Forums / General

195,881 total conversations in 5,393 threads

+ New Thread

Ever have one of those days where you just want to downvote everything?

Last posted Jul 12, 2013 at 12:58PM EDT. Added Jul 11, 2013 at 04:06PM EDT
11 conversations with 9 participants

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I’m pretty withdrawn so I try to be more outgoing when I’m online just so I can learn some social skills. But every time I start to feel like I’ve gotten the hang of things and start to feel competent, then boom, the internet hate machine rears its ugly head and I’m left wondering if I’m just being over-sensitive or if I’m actually doing something wrong. And now I’m all grumpy and ranting about it on a random post. Do you guys have any advice?

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:06PM EDT

Why should you care what some random guy on the Internet who you don’t even know and you may never have to interact with again thinks of you?
Yes, I stole this from Captain Blubber.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:27PM EDT

Of all the asses in the whole wide world, I like hairy man asses the very most!
Yes, I stole this from Captain Badass.

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:41PM EDT

I would take anything on the internet with a grain of salt. GIFT runs rampant and you simply have to accept that, just like in real life, there’s douchebags on the internet--only the percentage is quite a bit higher due to the anonymity.

If something rustles your jimmies or has you down in the dumps, just go onto Youtube and watch people trying BMX stunts and faceplanting to cheer up. Just don’t read the comments.

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:08PM EDT

Do I have days that I feel everyone is stupid? yes
Do people make retarded posts? yes
Do I downvote? no

In the forums
Me personally, I hate the downvote button. It’s just used as either a bad way to troll people or an I disagree with you but I won’t comment on why I disagree with you button. The latter not being constructive to a discussion board at all. Even arguments are better than no discussion at all.

In the pic entries
People make the most retarded comments all the time. People act as though you made the pic when all you are doing is adding it to an entry. Even if you did make it and add it people will make comments like these….

your username omg

comment made by an obvious troll

Don’t you think it’s a bit unfair to call everyone arguing in favour of the shooting a sociopath?

comment about a 4chan screen grab that I uploaded to show points of view, og threads, etc. Like those are my comments in the screen grab or are you trying to talk to the person in the screen grab?

and these type of comments being my favorite

The joke is that those aren’t video games

no shit Capt. Obvious

In the entry comments
When I make an entry I will put in the comments that, “I am working on the entry so save your comments” and still people will make a comment

+1 needs work

and people saying +1 to get a meme confirmed or deadpooled
hurr durr

also people who tell senior staff like Don stuff like

great entry I have seen this meme before but need to show more spread

SRSLY?
Like Don of all people doesn’t know how to write an entry?
WTF

But enough ranting about others and yes we all have our faults and we all make stupid comments and we all need to be put in check sometimes.
I try to go by the rules of the internet
(just a few of my personal favorite rules)

11. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.
12. Anything you say can and will be used against you.
13. Anything you say can be turned into something else. – fixed
14. Do not argue with trolls -- it means that they win.
15. The harder you try, the harder you will fail.
16. If you fail in epic proportions, it may just become a winning failure.
17. Every win fails eventually.
18. Everything that can be labeled, can be hated.
19. The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.
20. Nothing is to be taken seriously.
21. Original content is original only for a few seconds before getting old.
22. Copy ’n paste is made to ruin every last bit of originality.
23. Copy ’n paste is made to ruin every last bit of originality.
24. Every repost is always a repost of a repost.
25. Relation to the original topic decreases with every single post.
26. Any topic can be turned into something totally unrelated.

32. You must have pictures to prove your statements.
33. Lurk moar -- it’s never enough.

38. No real limits of any kind apply here -- not even the sky.

42. Nothing is Sacred.
43. The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it.

51. No matter what it is, it is somebody’s fetish. No exceptions.

71. The internet is SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS.

77. The internet makes you stupid.

84. All rules ARE true, including this one.
85. Retarded rules are forbidden.

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:33PM EDT

I’m pretty withdrawn so I try to be more outgoing when I’m online just so I can learn some social skills. But every time I start to feel like I’ve gotten the hang of things and start to feel competent, then boom, the internet hate machine rears its ugly head and I’m left wondering if I’m just being over-sensitive or if I’m actually doing something wrong. And now I’m all grumpy and ranting about it on a random post. Do you guys have any advice?

Well OP, I can tell you one thing:

People who go on massive downvoting sprees are considered incomprehensibly dickless cowards

So if you want to improve your social connections with other people here then I advise you not to do that. Don’t abuse the karma buttons. Use it calmly on a case-by-case basis

People who deserve to be downvoted include spammers, shitposters and ignoramuses. Try not to downvote people who just have a different opinion or like something different and never blindly mass downvote everyone in a discussion because one person in it ticked you off or you just dislike the content.

If you don’t like a subject, just leave it.

An important rule of thumb for you is “take nothing on the internet seriously”. That means you should not allow anything on the internet to throttle your emotions and ruin your day IRL. Because you could just be rustling your jimmies over just a well orchestrated troll effort for all you know

I know, it’s maddening when you browse Youtube comments on a cat video and suddenly people break out into a religious debate because they just had to do this on a cat video. Things like that can send even usually calm people into a fit of rage, and that downvote button is the closest you can get to mass murdering everyone involved. But life is too short to let thing like that ruin your day.

Learn to recognize when matters (no matter how stupid) don’t actually affect you, don’t need your input and don’t need your involvement. Then ignore them. Life becomes easier that way

Never forget the number one rule of good social skills: Don’t be a dick

Last edited Jul 11, 2013 at 07:02PM EDT
Jul 11, 2013 at 06:57PM EDT

BSoD said:

Never forget the number one rule of good social skills: Don’t be a dick

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:31PM EDT

Captain Blubber wrote:

Of all the asses in the whole wide world, I like hairy man asses the very most!
Yes, I stole this from Captain Badass.

I demand royalties.

Jul 11, 2013 at 08:27PM EDT

I just don’t downvote anything (except for one time and I wish I could take it back). If someone posts something I don’t like, I just ignore it and move on.

I post dumb shit all the time, so I wouldn’t feel right downvoting every dumb post I see.

Last edited Jul 11, 2013 at 11:56PM EDT
Jul 11, 2013 at 11:53PM EDT

The thing about social skills, I think, is that they come easily to most people. That means that either it’s a simple concept to grasp or it’s an ability that some people have and others have less of.

Practice makes perfect, but for someone like me who is only decent in social situations because he observes everything, I need to understand as much about situations as possible to feel confident enough to put theory into practice.

Those are ranty, useless thoughts. But I would say to observe everything, and to follow BSOD’s advice: Don’t be mean for no reason.

And yes, I will openly admit that a lot of people in Web Culture just plain get on my nerves. They’re mean, they’re obsessive, they’re weird, they’re needy…three of those four I generally don’t want to deal with, and I can only work with certain kinds of weird.

But I just go back to lurking when I want to insult everyone. I know I’ll calm down soon, and I won’t feel like busting people out for what they say. I’ve still got a few PM’s I need to respond to, but I rarely do unless I know I’m up to giving that person a decent response.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:23AM EDT

Judging by the Deactivation everyone’s advice went swimmingly.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:58PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!