Forums / Discussion / General

168,584 total conversations in 5,401 threads

+ New Thread

Magic: The Gathering General

Last posted Jul 15, 2013 at 03:27PM EDT. Added Jun 29, 2013 at 10:46AM EDT
58 posts from 14 users

Post everything Magic: The Gathering related. Favorite card? Favorite color? Fav strategy? Whatever. Lets talk about cards and stuff. There’s also the new Magic 2014 game. If you have it, add me on steam and maybe we’ll play a game.

Last edited Jun 29, 2013 at 10:56AM EDT
Jun 29, 2013 at 10:46AM EDT

I just recently got into MTG about a month ago. I only have one irl deck so far (an Izzet deck), but I’m working towards making a zombie deck. I effing love zombie decks.

I also have the newly released 2014 DOTP Magic game on steam. And so far, the game is really really awesome 10/10 would recommend.

I would love to have more people to play with though irl and on steam. so if you have steam and are thinking about buying this game or already have it you should add me c:

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:59AM EDT

ALSO IZZET BROS UNITE

Last edited Jun 29, 2013 at 11:02AM EDT
Jun 29, 2013 at 11:01AM EDT

Ooh, I used to play MTG back when Onslaught and Legions were brand new sets. Good times, good times.

I had a Black/Green deck with some small reanimator elements, but I never got it fully completed because I didn’t get my hands on 4 Brawns (trample for everyone when on graveyard), and other big creatures. It didn’t have older cards than those of the Odyssey set, so I didn’t have any Exhumes or Animate Deads on it, but I did have 4 Zombifies, which I used in order to play the two Krosan Colossus’s I had from the graveyard.

Of course it would have been extraordinarily annoying if it was a full reanimator deck, since there is nothing more annoying that playing one of those 9/9 tramples or 8/8 flyings on your second or third turn.

Of course you could also stich up a nice 20/20 Sutured Ghoul with trample, on the first few turns, although it’s a was a pretty risky move in case he got unsummoned or countered.

I’m sure there are several counters to Reanimator decks these days, but I remain happily oblivious to them since I know nothing of the newer cards and rules.

Last edited Jun 29, 2013 at 12:04PM EDT
Jun 29, 2013 at 12:03PM EDT

Moargun wrote:

ALSO IZZET BROS UNITE

Selesyna Masterrace.

Anyway now that I’m among my own kind, I need ask something.

Why is the Token-support Elf-Girl the strongest Champion? How can Ruric-Thar not be able to kill her?

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:55PM EDT

When I was a kid I had a green deck. Always got my ass handed to me by anybody who owned a black deck, but I loved it nonetheless. Kids were pretty merciless, and I wasn’t well liked. Moargun got me back into it. I still have no idea what I’m doing.

Jun 29, 2013 at 08:33PM EDT

Personally I’m running a Selesnya Token, a Green-White Agro, and an Orzhov deck. I’m too lazy to post a card-list, but I’d enjoy seeing anyone else’s.

Jun 29, 2013 at 09:45PM EDT

i only play EDH because it is a fun format and most people i know play it.
I use ghave, guru of spores as my general because he is complete boss.

my deck not only revolves around token spamming, but also a bunch of little neat things that piss off my opponents.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:26AM EDT

Omg Syndic and I met the coolest dudes playing dotp on steam this weekend. It was great, I hope some of you are considering getting this game.

Jun 30, 2013 at 09:10PM EDT

I love this card so much. I don’t even care what anyone else thinks, this card has saved my ass 100000000 times.

Last edited Jul 01, 2013 at 10:55AM EDT
Jul 01, 2013 at 10:54AM EDT

Serious Business wrote:

Newfags can’t counterspell.

I wish I could play with you guys.

Last edited Jul 01, 2013 at 09:05PM EDT
Jul 01, 2013 at 08:58PM EDT

PimpAbra and his bro kicked our asses last night.

Fuck

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:35AM EDT

Do we not have enough Magic-Bros to keep this thread alive? :C

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:06AM EDT

Moargun wrote:

Well there isn’t an active discussion so no one is posting, and I believe only you and Syndic play the M14 Game.

So unless we get a topic more specific probably not.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:47AM EDT

By the way, does the MTG game you guys are playing have lots of variety in the cards, or are there just basic decks with a handful of cards that you can change?

Tons of cards, or do you always have to use what you can get?

The reason I’m asking, is that I was thinking if you could actually build a Reanimator deck with the cards you can get, or does it simply require too old cards?

Namely cards like these:

Exhume, Animate Dead, Zombify, Reanimate, Diabolic Servitude, Dread Return, etc.
- Spells used to play creatures from your graveyard. Exhume and Animate Dead have very small drawbacks, and only cost 2 mana.

Biggest and nastiest creatures you can find
- Mana cost, and even color doesn’t matter, the bigger the better. Flying and/or Trample is a bonus too.

Brawn
- Just discard this one, and your 9/9 Krosan Colossus and 13/13 Krosan Cloudscraper get that free Trample that they desperately need.

Buried Alive, Entomb
- To get the big creatures to your graveyard in case you didn’t happen to draw any.

Putrid Imp, Wild Mongrel, etc.
- Good and cheap creatures that allow you to discard cards from your hand. Basking Rootwalla also goes nicely with these. Spells that allow you to discard cards from your hand are also good.

So, are any of these cards in the game? Could you actually build this kind of a deck, or is it just too specialized?

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 10:41AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 10:39AM EDT

M14 CARDS ARE GOING TO BE AVAILABLE JULY 19TH

Is there a way we can webcam magic, haha. I really want to play with you dudes :C

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 10:42AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 10:42AM EDT

@muumi: Basic decks with a handful of cards you can swap out, but it is fairly flexible. I’ve changed up decks enough that their entire strategy started revolving around different elements than originally intended, but yeah, it is a bit limited besides that. They also mostly (if not only?) have cards from the new set, and not many/any from old series of magic cards, even in the “sealed play” decks, which are made from random cards unlocked through single player campaigning. There is a necromancer deck, which I suppose isn’t exactly the reanimating strategy you want, but it has a lot of zombies and focuses on the undead and summoning hordes, so there’s that.

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:52AM EDT

By the way, does the MTG game you guys are playing have lots of variety in the cards, or are there just basic decks with a handful of cards that you can change?
Tons of cards, or do you always have to use what you can get?

There are a good variety of decks that are pretty badass. If you decide you want to buy the deck keys (which are .99 cents) you can unlock all of the cards. If you don’t want to pay for each deck, you can just unlock all the cards by playing the game, doing challenges, and completing the campaign. I guess you could say they are a little basic? But you get a lot of uncommon, rares and mythic rares in your deck that you can use. In my opinion, all the decks are crazy and overpowered (things that most likely wouldn’t happen irl will happen in this game), or how Syndic would say it “They were forged in the depths of magic hell”.

Now there is a thing called “Sealed Play” that allows you to open up booster packs and make a deck using those cards. I haven’t played much of that, so I don’t have much information on it.

So, are any of these cards in the game? Could you actually build this kind of a deck, or is it just too specialized?

You can’t just bring in whatever card you want and use it. It gives you certains cards for certain decks you can use. And you build them up from those. I mean, the way I’m explaining it sounds like a bad thing, but honestly, it is so much fun messing around with a super badass deck. Trying to make it stronger or faster, or whatever you want your deck to be like. It’s a good way to learn how to game works, how to get into thinking strategically, and everything else a beginner Magic would want to know (not saying you’re a beginner, but I am, and it’s helped a lot). I know people who have played this game since they were 11 and they still enjoy this game a ton.

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 10:59AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 10:54AM EDT

Moargun wrote:

M14 CARDS ARE GOING TO BE AVAILABLE JULY 19TH

Is there a way we can webcam magic, haha. I really want to play with you dudes :C

If only, I don’t even have a webcam.

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:56AM EDT

Syndic wrote:

@muumi: Basic decks with a handful of cards you can swap out, but it is fairly flexible. I’ve changed up decks enough that their entire strategy started revolving around different elements than originally intended, but yeah, it is a bit limited besides that. They also mostly (if not only?) have cards from the new set, and not many/any from old series of magic cards, even in the “sealed play” decks, which are made from random cards unlocked through single player campaigning. There is a necromancer deck, which I suppose isn’t exactly the reanimating strategy you want, but it has a lot of zombies and focuses on the undead and summoning hordes, so there’s that.

If you’re really into zombie decks 10/10 would recommend the Deadwalkers deck. I have unlocked and it is a very nice deck. Many people use it, some are really terrible with it (ex. me) and some people rock everyone’s boat with it. You just have to get the strategy you want and go with it.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:01AM EDT

Cale wrote:

If only, I don’t even have a webcam.

I wish you could get DOTP on steam :(

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:09AM EDT

Moargun wrote:

(not saying you’re a beginner, but I am, and it’s helped a lot). I know people who have played this game since they were 11 and they still enjoy this game a ton.

Well, I think I count as a beginner nowdays, since ironically enough, I used to play MTG about ten years ago, back when I was 9-13 years old. If I got into it all again, there’d probably be so much new stuff that I’d be just as confused as a beginner.

It’s a shame that the game system seems to be pretty restricted, but I guess it’s way better for the game health and balance in the long run.

Now that you started to talk about MTG, I got this urge to dig up and finish my IRL Reanimator deck, but I’m pretty sure I’d never be able to get the cards needed this day and age.

Well, not without some cash and connections anyway.

I have a few rare cards like Tsabo Tavoc, Aboshan, Jareth, Ihsan’s Shade (homelands), and Predator Flagship. But I don’t think they’d get me all the cards I’d need.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:15AM EDT

Moargun wrote:

I wish you could get DOTP on steam :(

Yeah, you and me both. It’s not even a money thing. I just don’t have a Video card that run anything.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:16AM EDT

If I got into it all again, there’d probably be so much new stuff that I’d be just as confused as a beginner.

Well if you’re thinking about getting into it again, you should definitely buy DOTP on steam. And you’ll always have people to play with! (Me and Syndic of course). There is even online play, where you can just join some random game and duke it out with some people.

Last edited Jul 03, 2013 at 11:37AM EDT
Jul 03, 2013 at 11:36AM EDT

Okay, as you’ve probably noticed, I’ve been going on about Reanimator this, Reanimator that, like a broken record. But now I actually figured out at least one way to build a decent Reanimator deck with what I can get.

While I can’t get the needed cards from my old friends anymore, the Graveborn theme deck would actually provide me with just about everything that I’d need.

I ordered the deck online, and also got a few other used cards ordered (like Rorix, Inkwell Leviathan, and Sheoldred). When those arrive, I can break up my old deck, and finally build a proper one by combining it with some backup cards and the Graveborn deck.

Too bad I don’t have Steam and good internet connection, so I probably won’t be getting any of the MTG games, though I admit that it might be fun to try them out someday.

The only games I really play on my laptop are LoL and Diablo II.

Jul 07, 2013 at 08:45AM EDT

Moargun wrote:

It’s what you get for playing a game for NEEERRRRDS!

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:12AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

It’s what you get for playing a game for NEEERRRRDS!

i call RandomMan.

Your cannot post on this thread so long as this card is in play :)

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:49PM EDT

Asura, The Anti-Fun. wrote:

i call RandomMan.

Hahaha!

10,000 karma for you

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:03AM EDT

I’ve been getting my ass kicked so much on steam lately, god damn.

I think I’ll stick to irl for a few days
…or just today

Jul 08, 2013 at 07:06AM EDT
NEEERRRRDS!

Says the pony and flying loli loving moderator of a website dedicated to internet memes.

Jul 08, 2013 at 10:53AM EDT

Asura, The Anti-Fun. wrote:

i call RandomMan.

Play another one.

I dare you.

Jul 08, 2013 at 11:36AM EDT

Hey guys,

Your friendly neighborhood MTG playing mod here to contrast with the strange hare that keeps hopping in.

If anyone has dotp14 I’m up to play, my steam username is PimpAbra

Otherwise, if you’d like to take a look at anything I’m working on, here’s my Tappedout page.

I’m currently working on a creature heavy casual deck that revolves around enter the battlefield interactions, with pandemonium and viashino creatures taking a lead role.

Jul 08, 2013 at 03:15PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

NEEERRRRDS!

Says the pony and flying loli loving moderator of a website dedicated to internet memes.

Says the person with no powers at all posting on that same site who drew that specific mod a piece dedicated to him alone even though that artist deals with common laziness affecting the quantity of his works.

Last edited Jul 08, 2013 at 09:03PM EDT
Jul 08, 2013 at 09:03PM EDT

Hey guys I downloaded the demo for Magic 2014 and I can kinda play magic the gathering now.

What do you suggest for a newb such as myself to not do when looking for a deck?

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:32AM EDT

Omomon wrote:

Hey guys I downloaded the demo for Magic 2014 and I can kinda play magic the gathering now.

What do you suggest for a newb such as myself to not do when looking for a deck?

Don’t make your deck too big 60~70 cards should be enough. Some people make larger decks for certain colors and abilities to deck has. But I say just stick with making it small for now. I think once you start using the decks in dotp you’ll get a feel for them and you’ll probably get an idea of what you want out of your deck.

Also, you don’t want to have ONLY expensive/powerful creatures in your deck. Sure they’re a great idea at first, but remember you need to get all those lands to play that card. (But it still depends on what kind of deck you are using)

I hope this made sense, I’m terrible at explaining things

Jul 09, 2013 at 07:01AM EDT
Says the person with no powers at all

Implying that I’d want to mod without getting paid, when the only thing worth anything to me would be a custom title.

drew that specific mod a piece dedicated to him alone

I drew that piece for a friend, not for a mod.

I’m a huge nerd, but so are you, old chap. I can sum it all up to this one clip.

But since this is an MTG thread, let’s talk about MTG.

I know you guys have developed your own combos and strategies, and just out of curiosity, wanted to ask what kind of stuff you’ve come up with. That is, if you are not afraid to reveal your secret tactics to everyone here.

So, let’s assume you can get your hands on those rare cards you’d need, and get the ideal hand with the cards and mana required. What would you do to destroy, humiliate, or annoy your enemies to the ends of earth? Not necessarily on the very first turns, but in due time.

But don’t be boring enough to play 4 Black Lotuses in a row though.

I’ll start with this one.

Turn 1

- Play Dark Ritual to gain 3 black mana. Play Putrid Imp, and discard Blue Braids to give him flying. Use the remaining two mana to play Exhume. Put Braids into play

Turn 2

- Braids let’s you play your Hypnox from your hand, and your opponent has to discard his/her hand. Destroy your Braids, or the possible big creature your opponent got because of her. Just to be safe.

Turn 3

- Proceed to beat up your handless opponent with your 8/8 flying Hypnox.

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:52AM EDT

Omomon wrote:

Remember that your deck is a strategy. Even if there is a card you really like, or that is really good, remember that it has to play into your strategy to be effective. If it doesn’t fit, it doesn’t belong in your deck.

Also, I recommend a “white weenie” deck to all beginners. Having eight 1/1 dudes in play is better than one 8/8 dude.

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:05AM EDT

Turn 2

- Braids let’s you play your Hypnox from your hand, and your opponent has to discard his/her hand. Destroy your Braids, or the possible big creature your opponent got because of her. Just to be safe.

Hmmm… I looked more into this, and it seems the Hypnox card has been errated or something similar. I’m not exactly sure if this’d still work. If not, you can still still play it early with dark rituals and luck. It’s still an early big creature, but if the ability doesn’t work, you can just discard and exhume the Hypnox instead of Braids.

That, or you can just replace Hypnox with Emrakul or Worldspine Wurm.

I would’ve just edited my last post, but KYM doesn’t want me to do that. Meh.

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:47AM EDT

I know you guys have developed your own combos and strategies, and just out of curiosity, wanted to ask what kind of stuff you’ve come up with. That is, if you are not afraid to reveal your secret tactics to everyone here.
So, let’s assume you can get your hands on those rare cards you’d need, and get the ideal hand with the cards and mana required. What would you do to destroy, humiliate, or annoy your enemies to the ends of earth? Not necessarily on the very first turns, but in due time.
But don’t be boring enough to play 4 Black Lotuses in a row though.

Well in my irl deck I try to keep it quick (this deck is red/blue). Mostly low cost cards so I can bring out my creatures and instants out right away. My deck has mostly goblin and dragon creatures, and it’s special ability is OVERLOAD.
My favorite card in my deck:

lol i have 4 of these

If I get some mountains and this in my first hand I can do some pretty nice damage to the opponents life points very easily. And if they have creatures on the field I can dispose of them quickly (or do some damage while they are blocking)

Since I have a good amount of instants and sorcery cards in my deck another favorite of mine is:

i have two of these

I wouldn’t enjoy having him on the field alone though. HE MUST STAY ALIVE

Last edited Jul 09, 2013 at 11:13AM EDT
Jul 09, 2013 at 11:11AM EDT

This is the official best opening hand in MtG.

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:14AM EDT

@Muumi: You know I’ve never really put major combos into my decks. I usually just have an over-arching strategy, and while that does of course leave me without the ability to perform a lot of cool techniques, it seems to be working for me.

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:07PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

Turn 2

Hmmm… I looked more into this, and it seems the Hypnox card has been errated or something similar. I’m not exactly sure if this’d still work. If not, you can still still play it early with dark rituals and luck. It’s still an early big creature, but if the ability doesn’t work, you can just discard and exhume the Hypnox instead of Braids.

That, or you can just replace Hypnox with Emrakul or Worldspine Wurm.

I would’ve just edited my last post, but KYM doesn’t want me to do that. Meh.

Yeah, the combo with Hypnox wouldn’t work since its text is now “when it enters the battlefield, if it was cast from your hand.”

And putting into play is not the same as casting. It IS however a decent thing to do with any old fatty, but doesn’t get to put a hold on your opponent’s removal in the same way.

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:26PM EDT
Yeah, the combo with Hypnox wouldn’t work since its text is now “when it enters the battlefield, if it was cast from your hand.”

That’s really too bad, it would’ve been one nasty combo if it still worked.

While I’ve been looking into stuff that I’ve missed during this 10 year break with anything regarding MTG, I’ve run into a lot of interesting cards, but my favourite card by far, has got to be Stifle.

Seriously, that thing opens up so many nasty strategies to explore. Like countering the sacrifice requirement of Phyrexian Dreadnought, or maybe even playing Phage from the Graveyard. Could you actually do that with Phage?

Maybe you could use Sneak Attack to play hasted Phage against an unsuspecting enemy, and then counter the “You lose the game” ability. Maybe even give her Fear, Seeker, Landwalk, or something like that.

Do you think you could even put Emrakul into Graveyard with that? It’d be a fun little creature to reanimate if it would actually work.

Last edited Jul 09, 2013 at 02:50PM EDT
Jul 09, 2013 at 02:41PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!