 at 01:04PM EDT

If Nic Cage does not have a role in this movie I quit reality.

May 31, 2013 at 01:52PM EDT

It’s not even worthy of a Youtube series. Why would they do this?

May 31, 2013 at 04:21PM EDT

They obviously haven’t seen Fred: The Movie.

May 31, 2013 at 05:22PM EDT

xTSGx wrote:

I guess Hollywood ran out of sequels and reboots to do, so now they have to suck the internet dry of ideas until it’s a shriveled up mummy--then they’ll pump out a bunch of sequels and then they’ll reboot ’em. No wonder the last movie I saw in theaters was Bolt, and that was at the dollar theater.

Are you suggesting the last movie worth seeing was bolt? I’ll admit that there are plenty stinkers, but there have been plenty excellent movies since Bolt.

About this movie though, sounds pretty stupid.

May 31, 2013 at 10:13PM EDT

Grumpy Cat was already being whored out within a week of the cat becoming popular, I’m honestly not surprised at this.
Still stupid as fuck. The meme hasn’t even been funny for awhile anyways.

Jun 01, 2013 at 08:27AM EDT

MDFification wrote:

If Nic Cage does not have a role in this movie I quit reality.

My mind has just been read.
Take me with you if you do

Jun 01, 2013 at 10:18PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!