Forums / Discussion / General

173,982 total conversations in 5,717 threads

+ New Thread

What about "Social Media"?

Last posted Jul 20, 2013 at 12:09AM EDT. Added Jul 18, 2013 at 05:22PM EDT
15 posts from 8 users

I’ve had a few discussion topic ideas kicking around for a few days, but then I saw the latest xkcd:

Does anybody else here feel this sort of weariness towards social media, or am I just getting old?

At times there seems to be an obsession by “old school” media to want to know what’s going on on Twitter, Facebook, etc., despite the fact that as far as I can tell, what’s going on in social media sites is largely meaningless. I think the people who want to know what’s happening on Facebook simply find out by logging into Facebook, not by watching CNN. Am I wrong? Or is it so obviously idiotic that it’s silly to have asked the question in the first place?

I guess I’ll bite.

I can’t say anything toward whether or not it’s from getting old – We’re probably close enough in age that if that were true, then I’d have the exact same opinion as you because of that.

I can say that social media has given the masses “a voice” on certain matters – much like unions give/gave voices to workers against corporations. The voice is a good thing – it means people can actually speak their mind and not be trodden on, and that there is a chance that there will always be someone who listens to them.

Unfortunately, people can be kind of stupid. The most uneducated, unfiltered crap gets through, and everyone jumps to reply or show how much they like something.

Go to any space-themed research news website with a comment section and a big story. I guarantee there will be at least one person who spews out something about children dying in Africa, or cancer patients dying “while we throw money away for useless science.” Go to YouTube, look at ANYTHING dealing with the Apollo program, and there will be people in the comments swearing they were faked and calling everyone else sheep for believing we landed on the Moon.

Hell, go to any meme on this website and see how many people leave a pointless +1 confirm/deadpool/work comment and nothing else, even though it’s just a waste of time. It’s the same crap everywhere.

Social media is a wonderful tool for bringing people together, and bringing attention to situations that would be overlooked otherwise. When used properly, it’s a good resource for a lot of things.

I don’t think people read the memo about it, though – it was longer than 140 characters.

Last edited Jul 18, 2013 at 07:15PM EDT

Crazy☾ wrote:

We’re probably close enough in age…

You know I’m nearly 41, right? I thought there was nobody on here besides myself and Vazquez who was over 35.

Unfortunately, people can be kind of stupid.

Do people want stupid, though? Sometimes I get the impression that it’s been a thing in politics that candidates (especially Republicans, but it may go both ways) call out their opponents for being too smart, although not in so many words. Personally, I want smart people feeding me my news and running my country, and would not be at all offended if they were smarter and/or more educated than me.

I don’t think people read the memo about it, though – it was longer than 140 characters.

I still am completely bewildered by the existence and purpose of Twitter.

Brucker wrote:

You know I’m nearly 41, right? I thought there was nobody on here besides myself and Vazquez who was over 35.

Nope. You’ve got nearly 15 years on me. I knew you were older than most, but I assumed late 20s, early 30s. Oh well. At least I can say it’s not just because you’re older.

Do people want stupid, though? Sometimes I get the impression that it’s been a thing in politics that candidates (especially Republicans, but it may go both ways) call out their opponents for being too smart, although not in so many words.

It’s an attack on elitism, which caters to lower classes and larger populations. I won’t get into the hypocrisy of the statements, just saying why they do it. Don’t see why they think it’ll work – they might win an election once, but they make a lot of enemies and are forced to walk a fine line afterward to make sure they don’t kill off their public.

I still am completely bewildered by the existence and purpose of Twitter.

You and me both.

@Doeoeod:

No, that’s supposed to make me feel young.

@thread:

I get the feeling that while not “getting” social media may have something to do with reaching adulthood before the advent of the World Wide Web, there must be people of all ages that don’t get it. I think the people running old school media likely don’t get it either, but think if they pretend to get it hard enough, newspapers and broadcast news will somehow magically not be the dinosaurs they are. Good luck with that.

Which leads to a semi-related question: Do any of you whipper-snappers read newspapers, or is that for people my age and older? (Where am I supposed to get a good bridge column once print papers are gone? Maybe someone’s blogging them?)

The video is about how news programs have a habit mixing together the reading of serious news with blaring rock music. John Oliver says near the end:

You’ve got the worst of both worlds. You’ve sucked the fun out of rock and the weight out of news. It’s like what the British people did with food; we removed both the flavor and the nutritional value. That’s right CNN, this rock segment is the news equivalent of boiled meat.

EDIT: Oh, did you get it to load?

Last edited Jul 19, 2013 at 08:44PM EDT

Regarding social media:

I don’t use it, unless you count tumblr, which I wouldn’t necessarily do. I recently deleted my Facebook because it was stupid, and I never used it. It just felt like another thing that I had to artificially force myself to care about and to maintain. The omnipresence of social media links created a backlash in my mind, I think, and now I refuse to use it at all. Two examples:

1. Facebook is everywhere.

EVERYWHERE. Literally every site you go to has a “Like this on Facebook!” or a “Sign in with Facebook” button, and KYM is clearly no exception. Since I’m strange about this sort of thing, I selectively adblocked all of the little Facebook applets on KYM and across the web, simply because it infuriated me seeing it everywhere. It’s something I have zero interest in being shoved in my face. Rather like any Pokemon anywhere, but that’s a different story.

2. Twitter hashtags. (#TW)

Honestly, I think the idea behind the hashtag is quite brilliant. It condensed the mess of tags into simple, memorable strings that could be repeated ad nauseam. And sometimes they can be used to great ironic effect, cf. the use of #tw in IRC. But, their ingenious simplicity can be quickly turned into insidious ubiquity. I was watching the new season of Whose Line, and I noticed that, at various points in the show, rather large hashtags were overlaid on the image; these included #WhoseLineIsBack, #WhatsInTheBag, #Bromance (when Colin predictably kissed both Wayne and Ryan). And when I say rather large, I mean they occupied the bottom quarter of the image.

First of all, who, and I mean who in the fuck live tweets while watching TV. What kind of person does it take to think that the inane drivel they spout while watching the show is of any interest to anyone else online? Don’t get me wrong, that inane drivel is a central component to the watching of any TV show or movie (see: Jerry Seinfeld), but I think that it’s really only enjoyable, and can only be reciprocated by another person in the same room with you. It just loses all of its poignancy when it’s done in a non-conversive, 140-characters-or-less microblogging situation.

Okay, so that’s probably also my main gripe with Twitter in general: the loss of poignancy in a conversation, both due to the character limit and to the fact that it is, well, a blog. I think this #TweetingWhileWatchingTV crap is just a very good example of why I hate Twitter.

So I hate social media in general. I hate what it stands for, and don’t even get me started about the people who, ahem, frequent it. Talk about #tw.

Now, about media.

I, like most people my age, get my news online. The nightly news broadcast really slit the tendons of print news, and we’re still seeing it die off. And arguably, the “24-hour news cycle” killed off both of the above in one fell swoop. All those channels like CNN periodically regurgitate the same drivel (I like that word, shut up) day in and day out, without resorting to any actual journalism. Having to fill 24 hours with live news broadcasts, while maintaining a budget, is a daunting challenge, and no one has so far succeeded. And of course there’s all the bias that’s present during such “coverage,” which is really appalling.

The one saving grace of the newspaper has been its, I would argue, largely successful transition to online formats. Many newspapers both have “live news” segments, where reporters can post stories, as well as a PDF (or equivalent) of an actual newspaper that can be viewed or downloaded. The nightly news broadcast is even being revived with shows on YouTube. So I would say that the classic newspaper/nightly news format hasn’t died off entirely, but rather, undergone a transition to the online world.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!