Forums / Discussion / General

171,040 total conversations in 5,490 threads

+ New Thread

Kids react to racism video

Last posted Jul 15, 2013 at 06:57PM EDT. Added Jul 15, 2013 at 05:43PM EDT
4 posts from 2 users

Just watched this from the front page:

I’ve gotta say I needed this. I just finished re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird, which can be a really depressing look at racism, and these kids restored a little of my faith in humanity.

Anyone care to discuss the current state of racism in the world? I often tell myself that having a black President doesn’t mean racism is gone, but maybe things are better than my cynicism tells me it is anyway.

Jul 15, 2013 at 05:43PM EDT

Honestly. I’d like to see who is upset. A quick search shows a bunch of articles saying “controversial” but never say who was getting upset or where said controversy took place. I can’t even find any trace of these racist comments that everyone is upset about. The most I can tell is there were some mean comments on the youtube video which, it’s youtube people… there are going to be trolls and morons, don’t be ignorant about that fact.

But even the dislike bar is only 2k vs. the like bar which staggers with 57k (almost 28 times more likes), this ratio is not uncommon (and the dislikes might not have had anything to do with racism, but they just don’t like cheerios, or didn’t like the ads script.)

St. Louis Post puts it best in saying the reaction to the reaction was over-the-top

This just seems like [yet] another strawman for people to get mad at. And, my misanthropic brain tells me that, naturally, the Fine Bro.s decided to cash in this ‘controversy’.

Edit: Yes, I’m going to ruin the whole message of your thread with my cynicism :P

Last edited Jul 15, 2013 at 06:11PM EDT
Jul 15, 2013 at 06:04PM EDT

Yeah, I think the presence of negative reactions on YouTube means squat. What I like about the video above is that the kids seem to be so strongly not racist, to the point of being bewildered that there could be anything wrong.

I was the age of those kids in the ‘80s, and while racism was far from prevalent at the time, I’m pretty sure most kids at that time would not have reacted quite as innocently as these kids. Even if not racist, they probably would have known what was up, and not been surprised.

Edit: It’s okay, the point of my thread was partially cynicism to begin with.

Last edited Jul 15, 2013 at 06:17PM EDT
Jul 15, 2013 at 06:16PM EDT

If you want to see another video of children’s innocence there was a case study (you might have heard of it) in which a teacher ascribed blue eyed children as better than browned ones then switched the roles. On a somber note it shows how easily prevalent racism can become, and not needing anything but rumors and false claims to sustain itself. On the other hand, the children involved learned how utterly unfounded racism is.

Yay cynicism! :D

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:57PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!