Forums / Media / Video Games

38,596 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Super Smash Bros General

Last posted Dec 13, 2018 at 06:55PM EST. Added Jun 12, 2013 at 05:26PM EDT
1074 posts from 143 users

Ann Hiro wrote:

All we need now is for Captain Falcon to return.

I think it's quite redundant to hope for Captain Falcon.
He's part of the series since the first episode and will surely return. Maybe together Samurai Goroh as a playable character,

Hypercat-Z wrote:

I think it's quite redundant to hope for Captain Falcon.
He's part of the series since the first episode and will surely return. Maybe together Samurai Goroh as a playable character,

We actually do need more F-Zero characters.
Like Baba

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 05:57PM EDT

So, one character everyone wanted, a character no one wanted but some may have expected and one that was entirely unexpected, oh god Nintendo, you are amazing.

That's my current stance of this. As well as, of course, the fact that I am highly considering to buy the Wii U just for this game.

I'm just afraid that Megaman is the only third-party character in the game. Last time, there were two of them, and both were introduced in the trailer at the same time. Megaman's the only one who appeared. But of course, I'm always hoping for a huge surprise. Since Snake came from a game that wasn't even released on Nintendo, but has had previous games in the franchise that were, then there might be slight possibilities. They might even include…I don't know…Cecil?

Adam DeLand wrote:

I'm just afraid that Megaman is the only third-party character in the game. Last time, there were two of them, and both were introduced in the trailer at the same time. Megaman's the only one who appeared. But of course, I'm always hoping for a huge surprise. Since Snake came from a game that wasn't even released on Nintendo, but has had previous games in the franchise that were, then there might be slight possibilities. They might even include…I don't know…Cecil?

"Since Snake came from a game that wasn’t even released on Nintendo, but has had previous games in the franchise that were"

And what makes you think Snake and Sonic won't come back? 4 of the 5 characters that didn't come back from Melee were clones.

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 07:30PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

From what I remember, Sonic was announced in a later trailer than Snake.

On that note, we'll most likely get 2 or 3 more new characters, any predictions on who that'll be?

@RandomMan

I'd probably expect Bayonetta (most likely not to get in), otherwise it's a replacement to Ike or Marth for a character from the Fire Emblem series, mostly from the newest one.

I'm sure Luigi isn't going to be left out; after all, it is the Year of Luigi.

Again,

They did it before it was cool
Metal Blade: SSBU: 0:50; SSF2: 1:09
Crash Bomber: SSBU: 1:02; SSF2: 0:12
Hard Knuckle: SSBU: 1:09; SSF2: 1:11
Flame Sword: SSBU: 1:11; SSF2: 0:45
Slash Claw: SSBU: 1:12; SSF2: 0:43

Last edited Jun 12, 2013 at 08:01PM EDT

Anyway, who I'm hoping will appear as a new character is Travis Touchdown. I mean, his artsyle, look, and luchador inspired moveset make him a prime candidate. And he has a beam katana.

SUDA51 even stated in an interview with Nintendo Power that he really would want Travis to appear in a Smash Bros. game. Plus, there's this badass bonus.

C'mon, really. He even lifts!

@Vino

Actually, I really support this. It would be a dream come true to play as a anime loving, cat caressing, powerful and overall badass assassin.

I would like Travis, or Henry. Both, even.

Several things I request:

1). Retool Ganon. Seriously…no more clone like Falcon. Ganon's got unique abilities and stuff. Make him like LTTP or OoT pls.

2). Replace Lucario with Mewtwo. I know you want new gen Pokemon representation, but Mewtwo is a classic character.

3). Keep Sonic in the game…so this can happen:

4). Create a decent story mode…the maze part at the end was too boring

5). Little Mac…pls…need some variety. There aren't any boxers in SSB, SSBM, or SSBB, so why not add him

7). Remove all clone characters. Seriously…Wolf was the biggest disappointment since in the end, there was Fox, Falco, and Wolf, all who had similar movesets and the same freakin final smash.

8). No Waluigi.

Considering how Namco is quite involved in this game, I'm hoping to Armok that we see a Tales character in the roster. My money would be on a Symphonia character, since it was on the Gamecube.

As for Nintendo properties…King K. Rool would be pretty ballin'. He'd make a nice quartet of villains with Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede (he was originally planned to be in Melee too, so I don't see why they'd take him out), and he's had enough quirky aliases to make a non-generic set of moves. Golden Sun's Isaac upgrading to playable status would also be amazing (because nothing says "Final Smash" like Megiddo's dropping a miniature sun on your adversary).

I don´t really think Pac Man will make it, even if Namco will be in charge of this one. He doesn't have enough moves, but that's me. Maybe Klonoa or someone else will make it.

What I really hope is for Snake to be kept. He was awesome. Sonic doesn´t worry me too much, because Nintendo has released a handful of Sonic games, and who wouldn't like to be on Smash? But Snake has been on Nintendo only 3 times (Brawl doesn't count).

And what do you guys think of the difference between 3DS and Wii U versions?

And aside from all that, I have a fantasy where Scout joins the fight. It is possible, but I don't think it will happen.

I'd just like to point out something, King Dedede was planned since the very first SSB game, so it's possible that whatever other new characters come would be planned ones from a long time ago like Toad. Also each SSB game so far has their own of each of these: A Mario Character (Melee had Dr. Mario, Brawl had Wario) other then Mario Luigi and the others, A Humanoid Pokemon (Mewtwo, Lucario), A Pokemon Character (Pichu, Pokemon Trainer) other then Pikachu and Jigglypuff, A Link/Zelda Character (Young Link, Toon Link) other then Zelda Link and Gannondorf, and a Fire Emblem Character (Roy, Ike) other then Marth.

I hope they bring in Toad, Zoroark, Plusle/Minun, Toon Zelda, and I'm not sure who should come in from Fire Emblem.

Lyn maybe?
I think most assist trophies and pokemons from Brawl should be promoted to playable characters.
Samurai Goroh in first place. He was teasing us since the intro of SSB Melee.

Lugia41 wrote:

I mean, seriously, everyone's expecting this guy.

Yeah I was on the Zoroark train for a while too, then this happened:

And while I would really prefer Zoroark (illusion seems like a fun ability for smash bros), considering that there's a new Pokemon game on the near horizon they'll probably want to keep things as current as possible.

Last edited Jun 13, 2013 at 12:58PM EDT

There won't be any tiers this game because you can't make a tier list out of one character. Let's be honest with ourselves, Villager is just going to disembowel his fellow fighters and sell their organs to pay off his debts to Nook. Or just to purchase that fancy rug on sale today.

Wishlist: Skins replace Clone Characters, Actual Costumes instead of Color Pallets, Character Specific Story Modes, Continued Support though Extra Content DLC and Rebalancing, Miiverse Support, Rival List…

And Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia. Screw Lloyd and Luke, or any of those Tekken characters. I want the man named after Animeted Lesbian Relationships!

Last edited Jun 13, 2013 at 05:37PM EDT

Hypercat-Z wrote:

Lyn maybe?
I think most assist trophies and pokemons from Brawl should be promoted to playable characters.
Samurai Goroh in first place. He was teasing us since the intro of SSB Melee.

I think Lyn would be good as the Fire Emblem character, but they'd have to really set her apart from Marth somehow to make her stand out. They'll probably just take Chrom from the newest Fire Emblem game anyway.

Well, seems my wish of alternate costumes has been shot down. Also means they won't have the alternate skins thing either.

And unlocking things though repetitive tasks will also not be in effect. Though hopefully they allow unlocking characters though just playing Multiplayer Matches many times.

I'd love to see King K. Rool. Donkey Kong has been in the franchise since its inception and Diddy Kong was added in Brawl. Just seems natural to include the primary antagonist of the DK universe. Another character that would be a good addition is Waluigi, given that Wario was added for Brawl. Bowser Jr. from Super Mario Sunshine could be fun, providing some really exciting and different opportunities for combat. It's a little sad that Boo hasn't made it into the series, but I'm not sure what they could really do with him as a fighter. Ridley from Metroid would be nice, because that series is criminally under-used. It'd be cool to see a Paper Mario skin for Mario and a Yarn Kirby skin for Kirby but, as the link in the above post shows, it appears alternate skins are off the table.

Last edited Jun 13, 2013 at 11:54PM EDT

I imagine they could easily make a moveset for Travis Touchdown and bring Mewtwo back as Mewthree to promote the new pokemon games.

Also I hope that the Star Fox characters don't all have the Landmaster this time.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Wishlist: Skins replace Clone Characters, Actual Costumes instead of Color Pallets, Character Specific Story Modes, Continued Support though Extra Content DLC and Rebalancing, Miiverse Support, Rival List…

And Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia. Screw Lloyd and Luke, or any of those Tekken characters. I want the man named after Animeted Lesbian Relationships!

I agree. Wario had something similar in Brawl. And maybe even choose between Pikachu/Pichu as the same character. What if Villager also has a female skin?
However, I don't agree with the Character Specific Story. What made Brawl cool was every character being together in the trophy world. Besides, how could they fit characters from other games into other storylines?

Well, seems my wish of alternate costumes has been shot down. Also means they won't have the alternate skins thing either.

And unlocking things though repetitive tasks will also not be in effect. Though hopefully they allow unlocking characters though just playing Multiplayer Matches many times.

Hah Lloyd has a better chance of getting in than Yuri.
Who knows maybe it can be some other Tales of Character.

Digoxin wrote:

I agree. Wario had something similar in Brawl. And maybe even choose between Pikachu/Pichu as the same character. What if Villager also has a female skin?
However, I don't agree with the Character Specific Story. What made Brawl cool was every character being together in the trophy world. Besides, how could they fit characters from other games into other storylines?

I think you misunderstand, just because each person has their own pathway in the story doesn't mean they can't intersect with each other. And I was intended that idea to overhaul the classic mode instead of a subspace emissary mode.

I think you misunderstand, just because each person has their own pathway in the story doesn't mean they can't intersect with each other. And I was intended that idea to overhaul the classic mode instead of a subspace emissary mode.

The stories could intersect like Paper Mario, where you kept bumping into Luigi every so often, and he was going on his own adventure.

Also, when is Paper Luigi? I mean, come on, it's already set up.

Well! My ideal story mode for the game is like a hourglass:
Each character starts with his own story. Then their stories converge, an intersection at time, into one. And from that point the story can lead to different paths and different endings.
In sum: The first half of the story has different viewpoints but one storyline (cuz they have to meet), while the second half has one viewpoint but different possible storylines.
So: When you start with a character you see only his viewpoints and the one of the characters he joins with. Ergo: from a certain point forward the story is the same for all of them, but from that same point you have choice on the path of the story.

This is being produced by Namco, correct?

If it still is, these are the characters I hope for (In order from most believable to least):
- Klonoa – he fits with the whole mascot thing, and I think is better than Pacman to boot.
- The King of All Cosmos, or at least some reference to Katamari Damacy.
- Somebody from The Outfoxies, considering that it was, well, Smash Bros. before Smash Bros.
- One of the Point Blank guys. Those games were my favorite in the Arcades.

And on the Nintendo side (Once again, most believable to least):
- Jill from Drill Dozer. So far, one of Game Freaks best (besides you-know-what.)
- Mike Jones from Startropics.
- Somebody from the Rhythm Heaven Series. It'd be hard to find though, considering that there isn't really any true representatives from the series, it's all minigames.
- Professor Layton. Not sure about this one, as he doesn't really fight and he's owned by Level-5.
- Sukapon from Joy Mecha Fight. He's already a fighter. He should be perfect.
- Another obscure NES Character, along the lines of Balloon Fight, Wild Gunman, Duck Hunt or Excitebike.
- Another obscure SNES Character along the lines of Battleclash, Tinstar, Pilotwings or Whatever this game is.

A crazy list, I know, but it's what I would like to see.

How about Taizo, the protagonist of Dig Dug?
I would be OK with both his original version

his Mr. Driller version

and his badass version

Last edited Jun 15, 2013 at 03:58PM EDT

Sadly, I think that the iconic Namco characters don't get much of a chance as characters. Maybe they will be assist trophies, because a giant Pac-Man eating everyone sounds cool.
Also, am I the only one thinking that WF Trainer's scream will sound sexy?

Now, may I derail this thread just a bit… Does anyone have trouble playing with anyone on WiFi?
I just don't find anyone, and I'm wondering if it's something with the Wii, my internet or something.
And also, if anyone wants, they could send me their friend codes.
I would insert mine here, but the Wii is currently unaccesible. I will put it in my page in a few hours.

Adam DeLand wrote:

Okay, something's bugging me. I found a work on DeviantArt that suggests a character that I thought would make a good addition. I posted that to the image gallery, and everyone hates it. But what really annoys me is they aren't saying why they hate it.

This is what I'm talking about

It's Keldeo.

Looks like this for those not into Pokémon. Clicky for Bulbapedia probably maybe.

It's a legendary, Water/Fighting type.

Stupid reasons I personally don't like it (all reasons aren't actually reasons I don't like it):

• I'm still sore about Fighting is Magic. Too soon, bro.
  • Polywhirl is Best Water/Fighting type.
    • He doooo~

Less stupid, but still speculative reasons from me:

• It really does look like an OC of a FiM pony. I don't know for sure, but I don't think it's the most popular of Pokémon, and it's probably drawing the ire of those who have seen one too many My Little Pony gifs.
  • I don't think any casual fan of Pokémon or serious, competitive gamer, even, will want to see Keldeo. I think I'd rather see any other Pokémon that's already been in the game (trophies included, Goldeen included) than Keldeo. I don't like the design (oddly enough,) I don't know anything about it (even in playing the games) and I've rarely liked legendaries anyway.
  • The text in the image is very gung-ho about Keldeo. There are some fans who are really happy about talking about their favorite anything. Unless you're just as gung-ho, being very excited about it just seems a bit silly, even if it's as good of an idea as Villager.
  • Only one person has made a comment against it, and all that is was a gif expressing his dislike of it. Any well-placed gif will get upvotes. I think you may be taking 8 downvotes on the image a little too seriously, I'm afraid.

If I remember correctly, then you love you some Keldeo. That's totally fine, but most people don't seem to like that Pokémon. I think that's all there is to it, ultimately.

I dunno! While it's not one my wishes I think Nintendo knows too well the brony fandom to not smell the scent of money by including him in Super Smash Bros. 4.

Hypercat-Z wrote:

I dunno! While it's not one my wishes I think Nintendo knows too well the brony fandom to not smell the scent of money by including him in Super Smash Bros. 4.

Really? I don't think so. The only reason games like Borderlands 2 and Team Fortress 2 have subtle nods is because they're both made by western companies. While bronies certainly do exist in Japan, it's not enough for a subtle nod, let along choosing a smash bros character based on appealing to them. While I'm not discounting it there are three pokemon characters off the top of my head that have a better chance. (IE new Mewtwo, Zoroark, N).

Digoxin wrote:

I don´t really think Pac Man will make it, even if Namco will be in charge of this one. He doesn't have enough moves, but that's me. Maybe Klonoa or someone else will make it.

What I really hope is for Snake to be kept. He was awesome. Sonic doesn´t worry me too much, because Nintendo has released a handful of Sonic games, and who wouldn't like to be on Smash? But Snake has been on Nintendo only 3 times (Brawl doesn't count).

And what do you guys think of the difference between 3DS and Wii U versions?

And aside from all that, I have a fantasy where Scout joins the fight. It is possible, but I don't think it will happen.

Normally I wouldn't comment on a post this old, but I will because of one certain question, but I'll reply to the whole thing.

Pac Man's in Street Figher x Tekken, btw, just saying. However, Klonoa is an established PlayStation character. Sure, he was on Wii once, but that was a remake.

Snake was awesome, and seemed to fit well and made perfect sense, even though it was completely illogical. Sonic however, I want gone. He just seems like a party crasher, and he didn't really add to the game at all.

As for the difference between 3DS and Wii U, here is why I reply.

I have strong feelings about this, and I'll be clear when I say it: The 3DS version is dead weight. Not only does it look like shit (The N64 game was more pleasing to the eye) it's slowing down development, and they're putting in too much work trying to make the two versions similar. Nintendo does obnoxious stuff with Pokemon, but this is much much worse. Also, the whole idea of having 3DS exclusive content sickens me, because there's no way you can have the full experience. Wii U exclusive is fine, because 3DS is shit anyway, but I'll be getting shit content on the 3DS that would be good on Wii U, but I can't get to it.

I remember a lot of people felt Brawl was an incomplete game. (It was, tbh)

This is even more blatant because it's deliberately shattered, and it's planned to be incomplete to begin with. (Sakurai even admitted to being too lazy to decide to increase the number of new characters)

Adam DeLand wrote:

Okay, something's bugging me. I found a work on DeviantArt that suggests a character that I thought would make a good addition. I posted that to the image gallery, and everyone hates it. But what really annoys me is they aren't saying why they hate it.

This is what I'm talking about

There are already a few Pokemon character in the game, can't overdo it. Plus if they want to add a new Pokemon characters they probably look at the more well known Pokemon first (read: Not Keldeo). Zoroark is a better aim for a new Pokemon, plus I can see him work out better. And even then you have to remember that Nintendo already said they can't bring back all characters because it simply takes too much time. They won't be adding many new characters at this point, and if they do Keldeo is one of the last corners they look.

Pretty much 90% of what people call "great for Super Smash" can be confirmed to either not work out or highly unlikely. People get their hopes up too quickly, but just because we think they might work out doesn't mean Nintendo is certain to listen to our demands.

Something tells me Nintendo is being really lazy with SSB4. Apparently they won't include a story mode because the internet will spoil it for everyone, mostly the cutscenes. I personally enjoyed the Subspace Emissary, and the cutscenes in that were bloody beautiful. Let's hope they turn this around.

Last edited Jul 26, 2013 at 04:40AM EDT

Yo! You must login or signup first!