Forums / Discussion / General

171,278 total conversations in 5,503 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Anime general

Last posted Aug 21, 2013 at 10:05AM EDT. Added Jun 17, 2013 at 08:47PM EDT
63 posts from 31 users

So yeah, discuss anime. Either your favorites, ones you hate, whatever.
Yeah, funny thing is that I used to hate anime with a passion. Then I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim and it reminded me of voltron and gundam a bit, so I decided to start watching a couple mecha animes like Evangelion and Gurren Lagann. I became hooked and started venturing off to watch Deathnote and Attack on Titan. Now I’ve gone off the deep end. I’m watching shows like upotte!!, Infinte stratos, and haganai. Help guys, I’m addicted and its taking over my life.

Also, Charlotte Dunois is so kawaii! :3

Last edited Jun 17, 2013 at 08:54PM EDT
Jun 17, 2013 at 08:47PM EDT

You, madam, have made an excellent thread, and I thank you dearly for it!
My favorite animes… there’s so many… but I have three on the top of my head.
1. Maid-sama

For when I want to have those feel good moments after my day’s been ruined. Honestly, it’s one of those that you watch not for the usual action you expect from other animes, but for those tender and hilarious moments.
2. Hellsing and Hellsing: Ultimate

A grimdark series about the King of Vampires and his “servant” hunting down and killing other vampires. I think what made it stand out from other vampire shows was the HUGE amount of blood, gore, and violence, the Nazi Vampires, and its unique dark humor. Each episode of the regular is about 30 minutes, but the OVA Ultimate series is a remastered version of the regular that is about an hour each episode.
3. Elfen Lied

Another dark anime that struck me as unlike what I originally thought what it would be about. Basically, a mutant girl goes on killing sprees, but has a second persona which is the complete opposite; innocent.

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:14PM EDT

Ever since Madoka and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure I just… haven’t been able to watch any more Anime. Nothing else I could possibly watch will ever live up to the glory of those two.

Well, okay. Been watching Fate/Zero occasionally and showing Evil Nemesis Fate/Stay Night, but I keep getting distracted. n_n;;

Jun 17, 2013 at 09:22PM EDT

So, discussion time:
I’ve noticed a lot of people consider Neon Genisis Evangelion to be the best anime ever made. IGN even listed it as the 10th best animated series of all time, and its the highest anime on the list. I’ve seen the entire NGE series( TV series, end of evangelion, and the 3 rebuild movies). Honestly, speaking about the TV series specifically, I don’t get all the praise. Now don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed it ( for the most part), but it had some serious flaws in my opinion.

I didn’t find the ending to be profound, I thought it was downright insulting. That was a horrible ending. That’s hardly my only complaint about it. I didn’t like how downright confusing it was at times and the fact that with all its exposition, it still made no sense at times. Shinji is probably the least likable protagonist I’ve ever seen. That’s just my opinion on it. Do anyone here consider it the best? And if you do, could you explain why?

Last edited Jun 17, 2013 at 10:06PM EDT
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:05PM EDT

A thread for anime in general! Awesome! I actually used to be the vice president for my university’s Japanese Anime/Manga club and we ended up watching some pretty good and some not so good stuff. Favorites include Psycho Pass (hated the ending, though), Madoka, Deadman Wonderland, Tiger and Bunny, Attack on Titan and I will always have a special place in my heart for Ruruoni Kenshin and Outlaw Star when they aired on Toonami back in the day.

We also watched Usagi Drop during one semester which I liked. It was a really cute slice-of-life story about a man who adopts his grandfather’s young daughter and almost everyone in the club liked the show. But then I found out how the author of the manga decided to end it. This is probably a good representation of how I felt when I found out about it:

Kudos to anyone who knows what the gif is from…

Last edited Jun 17, 2013 at 10:09PM EDT
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:08PM EDT

@Dac

It’s funny because Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (by the same studio, no less) is easily superior: better animation, more epic storyline, protagonist has character growth & development that sticks, more likable characters in general, and a much much higher “holy shit quotient”.

TTGL is the best anime ever, except Fist of the North Star.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:40PM EDT

@Dr. Coolface
I Couldn’t agree more. It’s the best anime I’ve seen so far and I can’t imagine finding anything more epic than it.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:04AM EDT

Recently I’ve been watching a lot of this stuff.
-Sword Art Online
-Gargantia
-Attack on Titan
If you are bored I reccommend them all.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:46AM EDT

About Evangelion: I thought it was decent at best. All the characters annoyed the crap out of me, especially Shinji. PILOT THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI!

I did just watch Mirai Nikki last week and it was AWESOME. Yukiteru and Yuno were the only things that kept me from absolutely loving it. Yukiteru cried like a bitch and never amounted to much. In fact, he almost reached Shinji level of main characters I want to strangle. I didn’t like Yuno, not because she’s absolutely psychotic (that’s awesome); it’s because she’s too possesive of Yukiteru. Waay to possessive. But I loved every other character minus Fifth (too creepy) and Eighth (too irrelevant).

In fact this is my current wallpaper:

Jun 18, 2013 at 02:10AM EDT

I finally got around to watch the second season of Arakawa Under the Bridge. It’s a story about the MC, a successful high-class entrepreneur falling in love with a homeless girl who lives under a bridge and dealing with their differences. I like the animation and all the characters are really likeable. The best way to sum up the story is this trailer:

Also, the opening itself made me pick up the series.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:19AM EDT

Did you know that the author of Arakawa Under the Bridge wrote another manga called Saint Young Men? It’s about Jesus and Buddha sharing an apartment in modern Japan.

The concept is funnier than the actual thing though.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:21AM EDT

@Evangelion:
I watched the first episode of the series in an anime club at my high school, and I honestly did not get the hype about it. The episode bored me to tears and the rest of the series did not seem all too promising. I agree that Gurren Lagann is a far superior anime. I did just see the most badass amv for Evangelion in the AMV Contest at Anime Boston, though

AMVs are awesome

@Outbreak:
GTO is the shit, yo

As for my own personal favorites, I’m gonna have to go with Fullmetal Alchemist (both the original and Brotherhood)
Just watch this opening and tell me you don’t wanna watch Brotherhood right now

(Ok, I’ll stop embedding videos, I swear)

Second best for me goes to Ouran High School Host Club

It’s just so bright and colorful, while also having some of the best comedy I’ve seen in anime. Not to mention great character development (mostly in the manga)

Third goes to D.Gray-Man

Unfortunately this goes last on my top three because, while it was an amazing series that had me hooked for months, it has a somewhat slow start that made it a little hard for me to get into. Not to mention the anime ended without giving the series a proper ending, and then the manga kinda just died (getting moved from weekly to monthly to bi-monthly, with plenty of hiatus’ in between). So this series basically got no ending which really rustles my jimmies because there were so many places this series was going.

Special mention goes to the anime No. 6. It’s based off of a series of light novels, and only 11 episodes, but I’ll be damned if I ever see a dystopia story done better.

I haven’t watched any new series in a long time, but I recently picked up a few more. Most prominently being Attack on Titan (yeah, you all know what that series is), Black Lagoon (saw another great AMV for that series at AB that made me watch the series), Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (I have a love hate relationship with this series. I think it’s mostly love, though), and Uta no Prince-sama (or Utapri for short. This is a cute series based on a visual novel/dating sim that takes place in a school for people wanting to make music and/or perform and become idols. Basically it’s a boy band anime)

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:59AM EDT

@crimson locks

The rebuild of evangelion movies are pretty good. If you haven’t checked them out, I recommend them. They are a huge step up from the series.

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:31PM EDT

i havent been into anime until about a year ago were i was kinda feeling like getting back into it but didnt know what to watch. friend of mine told me about soul eater one time. from then on the rest is history. i got addicted to watching anime and many other shows like black butler series, hellsing series, host club, d-gray man, fairy tail, and many more.

personally, i prefer watching dubbed episodes more than subs. i dont mind subs at all, some shows i am currently on are attack on titan and d- gray man. though it pisses me off when people bitch and complain about dubs being worse than subs. i dont care really, i like both. i just prefer dub so i dont have to keep reading subtitles all the damn time

so just to give out my list of top 3 shows i love above the others.

1. Fairy Tail

for me, fairy tail has everything i could want in a show. it has great action, a well made story, loveable characters with unique personalities and backgrounds, plot (both kinds), and the soundtrack for the show is unbelievable. it had moments were i wanted to watch more episodes late at night before i go to bed on a work day. i laughed until my chest started to hurt. and i felt feels in the show that made me cry manly tears, swear to god. though it is on hiatus at the moment until late july were they continue making episodes, ive been following the manga, and it has me very excited for whats going to come for the new episodes. so all in all, great show, highly recommended.

2. Soul-Eater.

like i said earlier, this was the show that started it all for me. it has a great story line, great characters, and the eng dub voice actors match the characters perfectly. it also made me obsess about eng voice actors and finding who’s who in the shows i watch. and also is why my avatar is kishin asura. he is boss.

3. gundam wing.

one of the first anime shows i watched when i was little around the time it aired, along side dragonball z. simply put, the best gundam series ever made in my opinion. amazing looking gundams that had a simple look yet very distinct and unique styles. the storyline is very well made, and the characters are amazing as well.

thats all i can say really.

Last edited Jun 18, 2013 at 11:13PM EDT
Jun 18, 2013 at 11:11PM EDT

This is like the fifth anime general.
Anyway if you want some feels go watch Angel Beats.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:37PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

This is like the fifth anime general.
Anyway if you want some feels go watch Angel Beats.

Since it’s getting close to it, I’ve been thinking of making a Summer Anime General, to have discussion about this year’s summer anime season.
Y’know, to keep anime thread count low.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:04AM EDT

Dr. Coolface wrote:

@Dac

It’s funny because Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (by the same studio, no less) is easily superior: better animation, more epic storyline, protagonist has character growth & development that sticks, more likable characters in general, and a much much higher “holy shit quotient”.

TTGL is the best anime ever, except Fist of the North Star.

>Implying that FLCL isn’t the best thing to ever come out of Gainax

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:25AM EDT

I gotta tell you, I think Gurren Lagann and Evangelion are two of the most over hyped series from Gainax. I’ve watched both and enjoyed them. But, I wouldn’t include it in my “Top Favorite Anime”.
I mean, if a person asked, “I want to get into anime, where should I start?”, I would recommend those two. Gurren Lagann has fluid animation, good art style and lovely hotbloodeness. Evangelion has trauma, if you’re into that, giant monster battles and mind fucks. Madoka Magica also falls into the “Anime Starter Pack”, even though I love the series. Really, not all anime is for everyone.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, is usually sought out for it’s “violence” by “young edgy teenagers”, but it has a good story. Mind you, the series has arcs for each character. Still, I liked the story and overall enjoyed the series. Once it was over, I felt satisfied.

Mobile Suit Gundam is one anime I would really like everyone to get into. Not, Gundam Seed, Gundam Wing or any other recent Gundam animes, even though I do hear good things about Unicorn and G Gundam is a personal favorite. Watch Mobile Suit Gundam to V Gundam and you got your fill of real robot action with magical psychics and trauma.

Gunbuster is also a good Gainax anime, this show INVENTED fan service. You know, tight suits, boob physics, bath scenes. Still, a good mecha series with a hotblooded heroines. One giant ass robot versus a bunch of aliens in space. Inazuma kick!

Tenchi Muyo and Monogatari series, Bake, Nise and so far Neko, are on the top favorites. Full of laughs and action. Also, a high selection of cute girls. Monogatari with vampires, lolis, tsunderes, and yanderes. Tenchi Muyo with harem, lolis, space pirates, incest, and gods.

Last edited Jun 19, 2013 at 05:43AM EDT
Jun 19, 2013 at 05:38AM EDT

level4outbreak wrote:

A thread for anime in general! Awesome! I actually used to be the vice president for my university’s Japanese Anime/Manga club and we ended up watching some pretty good and some not so good stuff. Favorites include Psycho Pass (hated the ending, though), Madoka, Deadman Wonderland, Tiger and Bunny, Attack on Titan and I will always have a special place in my heart for Ruruoni Kenshin and Outlaw Star when they aired on Toonami back in the day.

We also watched Usagi Drop during one semester which I liked. It was a really cute slice-of-life story about a man who adopts his grandfather’s young daughter and almost everyone in the club liked the show. But then I found out how the author of the manga decided to end it. This is probably a good representation of how I felt when I found out about it:

Kudos to anyone who knows what the gif is from…

Well, that looks like Great Teacher Onizuka!

My favorite anime ever is Wolf’s Rain (2004). animated by Studio BONES, who always do great animation work, it’s a profound story about four wolves’ quest for paradise, along with the trials they and other humans go through in their journey. The story and its conclusion is some of the most affecting stuff I’ve ever seen, greatly aided by the score by Yoko Kanno, not to mention of I bawl my eyes out by the end of every series rewatch. It’s also a show that illustrates the depth and art of animation, especially considering the symbolism and motifs running throughout the show. Definitely worth checking if you haven’t already, it really is a beautiful work.

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:51AM EDT

@Asura: You forgot to mention that Soul Eater has a lot of plot as well

And yes, the english dubbing for SE kicks serious ass. I have a couple of friends who are all “eeeew, dubbing!” and all I can say to them is they can suck my nuts because there are plenty of dubs that are better than their “japanese dub master race”

@Calkarot:
I watch my anime either on Crunchyroll or the Funimation website mostly. Good news, it’s free, it’s legal, and the videos are good quality. Bad news, there are adds, they don’t always have the anime I want to watch, and there are episodes (usually new episodes) that can only be watched as a subscriber. Bleh. Usually if those sites don’t work out I just use google to find the show I wanna watch and go from there.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:13AM EDT

Tales of Symphonia the Animation.

Still some OVA’s to come out next year.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:15PM EDT

For my favourite, I’d go with Durarara

A bit of an odd choice I know, but I have a soft spot for it. I can honestly not tell you what it is about the show that makes me love it so much, I just do.

But I’d agree with Crimson that Ouran is second best

Unlike Durarara, I know exactly why I like this show. The show is hilarious, probably one of the funniest anime I’ve seen (And I watch a lot of comedy anime). There’s also a load of hot guys so that immediately makes it awesome.

As for third, I’d go for Full Metal Panic

Another fairly odd choice (probably not as strange as Durarara being number one but oh well), but I really enjoy the characters, the story and the comedy. The characters are likable, the story arcs are pretty interesting and it can also be really funny sometimes.

And considering that there are tons of anime generals so far, why don’t we sticky this one? It would save the need to create new ones when we feel like talking about anime again.

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:38PM EDT

>2013
>Not Mentioning Spice and Wolf
>Not bowing to your apple-loving Wise Wolf overlord

I love this show and really hope that they make a third season. If it turns out they won’t, then I’ll probably get the manga. From what I understand, it follows the manga very closely.

I love the focus on what it’s like for a traveling merchant, never mind the fact that Lawrence is harboring a pagan wolf spirit who is being hunted by the Church because they think she’s possessed by a demon.

Lawrence is a believable character; A middle-aged traveling merchant. Very calm and reserved, and not the most sociable of people given his career, but he still has some friends in many different villages, and knows how to haggle for better prices.

Holo… hm. At first, I wasn’t too fond of Holo. I found her a bit annoying and very self-entitled. She was very pretentious and smug.

…but then SUDDENLY, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! I began to understand Holo’s plight. She was kept from her homeland for hundreds of years, and was trying her hardest not to fall in love with Lawrence because of his mortality.

Spice and Wolf is definitely up there in my favorite stories I’ve yet read/watched/heard,

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:02PM EDT

@crimson locks
yeah, it has some good plot as well cough cough Blair cough

also am happy to hear another person that likes dubs as well. most people i know get butthurt over the idea of dubbed shows.

but lets be honest, how can you say that english dub is bad when you hear stuff like this.

@crimson locks and random 21
i have watched high school host club some time ago, dubbed of course. but i have to say that i dont blame you guys for loving this show as well as i.

its just so happy go lucky that no matter how bad of a day you have, this show will make you feel a lot better. the characters are unbelievably adorable and it is hilarious as fuck. only down side is that there are no more episodes, i would kill to have another season of it.

Last edited Jun 19, 2013 at 08:30PM EDT
Jun 19, 2013 at 08:29PM EDT

I think you guys are forgetting KYM Cromartie High School

All you need to know about is in the opening.

Last edited Jun 19, 2013 at 09:05PM EDT
Jun 19, 2013 at 09:04PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

I think you guys are forgetting KYM Cromartie High School

All you need to know about is in the opening.

YES. JUST YES.

Also, in terms of Anime, I actually can’t be bothered to watch most of it. The only anime I’ll ever watch is Cromartie High (Mentioned above), Fist of the Noth Star (Really? not mentioned YET? It’s damned good. At least IMO.) And the new JoJo’s Bizarre adventure anime. (Even though there isn’t even a good sub out.(GOOD. NOT THE DUWANG SUB.))

Last edited Jun 20, 2013 at 08:29PM EDT
Jun 20, 2013 at 08:26PM EDT

>KYM Anime thread
>Summer 2013
>Not mentioning “Hataraku Maou-Sama”

mfw:

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:06PM EDT

So… why hasn’t anyone mentioned this little gem?

This is one of my favorite comedy anime of all time.
All the characters are great (except for some at first), the jokes are almost always spot on, and it has surprisingly great character development among characters, well, moreso in the manga. It’s just so happy-go-lucky, too.

I mean, look at it. Look at them kawaii mufuggers.
So, yeah I recommend it. Even Yamada alone is recommendable.

Last edited Jun 21, 2013 at 08:31PM EDT
Jun 21, 2013 at 08:23PM EDT

for those that watch fairy tail, or want to watch it. heres an idea of how epic it is. found this video a while ago. it gave me chills watching it.

enjoy

Jun 22, 2013 at 03:32PM EDT

norsehorse89 wrote:

This is the best anime of all time.

Yes it is great, but….
We can easily go into an entire debate, but it’s simply a western cartoon done in an anime style.
Not an actual anime.
Still very very good.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:39PM EDT

@norsehorse
Great show, not an anime though

Oh god, can’t wait for this.

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:05PM EDT

@Dac-harlotte

Pacific Rim seems like a really awesome action movie to me and I will probably see it. It’s just the similarities between it and EVA bother me, I don’t know how to describe it, it’s just feels weird.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17AM EDT

Well if we’re talking about anime that everyone should see then that’s easy.

You haven’t lived if you haven’t seen FMA: Brotherhood.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:10PM EDT

Horo the Wise Wolf wrote:

@Dac-harlotte

Pacific Rim seems like a really awesome action movie to me and I will probably see it. It’s just the similarities between it and EVA bother me, I don’t know how to describe it, it’s just feels weird.

Don’t get me started on the differences between Pacific Rim and Eva. The similarities are just superficial, that is, Mechs vs monsters. The similarities end there. Anyways, the concept of robots fighting monsters of some sort is not a plot. It’s a concept that was very popular back in the day. That, along with the Tokusatsu of the time is a massive influence on both Pac Rim and Eva. Both Anno and Del toro grew up watching that stuff. And thus they made something in that spirit.

Last edited Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55PM EDT
Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55PM EDT

for those who watch fairy tail. good news. hiro mashima, creator of the show, announced on his twitter that the anime is returning and his production team are working on the new episodes. im not too sure when exactly are the episodes are going to be aired in this year. im just so happy that the show is coming back from haitus.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:40AM EDT

Honestly, I don’t think I’m going to pick up Fairy Tail when it returns. We’re 200-something episodes in and from what I can tell there is no plot. The characters have no main goal they are trying to achieve. There’s that thing with Zeref, but if that’s the case then why isn’t Jellal the main character?
Then there’s the problem with the “plot”

When Mashima wrote Rave, he felt really bad about adding in fanservice because it was a children’s manga. Either Fairy Tail isn’t a children’s manga, or Mashima had a change of heart.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:47AM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

Tales of Symphonia the Animation.

Still some OVA’s to come out next year.

i kind of felt a little empty watching this. there were a couple of parts that were either shortened or left out, making this OVA more like a speedrun to get the gist of things than a representation of the game

i did enjoy watching it, especially since it gave more back story on mithos/martel/yuan/kratos and how everything ended up the way it did, but it didn’t have the same feeling as playing the game. it really should have been a ~20 episode tv series with additional content from side-stories (lloyd and kratos training / raine’s mother / peeping tom / etc.)

Last edited Jul 14, 2013 at 12:46PM EDT
Jul 14, 2013 at 12:45PM EDT

Captain Badass wrote:

Honestly, I don’t think I’m going to pick up Fairy Tail when it returns. We’re 200-something episodes in and from what I can tell there is no plot. The characters have no main goal they are trying to achieve. There’s that thing with Zeref, but if that’s the case then why isn’t Jellal the main character?
Then there’s the problem with the “plot”

When Mashima wrote Rave, he felt really bad about adding in fanservice because it was a children’s manga. Either Fairy Tail isn’t a children’s manga, or Mashima had a change of heart.

if you follow the manga, you will see he is trying to get back the old feeling of fairy tail before the entire time ark. the new story after the grand magic games is going to be really good. if you dont read the manga i highly recommend it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 01:04PM EDT

Father Pucci tfw no Dio-sama wrote:

So… why hasn’t anyone mentioned this little gem?

This is one of my favorite comedy anime of all time.
All the characters are great (except for some at first), the jokes are almost always spot on, and it has surprisingly great character development among characters, well, moreso in the manga. It’s just so happy-go-lucky, too.

I mean, look at it. Look at them kawaii mufuggers.
So, yeah I recommend it. Even Yamada alone is recommendable.

i’ve added wagnaria to my anime list. i could really go for something upbeat right now

Jul 14, 2013 at 04:19PM EDT

Yeah, I only watch vintage anime.
Either that or really obscure stuff.

But seriously though, I recommend this every time I come here, but Lupin the 3rd is top-tier, if not god-tier… At least, to me it is. I could see people not liking it. It’s a lot more grounded than a lot of anime.

In terms of movies, Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie/OVA is shallow and kind of stupid, but a pretty enjoyable ride. It’s my favorite. I grew up with it, though, so I might be incredibly biased.

Other than that, I don’t remember a whole lot of anime that I’ve watched. It’s weird, I love anime, and yet I never watch it… I’ve been wanting to watch Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure for a while, but I’ve been hesitant because it’s not available for streaming on Netflix or Hulu…

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:05PM EDT

Not a single mention of Baccano!?

Anyone?

Just listen to that shit. That is Tank-level grooviness right there. That is always a good sign.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:42PM EDT

Jyron Stone wrote:

Not a single mention of Baccano!?

Anyone?

Just listen to that shit. That is Tank-level grooviness right there. That is always a good sign.

Ah yes Baccano!. I just recently finished the series and I absolutely loved it. The music, the characters, the plot; everything was really well done. It is also one the best in terms of English dubs, and I personally feel it rivals Bebop as the best dub of all time. And Ladd Russo is just awesome.

I have recently also finished Madoka Magica, which I loved (especially the music) and I am currently watching Gurren Lagann, Black Lagoon, and Attack on Titan.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:38PM EDT

Blazblue anime confirmed!
Link

Last edited Jul 23, 2013 at 02:07AM EDT
Jul 23, 2013 at 02:05AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!