Forums / General

195,868 total conversations in 5,393 threads

+ New Thread

Can somebody explain Twitter to me?

Last posted Jun 20, 2013 at 12:59PM EDT. Added Jun 16, 2013 at 04:22AM EDT
17 conversations with 9 participants

I went ahead and got a Twitter account several months ago, and I drop in there from time to time, but I honestly still don’t get it, and have yet to tweet. This clearly is the biggest Internet phenomenon of which I have just about absolutely no understanding.

Jun 16, 2013 at 04:22AM EDT

All I know about twitter is it’s just another cesspool of stupidity and has hash tags. cough Like Tumblr cough

But, um, for a start, follow someone? I THINK Amanda B. has a twitter account so I suggest finding and following her. Also, I believe Nintendo and Sony do too. You know, following them can give you updates with games and I think they communicate with fans. Also, follow Xbox one or Microsoft for some laughs.

Last edited Jun 16, 2013 at 05:03AM EDT
Jun 16, 2013 at 05:03AM EDT

Twitter is where you type the dumb things that come into your mind during the day:

I think Einstein was actually a Gnome. That would explain both the hair and the high intelligence score. #DnD

Find people to follow on twitter who can be really funny with one sentence. I recommend Weird Al.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:18AM EDT

Like reddit, it’s can be difficult to get your head around how Twitter works. We all know about the hashtags but they’re often irrelevant to your own interests.

So, first thing is following people in your field of interest. You seem to have a good pool of people you’re following. Aside from that, I find using the vanilla version of twitter very hard to keep open and constantly check. If you use Firefox, I’d highly recommend the Echofon add-on, it keeps the progress of where you were up to in your unread tweets and alerts you instantly to new tweets or mentions.

It’s also pretty useful just for plugging your own stuff (blog posts, images, etc), stuff that interests you, communicating with other people you know or just posting your short, 140-character restricted at-a-time thoughts.

Jun 16, 2013 at 05:23AM EDT

I personally do not have much interests in twitter, but I can definitely see its uses.
For one, following hashtags will help you keep in touch with discussion on topics you care about.
Another thing is following celebrity twitters and/or twitter accounts of famous/semi-famous internet people, which can give interesting insight on their lives, opinions, and horrible sense of humor. (a lot of bronies love following the people working on MLP)
Television shows lately have absolutely loved making twitter hashtags about their show (and in the case of reality shows, making like 100 of them)
I’ve been noticing interviewers using twitter to collect interview questions.
There’s also company/website twitter accounts, which alert you about sales and/or site updates and whatnot (while also hilariously being run by people that try to sound like a real person but just end up sounding like robots)
And then there’s just following random people (friends, relatives, or internet strangers) and just seeing what sort of weird thought farts they have.

Hell, you barely even need to use your twitter to tweet. My brother uses his twitter all the time and loves it, but he barely uses it to tweet unless in response to other people.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:21AM EDT

I have a Twitter account and rarely ever use it. It doesn’t seem to serve any purpose other than to spout random things that come to your mind.

If you are a celebrity or any kind of VIP then this is actually quite useful. Great source of leaked info
for all the people who vest their time into you

But if you are average Joe and nobody cares about what you think, then it’s pretty useless. You just talk to yourself

But following friends might be a good start, then you can use it like a Facebook comment section that’s easier to reach via your phone

Jun 16, 2013 at 01:10PM EDT

Interesting responses, although most of the advice here is stuff I’m already doing (I’m following a lot of interesting and/or funny people, including a lot of people from KYM). I think the big thing for me is figuring out why I would bother to tweet. I was tempted to think of twitter as a form of poetry, like how haiku always has 17 syllables (not technically correct, but close enough) since structure sometimes breeds creativity. I just can’t get into it, though, and so few of the tweets I see have interested me greatly.

Jun 16, 2013 at 09:10PM EDT

So I just thought of this while talking on IRC: I challenge KYM users to give me a reason to tweet. Captain Blubber’s suggestion that he’ll follow me if I tweet was pointless, since I don’t care yet. Make me care, I dare you.

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:48PM EDT

I see your dare and raise you another dare:

Tweet “I’ve decided to become a Beleiber”. I freaking dare you

Make sure you link your profile here so I can follow.

If anyone asks: Say a Windows message dared you to.

Last edited Jun 19, 2013 at 07:15PM EDT
Jun 19, 2013 at 07:14PM EDT

That’s a good one, except I shouldn’t take the out, either. Let’s see if someone comes up with something better, since I’d hate to waste my first tweet on that if something really cool is suggested.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:29PM EDT

Hell, I’ll jump in on this game too. It’s not like anyone follows my Twitter account.

The next post to get dubs (in the post ID) becomes my tweet

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:37PM EDT

I use twitter a lot to keep in touch with my friends and follow famous people I’m interested in talking to (I’ve had conversation for example with controversial British MP George Galloway for instance).

A lot of people seem to think you just have to post random nonsense but thankfully the friends I follow tend to talk and link to interesting discussions about politics, videogames, society and the like.

It’s a communication tool, and like all tools, you get as much as you put into it.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:27PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Hell, I’ll jump in on this game too. It’s not like anyone follows my Twitter account.

The next post to get dubs (in the post ID) becomes my tweet

why does everyone want to ship me?

Last edited Jun 20, 2013 at 01:48AM EDT
Jun 20, 2013 at 01:45AM EDT

^^and we have a winner! BSoD, let’s see that tweet!

Jun 20, 2013 at 02:51AM EDT

Think I’ll watch this thread, I’ve been wondering what the bloody hell Twitter is for too, especially after I found out my girlfriend uses it.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:59PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!