Forums / Discussion / General

171,181 total conversations in 5,612 threads

+ New Thread


George Zimmerman found not guilty

Last posted Jul 15, 2013 at 12:49AM EDT. Added Jul 13, 2013 at 10:40PM EDT
30 posts from 24 users

The guy stalked and murdered a minor. I don’t know if this is a stronger case for the US’s constant racial struggles or the incompetence of the judicial system.

(i’m browsing stormfront right now and honestly, if nothing else, these guys know how to make an entertaing .gif out of the whole situation)

Last edited Jul 13, 2013 at 11:06PM EDT
Jul 13, 2013 at 10:44PM EDT
Quote

Hehehehe. The moment I saw this on my FB feed, I KNEW the shitstorm would begin

Whose got the popcorn?

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:53PM EDT
Quote

I didn’t actually follow the court case, but going on what I do know of the murder, I honestly think Zimmerman’s verdict could have gone either way and it would’ve made enough sense for me to accept it. The fact that everyone was making this a race issue is utterly ridiculous because Zimmerman did not seem to have very much of an impressive racist history unlike what the internet and media wants us to think. Everyone wanted to push their own agendas with this story, and frankly I care more that it’s over than what the final verdict actually is. He was found not guilty due to self defense? Good, we can now move on to another case that can have assumed racism or misogyny shoved into it simply to complicate things and push agendas.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:14PM EDT
Quote

Kyntak wrote:

Hehehehe. The moment I saw this on my FB feed, I KNEW the shitstorm would begin

Whose got the popcorn?

You ain’t gettin none.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:21PM EDT
Quote

Lone K. the X wrote:

You ain’t gettin none.

i_i Well.. well you’re not nice at all

Last edited Jul 13, 2013 at 11:29PM EDT
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:29PM EDT
Quote

I’m fucking done

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:31PM EDT

Crimson Locks wrote:

I didn’t actually follow the court case, but going on what I do know of the murder, I honestly think Zimmerman’s verdict could have gone either way and it would’ve made enough sense for me to accept it. The fact that everyone was making this a race issue is utterly ridiculous because Zimmerman did not seem to have very much of an impressive racist history unlike what the internet and media wants us to think. Everyone wanted to push their own agendas with this story, and frankly I care more that it’s over than what the final verdict actually is. He was found not guilty due to self defense? Good, we can now move on to another case that can have assumed racism or misogyny shoved into it simply to complicate things and push agendas.

I really don’t see how it’s “utterly ridiculous” that a man went out and followed a unarmed teenager who he recognized as black against the advice of the 911 dispatcher and brought a firearm with him. He later shoots him. Is it possible that it wasn’t at all race related? I guess. But honestly, you have to have your head pretty far up your own ass to believe it’s impossible.

Maybe you’re trying to play the “let’s calm down about this thing guys” card, but as you said yourself. You haven’t been following the case.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:34PM EDT
Quote

>inb4 frontier justice

(Yeah, yeah, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. But who the hell wants to look at the world anymore?)

Last edited Jul 13, 2013 at 11:44PM EDT
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:35PM EDT
Quote

>Reasonable doubt

Those two words need to be emphasized above all others. Above the “racism” and other silly straw man arguments that have no basis in fact or reality. The fact is, the prosecution failed utterly to show beyond those two words that Zimmerman violated the law. Witnesses gave conflicting testimony. The prosecution’s star witness gave conflicting statements. Forensic and physical evidence showed Trayvon was on top. Zimmerman had injuries. The chief investigator testifying for the prosecution said he believed Zimmerman.

What happened was sad, but there was no way this case really could have had any other outcome. People need to leave their emotions at the door and realize that the law is a cold, harsh mistress. It doesn’t care that Trayvon was 17. That he was doing nothing more than buying some snacks. It only cares about the facts and evidence. And those facts and evidence point to those two words.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:42PM EDT
Quote

Captain Blubber wrote:

I really don’t see how it’s “utterly ridiculous” that a man went out and followed a unarmed teenager who he recognized as black against the advice of the 911 dispatcher and brought a firearm with him. He later shoots him. Is it possible that it wasn’t at all race related? I guess. But honestly, you have to have your head pretty far up your own ass to believe it’s impossible.

Maybe you’re trying to play the “let’s calm down about this thing guys” card, but as you said yourself. You haven’t been following the case.

Well, he was a community watch captain, which could explain why he followed the teenager. Honestly, these occurrences could all be explained by a large variety of reasons.

Also, why not try updating those who have not been following? I’m sure this thread would appreciate some articles from both sides of the argument.

Edit: Cleared my head and reworded my statement a bit.

Last edited Jul 13, 2013 at 11:52PM EDT
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:47PM EDT
Quote

Aww forget it, you guys. I don’t want to argue about this.

Posting some of the .gifs i saw on stormfront.


Last edited Jul 13, 2013 at 11:53PM EDT
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:53PM EDT
Quote

I’ve never been following this story. Quite in the dark here.

So there’s two sides to this story and here’s what I’m just learning about those two sides in small pieces found on the linked page:

Story side A) Zimmerman saw Martin and decided “Hey look, a black guy. I’m going to follow him around with a gun and look for trouble”. Provoked Martin and shot him dead when Martin confronted him. Zimmerman calls this “Self defense”. Courts release him because hes Latino white. Racial justice bloggers erupt into furious rage and blame Obama

Story side B) Martin was some punk kid who for some reason thought Zimmerman owed him money and started pummeling Zimmermans face until Zimmerman managed to get his gun out (which he always keeps handy on his evening stroll) and shot him dead. Media blasts Zimmerman to pieces with slanderous portrayals and false accusations because “latino white guy shoots black kid” makes headlines. Racial justice bloggers erupt into furious rage and blame Obama

Now I can’t really tell which of these stories is most accurate here. Comments on this event are pretty polarized either way. Is there anyone that can give a proper break down of the two sides of the coin here?

Last edited Jul 14, 2013 at 12:48AM EDT
Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37AM EDT
Quote
Last edited Jul 14, 2013 at 01:34AM EDT
Jul 14, 2013 at 01:32AM EDT
Quote

xTSGx wrote:

>Reasonable doubt

Those two words need to be emphasized above all others. Above the “racism” and other silly straw man arguments that have no basis in fact or reality. The fact is, the prosecution failed utterly to show beyond those two words that Zimmerman violated the law. Witnesses gave conflicting testimony. The prosecution’s star witness gave conflicting statements. Forensic and physical evidence showed Trayvon was on top. Zimmerman had injuries. The chief investigator testifying for the prosecution said he believed Zimmerman.

What happened was sad, but there was no way this case really could have had any other outcome. People need to leave their emotions at the door and realize that the law is a cold, harsh mistress. It doesn’t care that Trayvon was 17. That he was doing nothing more than buying some snacks. It only cares about the facts and evidence. And those facts and evidence point to those two words.

Touché, good sir. You can’t let emotion rule your actions, even if the emotion itself is perfectly justified. A tip of the hat to you.

Jul 14, 2013 at 02:10AM EDT
Quote

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Touché, good sir. You can’t let emotion rule your actions, even if the emotion itself is perfectly justified. A tip of the hat to you.

Actually, sometimes you need as laws aren’t often followed at all. For an example, if a law is cold and harsh mistress, then what about NSA?

Last edited Jul 14, 2013 at 03:30AM EDT
Jul 14, 2013 at 03:26AM EDT
Quote

[Zimmerman’s defense attorney] Mark O’Mara: If George Zimmerman Were Black ‘He Never Would’ve Been Charged With A Crime’

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:30AM EDT
Quote

I only consider what the person did, not the skin color.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:45AM EDT
Quote

The more I think of it, I feel like murder charge was probably a little too much. I’d have gone with a manslaughter charge since Zimmernan was stalking Martin before the incident when he was told to stay back. Possibly could have avoided the whole thing happening. But anyhow…

The thing the really pissed me of though was that even freakin’ ESPN had to mention the trial today…THE FUCKING SPORTS NETWORK…they were sharing tweets of sports athletes reacting to the verdict (all of them against the verdict). Pfft…no wonder why I started having the TV off when I’m at home.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:50AM EDT
Quote

I believe this is a real life case of walking into the wrong neighborhood (motherfucker).

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:55AM EDT

Captain Badass wrote:

I believe this is a real life case of walking into the wrong neighborhood (motherfucker).

I’m going to hell for upvoting this, aren’t I?

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:55PM EDT
Quote

Assuming the story of “Dude shot black kid in self-defense” is completely accurate, I think Zimmerman is okay.
Of course, “completely accurate” is the question here I guess.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:49PM EDT
Quote

/b/ predicts a “chimpout”, which is racist slang for blacks rioting.

Jul 14, 2013 at 08:56PM EDT
Quote

I’m just glad they didn’t turn this into too much of a racial thing. I think that there are too many racist news topics out there, like how this Zimmerman case was. If it were a black guy shooting a white guy, would it be as big a news story as it is? No. This case shouldn’t have been a big national hate crime thing at all. Does anyone remember the two black kids who set a white kid on fire for ‘being white’? That didn’t go national but if it were two white kids burning a black kid, people would be jumping all over it like a group of fat kids diving at the last cupcake.

Last edited Jul 14, 2013 at 09:51PM EDT
Jul 14, 2013 at 09:50PM EDT
Quote

I’d really like to know what kind of verdict the prosecution was hoping to receive when they allowed a jury consisting of five white and one black hispanic (might as well be white also) women.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:52PM EDT
Quote

Now that I’ve followed up on the news on this event and reviewed the different arguments being passed. I think that both sides of the story have an element of truth.

I think Zimmerman is indeed not guilty of murder and did not intend to kill Martin BUT he is guilty of manslaughter and should receive a manslaughter charge or wrongful death. Either way he needs to pay some kind of concession to the grieving Martins for his negligence

This opinion stems from the undeniable fact that somebody got killed and the death could have been easily avoided just by Zimmerman not being where he shouldn’t have been.

The problem is Zimmerman going beyond the call of duty for a neighborhood watch officer. Profiling was involved but this does not necessarily mean racial profiling. Race in general does not play into this, neither does gun control.

Last edited Jul 15, 2013 at 12:52AM EDT
Jul 15, 2013 at 12:49AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!