Forums / Discussion / General

168,559 total conversations in 5,399 threads

+ New Thread


Quick question for you lot

Last posted Jul 04, 2013 at 12:27PM EDT. Added Jun 26, 2013 at 06:02PM EDT
39 posts from 27 users

Have your feelings ever been hurt by a post online? Don’t include ones made on some social media site by people you know. Those aren’t what I’m talking about. Has a post online, made by a stranger ever caused you any real emotional distress?

I don’t want you to go into any more detail than you want to, but I’m just curious about this sort of thing.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:02PM EDT
Quote

Yes. However, on the flipside things that have been said has also worked to calm my distress.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:08PM EDT
Quote

Yeah, I had somethings that either irked me or made me feel depressed about myself. But, then again, my feelings can be hurt quite easily. Just who I am.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:09PM EDT
Quote

Nope. The words of others are either meant to help or hurt. If they’re meant to help then there’s no reason to feel offended. If they’re meant to hurt, then there’s no reason to feel offended. Haha.

I guess I should explain a little.

Someone who wants to help you means no offense, they just want to see you become the best that you can be.

Someone who wants to hurt you only wants to see your squirm and feel insecure by their words. I don’t think these people should be given the opportunity. If you let their words affect you, you’re letting them win.

Words are just words. They don’t define character. You should know who you are, so you should know where your faults lie. Of course, there are people who are too hard on themselves, but I believe they should admit they’re being hard on themselves. Lying to yourself is a terrible thing to do.

I kind of went off on a tangent towards the last part. Whoops. Ah well, I think you all get the idea.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:31PM EDT
Quote

I’ve had my jimmies rustled many a time, but it’s never been a personal offense.

Like if you call me a terrible name, I shrug it off, but if you insult mai waifu I’ll cry forever.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:33PM EDT
Quote

Many things have made me angry, but little ever personally insults me.

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:48PM EDT
Quote

I can get annoyed quite easily at times, but never was this taken to the part where I felt personally hurt.

If someone sends you a PM like how you’re “shit at life”, “should go die”, and “nobody loves you”, they clearly have no grip on who you really are. Those words weren’t handpicked to hurt you specifically by getting into you personally, they are just mere anger issues by the person saying them. Pity them, not yourself, you are better than them for not running back to such strategies.

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 07:16PM EDT
Jun 26, 2013 at 07:14PM EDT
Quote

I very rarely get peeved at people on the Internet. I enjoy seeing those who attempt to insult others over the web.

One thing my teacher taught me, though, is that you never truly ‘know’ a person whom you just met. Such as, you know nothing of things that may have happened in one’s past. Whether they have seen someone die or have been raped. You gotta be careful out there, trolls.

Jun 26, 2013 at 07:28PM EDT
Quote

Not really. Maybe when I was younger, but even then nothing gave me serious emotional trauma, and if it did I certainly can’t remember it now.

Jun 26, 2013 at 07:34PM EDT
Quote

No, I do get mad though. I just never get my feelings hurt.

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:01PM EDT
Quote

Yeah whenever I visited /pol/ everybody there was a hardcore right-wing conservative and none of them cared about women’s rights or anything and they all wanted blacks dead and it was just a bad place.

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:18PM EDT
Quote

Omomon wrote:

Yeah whenever I visited /pol/ everybody there was a hardcore right-wing conservative and none of them cared about women’s rights or anything and they all wanted blacks dead and it was just a bad place.

It’s a land full of bigots spreading their bigotry.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:22PM EDT
Quote

It’s hurtful even when strangers consider all Christians to be bible-thumping, homophobic bigots. I wouldn’t be so hurt by it if the community in my town didn’t treat Christians the same way as well.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:25PM EDT
Quote

When I was younger and stupid(er) I let my emotions fly a lot online. People making opinions I didn’t agree with would make me start flaming or people posting respectful messages would make me bawl my eyes out. But of course that was all when I was a kid.

In time I learned how to properly deal with posts on the internet, starting with the realization that the old saying “Sticks and Stones” applies more to the internet than anywhere else

The second important lesson I learned is that when you get haters, or people start rejecting you…you don’t need to change their mind and get their respect,..nor can you. So I learned when to just stop responding to haters and go do something more useful with my time.

There are more lessons you learn on the internet as time goes by on how to keep your cool, or at least reduce the damage to yourself when you don’t. But I wont go into too much detail.

To this date, very few things make me upset. Certainly not anything you can say about me personally. You wont get past my wall of self-esteem, sorry.

Some things can make me frustrated or angry, like the last time Flat Earthers entered the Youtube comments and would not shut up, but I wont post when heated.

The last thing to really make me upset was the last news in the Syrian Conflict thread. But even then, it wasn’t because of anything anyone said about me and also I backed out when I saw that my jimmies were rustled

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 11:21PM EDT
Jun 26, 2013 at 11:19PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

In time I learned how to properly deal with posts on the internet, starting with the realization that the old saying “Sticks and Stones” applies more to the internet than anywhere else


I’ve never really felt personally hurt by a post online. I’ve felt my views attacked by posts from strangers, but I learned to ignore them the same way I learned to ignore hateful words from people I grew up with. Those were a lot more personal, and it just doesn’t quite hit as hard when it’s online.

Last edited Jun 26, 2013 at 11:39PM EDT
Jun 26, 2013 at 11:30PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

Not really. Maybe when I was younger, but even then nothing gave me serious emotional trauma, and if it did I certainly can’t remember it now.

Ok scratch this.

I made a thread on /mu/ and some dude told me to fuck off.

And I don’t know but it hit something in me.

I think I’ll stay off there for a while.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:02AM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

Ok scratch this.

I made a thread on /mu/ and some dude told me to fuck off.

And I don’t know but it hit something in me.

I think I’ll stay off there for a while.

And you didn’t expect that from someone on 4chan? Maybe you SHOULD stay off.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:13AM EDT
Quote

Le Bumpkin wrote:

And you didn’t expect that from someone on 4chan? Maybe you SHOULD stay off.

Yeah I seriously don’t need advice from you.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:30AM EDT
Quote

Yes, my feeling have been hurt… especially from my good friends from Know Your Meme.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:20AM EDT
Quote

Why would someone get insulted or hurt by internet words? You can always just leave the computer.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:09AM EDT

Like many have said, I’ve never had my feelings hurt by a stranger, but I’ve frequently gotten pissed off. I think it’s because I’m a cynic, but I prefer to be proven wrong about how nasty people are in general.

I remember a long time ago, there was someone online who I was trying to give constructive criticism to. They were putting forth a political argument that, while I disagreed with it, I thought was pretty solid. I told them that I respected where they were coming from, but saw some flaws in their argument, and suggested how I felt they could strengthen it. In response, they told me off for being a closed-minded bigot even though I hadn’t even expressed that I thought they were wrong! That was the first time I ended up swearing off politics for a long period of time, because far too many people don’t want dialogue, they just want to shove their opinions down your throat.

Being polite means so much more to me than being “right”.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:16AM EDT
Quote

Who are we? Where are we? Where are we going? Answers to these questions are sometimes naive and
amusing. Also, sometimes the answers amuse his nonsense. Is it worth spending your time on this search? Yes. Following this finding and watching it we can find the answers necessary and useful to us. And sometimes we can just smile and it will also be to our wholesome.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:37AM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

Yeah I seriously don’t need advice from you.

lol, I was just joking.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:11AM EDT
Quote

Anyone gives me shit I just call them a faggot or something and move on.

Trade barbs with barbs.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:09PM EDT

It’s like an eye for an eye on my part.
I’m mostly 50/50 on my arguments, whether I started it or vice versa.

I get hurt sometimes, but the feeling wears off because shit. It’s the internet, nothing can or will hurt you anywhere at all so you should stay free.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:53PM EDT
Quote

No. If I gave a shit about what anonymous strangers over the Internet thought about me I’d have a pretty miserable existence.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:46PM EDT
Quote

I get pissed off when someone posts something that I disagree with even slightly. Mostly shipping wars and politics. I can be a real opinionated asshole sometimes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited Jun 27, 2013 at 05:02PM EDT
Jun 27, 2013 at 05:01PM EDT
Quote

Wow! Or organic psychodilic

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 07:20PM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 06:51PM EDT
Quote

Wow!
 Quite certain of computational expressed in English. It can display the value of a google, and yet little-known theoretical values.
Takes the form of a valid, rational, irrational, transcendental and imaginary. Has a logical basis. And, being introduced in a number of Boolean, allows us to complete the proof of even the most complex theorems.
The number of masked characters in the string after the “Wow” may be out indefinitely, includes, for example, “Dude”, a kind of “f…” and many others, and not always printed computers.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:10PM EDT
Quote

Okay, I’ll bite. What language are you speaking?

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:46PM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

Okay, I’ll bite. What language are you speaking?

He just posts gibberish.

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 10:48PM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 10:48PM EDT
Quote

I think anyone here. my
language, And how do they know?

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:22AM EDT
Quote

Mildly, yes. but it’s gotten much easier to ignore personal attacks the more you realize that what some guy online thinks of you doesn’t matter much at all.

The difficulty for me comes in the constant erosion of my beliefs; I hold views that are at odds with much of the mainstream internet, so I have to be careful I don’t adopt the internet at large’s opinion by osmosis through no reason or logic.

Jul 04, 2013 at 10:09AM EDT
Quote

Personally hurt? Either never or not in a very long time…

Some posts however can have some weight to them and irritate me to a personal extent sometimes, I can be quite sensitive by that sort of degree.

Jul 04, 2013 at 10:49AM EDT
Quote

Mack TheUnoriginal wrote:

Mildly, yes. but it’s gotten much easier to ignore personal attacks the more you realize that what some guy online thinks of you doesn’t matter much at all.

The difficulty for me comes in the constant erosion of my beliefs; I hold views that are at odds with much of the mainstream internet, so I have to be careful I don’t adopt the internet at large’s opinion by osmosis through no reason or logic.

I find this an interesting statement, partially because I know that interacting with people on the Internet has led to changes in my beliefs in many ways. Are you saying that you don’t want to change, or are you saying that you’re worried that you’ll change in too casual of a manner?

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:18AM EDT
Quote

Brucker wrote:

I find this an interesting statement, partially because I know that interacting with people on the Internet has led to changes in my beliefs in many ways. Are you saying that you don’t want to change, or are you saying that you’re worried that you’ll change in too casual of a manner?

Worried that I’ll change with no good reason. That I’ll begin to believe something is true just because I hear it over and over.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:27PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!