Forums / Discussion / General

170,303 total conversations in 5,458 threads

+ New Thread

Video Game Biases?

Last posted Jul 24, 2013 at 06:45PM EDT. Added Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28AM EDT
25 posts from 19 users

We all have our first video gaming memories, our first system, our first experiences, and our first video games. Thinking about it though, have you’re first video games created a bias? Do you hold any of them up higher than they should be, simply because of the memories; even if not so, have your first video games influenced your tastes in their perspective genres? Tell me what you think.

As for my “biases”, the 3 main ones would be, “Skyrim”: My first ever open world RPG; the sheer level of exploration and immersion, detail, lore, and the terrain ranging from snowy mountain tops- my favorite- to grassy hills; have honestly made it very hard to compare other RPG’s i’ve played so far to it.

“Bioshock”: My first ever FPS, who’s beautiful and interesting setting, brilliantly crafted story that makes a smart well thought out point (that alone could result in untold hours of debate and philosophy), and the very fun combat system of weapons and plasmids who’s design leaned much more towards arena type biased shooting as opposed to the seemingly norm “cover biased shooting” ie “waist high walls galore”.

and

“Team Fortress 2”: My first multiplayer game; nine incredibly funny, interesting, unique, balanced, diverse classes with their own role. A wide selection of game modes to play as well as maps. The community; and again an arena biased combat system that only gets more diverse with every update, as opposed to, again- everybody being the same and waist high walls galore. (also, forgot to mention FREE TO PLAY.)

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28AM EDT

mario bros 3 and super mario world make me biased towards almost every platformer out there

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:57AM EDT

The only bias I have is that I enjoy Sonic games.

…And no, I am not a SEGA fanboy. I own a N64, and have a number of games for it.

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:25PM EDT

Hmmm, my first system was the original Playstation, and considering I’m a diehard Nintendo fan, I don’t think I got my system bias there. Although, I do have a fair few biases

Herdy Gerdy (You most likely don’t know this game, it’s obscure) – Received mostly average reviews and was a commercial flop. Despite possibly the worst AI to ever hit the earth and a bad camera, I absolutely loved the game as a kid. To this day I’d still put it at number 6 on my favorite video games.

Super Mario Sunshine – My first Mario Game. Generally, most of the Mario fandom give this game a meh at best, and is generally overshadowed by 64 and the Galaxy games, but I won’t hear a word against it. A key part of my childhood, and is at number 4 on my favorite video games

they’re the main ones, I can’t really think of any other ones.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:13PM EDT

I had been playing games since the Super NES days, in which the only game my dad owned was Super Mario World. However, I can’t really say I have a bias for that and can’t really vouch for even the N64.

I mainly have a bias for the Gamecube. Probably because that’s when I really started actively gaming. And looking back on it, it really did have a really strong library and the best controller in that generation.

Jul 10, 2013 at 04:33PM EDT

We Love Katamari was a big one for me. All of my current video game love secretly stems off of it.
It was a game made for “casuals,” but at the same time provided challenge, variety and a whole host of good times for me and the rest of my family. It was the game that told me that you didn’t need a terrible amount of difficulty to have fun. It still stands as one of my favorites, alongside the Wario Land series, which taught me how to be creative. They empowered me like no other games I know.

There’s also the Sonic series, which, while I’m not partial to anymore, was still important to get me to my current stance on gaming. While learning about Sonic, I learned about other Sega games along the way… Which lead me to look at other company’s games… and so on and so forth. Basically, it got me into the whole world of obscure gaming. I no longer look at unpopular games and consider them trash – in fact, quite the opposite. Nearly every game is joyous to me now. The more obscure, the better, even.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:21PM EDT

Huge bias towards the Game Cube. Kirby Air Ride is one of the best games out there. Mario KartL Double Dash!! is the best Mario Kart game. Mario Party 6 is the best Mario Party. And while I’m no Fox Only, Melee is still the best Super Smash Bros. (Though, that might change…) And because Spongebob and Soccy-Doo were such big parts of my childhood, their games for the Game Cube are also some of my favorites.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:50PM EDT

I definitely have a bias in regards to late 90’s/early 2000 online FPS gaming.

[commence rant about how BACK IN MY DAY FPS gaming was so damn simple and carefree and didn’t cost us any money or tie us to any accounts]

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:21PM EDT

I still consider the original Spyro trilogy to be the best example of 3D platforming, even years after their releases.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:05AM EDT

I think I have a PS1 bias. Almost all of my favorite games were either on PS1 (Breath of Fire III & IV, Castlevania: SotN, FF7 & FF9) or re-released for it (Chrono Trigger, FF6). Also, I think that PS1 was the height of the video game wild west, in that developers had a solid grip on how to make fun games that were successful, but there was still room for experimentation.

But I would say I’m VERY biased towards SNES. I still played SNES until it mysteriously disappeared one day, and this was after PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube came out (although I never had a Gamecube).

Last edited Jul 11, 2013 at 12:17AM EDT
Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15AM EDT

I have a huge bias towards late 90’s PC RPGs like Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur’s Gate.

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:26PM EDT

I have no grudges against any console or pc, for the most part I see them balanced out

But fps games seem to be a bane of my existence
Partially because I suck at them
But the lack of originality and number of “different” fps series seems half-assed
It’s like, there’s a new Battlefield, Modern Warfare, Call of Duty every single year
And they all seem the same
I lean towards games with emotional, aesthetic, or artistic impact

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:20PM EDT

3D platformers are the only games that don’t bore me to tears

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:55PM EDT

I am extremely biased against Grand Theft Auto. The fact it promotes thug life is what is poisoning the mind of today’s youth.

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:28PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

I am extremely biased against Grand Theft Auto. The fact it promotes thug life is what is poisoning the mind of today’s youth.

You better be trolling.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:03PM EDT

I kinda have a fighting game bias, but not in a way that is obnoxious. (like those tier-level people) Almost every game I own is a fighter: Injustice, Street Fighter (Alpha 3, Third Strike, IV), Tekken 6, SFxT, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, Smash Bros, Playstation All-Stars, and and a few others I can’t remember. Sometimes, people complain about DLC, and when the DLC is on-disk, I agree (a la SFxT), but people have to realize that some DLC can help the game boost sales and make a good franchise. A couple of examples would be the upcoming Ultra Street Fighter IV or the use of Yoshikage Kira as DLC in Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle.

I say this because I am pissed off with Santa Monica Studios at the moment, with the withdrawing DLC because PSASBR is struggling in sales. There are fans that want Dart playable and a Gravity Rush/Journey stage! Why don’t they get that these DLC can boost sales!?

So yeah, I like fighting games. A lot. Unfortunate my PS3 broke a while back though, but I’ll get it fixed soon.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:57PM EDT

Concise wrote:

I kinda have a fighting game bias, but not in a way that is obnoxious. (like those tier-level people) Almost every game I own is a fighter: Injustice, Street Fighter (Alpha 3, Third Strike, IV), Tekken 6, SFxT, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, Smash Bros, Playstation All-Stars, and and a few others I can’t remember. Sometimes, people complain about DLC, and when the DLC is on-disk, I agree (a la SFxT), but people have to realize that some DLC can help the game boost sales and make a good franchise. A couple of examples would be the upcoming Ultra Street Fighter IV or the use of Yoshikage Kira as DLC in Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle.

I say this because I am pissed off with Santa Monica Studios at the moment, with the withdrawing DLC because PSASBR is struggling in sales. There are fans that want Dart playable and a Gravity Rush/Journey stage! Why don’t they get that these DLC can boost sales!?

So yeah, I like fighting games. A lot. Unfortunate my PS3 broke a while back though, but I’ll get it fixed soon.

PlayStation All-Stars only sold 1 million copies worldwide. Shuhei Yoshida (President of Sony Worldwide Studios) said it wasn’t good enough from a business standpoint to continue

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:03AM EDT

GoingMenthol wrote:

PlayStation All-Stars only sold 1 million copies worldwide. Shuhei Yoshida (President of Sony Worldwide Studios) said it wasn’t good enough from a business standpoint to continue

It’s just, there are a ton of legitimate fans of the game who play the game, whether tourney-wise or casually. Games like Street Fighter and Smash Bros. started out small on their first outings as well, but they eventually became big, so why doesn’t this game at least have some breathing room for a while? ESPECIALLY SINCE SOME OF THAT DLC IS ALMOST FINISHED ANYWAYS!!

I don’t know how much you like a specific genre of games like I like fighting games, so you understand right? That game that you played a lot in whatever genre you like, that doesn’t get much love from its’ parent company? I think a good example of that would be Megaman, but I digress.

Last edited Jul 23, 2013 at 08:40AM EDT
Jul 23, 2013 at 08:39AM EDT

Concise wrote:

It’s just, there are a ton of legitimate fans of the game who play the game, whether tourney-wise or casually. Games like Street Fighter and Smash Bros. started out small on their first outings as well, but they eventually became big, so why doesn’t this game at least have some breathing room for a while? ESPECIALLY SINCE SOME OF THAT DLC IS ALMOST FINISHED ANYWAYS!!

I don’t know how much you like a specific genre of games like I like fighting games, so you understand right? That game that you played a lot in whatever genre you like, that doesn’t get much love from its’ parent company? I think a good example of that would be Megaman, but I digress.

i do feel that All Stars should be given another chance (maybe something for the PS4), but we live in a world where new IP are cast aside as they don’t make as much money as well known franchises

one of my most favourite games is TimeSplitters. Timesplitters 4 was already in production for more than 3 years, but Crytek (the new owners) put the game on indefinite hold since “nobody would accept this apart from some fans”. at least they gave permission to let fans make their own sequel, but that’s like saying “do our marketing”

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:09AM EDT

GoingMenthol wrote:

i do feel that All Stars should be given another chance (maybe something for the PS4), but we live in a world where new IP are cast aside as they don’t make as much money as well known franchises

one of my most favourite games is TimeSplitters. Timesplitters 4 was already in production for more than 3 years, but Crytek (the new owners) put the game on indefinite hold since “nobody would accept this apart from some fans”. at least they gave permission to let fans make their own sequel, but that’s like saying “do our marketing”

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:19AM EDT

General Grievous wrote:

I kinda like Call of Duty…

Not gonna come at ya bro.

Though I will say so myself, Call of Duty is not a bad game per-say; the main reason why people hate it- or at least why I think so- is because of how incredibly over rated it is, getting titles like “Best Game Ever!” and “Most successful franchise ever!” even when there has been no change, improvement, or new ideas/ mechanics at all in the past several years. To put it simply, CoD is not a bad game but rather an OK game that stays within its comfortable gray area of mediocrey and basks in undeserved praise.

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:58PM EDT

As I’ve mentioned before, my first computer back in the mid-‘80s was a Commodore 64. That 64 wasn’t for 64-bit processor like the N64; that was 64 kilobytes of RAM, if you can imagine. The average (non-smart) phone has way more computing power today. Still, I have a C64 emulator on my computer, and I and one of my best friends (who is much more of a gamer than I am, owning the PS3, XB360, and Wii) still think that system had some of the best games ever.

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:45PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!