Forums / Discussion / General

170,205 total conversations in 5,454 threads

+ New Thread

Nintendo to Disconnect Certain Wii services

Last posted Jun 28, 2013 at 05:50PM EDT. Added Jun 28, 2013 at 12:31PM EDT
8 posts from 8 users

So I got a message of my Wii console stating that they’re going to discontinue many Nintendo Wii online services, including the Forecast, News, Everybody Votes, Mii Parade (For original Wii users, not WiiU or 3DS) and many other things. This personally pisses me off, because 1. Wiiu isn’t backwards compatible, and the only way I’m going to be able to afford the thing (If I even choose to buy it) is to sell my Wii, thus not being able to play my original Wii games. 2. Isn’t it too early to be discontinuing Wii services? I’m willing to bet that more people own Wiis than WiiUs at this point. and 3. They’re essentially telling you “Stop using out old products and buy new ones, and if you can’t afford it, then leave my presence peasant.” Thoughts?

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:31PM EDT

i never really used any of the services you mentioned with my Wii, but i do feel that they should have waited until the WiiU has been out for a few years or so before closing down anything

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:39PM EDT

I got the update a while ago. But it didn’t bother me (except for missing the weather music…)

1. Lack of backwards compatibilityUh… So is Nintendo just flat out lying here? Even if you decide to pass on the Wii U as an individual, most fans will get it for the 1st-party games. And no large business is (or should be) concerned about a group of individuals who don’t make up a significant portion of their revenue.
    1. But for me, again, I intend on keeping my Wii (for GameCube games), so selling it or trading it in to help get a Wii U wasn’t really in the cards for me in the first place.
    2. Again, I’m pretty sure that it’s backwards compatible with Wii games.
  2. Too early to discontinue Wii services? – Again, I rarely used them, and I don’t know of anyone else with a Wii who used them often either. They didn’t close all of the features (the YouTube channel and Internet Browser are still up for the time being), so if they wanted to save money by shutting down less frequently used and desired channels, then I think that’s a sound decision.
  3. Implied messages – Dunno. I think that every console has that implication. They’re selling a new product, and they want people to buy it. But I don’t even know if discontinuing these services is a big part of the message. If people don’t use the services or are very attached to them, then you discontinue them in order to save money and resources.

I have no problem with it as a business decision, and my only problem is that I can’t listen to the Forecast Channel musAH SNAP SON PROBLEM FIXED.

I have no problems with it in the least.

Last edited Jun 28, 2013 at 02:00PM EDT
Jun 28, 2013 at 01:56PM EDT

Sir Crona Statscowski Esquire wrote:

So I got a message of my Wii console stating that they’re going to discontinue many Nintendo Wii online services, including the Forecast, News, Everybody Votes, Mii Parade (For original Wii users, not WiiU or 3DS) and many other things. This personally pisses me off, because 1. Wiiu isn’t backwards compatible, and the only way I’m going to be able to afford the thing (If I even choose to buy it) is to sell my Wii, thus not being able to play my original Wii games. 2. Isn’t it too early to be discontinuing Wii services? I’m willing to bet that more people own Wiis than WiiUs at this point. and 3. They’re essentially telling you “Stop using out old products and buy new ones, and if you can’t afford it, then leave my presence peasant.” Thoughts?

Actually, the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, but not the GameCube.

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:57PM EDT

I’m perfectly fine with this. I’ve never used my Wii for anything but games. The internet browser was slow, and I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the Miis. I still have a Gamecube (who doesn’t?), so I’m not opposed to an upgrade. I think Nintendo should do this to keep their attention on newer things at less cost. I’m not sure how much it would cost to constantly keep giving people the weather day in and day out, but I’m sure the numbers would add up.

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:13PM EDT

They just discontinued the non-gaming services that have to be regularly maintained. You can still play online games, browse the internet, and still access the online store with the Wii so I am fine with it.

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:13PM EDT

I don’t think any of those services were that popular, so I don’t think there’s any real loss. They cost money to run, and the wii is in the process of dying off, so it’s no big deal really.

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:50PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!