Forums / Discussion / General

169,839 total conversations in 5,538 threads

+ New Thread


E3 2013 "Rape Joke" Article / E3 2013 "Rape Joke" General

Last posted Jun 15, 2013 at 06:40PM EDT. Added Jun 11, 2013 at 07:21PM EDT
42 posts from 19 users

In the aftermath of hearing about the E3 “Rape Joke”, I was scearching, for news of the reaction thus far of the “event”; I found these two articles.. http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/06/microsoft-e3-rape-joke/66092/

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/06/microsoft-employee-rape-joke-e3-response/66132/#dsq-content

Not only did I find both of these to be extremely offensive to me as a gamer; I also felt personaly insulted as a person. So much so, that I have actually e-mailed the author my own personal reaction/opinion on her publications; here is the letter.

>"Regarding both of your articles on the “E3 rape joke”; I must honestly say, you should be ashamed of yourself for publishing such disrespectful, insulting, misleading, overwhelmingly bias, over sensationalized, flat out ridiculous articles about a non-issue, in which the “victim” of said “rape joke” did not even take it that way, nor was it intended to. I send this to you because you have personally insulted me, as a person and as a gamer; making gross exaggerations and generalizations such as “Yes, gamers talk like this all the time.” in dark bold print no less. this is something that angers and offends me deeply. The insulting stereotyping of “gamers” in addition to making us seem like a group of rape joke making assholes who live in their parents basement. Gamers are better than this, and because you have misconstrued a simple case of trash talk to this extent, I honestly think you owe them an apology."

So, do you think I am in the right? Your opinion on the articles? Any other articles to share? Your opinion on the “rape joke” in general? Thread begins now. (feel free to post your honest opinions and reactions)

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:21PM EDT
Quote

Also, in the comments of the first article, look for “Riluu”, who currently has the highest rated comment.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:26PM EDT
Quote

That’s not a rape joke.
And you are a nostrilbag.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:29PM EDT

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

That’s not a rape joke.
And you are a nostrilbag.

Uh, yes it was.

Here’s a detailed explanation from The Atlantic as to why it is referencing rape:

One person trying to convince an unwilling person to have sex with them frequently tells the victim to “let it happen” and stay quiet -- it’s a common enough term that it’s often used alongside the “Rape Sloth” meme.

Even though the woman it was directed towards was okay with it doesn’t make it an okay thing to have happened on a national stage in front of a ton of people / broadcast online to even more.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

I have a feeling any references to rape were added subconsciously by the man who wrote/made the joke; that being said, it was an absolutely moronic move anyway, and it emphasizes the fact that MS does not understand the people it’s selling to. They’ve obviously generalized everyone that owns an Xbox as an idiotic Dudebro who only plays CoD and Madden who will instantly buy their own copy of whatever game they want and never share, and completely ignored the fact that, hey, women actually do play video games. And I mean actually play, not just get up on a stage at a conference to let the real experts put them in their place.

Sidenote: my favorite part of the conference was when people started booing when they announced the prices BD

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:36PM EDT
Quote

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

That’s not a rape joke.
And you are a nostrilbag.

This is a correct statement, although the second line may have been unnecessary.

The comments made during the presentation could have been in the context of any confrontation (such as a fight), and some certain people are choosing to interpret it as a direct reference to rape. Those people are free to interpret it however they wish, but they do not have the authority or logical reasoning to incriminate the speaker. This is one of the many occasions in which people feel a bit more entitled than they should.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:55PM EDT

I may be inviting myself to something I’m not wanted o.o but I’m learned in necromancy for the explicit preparation of getting shot down. HOWEVER as a disclaimer, before I proceed I want to state; I do not condone rape, nor do I think it is something that is ‘normal’ and believe rapists should be tried, convicted and punished appropriately.

I’d like to know why it is so offensive. And I mean explicitly why, not just “rape is bad” (I think that’s a given, but that doesn’t tell me why rape jokes are bad, much like other jokes are about ’bad stuff" but are not offensive). Is it:

1. Because the joke is about something horrible?
We tell a lot of jokes that spin off or utilize atrocities into something comic (i.e. genocide, suicide, homicide, racism, etc.). I don’t hear an overwhelming “neigh” to these other jokes, which are also about horrible situations. When people read A Modest Proposal I don’t think most people go “How horrible that this man would suggest we eat babies!!” despite the famine being a truly grueling time for Ireland.

2. Because the joke will “normalize” behavior?
If so, my Jewish friends better look out, cuz I posted a Holocaust joke on page the other day. But in all seriousness, telling jokes about rape will in no way normalize rape “behavior” than a joke holocaust will stimulate listeners to bring on Holocaust 2.0 or think that the Holocaust was a good/okay thing. Or any other joke about something will promote people to go out and “do” what it is the joke was about.

3. Because the joke is a rape threat?
No.

Other than that, the only reason I could think of is it’s not in someone’s [personal] humor, which if so, I say fuck em (aha, I made a funny, you see? :D). All joking aside, you are entitled to your own humor, but it shouldn’t dictate other peoples (much like opinions--I know, free speech, whatabitch!)

But, I’d honestly like to get to the root of why people who think it is horrendous think that. Though, I’m prepared for the plethora of down-votes for challenging views x.x

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:45PM EDT
Quote

amanda b. wrote:

Uh, yes it was.

Here’s a detailed explanation from The Atlantic as to why it is referencing rape:

One person trying to convince an unwilling person to have sex with them frequently tells the victim to “let it happen” and stay quiet -- it’s a common enough term that it’s often used alongside the “Rape Sloth” meme.

Even though the woman it was directed towards was okay with it doesn’t make it an okay thing to have happened on a national stage in front of a ton of people / broadcast online to even more.

As Pen said, this exchange could’ve happened in many contexts,
This context was in a game, in which the girl was losing. It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to say.
And nobody complained when the female speaker at the Ubisoft conference made rude sexual jokes.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:55PM EDT

Kyntak wrote:

I may be inviting myself to something I’m not wanted o.o but I’m learned in necromancy for the explicit preparation of getting shot down. HOWEVER as a disclaimer, before I proceed I want to state; I do not condone rape, nor do I think it is something that is ‘normal’ and believe rapists should be tried, convicted and punished appropriately.

I’d like to know why it is so offensive. And I mean explicitly why, not just “rape is bad” (I think that’s a given, but that doesn’t tell me why rape jokes are bad, much like other jokes are about ’bad stuff" but are not offensive). Is it:

1. Because the joke is about something horrible?
We tell a lot of jokes that spin off or utilize atrocities into something comic (i.e. genocide, suicide, homicide, racism, etc.). I don’t hear an overwhelming “neigh” to these other jokes, which are also about horrible situations. When people read A Modest Proposal I don’t think most people go “How horrible that this man would suggest we eat babies!!” despite the famine being a truly grueling time for Ireland.

2. Because the joke will “normalize” behavior?
If so, my Jewish friends better look out, cuz I posted a Holocaust joke on page the other day. But in all seriousness, telling jokes about rape will in no way normalize rape “behavior” than a joke holocaust will stimulate listeners to bring on Holocaust 2.0 or think that the Holocaust was a good/okay thing. Or any other joke about something will promote people to go out and “do” what it is the joke was about.

3. Because the joke is a rape threat?
No.

Other than that, the only reason I could think of is it’s not in someone’s [personal] humor, which if so, I say fuck em (aha, I made a funny, you see? :D). All joking aside, you are entitled to your own humor, but it shouldn’t dictate other peoples (much like opinions--I know, free speech, whatabitch!)

But, I’d honestly like to get to the root of why people who think it is horrendous think that. Though, I’m prepared for the plethora of down-votes for challenging views x.x

No it’s perfectly fine; the whole point of me starting the “E3 Rape Joke” thread, was for people on the site to have a place to put down their opinions on the “event” as well as start up discussion about it.
Esentaily, for stating your own personal views as well as opening your own area of discussion for the thread, you probabaly won’t (or at least should’nt) get downvotted into oblivion.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:59PM EDT
Quote

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

As Pen said, this exchange could’ve happened in many contexts,
This context was in a game, in which the girl was losing. It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to say.
And nobody complained when the female speaker at the Ubisoft conference made rude sexual jokes.

This is exactly what I was thinking, due to the context and how it was said- to me this seems more like you’re typical videogame trash talk, and not a overt “rape joke”.

-On a second note, that’s also why I hated the article. As it is written in a way that seems to state that it was an intentional “rape joke”. Even sighting KYM, case in point excerpt:

>“Yes, this is a rape joke. Many who picked up on the Xbox exchange, including commenters on an early story at The Atlantic Wire, still failed to see how the main phrase in question -- Just let it happen -- constitutes a rape reference. “Cannot see how this I was rape joke. I do believe you are reading way too much into this,” wrote one of our commenters, Mighty Viking Hamster. Allow us to explain: One person trying to convince an unwilling person to have sex with them frequently tells the victim to “let it happen” and stay quiet -- it’s a common enough term that it’s often used alongside the “Rape Sloth” meme. That reference, re-blogged again and again, features captions that often contain “alarming threats that are meant to disturb the reader,” according to Know Your Meme, “on a similar vein to the Prepare Your Anus and You Gonna Get Raped image macros.” In other words: it’s linguistic sexual harassment put next to pictures. Here are some other classics from the sickening sloth meme, including “you better stay quiet you slut.” ".<

Yet it fails to mention that due to the context that it is being used (NOT taken seriously) it losses all of it’s “threat” and becomes a simple joke. Hell, many girls at my school use phrases like “You gonna get raped” or “There are no breaks on the rape train”.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:12PM EDT
Quote

thegreato wrote:

No it’s perfectly fine; the whole point of me starting the “E3 Rape Joke” thread, was for people on the site to have a place to put down their opinions on the “event” as well as start up discussion about it.
Esentaily, for stating your own personal views as well as opening your own area of discussion for the thread, you probabaly won’t (or at least should’nt) get downvotted into oblivion

Ah, good :3
But still, I’m am always prepared for stark (if not sometimes, malicious) criticism. I can be fairly apathetic, and that sometimes comes across as sheer cruelty. But I do mean no offense, I’m just inquisitive x.x probably too inquisitive.

Last edited Jun 11, 2013 at 10:19PM EDT
Jun 11, 2013 at 10:17PM EDT
Quote

There is an obviously line between fantasy and actually raping someone.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:17PM EDT

While the articles were extremely biased and the writer went full-retard at some points, the author is not completely wrong, either.

Yes, this is a joke that can hold many different contexts, but it is most commonly used in the context of rape, and therefore appropriate to call a “rape joke” in my eyes. These kinds of jokes are usually pretty ok in my eyes. But there is a huge difference between using the phrase in trashtalk on Xbox or using it in a silly macro and saying it in one of the biggest video game conferences in the country in front of thousands of audience members and the entire video game community online. This is not helped by the fact that Microsoft has already been on thin ice with the announcement for the Xbox One. While the banter that took place during the event was unscripted, Microsoft basically inadvertently stated that all their male gamers are trashtalkers with the mentality of a perverted 12 year old and all their female gamers can’t play games. I would actually like to know if the actually gameplay that took place was scripted or not.

Further more, it’s nice that the woman who was the “victim” of the joke did not take offense to it (whether she claimed to not take offense to save face or because she actually didn’t take offense is up to debate) because it shows that she doesn’t take herself too seriously, but I fear it has the underlying consequence of telling those Xbox gamers (and gamers in general) that do make sexist jokes and rape jokes even worse than the one said in the conference that it is ok to make horrible jokes and sometimes even verbally harass female gamers (and male gamers alike) and those that complain are just whiny people that can’t take a joke.

The writer of the articles made the unfair and gross assumption that all gamers are sexist pigs, but she was not wrong in saying that the gaming world (both in it’s gamers and games) is one of the most sexist communities out there. Indication of that is by the fact that the woman in the conference made a light hearted tweet that she was happy to be one of the two women on stage during the Microsoft conference at E3, and she got threats by users on twitter to “stop pushing your feminist agenda on our games”. What the hell is with that? There is still an overwhelming number of gamers who feel that women are “invading their games” and whenever a woman makes a complaint about the gaming community, whether it be the overwhelming number of male protagonists and “male oriented” games or the amount of harassment they receive just for being female, they get told that they’re too sensitive and they need to stop bitching. Things like this are not ok, and yet so many people see it as not a problem at all. That’s why some people feel the need to make a big deal about a supposedly silly thing such as this.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:12PM EDT
Quote

@Crimson

I would actually like to know if the actually gameplay that took place was scripted or not.

The game was planned but I don’t think one player was rigged to lose. I believe the dialog was entirely unscripted

Further more, it’s nice that the woman who was the “victim” of the joke did not take offense to it

Props to her. She acted how anyone should have in the face of crude, yet unintentionally harmful and easily dismissible offhand comments

The writer of the articles made the unfair and gross assumption that all gamers are sexist pigs, but she was not wrong in saying that the gaming world (both in it’s gamers and games) is one of the most sexist communities out there. Indication of that is by the fact that the woman in the conference made a light hearted tweet that she was happy to be one of the two women on stage during the Microsoft conference at E3, and she got threats by users on twitter to “stop pushing your feminist agenda on our games”.

Perfectly accurate assertion. I’ve been playing games my whole life and yet virtually all of my closest friends are girls, I treat women as equals. But I’m a minority. Sexism is pretty rampant in gaming thanks to gaming being a “boys toy” in it’s early roots and it’s population with pre-pubescent players who have had scarce any female contact and have no understanding of them.

Some gamers are terrified of feminists due their only impression of feminism coming from those male-hating fem-superiority warriors you hear about. They think those same warriors are going to take away what they consider “a male domain”

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:51PM EDT
Quote

Kyntak wrote:

I may be inviting myself to something I’m not wanted o.o but I’m learned in necromancy for the explicit preparation of getting shot down. HOWEVER as a disclaimer, before I proceed I want to state; I do not condone rape, nor do I think it is something that is ‘normal’ and believe rapists should be tried, convicted and punished appropriately.

I’d like to know why it is so offensive. And I mean explicitly why, not just “rape is bad” (I think that’s a given, but that doesn’t tell me why rape jokes are bad, much like other jokes are about ’bad stuff" but are not offensive). Is it:

1. Because the joke is about something horrible?
We tell a lot of jokes that spin off or utilize atrocities into something comic (i.e. genocide, suicide, homicide, racism, etc.). I don’t hear an overwhelming “neigh” to these other jokes, which are also about horrible situations. When people read A Modest Proposal I don’t think most people go “How horrible that this man would suggest we eat babies!!” despite the famine being a truly grueling time for Ireland.

2. Because the joke will “normalize” behavior?
If so, my Jewish friends better look out, cuz I posted a Holocaust joke on page the other day. But in all seriousness, telling jokes about rape will in no way normalize rape “behavior” than a joke holocaust will stimulate listeners to bring on Holocaust 2.0 or think that the Holocaust was a good/okay thing. Or any other joke about something will promote people to go out and “do” what it is the joke was about.

3. Because the joke is a rape threat?
No.

Other than that, the only reason I could think of is it’s not in someone’s [personal] humor, which if so, I say fuck em (aha, I made a funny, you see? :D). All joking aside, you are entitled to your own humor, but it shouldn’t dictate other peoples (much like opinions--I know, free speech, whatabitch!)

But, I’d honestly like to get to the root of why people who think it is horrendous think that. Though, I’m prepared for the plethora of down-votes for challenging views x.x

I just want to point out that technically Necromancy is communication with the dead and wouldn’t help you if you were shot.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:26AM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

While the articles were extremely biased and the writer went full-retard at some points, the author is not completely wrong, either.

Yes, this is a joke that can hold many different contexts, but it is most commonly used in the context of rape, and therefore appropriate to call a “rape joke” in my eyes. These kinds of jokes are usually pretty ok in my eyes. But there is a huge difference between using the phrase in trashtalk on Xbox or using it in a silly macro and saying it in one of the biggest video game conferences in the country in front of thousands of audience members and the entire video game community online. This is not helped by the fact that Microsoft has already been on thin ice with the announcement for the Xbox One. While the banter that took place during the event was unscripted, Microsoft basically inadvertently stated that all their male gamers are trashtalkers with the mentality of a perverted 12 year old and all their female gamers can’t play games. I would actually like to know if the actually gameplay that took place was scripted or not.

Further more, it’s nice that the woman who was the “victim” of the joke did not take offense to it (whether she claimed to not take offense to save face or because she actually didn’t take offense is up to debate) because it shows that she doesn’t take herself too seriously, but I fear it has the underlying consequence of telling those Xbox gamers (and gamers in general) that do make sexist jokes and rape jokes even worse than the one said in the conference that it is ok to make horrible jokes and sometimes even verbally harass female gamers (and male gamers alike) and those that complain are just whiny people that can’t take a joke.

The writer of the articles made the unfair and gross assumption that all gamers are sexist pigs, but she was not wrong in saying that the gaming world (both in it’s gamers and games) is one of the most sexist communities out there. Indication of that is by the fact that the woman in the conference made a light hearted tweet that she was happy to be one of the two women on stage during the Microsoft conference at E3, and she got threats by users on twitter to “stop pushing your feminist agenda on our games”. What the hell is with that? There is still an overwhelming number of gamers who feel that women are “invading their games” and whenever a woman makes a complaint about the gaming community, whether it be the overwhelming number of male protagonists and “male oriented” games or the amount of harassment they receive just for being female, they get told that they’re too sensitive and they need to stop bitching. Things like this are not ok, and yet so many people see it as not a problem at all. That’s why some people feel the need to make a big deal about a supposedly silly thing such as this.

Now this is what i’m talking about! :D I honestly think that someone like you should have written that article, because you just pointed out the second main reason as to why I hated those two articles; while stating you’re own reasonable opinion.

As you have already guessed it, both articles- though bringing up some valid points- ultimately destroy them completely by going off on incredibly bias rants as well as some stellar full retard moments; where, among other things suggest that all gamers are sexist immature manchildren as well as that the “Rape Joke” was completely intentional. Of corse this sounds like complete nonsense, because it is; though the scary thing is some people believe her. For instance, take this short thread of comments from the first article. (# of upvotes [#^] # of downvotes [v#])

>Riluu • 9 hours ago −
I love the fact that despite the fact that tons of us are seeing this as a blatant rape joke, we’re getting told that it’s not. That we’re overreacting. Which is what we hear EVERY SINGLE TIME something gross like this happens and we try to point out how gross it is.

I love gaming, but gamers are an absolutely disgusting, abhorrent group of people in general. It’s nearly impossible to find a place for yourself in the gaming community where you know you won’t be subjected to constant ‘get in the kitchen’ jokes, and then be told you’re ‘overreacting’ when you tell them how not funny they are.

Nothing will change, at this rate. Absolutely nothing. 82^ 2v

(response)
John Meyers Riluu • 7 hours ago −
Guys like to joke. Give it right back to them. You’re not hurting anyone but yourself when you take this stuff personally 6^ 11v

(response)
Riluu John Meyers • 7 hours ago −
Perhaps if guys jokes were actually funny, I would be more amicable to do that. Instead I’m surrounded by guys who grew up under the “if he teases you, he likes you” baloney, which unfortunately most men never realize is hogwash and just makes you look like a buffoon. If the jokes are funny, I give right back. If the jokes are unintelligent misogynist hogwash, I’ll call you out on that shite.
35^ 1v <

After reading that for the first time I honestly wanted to punch my monitor, and i’m certain others did too. Though to tie it all up, I think some of the actual backlash in gaming when it comes to what you’re talking about may be a result of things like this. When a group of people make a whole lotta noise and then the dominos of idiots begin to fall (as seen in the comments). And potentially to any uninformed gamers this may seem like the face of the opposition and unfortunately they push back with much more force than they need to.

Anyone else agree or think along the same lines?

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:44AM EDT
Quote

Kyntak wrote:

I may be inviting myself to something I’m not wanted o.o but I’m learned in necromancy for the explicit preparation of getting shot down. HOWEVER as a disclaimer, before I proceed I want to state; I do not condone rape, nor do I think it is something that is ‘normal’ and believe rapists should be tried, convicted and punished appropriately.

I’d like to know why it is so offensive. And I mean explicitly why, not just “rape is bad” (I think that’s a given, but that doesn’t tell me why rape jokes are bad, much like other jokes are about ’bad stuff" but are not offensive). Is it:

1. Because the joke is about something horrible?
We tell a lot of jokes that spin off or utilize atrocities into something comic (i.e. genocide, suicide, homicide, racism, etc.). I don’t hear an overwhelming “neigh” to these other jokes, which are also about horrible situations. When people read A Modest Proposal I don’t think most people go “How horrible that this man would suggest we eat babies!!” despite the famine being a truly grueling time for Ireland.

2. Because the joke will “normalize” behavior?
If so, my Jewish friends better look out, cuz I posted a Holocaust joke on page the other day. But in all seriousness, telling jokes about rape will in no way normalize rape “behavior” than a joke holocaust will stimulate listeners to bring on Holocaust 2.0 or think that the Holocaust was a good/okay thing. Or any other joke about something will promote people to go out and “do” what it is the joke was about.

3. Because the joke is a rape threat?
No.

Other than that, the only reason I could think of is it’s not in someone’s [personal] humor, which if so, I say fuck em (aha, I made a funny, you see? :D). All joking aside, you are entitled to your own humor, but it shouldn’t dictate other peoples (much like opinions--I know, free speech, whatabitch!)

But, I’d honestly like to get to the root of why people who think it is horrendous think that. Though, I’m prepared for the plethora of down-votes for challenging views x.x

I would have to say that “why rape jokes are bad” fits in to number 1, but it goes beyond just “it’s about a horrible subject”. I think the one thing about rape jokes that make people so sensitive is that they usually make the rape victim the butt of the joke. Holocaust joke? We usually make fun of the Nazis. Racism? Well, we usually make fun of racial stereotypes that aren’t all that harmful to the race in question (Example: jokes about black people liking fried chicken). Homicide? Usually make fun of the sanity of the murderer in question. Suicide? Well, I don’t really find suicide jokes very funny so I’m going to ignore that one. Meanwhile, most rape jokes we hear directly make the victim of rape the punchline, and that can feel like a real punch to the gut for a lot of people. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but I’m making examples of what is usually “the norm” in offensive jokes.

Number 2: While I don’t think rape jokes will “normalize” the action of raping someone, I do think jokes like these in a way normalize the behavior of verbally sexually harassing people, and shaming rape victims. Right now, in the western world, we do not live with the threat of an entire race of people being wiped out by another race that thinks it’s superior. Genocide is practically nonexistent in this part of the world, and so there is very little chance that a joke about a genocide will cause one to occur. But how does the western world handle rape? Well, there are plenty of cases of a person being raped, reporting it, getting help, and bringing the assaulter to justice. But there are also plenty of cases of the victims getting publicly shamed by their peers, called liars, whores, sluts, and even getting expelled for making completely legitimate rape claims. There are many victims who do not report being raped because they fear being publicly humiliated. Not only that, but a lot of rapists get away or get sentences that do not nearly compensate for the crime. In a way, making a rape joke at a victim’s expense could subconsciously make a person think “it’s ok to make fun of a real life rape victim”. Behavior becoming normalized from a joke is much more complicated than “Oh, I made a holocaust joke and caused the next genocide”

Number 3: While the joke that this thread is about is certainly not a threat of rape, that does not mean that no rape joke is. In my days I have seen plenty of rape jokes made that could be seen as direct threats to the person the joke is being told about/to.


@TheGreato: As BSOD said, a lot of the backlash that feminists get from gamers (at least in the case of Xbox gamers) is most likely from the fact that a lot of the demographic is preteen/early teen boys who have probably not had that much contact with other girls, let alone feminism, and the only examples of feminism they have seen is the extremists such as the author of this article.

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 01:02AM EDT
Jun 12, 2013 at 12:57AM EDT
Quote

I don’t understand why this is a big deal. They’re just people casually cracking jokes. If she wasn’t offended by it, then why should it cause such a big shitstorm? she’s obviously got the same sense of humor and doesn’t give a flying fuck about it. Jokes can be funny when the deliverer of the joke as well as the receiver (Not going to say ‘victim’ because that’s just stupid) of the joke think it’s funny and she was okay with it. Nobody else was told to care about it.

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 01:50AM EDT
Jun 12, 2013 at 01:45AM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

I would have to say that “why rape jokes are bad” fits in to number 1, but it goes beyond just “it’s about a horrible subject”. I think the one thing about rape jokes that make people so sensitive is that they usually make the rape victim the butt of the joke. Holocaust joke? We usually make fun of the Nazis. Racism? Well, we usually make fun of racial stereotypes that aren’t all that harmful to the race in question (Example: jokes about black people liking fried chicken). Homicide? Usually make fun of the sanity of the murderer in question. Suicide? Well, I don’t really find suicide jokes very funny so I’m going to ignore that one. Meanwhile, most rape jokes we hear directly make the victim of rape the punchline, and that can feel like a real punch to the gut for a lot of people. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but I’m making examples of what is usually “the norm” in offensive jokes.

Uhm. Not sure what kinda jokes you hear/tell but Holocaust jokes are often more times about the Jews than Nazi’s (What’s the difference between a pizza and a Jew? Pizzas don’t scream when you put them in the oven?), at least, the ones I’ve seen. In which case, we turn a bad scenario that we would normally cringe at into something we can chuckle at because of the absurdity. It in no way dismisses that jews were persecuted or suffered, it just makes the ordeal something we can have a laugh about instead of wanting to hang ourselves from the bleakness of it, much like my example of A Modest Proposal. And racial jokes may not be based on something violent, but can be reminiscent of atrocities they have gone through (i.e. slavery: “I was so excited to hear that slaves are free now! My last one cost a fortune!” ), but that doesn’t mean they support it, in fact, most don’t. And the same is true for most rape jokes.

Number 2: While I don’t think rape jokes will “normalize” the action of raping someone, I do think jokes like these in a way normalize the behavior of verbally sexually harassing people, and shaming rape victims. Right now, in the western world, we do not live with the threat of an entire race of people being wiped out by another race that thinks it’s superior. Genocide is practically nonexistent in this part of the world, and so there is very little chance that a joke about a genocide will cause one to occur. But how does the western world handle rape? Well, there are plenty of cases of a person being raped, reporting it, getting help, and bringing the assaulter to justice. But there are also plenty of cases of the victims getting publicly shamed by their peers, called liars, whores, sluts, and even getting expelled for making completely legitimate rape claims. There are many victims who do not report being raped because they fear being publicly humiliated. Not only that, but a lot of rapists get away or get sentences that do not nearly compensate for the crime. In a way, making a rape joke at a victim’s expense could subconsciously make a person think “it’s ok to make fun of a real life rape victim”. Behavior becoming normalized from a joke is much more complicated than “Oh, I made a holocaust joke and caused the next genocide”

Hmm, I’d disagree somewhat. In the US, a lot of the deep south is still quite homophobic, so much so your sexual identity could mean life, or death (and don’t get me started on transsexuals). But, that aside. I would argue that making rape so taboo a word you can’t even joke about it, would drive them even more into feeling isolated (fear of a name…). I think that it’s better to be able to laugh at something them be paralyzed from it, and a joke like this, shouldn’t be taken personally. It wasn’t directed at any particular victim. If it was aimed at someone personally, then yes, you cross the line of joking to abusive/harassment.
And, as far as normalizing behavior, I’d ask for evidence before any assertion (to my knowledge, there’s not been any proof/case study that substantiates the claim that jokes, indeed, subconsciously steer us. At least, with enough significance to make a difference in behavior.)

Number 3: While the joke that this thread is about is certainly not a threat of rape, that does not mean that no rape joke is. In my days I have seen plenty of rape jokes made that could be seen as direct threats to the person the joke is being told about/to.

This is true, but there is a difference, as I pointed out earlier, between generic jokes and personal ones that are targeting a specific person.

Also, kudos for the gender neutrality, you used ‘victims’ (though, I prefer the word ‘Survivors’) instead of ‘women’ when addressing rape. I was certain the first person to respond would present rape as a ‘womens issue’. Which I had a whole can of worms ready for. Phooie >.<

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 02:16AM EDT
Jun 12, 2013 at 02:15AM EDT
Quote

Getting raped in a vidya game isn’t sexist here is a Girl Gamer that says she gets raped
Usually it’s the guys who talk the most shit that gets raped the hardest.
If you can stand watching this whole vid this is typical of a n00b rape

And I don’t even know how many tiems I’ve been fucked in the ass while playing EA sports

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 07:12AM EDT
Jun 12, 2013 at 06:58AM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

I have a feeling any references to rape were added subconsciously by the man who wrote/made the joke; that being said, it was an absolutely moronic move anyway, and it emphasizes the fact that MS does not understand the people it’s selling to. They’ve obviously generalized everyone that owns an Xbox as an idiotic Dudebro who only plays CoD and Madden who will instantly buy their own copy of whatever game they want and never share, and completely ignored the fact that, hey, women actually do play video games. And I mean actually play, not just get up on a stage at a conference to let the real experts put them in their place.

Sidenote: my favorite part of the conference was when people started booing when they announced the prices BD

As of right now 1/3 gamers is female. In general, bad move. I sense that for once we’re going to go beyond the moronic microsoft v. nintendo fanboy warfare and move to sony v. nintendo.

Anyway as to the reaction to the joke;

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 07:41AM EDT
Jun 12, 2013 at 07:40AM EDT
Quote

@Vazquez

Getting raped in a vidya game isn’t sexist

Well…not to gamers it isn’t.

It’s just another slang term in the internet dictionary to us. Just as the vivid bloodshed and murder going on in video games is not to be taken seriously, neither is anyone talking about rape.

But the people who are complaining are not gamers.

Isn’t it always people from outside of a culture, lacking a single clue of what they are talking about who are getting upset over things they don’t understand?

Those complaining do not understand that context that gamers live in. From the outside, people see the word ‘rape’ and take it as seriously as they would in any other context.

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 08:33AM EDT
Jun 12, 2013 at 08:32AM EDT
Quote

Bat Pug wrote:

There is an obviously line between fantasy and actually raping someone.

No there isn’t! When you say jokes like that, you make rape ok, and people start raping! RAPE!
/sarcasm
Seriously, I don’t even care anymore. I can’t stand the news overblowing every inconsequential thing and people with nothing better to do continuing the bitch fest.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:18AM EDT
Quote

TL;DR everything:

just go about your ways and ignore the people who are offended by it

….what exactly are they gonna do…
….be heard?

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 02:24PM EDT
Jun 12, 2013 at 02:24PM EDT
Quote

People really need to stop being offended at everything. It’s getting to the point where you can’t say anything without someone getting butthurt over it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:03PM EDT
Quote

Top 10 list of things that don’t offend people:

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

Jun 12, 2013 at 05:31PM EDT
Quote

MDFification wrote:

As of right now 1/3 gamers is female. In general, bad move. I sense that for once we’re going to go beyond the moronic microsoft v. nintendo fanboy warfare and move to sony v. nintendo.

Anyway as to the reaction to the joke;

>1/3
And what is it if we don’t include farmville?

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:54PM EDT

I honestly feel bad for the guy who said the “rape joke”. Imagine one day, saying something completely harmless and with no ill intent to a person who does not take offense to it in any way shape or form. Only to have yourself be accused of making a rape joke and being a mysoginist the next day.

Jun 12, 2013 at 06:57PM EDT
Quote

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

>1/3
And what is it if we don’t include farmville?

1/3 is including consoles and non-web based games. If you include web based games and phones, it’s actually over 45%.

Almost as if half the population was half the population of gamers.

I’m just a gamer guy XD

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:18PM EDT
Quote

thegreato wrote:

I honestly feel bad for the guy who said the “rape joke”. Imagine one day, saying something completely harmless and with no ill intent to a person who does not take offense to it in any way shape or form. Only to have yourself be accused of making a rape joke and being a mysoginist the next day.

I would also have sympathy for the guy if he didn’t have the lack of foresight to not make jokes like that in front of such a big event when you’re representing a large company. I can not make an opinion about the man himself. He could be a total doucher who constantly makes sexist and misogynistic remarks in the workplace, or he could be a genuinely funny, nice guy who made a misstep in his judgement when he made the joke. Either way, I think what the guy said was a poor move on his part. Especially in a world where the smallest remark that goes public can get you fired. I do feel bad for him being so harshly judged as a person, but captain hindsight is a bitch.

Jun 12, 2013 at 07:24PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

I would also have sympathy for the guy if he didn’t have the lack of foresight to not make jokes like that in front of such a big event when you’re representing a large company. I can not make an opinion about the man himself. He could be a total doucher who constantly makes sexist and misogynistic remarks in the workplace, or he could be a genuinely funny, nice guy who made a misstep in his judgement when he made the joke. Either way, I think what the guy said was a poor move on his part. Especially in a world where the smallest remark that goes public can get you fired. I do feel bad for him being so harshly judged as a person, but captain hindsight is a bitch.

True :/
Not saying he shouldnt have thought out what he was going to say; but honestly I would hate to see a repeat of the “dongle incident” and he is fired for what he said.

Jun 13, 2013 at 04:41AM EDT
Quote

thegreato wrote:

True :/
Not saying he shouldnt have thought out what he was going to say; but honestly I would hate to see a repeat of the “dongle incident” and he is fired for what he said.

What he said is a lot worse than the Dongle incident. I’d probably be ok with them firing him.

Jun 13, 2013 at 07:41AM EDT
Quote

MDFification wrote:

What he said is a lot worse than the Dongle incident. I’d probably be ok with them firing him.

I personally find this to be way way to harsh. Something like this- to me – seems like an akaward incident with a few poorly chosen words simply due to the fact that it was a woman on the other end and in front of a large group of people. The idea of firing him over something that at best, could be interpreted as sexism/ a “rape joke”, is (no offense) absurd to me.

P.S: Also, as you may have gussed; I am usually very forgiving in the cases of “hindsight” such as this. Generally when it’s something small (ie, typical gamer banter) that causes an uproar like this.

Jun 13, 2013 at 03:01PM EDT
Quote

thegreato wrote:

I personally find this to be way way to harsh. Something like this- to me – seems like an akaward incident with a few poorly chosen words simply due to the fact that it was a woman on the other end and in front of a large group of people. The idea of firing him over something that at best, could be interpreted as sexism/ a “rape joke”, is (no offense) absurd to me.

P.S: Also, as you may have gussed; I am usually very forgiving in the cases of “hindsight” such as this. Generally when it’s something small (ie, typical gamer banter) that causes an uproar like this.

I wouldn’t fire him for the joke. I’d fire him because he clearly doesn’t understand that one doesn’t make controversial jokes in a public presentation.

The dongles guys were just talking amongst themselves. This guy went up in front of a crowd of people and risked offending them. He’s clearly not the kind of guy you want to rest your PR on.
Not a case of “Rape jokes are never funny, this man should be publically shamed”, but a case of “this guy is just bad at his job”.

Jun 13, 2013 at 05:45PM EDT
Quote

So… allow me to play devil’s advocate for a bit.

How sure are we that he meant this as a rape joke? What if he was simply asking her to accept her fate of defeat? What if he just worded it so poorly, as people speaking publicly have been known to do?

Jun 13, 2013 at 09:26PM EDT
Quote

MDFification wrote:

I wouldn’t fire him for the joke. I’d fire him because he clearly doesn’t understand that one doesn’t make controversial jokes in a public presentation.

The dongles guys were just talking amongst themselves. This guy went up in front of a crowd of people and risked offending them. He’s clearly not the kind of guy you want to rest your PR on.
Not a case of “Rape jokes are never funny, this man should be publically shamed”, but a case of “this guy is just bad at his job”.

Oh, I see. That does make sense.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:51PM EDT
Quote

im friends with 2 women that got raped in the hood (mostly in south central) and all of you pasty ass gated bitches are worried about a joke? god damn nigga.

Jun 14, 2013 at 01:33AM EDT

Rollin' G wrote:

im friends with 2 women that got raped in the hood (mostly in south central) and all of you pasty ass gated bitches are worried about a joke? god damn nigga.

Yeah South Africa is bad.

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:29AM EDT

Bat Pug wrote:

Yeah South Africa is bad.

thats racist

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:52PM EDT

I’ll go ahead and put my two cents worth in since I can rarely keep my nose out of these things. I’m feeling too tired to read through the whole thread at the moment, so I’ll probably repeat things that have been said.

I think it was a rape joke, but nonetheless, people should lighten up, including OP. Do gamers talk like that all the time? Yes, some of them, and it’s precisely for this reason that it seems silly to be as upset as just about anybody is being, whether it’s those pointing fingers saying “misogynist rape joke!” or those pointing back.

If both the players had been male, I think there would have been less of a backlash (although as Jerry Lewis didn’t point out, anything could offend someone) because people would have seen it for what it was intended to be: casual trash-talk. Still, while I think people shouldn’t have been as offended as they were, that doesn’t mean it’s right. However common such trash talk may be, it shouldn’t be surprising that a rape joke would offend. The guy should have chosen his words more wisely at a public event, and for that matter, trash talk like that really isn’t classy in any context.

In my freshman year of college, my inner social circle wasn’t gamers, but we did a lot of trash-talking of each other. One of the people in that circle was a young woman who would often urge us to “just treat her like one of the guys”, but if someone trash-talked her, she would accuse us of being mean to her. I’m not sure why I bring it up other than to say that I commend the girl gamer who was the target of the trash talking for not being offended. I think gamers have to have pretty thick skin, even setting trash-talk aside.

Jun 14, 2013 at 06:18PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!